Author Topic: What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled?  (Read 20576 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled?
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
I say most interesting but I'd like this to be all encompassing. I'm keen on also hearing about the most dangerous, dirtiest, place with the most attractive women, cheapest, most expensive, was totally not what you expected, etc.... Basically if you've got anything to say about a place you've traveled that stands out let's hear it!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
Cape Town in South Africa probably hits all of them except for most attractive women, which is in Prague (and they are also mostly hookers or mob wives, so you might die if you hit on them).

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »
I don't have a most interesting, but the country of Colombia has the best looking people on the planet, serious genetic mashup that always comes out right. I was scared to go, but slept on the streets there and went all over and came out the other end one month later. Stick and poked myself in the mountains on my bday and lost my mind with the village poet. Good times.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:32:05 PM by botefdunn »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
Most interesting places I've been, in my opinion: China, Japan, Catalina Island, SF/Oakland

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
Personally, I'd have to say the most interesting places I've been are Thailand and Albania. SE Asia and Eastern Europe/the Balkans are super interesting regions.

Bangkok to me is such an insane experience if you dive into the seedy underbelly of it all - the prostitutes, the drugs, the corrupt police, the start-up scene, trannies, ping pong shows, etc... then you add in the actual politics of the country and it's mind boggling. All that combined with the tropical weather, beaches, and resorts where a lot of people stay and see none of it.  You could also go somewhere like Chiang Mia which is completely different. That's just Thailand though, there's still all the other countries in the region as well.

Eastern Europe is heartwarming. People still have this idea that it's dangerous but the women are beautiful, people insanely trusting as well as caring, and all the history dates back along with being recent.  I lived in Poland for a while then Serbia for a bit. Albania is the place to go if you're searching for "that" feeling though. The highways are dirt roads, prices super cheap for everything, and wandering around feels like a time warp. Public transportation doesn't exist so people have literally taken it upon themselves to show up to some petrol station everyday in an Astro van and charge everyone 2 or 3 bucks to load in and go to whatever city.

Now, as far as most interesting experience goes, I was kidnapped by the police in Mexico once. They pulled me away from my table for one as I was enjoying some tacos and a Margarita to frisk me. When they pulled out my pocket knife they told me pocket knifes were illegal in Mexico and threw the cuffs on me. These guys fucked with me for a while, stopped for drinks at a bar I'd been to before, then fake arrested and threw one of their friends they just shared a beer with in the back seat with me. I asked him why he was back there and he said "pocket knife" in a super crazy accent then I asked him why he didn't have cuffs on and he gave me the "ssssshhhh" sign like "don't tell them, they forgot to put them on me" haha. I started pleading and saying things like I was still a virgin, I only came down to buy cigarettes because I wasn't old enough to get them in the states, that I'd never been in a serious relationship, and basically anything else they might believe and would make them sympathize.

Dude eventually stops in this seedy alley, tells me whatever deal we make is between him and I so to stop saying anything in the car. I say take whatever you want know then and let me go. He keeps my garage door opener, the pocket knife, and my 50 bucks. I still had my credit cards so on the way back I bought churros and the carton of Lucky Strikes I went there for. Best goddamn cigarettes I've ever smoked, best food I've ever eaten.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:15:45 AM »
Historically: Egypt (the Pyramids) Greece (Parthenon) Vietnam (Hue/Hoi An) Jordan (Petra)

Topography: Iceland, Okinawa, Palawan.

Sex, drugs and rock and roll: Denmark (Christiana), Thailand (Bangkok), Amsterdam.

Japan is probably up there for sheer culture shock but it is actually really normal in a weird way...

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

N.L.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:07:32 AM »
The Seychelles or perhaps Tillamook Oregon. Tough call.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »
Most dangerous/ crowded/ dirty/ downright sketchy for me is Bangladesh. I'm actually posting from there as week speak.
It's my 3rd time and it still trips me out...
Having said that if I lived here I'd probably get used to it. Manila and Kathmandu tripped me out too the first few times I went there but now I'm used to it. It's like what frip was hinting at I think, sure Japan (and many other places) seems pretty trippy for a FOB but after living there for over 10 years now it has become my norm.
I really enjoyed my last trip to Nepal, tis a shame about the recent earthquake :'(

Cheapest = Vietnam. Also a contender for best food imho
Jakarta reminded me of Manila a lot i.e. SE asian ghetto slum planted next to a a huge shopping mall full of rich people, rinse and repeat x100. Would love to see somewhere outside of the big smoke there though. I guess this is true for most places I visit as I'm usually there for work.
I really like Seoul as a city and think it will be the next China in terms of untapped skate spots (having been saying this for years now). Great foodie/ cafe/ nightlife scene too. Reckon it could outparty Tokyo any day of the week too
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:18:52 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
Good info. When someone says a place is sketchy or or tripped them out it makes me want to go there haha.

