Author Topic: The shitty truck thread  (Read 27732 times)

Jordick

The shitty truck thread
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:49 AM »
Post whatever about shitty trucks, whether they are ugly as shit, stupid color way/graphic, or just were shitty trucks.

N.L.

Re: The shitty truck thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »
Any truck that isn't Indy, Thunder, Krux or Ace....

Seriously though, I wish I had a photo of these plastic baseplate Trackers that Mike McGill forced on me. One long-distance ollie to axle and the baseplates ripped right off. Shit. Never forgave McGill for that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:50:38 AM by N.L. »

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
I had some Silvers when I was younger and they had just came out.  A few months after getting them (but hadn't skated them much because I got them for Christmas and I was in Chicago), the pivot snapped in half doing a 180 on flat.  I mean the actual "metal" part that goes into the pivot cap too.  I returned them and got another pair of Silvers (or maybe it was just the one?  I don't remember.) for like half price.  A week or two later, I did a pop shove it on flat, it started to flip and I landed primo.  I noticed the board wasn't rolling right so I looked at my trucks and noticed one of the front wheels wasn't touching the ground.  I pried it off and the axel was bent so badly that I couldn't get the wheel back on.  I went to the skateshop and asked the manager about it.  Apparently so many people were coming back to the shops to return their pairs or complain that they had a box full of Silvers that they were shipping back to Syndrome.  I threw mine in that pile, bought a pair of Thunders and have never looked back.

dillanharp

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
I snapped the kingpin on a pair of Orions in 96 when I weighed 110lbs. Had the trucks for like 2 months.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
Old School Graphite Gullwings, ground down to the axles in a few hours.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »
i heard ace trucks suck dick (whats up vegan)

pinch a loaf

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
I tried some and they will not grind. Hop on something and they just stop. Fine for a cruiser I guess.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Tensor Maglights are only good for the crazy light baseplate with a different hanger.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »

I saw a dude skating these last week. They were his "chunky coping truck". They seemed to grind well and they still sounded like a grind because the axle was sticking out (probably doesn't take long). Still think copers would do the same thing.

What was that "Batwing" truck? Those were the worst...

FrenchFuck

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
Any truck that isn't Indy, Thunder, Krux or Ace

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
Theeve CSX V3. Garbage! Quality was just terrible, axles weren't the same diameter on both sides. Grind like shit too.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

Best trucks on the market, I have had no issues with them. Ground two pairs to the axle. They are like old indy's but way lighter.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »

"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »

I had these, Birdhouse board and I think Union wheels. The clip basically broke within the first couple of weeks making the trucks useless.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there are other brand that have great product but people are to used to the big ones and scared to try new things.
If i was like BMC i would buy all this different brands just to try them out.
The other day i saw some Destructo X Antiz truck in my local that looked really great, hollow king pin and a indy kinda silhuette. They looked quality.
Also Fury, i dont know whats up with the brand, i dont see any marketing to them but they done a Sweet skateboard collab maybe 2 years ago. That time Sweet was big in Portugal and was found everywhere, so many people rode the trucks, including a friend of mine that really liked his pair. I really loved their lowcard collab!
Oh an theeve, i've heard mixed experiences but i think they look good, just never really saw a pair in person, except for some old ass CSX ones...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 05:49:10 AM »
Expand Quote
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r643/darb7/Gullwingiv_zps6d8d05db.jpg
[close]

I saw a dude skating these last week. They were his "chunky coping truck". They seemed to grind well and they still sounded like a grind because the axle was sticking out (probably doesn't take long). Still think copers would do the same thing.

What was that "Batwing" truck? Those were the worst...

do you mean these?

BMCsteve

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think there are other brand that have great product but people are to used to the big ones and scared to try new things.
If i was like BMC i would buy all this different brands just to try them out.
The other day i saw some Destructo X Antiz truck in my local that looked really great, hollow king pin and a indy kinda silhuette. They looked quality.
Also Fury, i dont know whats up with the brand, i dont see any marketing to them but they done a Sweet skateboard collab maybe 2 years ago. That time Sweet was big in Portugal and was found everywhere, so many people rode the trucks, including a friend of mine that really liked his pair. I really loved their lowcard collab!
Oh an theeve, i've heard mixed experiences but i think they look good, just never really saw a pair in person, except for some old ass CSX ones...

I like to waste my money so you guys don't have to :)

Over the years I've only had two pairs of trucks that I would consider shitty - Tensor Magnesium R2 (had those around 2006) and Titan Ti-Lite (around 2004 I think).  I hate to call Theeve a bad truck but I had two pairs of Tiking's where the kingpin rounded off the baseplate and literally fell out of the truck.  Unfortunately that was enough to make me give up on an otherwise great truck.

