Author Topic: question about thunder titanium base plates  (Read 2891 times)

ass nugs

question about thunder titanium base plates
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »
are the base plates on the titanium lights made out of titanium, or are they the same as the other thunder lights/hollow lights? I am pretty sure the only material that is titanium on titanium lights is the axle but i just want to confirm on here.

BMCsteve

Re: question about thunder titanium base plates
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
They're forged aluminum, the same as lights and hollow lights.  You're correct, the only thing that is titanium is the axle

LennyDLXSF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
^^ correct!

BMCsteve

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
Also, just a heads up that if you light a light setup the titanium lights are INSANELY light.  311 grams for the 149's

ass nugs

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
Also, just a heads up that if you light a light setup the titanium lights are INSANELY light.  311 grams for the 149's

Indy Tis clock in at 340gms and they are silly light.

How light are regular thunder hollow lights?

BMCsteve

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy Tis clock in at 340gms and they are silly light.

How light are regular thunder hollow lights?

I've never had the hollow lights but I read somewhere that the 149 HL's are around 334g. 

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
Not sure what size you're looking into, but the 149 II's skate really well, and that's coming from an Indy guy (exclusively for the last 5 years).  Wanted to check out the new geometry and show DLX some love, and my titanium 149's were starting to get blown out despite changing pivot cups and bushings.  I can ride them really loose and the turn is great, because it feels more stable than Indy's through the first half or 2/3's of the turn, and gets really responsive and sporty feeling (think: cars) before the wheel bite kicks in.  The first month of skating them I was constantly swapping out my Indy's one session to the next.  Within the last month I can honestly say I'm a convert, and would probably splurge for the titanium set.  I have the super basic polished teams, not the lights or anything fancy.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Not sure what size you're looking into, but the 149 II's skate really well, and that's coming from an Indy guy (exclusively for the last 5 years).  Wanted to check out the new geometry and show DLX some love, and my titanium 149's were starting to get blown out despite changing pivot cups and bushings.  I can ride them really loose and the turn is great, because it feels more stable than Indy's through the first half or 2/3's of the turn, and gets really responsive and sporty feeling (think: cars) before the wheel bite kicks in.  The first month of skating them I was constantly swapping out my Indy's one session to the next.  Within the last month I can honestly say I'm a convert, and would probably splurge for the titanium set.  I have the super basic polished teams, not the lights or anything fancy.

It's pretty nerdy, but I take the titanium hangers off, and put them on the standard cast baseplates.

It keeps the weight down a bit, and they're about a 1/8" higher than the forged baseplates.

Definitely not too cost effective, or even an option for a lot of people (kids), but if you have the means, I would suggest giving it a try.

jamersonbass

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's pretty nerdy, but I take the titanium hangers off, and put them on the standard cast baseplates.

It keeps the weight down a bit, and they're about a 1/8" higher than the forged baseplates.

Definitely not too cost effective, or even an option for a lot of people (kids), but if you have the means, I would suggest giving it a try.

If my pivot cup, ahhh, receptacle area aren't blown out by the time I'm ready for new trucks I'll totally try this.  Love the height of the cast baseplates.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure what size you're looking into, but the 149 II's skate really well, and that's coming from an Indy guy (exclusively for the last 5 years).  Wanted to check out the new geometry and show DLX some love, and my titanium 149's were starting to get blown out despite changing pivot cups and bushings.  I can ride them really loose and the turn is great, because it feels more stable than Indy's through the first half or 2/3's of the turn, and gets really responsive and sporty feeling (think: cars) before the wheel bite kicks in.  The first month of skating them I was constantly swapping out my Indy's one session to the next.  Within the last month I can honestly say I'm a convert, and would probably splurge for the titanium set.  I have the super basic polished teams, not the lights or anything fancy.
[close]

I was actually thinking about doing this when I had cast plates around, but also throwing in hollow pins -  good to know I am not the only one ;) Couldn't you just use a 1/8" riser tho and leave the TIs intact?

Would one need to buy both sets in the same size or do the baseplates work between 143/145/147/149? And to the hollow light kingpins fit on the cast plates?

