Author Topic: Standard Board Size Changing  (Read 2267 times)

boi-cuzudo

Re: Standard Board Size Changing
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
In Brazil it's rare to see 8.5, you usually have to import it. Most people ride 8 or less and 129mm trucks are quite common...

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »
In my area theres this weird trend where the shorter guys (including me) skate 8.5 while the taller guys skate 8-8.25. 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 04:39:57 PM »
8.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase seems like everything on the board wall right now
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

al_cvbrera

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »
8.25 is the perfect middleground for me. i’ll go for an 8.38 if i’m feeling extra trendy.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »
This is interesting to me now, I understand that people’s setups change regionally because of what they skate, I kinda keep to the ledge section of our park hence why my setup is smaller than most of the other people at the park. But geko said his indoor ( smaller park I assume) people are riding 8s and 8.1s, wonder if that has anything to do with it, I’m sure it’s number of things imitation, region, what park you skate, how you skate …hmmmm interesting topic of discussion

most strictly street skaters and ledge skaters ride around the 8"-8.25" but if you ride some transition they tend to bump it up to the 8.38" and 8.5" decks. and those bowl skaters that will hit the park here and there usually ride around 8.75"+. is my local scene in murrieta/temecula/lake elsinore area

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 08:16:24 AM »
if average is 8.25 what size trucks is the new standard

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »

147s? Depends

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 09:33:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

147s? Depends

I think the 148/144/5.6/other roughly 8.25” axle trucks are definitely the hottest selling size because they work well enough on the spectrum of the most popular deck sizes (8-8.5”). You really can run them on any of those sizes and not have issues. That said I’m flip flopping back to running 8” trucks on 8.1-8.25 boards because I’ve come to find I like a little magic carpet and never go over 8.25 anyway

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
id say it has to do with shoe size (12-13 US for me)
8.5 is my 8.0
8.6 is my 8.125
8.75 is my 8.25

i look ridiculous on anything sub 8.5 and style is everything
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 07:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

147s? Depends
[close]

I think the 148/144/5.6/other roughly 8.25” axle trucks are definitely the hottest selling size because they work well enough on the spectrum of the most popular deck sizes (8-8.5”). You really can run them on any of those sizes and not have issues. That said I’m flip flopping back to running 8” trucks on 8.1-8.25 boards because I’ve come to find I like a little magic carpet and never go over 8.25 anyway

I like this: 8-8.25 on 8 trucks. I think it reminds me of the proportions of 7.75 on 5.0s that I used so often back when.

Lots of good back and forth in this thread. Big fan. Thanks all

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
8.5 is my 8.0
8.6 is my 8.125
8.75 is my 8.25

Woooah That’s interesting, I can totally agree with that, that one guy Ben Schroeder for example, he’s huge and rides a smaller board. Or so it seems like. Not a fan, I feel like your board should be relative to your size, rob welsh small board bigger guy, loved his style and stuff but he def dwarfed his board maybe he’s  the exception…..
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 03:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7.75 is the answer
[close]
Yessir..I always come back to the 7.75
[close]

GANG !

Maybe I´ll join your gang again soon... I have been riding 8.0 for about 15 years now. I tried a 7.75 politic board once a couple of years ago and snapped it on day one. I blamed it on the board and switched back to 8 but landing on the nose on a bs flip probably destroys every board. Never really understood the big board trend but I guess that´s generational.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 05:42:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7.75 is the answer
[close]
[close]

GANG !
[close]

Maybe I´ll join your gang again soon... I have been riding 8.0 for about 15 years now. I tried a 7.75 politic board once a couple of years ago and snapped it on day one. I blamed it on the board and switched back to 8 but landing on the nose on a bs flip probably destroys every board. Never really understood the big board trend but I guess that´s generational.

Smaller boards can break easier.
I’ve blathered on about this a bit, but if I was to break equipment, in the act of skateboarding, well I’d be thrilled.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
Expand Quote
8.5 is my 8.0
8.6 is my 8.125
8.75 is my 8.25

[close]

Woooah That’s interesting, I can totally agree with that, that one guy Ben Schroeder for example, he’s huge and rides a smaller board. Or so it seems like. Not a fan, I feel like your board should be relative to your size, rob welsh small board bigger guy, loved his style and stuff but he def dwarfed his board maybe he’s  the exception…..

Yes, it is all relative.

Smaller pro dudes always look so well balanced on what are "normal sized" boards, which in fact would be an extra inch wider and a couple of inches longer for them, than a comparable board would be for me.

I thought I had seen a pic of Ben's board beside someone else's and it was a solid three or more inches longer (as well as wider than 9 or so too) but people do change up their setups, all going from big almost pig shapes (80s) down to slightly smaller popsicles (90s-00s) back up to bigger shaped and popsicle options currently.

Found these, but still not that big for him, if this is what he rides at 9.5 wide x 33.375 long, which is a huge board.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gLQRIt2CBS8/Sp6b_TU2pEI/AAAAAAAAAys/tXceph3sKvo/s1600-h/BenS_NewBoards.png

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:08:21 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7.75 is the answer
[close]
[close]

GANG !
[close]

[close]

Smaller boards can break easier.
I’ve blathered on about this a bit, but if I was to break equipment, in the act of skateboarding, well I’d be thrilled.

I hate to admit it but at my age/skate frequency atm I feel kind of similar, however I still do break boards here and there. When I was younger I snapped so many it really became a problem. That being said I was never really good and far from overweight and snapped most skating flatground.

The Next Board I have on ice is a shopboard from my local where this is the first run they made an 8.0 again so maybe board sizes go down here as well.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2021, 09:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
8.5 is my 8.0
8.6 is my 8.125
8.75 is my 8.25

[close]

Pretty sure Shroeder rides at least a 9.5" most of the time... Not sure how you can't be a Shroeder fan.