Every other truck I've skated comes down to preference.  I have not skated Silver, Royal, Mini Logo or Ace

Right now I'm on Indy 149 Ti and I don't see myself switching any time soon

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
Indy's are the only trucks I've had where the hanger literally cracked in two. Skating flat and manuals mainly.

Venture used to have axels that slipped all the time too...

Did anyone ever skate Ricky Oyola's fave the Zed Roller?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

JAesop

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
Theeve were def not for me either. The whole bushing/ pivot issue and I didn't like the geometry. L

Oh yeah and Ranalli or Motobuilt. The Ranalli hangers would bend in about a minute. But that was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:53:01 AM by JAesop »

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
Royal 5's. Tried them when they first came out.Positives were that they turned pretty good and was a good weight, negative was that the kingpin and the pivot on the trucks were like glass. Indy and Thunder and fuck everything else

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
Other than Indys I've only owned three other sets of trucks from when I started til now (not including some shitty action trucks I had on an Xgames deck, which was my first board ever):
Destructo
Royal
Venture
I was not a fan of the Royals. The turning was meh, and they grinded weird; it was a weird laggy feeling grind, I had to kinda tug forward a bit while grinding to get a good grind out of them. Imagine the feeling of grinding on an underwaxed chunky curb; that's how they felt everytime, even on really smooth and waxed curbs. I ended breaking them on some flatground trick that I can't remember a week after getting them. The kingpin and baseplate both broke at once. I've heard they've fixed them up since then and that they're a lot better now, and I have at least a couple friends who swear by them, but I think I'm good on trying another pair.

I remember I needed some new trucks one summer, and I had been saving all my money up for a while to buy some. I went to the shop and asked for Indys, but they were all out and didn't know when the next NHS shipment was. I needed trucks really bad, and the only trucks they had that seemed worth getting were some Ventures; low 5.0's with a red hanger and white baseplate. I didn't wanna wait lord knows how long for the next Indy package to arrive at the shop, so I bought the ventures. Right off the bat, the turning bothered the shit outta me. I can't really explain it but they just didn't feel right. This was around the time when I rode super loose trucks too, and for some reason I just could not make them loose enough no matter how hard I tried. It wasn't til I cut the bushings in half and ditched the bottom washers until I finally got them to my liking, and even then they still turned very weird to me. They grinded okay and held up well, but I just couldn't learn to like how they turned. I was so bummed because I was young at the time and money was hard to come by, so I was stuck with those trucks for the whole summer before I had enough money again to buy some Indys. Lesson learned: Stick with what you know you like, unless you are financially stable enough to experiment.

As for the destructos.... I liked em. They grinded well, and the turning felt very close to Indys if I remember correctly. Ended up cracking the hangers on one of the trucks though after only a month or so.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
The only trucks i had that were so bad were some Theeve CSX- i had to put the old thunders back on and pretty much never rode anything else besides the 147 hi's
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 09:19:04 PM »
I only needed five minutes riding and "grinding" on my friend's z-rollers to know that gimmick was unrideable.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
Z-rollers are extremely heavy. They were fun to ride on the street for the gimmick though. You could literally just roll up a curb and keep grinding/rolling as long as you wanted.

I wish I still had my old pair, people pay a lot for them on eBay.

N.L.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Stage 9 were terrible.

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
How about the worst (or least favourite perhaps) stage of Indies? I liked the 10s a lot more than the 11s due to the height, but the extra clearance on the 11s is nice.
Just get stage 11 with forged baseplate then....(Hollows, Titaniums) Same height as standard stage 10....

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »
Stage 9 were terrible.
Indeed. Either the baseplate would crack because of the holes they intentionally put in the middle, or they would get an axle slip.
I haven't tried the stage 11s yet so I can't say; still on a set of stage 10s I got a year or two back.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
Quote from: TehPwnzorer  link=topic=86849.msg2363426#msg2363426 date=1438554811
Expand Quote
How about the worst (or least favourite perhaps) stage of Indies? I liked the 10s a lot more than the 11s due to the height, but the extra clearance on the 11s is nice.
[close]
Just get stage 11 with forged baseplate then....(Hollows, Titaniums) Same height as standard stage 10....

I'm an asshole but 55mm feels too tall (even on theeves and ACES) at times, especially with conical bushings; I prefer mid trucks/forged plates.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Stage 9 were terrible.
[close]
Indeed. Either the baseplate would crack because of the holes they intentionally put in the middle, or they would get an axle slip.
I haven't tried the stage 11s yet so I can't say; still on a set of stage 10s I got a year or two back.

I really like my stage 11... I got the forged ones so i dont have the additional height problem.
The 9's are indeed the worst, my friends had some reynolds (the white and gold ones) and they were shitty, cracked baseplates and slipping axle in no time... But the 9 lows were some nightmare shit, other friend of mine had the koston's (black and gold) and they were bad in every way possible!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »
stage 8s best Indys, still have a pretty new set that I'm probably never going to skate