Are you using the stock bushings? I ride loose and like you were doing, I swap between them constantly (currently on thunders after a session last night on indys) because I love the stability and twitch/sporty feel but cannot for the life of me get them loose enough while keeping the bottom washer to retain stock geometry, without using bones softs and even then they get blown out because they are too soft and have to crank them down....this on on the hollow lights. I've tried khiro 78a, too soft but turned great for as long as they lasted (shredded them) khiro 85a still too hard, indy aftermarket 88a conicals, bones med bottoms, soft tops...same issues, there isn't enough room to loosen the nut to where I like without ditching the bottom washer thereby throwing off the geo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:21:40 PM by Xen »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
Titanium is known for being light, weak and soft. How does it translate while grinding? Grind king had some super soft formula, grinding to the super low axle was like a badge of honor.

BMCsteve

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 04:22:45 AM »
Titanium is known for being light, weak and soft. How does it translate while grinding? Grind king had some super soft formula, grinding to the super low axle was like a badge of honor.

Titanium is know for being light, strong and hard.  It has the highest strength to weight ratio of any readily available metal.  Besides, the AXLE is titanium, not the HANGER.  The hanger is the same aluminum as all other thunder trucks.

jamersonbass

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
Are you using the stock bushings? I ride loose and like you were doing, I swap between them constantly (currently on thunders after a session last night on indys) because I love the stability and twitch/sporty feel but cannot for the life of me get them loose enough while keeping the bottom washer to retain stock geometry, without using bones softs and even then they get blown out because they are too soft and have to crank them down....this on on the hollow lights. I've tried khiro 78a, too soft but turned great for as long as they lasted (shredded them) khiro 85a still too hard, indy aftermarket 88a conicals, bones med bottoms, soft tops...same issues, there isn't enough room to loosen the nut to where I like without ditching the bottom washer thereby throwing off the geo.

I am using the stock bushings.  I'm 6'3" so I'm guessing yours are a bit looser than mine, but the stock ones have been working great for me so far.  I always ran the Indy aftermarket or Bones mediums in my Indy's, but don't know what the go to replacement is for Thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »

I am using the stock bushings.  I'm 6'3" so I'm guessing yours are a bit looser than mine, but the stock ones have been working great for me so far.  I always ran the Indy aftermarket or Bones mediums in my Indy's, but don't know what the go to replacement is for Thunders.

5'11:/160lbs (avg.) and I ride pretty loose (not daweon loose mind you) that the stock bushings might as well be bones hards or fully cranked down; with the stocks, I couldn't loosen them enough with the nut coming off and I can't/won't skate that way to break them in - I might need to get a set of low bushings and use the top one or shave off my bones softs (or just stick with indy/ace/ventures).

BMCsteve

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

5'11:/160lbs (avg.) and I ride pretty loose (not daweon loose mind you) that the stock bushings might as well be bones hards or fully cranked down; with the stocks, I couldn't loosen them enough with the nut coming off and I can't/won't skate that way to break them in - I might need to get a set of low bushings and use the top one or shave off my bones softs (or just stick with indy/ace/ventures).

Try the 90a clear red aftermarket thunder rebuild kit.  They're labeled 90a which in theory should be the same as the stock white bushings but they are MUCH softer. 

my buddy just got them for that exact reason.  he had brand new stock white bushings and brand new clear red and they were way softer.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11181

Ripped laces also made the same observation about the stock clear bushings http://www.rippedlaces.com/2014/04/yes-the-new-thunder-149ii-is-different-better/

"The standard translucent bushings that came with our new Thunder 149II’s are softer in comparison to their other offerings. For instance, the Titanium Light Thunders come with a harder white bushing "

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
Titanium Magnesium is known for being light, weak and soft. How does it translate while grinding? Grind king had some super soft formula, grinding to the super low axle was like a badge of honor.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
If I could get my set of TI Kingpins in my indys (or any truck) it's all I'd ride; you have no idea just how heavy standard king pins are until you hold a theeve TI kingpin in hand.

Theeve needs to get off it's ass and release a forged and/or Ti plate version of the TiKing/TiH (preferably a TiKing to make a 53mm truck).