Author Topic: Taking my board on international flights  (Read 1940 times)

gettobird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Taking my board on international flights
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:16:02 AM »
Hello Slap. I am going on a 5 week trip thru Europe with my gf and I really want to bring my board. Can I bring it with me as a carry on or will I have to put it with my checked in luggage? Will the airports give me a hard time? Will I have to pay an extra fee or something? I'm leaving from LAX, landing in Paris and my airline is Norwegian. I know I can probably google this or call the airline for info but I would rather ask yall and read some of your experiences.

MR102889

• Rep: 30
Re: Taking my board on international flights
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 05:54:13 AM »
For international flights, I've always put my board in my checked-in luggage as I've always gotten hassled from the airline's employees regarding the board. I've never had an issue bringing my board as a carry-on for national flights.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 06:42:07 AM »
if its attached to your carry on its part of your carry on.  if its not attached to anything its "sporting equipment" and you have to pay to have it put in luggage.  i had an issue twice with TSA (not the airline) but i was just instiant the airline allows it.  it worked both times.  if its a super crowded flight the flight attendnent may ask you to put it in the overflow storage cabinet in the area between business and economy.   
i just want to add- most airport staff wont even "see it" its like looking at an alien to them, their eyes register it but their brain wont. just act like it belongs there.

if you want to make your wife cringe and make the drunk guy in front of you laugh yell "do a kick flip" as the attendant carries your board to the front.  it works every time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:43:44 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:25 AM »
You'll find a shit load of results from here (many of them recent) if you Google "skateboard on airplane slap magazine" or something like that.

I've never had an issue bringing a skateboard as a carry-on. But I usually strap to bottom of duffel or wedge between my back and backpack, so it's as inconspicuous as possible.

If I'm traveling somewhere for a month or longer, most of the time I'll just pack the trucks/wheels in my carry-on and buy a shop deck wherever I'm visiting.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:27:05 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem on Norwegian. If you only have 1 piece of carry-on + the board you should be fine. If you try to do 1 + 1 + 1 they might want to have you check it if it's a full flight.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem on Norwegian. If you only have 1 piece of carry-on + the board you should be fine. If you try to do 1 + 1 + 1 they might want to have you check it if it's a full flight.

Thanks! I was about to ask about Norwegian Airlines. Perfect timing, Slap!

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
Anyone have any experiences bringing their board on a international flight with American Airlines and British airways?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 01:18:30 PM »
Depends how you pack it. Figure out a discreet set up, definitely take the trucks/wheels off and store them in your main bag compartment.

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 03:04:52 AM »
Anyone have any experiences bringing their board on a international flight with American Airlines and British airways?
I flew AA three times internationally and would just pack my board in my suitcase, which was checked. Never an issue with customs, etc.  If you mean as a carry on, i think you could just strap it to your backpack, stick it in overhead, and be fine. 
"Give it a name."

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 05:35:39 AM »

I fly with American all the time for work and bring my board every time. I just carry it on no problems it’s considered a personal item. I flew to Spain a few months back no problems on the way there but they made me check it on the way back. That’s been my experience with every international flight I’ve taken though, I’ve always had to check it but not domestically.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't trust Norwegians, they banned skating at one point.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 03:22:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I don't trust Norwegians, they banned skating at one point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ_285hGXW0
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:44 AM »
I recently traveled with it as a carry on and had it strapped to my backpack and it was no problems although I'm sure different airlines have different policies. Also possibly depending who's working and if they wanna make a thing out of it. I got stopped after it went through the machine and I was thinking they were going to say I had to check in my board but instead they just confiscated my skate tool that I forgot was in my bag. Kind of weird they won't allow a tiny tool yet let the possible weapon through without blinking haha