I'm actually debating on what trips to take this year - Colombia/Peru, South Africa/Ethiopia, China/South Korea, Moscow/St. Petersburg. I'll probably try to do two and leaning towards the Colombia/Peru and China/SK trips.

Shit, speaking of sketchy, lots of that in Midtown NYC or skid row in LA.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
Good info. When someone says a place is sketchy or or tripped them out it makes me want to go there haha.

I'm actually debating on what trips to take this year - Colombia/Peru, South Africa/Ethiopia, China/South Korea, Moscow/St. Petersburg. I'll probably try to do two and leaning towards the Colombia/Peru and China/SK trips.

Yeah, I mean sketchy is all relative really. People think Manila is sketchy but I never thought it was that bad.
Bangladesh though ... I don't know. Maybe it's just overwhelming due to all the people/traffic (I'm talking Dhaka here) coupled with not speaking the language?
Heard Uzbekistan is pretty sketchy. On the flipside I've only ever heard good things about Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

aleksander

• Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »

Man, I had a trip planned to Ethiopia this summer that fell through. Had been studying Amharic, planned out our route and everything, but then got denied at the border because, ironically enough, my wife is Colombian and they wouldn't give her a visa. Insane stuff to see there, especially Omo Valley and the Danakil Depression. Hopefully some day...

Most eye-opening for me was Havana.

"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I mean sketchy is all relative really. People think Manila is sketchy but I never thought it was that bad.
Bangladesh though ... I don't know. Maybe it's just overwhelming due to all the people/traffic (I'm talking Dhaka here) coupled with not speaking the language?
Heard Uzbekistan is pretty sketchy. On the flipside I've only ever heard good things about Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Yeah, Myanmar nor Sri Lanka were sketchy to me. Myanmar has some of the most amazing food, tons of temples, and as a visitor there the people are  nothing but hospitable. When you look at the government, politics, and what life's like for most people - what you're not allowed to see - then it's a different story.

Sri Lanka had the recently uncovered genocide atrocities I think? When I was there it felt to me like a much less intense India. The food's a bit spicier, more coconut used in ingredients for things, and Sri Lankan airlines is one of my favorite airlines.

I never thought of Manilla as that bad. Haven't been to Bangladesh but a co-worker of mine just got back - his fiance is from there. He didn't say anything too crazy about it, really. From the documentaries I've seen that took place there it looks like there's tons of gnarly shit that goes on.

Aleksander, how was Havana eye-opening for you? I haven't really looked into it yet but hopefully it's not too hard to do Ethiopia and South Africa in the same trip.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
I'm not 100 on "most interesting", i've been all over the USA, some of my favorite spots were just random towns in the middle of nowhere that had funny names though like "Arcade, NY". I was all spun out on acid and trying to think that it was infact an arcade and that donkey kong and miss pacman would come out of nowhere.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Australia! I went expecting minimal culture shock, everything is so different. Everyone has pets, everyone owns a boat, everyone has money and even the wealthy are upfront racists. They claim everything in Australia is the best in the world. Girls will approach you, just to talk. Here girls need to be hunted they would never approach a random stranger. There's so much money changing hands all the time, a muffin costs 4$ yet a pack of rolling papers is 49 cents. Also any idiot can get a job in Australia, and earn double what they currently make. Slappers should all get work permits hahah

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
Girls will approach you, just to talk. Here girls need to be hunted they would never approach a random stranger.
Girls come up to you just to talk. Sounds fucking annoying and just like the states. You "hunt girls" in Canada?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Girls will approach you, just to talk. Here girls need to be hunted they would never approach a random stranger.
[close]
Girls come up to you just to talk. Sounds fucking annoying and just like the states. You "hunt girls" in Canada?
How many hot girls just approach you in the streets in the USA? I'm not talking about hookers just normal people

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
How many hot girls just approach you in the streets in the USA? I'm not talking about hookers just normal people
Tons in certain parts of the country man. Go to California and tell me girls don't want to annoy the shit out of you in random places like waiting to get a cheeseburger.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
Haven't been to Bangladesh but a co-worker of mine just got back - his fiance is from there. He didn't say anything too crazy about it, really. From the documentaries I've seen that took place there it looks like there's tons of gnarly shit that goes on.

relevant news from other thread: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33819032
That's some gnarly shit!!!
Have you seen that vice documentary about voting/ riots here? Bangladesh can crazy with the best of them, I retract my previous statement of it maybe not being sketchy
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:26:39 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 03:38:20 AM »
I just stayed over in Manila for a night and confirm it is a hole. Not sure how dangerous it is though. Just shitty.

If you want to feel poor head to Norway or most of the Scandinavian countries.

Atlantic City and Harlem (early 90's) seemed pretty sketchy to me. South America too.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
The Tenderloin, pre-Twitter. LA's skid row used to be post-apocalyptic, so that was fun.

I haven't really been able to travel to any of the places I actually want to travel to. Been to UK/various western European countries a few times not by choice, but I couldn't really give a shit about Europe. I can't be that far North. I do really like Spain though. Madrid and Barcelona are beautiful. Hopefully at some point in my life I'll get to head down to South America, especially Argentina and Peru. Would like to go to Cuba sometime as well.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
The Tenderloin, pre-Twitter. LA's skid row used to be post-apocalyptic, so that was fun.

I haven't really been able to travel to any of the places I actually want to travel to. Been to UK/various western European countries a few times not by choice, but I couldn't really give a shit about Europe. I can't be that far North. I do really like Spain though. Madrid and Barcelona are beautiful. Hopefully at some point in my life I'll get to head down to South America, especially Argentina and Peru. Would like to go to Cuba sometime as well.

not trying to get into an internet fight really, but this just makes you sound like an ignorant American. I mean, if you really like Spain, you'll probaby like Portugal, Italy, the south of France, Greece etc. and that's all Europe.

Anyways, here are the places that tripped me out:

China in 2005: I felt like I was on Mars, super hard to communicate with people because of the language barrier.

Egypt before the regime change: VERY militarized and touristy at the same time. weird.

Iceland: craziest landscapes.

Also I was in Colombia last December, super fun, but you really feel like you have to watch your back. Nothing happened, but still you can feel it.

JAesop

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
Scenic- Scotland and Iceland
Poorest but probably most friendly people I've ever met were on the island of Grenada.
Most fun ever on a skateboard- winter in Dayton Ohio in a parking garage after a Cow Skates contest. I was so hyped from seeing actual pros for the first time in person that me and my crew skated for hours in 16 degree weather. Broke a baseplate it was so cold.Pure stoke. Which goes to show sometimes it isn't the place but the mindset.
Travel is the best thing to open your mind.

k7vin

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »
Stoked to read that many places all over South East Asia; this part of the world is so gnarly! Indonesia was insane to me - both the big city like Jakarta (completely insane for a 'caucasian person' as they say) and the completely remote places like the Toba Lake

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 02:40:48 AM »
Stoked to read that many places all over South East Asia; this part of the world is so gnarly! Indonesia was insane to me - both the big city like Jakarta (completely insane for a 'caucasian person' as they say) and the completely remote places like the Toba Lake

Lake Toba is a beautiful spot byt so is most of Sumatra- especially Aceh.

I've done a fair bit of traveling around Asia and the Middle East. I've been pretty lucky in avoiding anything too dangerous but have still found myself in a few tricky situations over the years.

Egypt is probably my favourite country I've ever been. It has such a great mix of ancient cultures, beautiful landscapes, amazing food, interesting 21st century present day culture and crazy politics. I was there in 2012 whilst the Arab Spring was on. I spent a fair bit of time up at Tahrir Square which was amazing. I read that at some of the protests I was at, there were 200,000+ people in attendance.

As mentioned by a few people, Manila is a pretty nasty joint. I love the Philippines but try to avoid Manila at all costs. Something about just feels way dodgier than the usual Asian city. One time I was walking along side a canal and these two naked boys jumped out. One of them reached into his ass and pulled out a folded up piece of paper and they ran off.

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
As mentioned by a few people, Manila is a pretty nasty joint. I love the Philippines but try to avoid Manila at all costs. Something about just feels way dodgier than the usual Asian city. One time I was walking along side a canal and these two naked boys jumped out. One of them reached into his ass and pulled out a folded up piece of paper and they ran off.

WTF ??? I just got back from Manila again on Monday and all I have to say is .... FUCK that traffic!! Ugh, it's seriously getting worse than Dhaka.
Having said that, if I was 15 years younger and didn't have to be there for work I would wake up at midnight, catch a taxi over to Bonafacio/ The Fort and tear that place a new one. Soooo much untouched marble/ skateable architecture there :o

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »
My first wife was Indian, so we went to see her extended family and just sort of take it in. She was born there but left when she was very very young, like as soon as her mom was able to get on a plane young, and hadn't been back.

That place is a dangerous shit hole.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 02:47:23 AM »
Hanover, New Hampshire. Realest spot on the East Coast. If you're lucky you can crush a shopping cart in a trash compactor there.

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
well i grew up in Cuba and i can tell you out of the few places ive been its definitely the most interesting. Cancun is pretty cool too, i just didnt like how dangerous it was to be outside at night (not down to get kidnapped). Cuba kills it, its safe, its cheap, its dirty, and chicks will drop panties for anyone with an american passport. Seems like its easier than ever to go there now

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
The navy took me to Colombo, Sri Lanka and Noumea, New Caledonia.  There were some decent spots, but I really enjoyed the food and tea.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
Where do people have planned for upcoming travel?

I got back from a trip to Turkey and Ireland a few months back so won't be heading away any time soon unfortunately. I reckon next trip will be back to Indonesia (keen to check out Sulawesi) or to Burma perhaps
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps