Author Topic: What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled?  (Read 20578 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »
Where do people have planned for upcoming travel?

I got back from a trip to Turkey and Ireland a few months back so won't be heading away any time soon unfortunately. I reckon next trip will be back to Indonesia (keen to check out Sulawesi) or to Burma perhaps

Headed to Shanghai (for work) next month. Not really that interesting in the scheme of things... have heard great things about Burma/ Myanmar, all of the pics from there look crazy too! Never been outside Jakarta in Indonesia so my memories of there are just like any other huge city in SE Asia - tonnes of traffic, pollution, ghettos and shopping malls (oh yeah and 50 yo white guys with 25 yo "girlfriends" hanging off their arms)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Where do people have planned for upcoming travel?

I got back from a trip to Turkey and Ireland a few months back so won't be heading away any time soon unfortunately. I reckon next trip will be back to Indonesia (keen to check out Sulawesi) or to Burma perhaps
[close]

Headed to Shanghai (for work) next month. Not really that interesting in the scheme of things... have heard great things about Burma/ Myanmar, all of the pics from there look crazy too! Never been outside Jakarta in Indonesia so my memories of there are just like any other huge city in SE Asia - tonnes of traffic, pollution, ghettos and shopping malls (oh yeah and 50 yo white guys with 25 yo "girlfriends" hanging off their arms)

I haven't been to Jakarta. I applied for a job there last year and was unsuccessful. I'm actually kind of glad now that I think back.

I've only been to Sumatra. It was great. Beautiful natural scenery- mountains, beaches, jungles etc and probably the friendliest people I've ever met. Made getting about and meeting people super easy.

Have fun in Shanghai
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 03:26:57 AM »
I've been living in Jakarta for the past 9 months or so. GISM's description is pretty spot on, but there is also heaps of cool shit going on. Decent skate scene from what I can tell, and a huge custom/ vintage motorcycle scene too, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am. It's not an easy place to live and you have to figure out how to tap into it, but once you do it's an interesting place. And it's cheap and easy to get to some epic tropical paradii.

Just got back from a work trip to Cambodia, next stop Christmas in Lombok.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
I've been living in Jakarta for the past 9 months or so. GISM's description is pretty spot on, but there is also heaps of cool shit going on. Decent skate scene from what I can tell, and a huge custom/ vintage motorcycle scene too, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am. It's not an easy place to live and you have to figure out how to tap into it, but once you do it's an interesting place.

Oh I'm sure there are good pockets of the city (I also saw some pretty nice bikes last time I was there, could NEVER ride in the traffic though!). I know they also have some great cafes and fruit is so cheap you could go raw vegan if you lived there. Bear in mind that most of these places I visit, I visit for work so I don't get to explore as much as actual expats living there. Still though, I couldn't deal with that traffic on the daily...

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 03:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been living in Jakarta for the past 9 months or so. GISM's description is pretty spot on, but there is also heaps of cool shit going on. Decent skate scene from what I can tell, and a huge custom/ vintage motorcycle scene too, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am. It's not an easy place to live and you have to figure out how to tap into it, but once you do it's an interesting place.
[close]

Oh I'm sure there are good pockets of the city (I also saw some pretty nice bikes last time I was there, could NEVER ride in the traffic though!). I know they also have some great cafes and fruit is so cheap you could go raw vegan if you lived there. Bear in mind that most of these places I visit, I visit for work so I don't get to explore as much as actual expats living there. Still though, I couldn't deal with that traffic on the daily...

You're right man, it's like anywhere once you get a good crew and start to know the place. The traffic is definitely a bummer. I ride my Super Cub an hour each way for work most days, and while it does suck, I'd much rather be in control of my own ride than on the back of an ojek. What work do you do over here?

EVIL

• Rep: 1
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »
A friend and me went to Philly last summer to skate Love Park.
By sudden we went to Strawberry Mansion in North Philly.
This was the most "interesting" place i´ve ever been to.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
Debating on a visit to Manila for a few days or so in march - there's a deal for RT tickets at $450 from NYC and I could give myself a day layover in Seoul. I'm debating on it or just doing Seoul and maybe finding a good layover in Beijing or something for $200 more. What wold you guys say? Is the $450 ticket worth a Manila/Seoul stopover for $450 or would you pay $200 more for Seoul and possibly a China stopover?

Figured I'd ask here since you guys have said some mixed sounding things about Manila haha. For reference though, I'm usually into pretty sketch cities - love Bangkok for instance that a lot of people seem to love/hate.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »
i've traveled from dog island new zealand to richford vermont and a hell of a lot of places in between

and i gotta say my absolute favorite place in the world and what it think is the most interesting place in the world is........

vinalhaven maine

amazing people, beautiful landscape, cool architecture

the whole bit.  

contenders in particlar order

1) cape santa maria, bahamas
2) lost coast california
3) ocean highway by cape reinga new zeland
4) Acadia National Park, Maine
5) i am going to the island of vieques in February... i am adding bio bay ahead of time.

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
Debating on a visit to Manila for a few days or so in march - there's a deal for RT tickets at $450 from NYC and I could give myself a day layover in Seoul. I'm debating on it or just doing Seoul and maybe finding a good layover in Beijing or something for $200 more. What wold you guys say? Is the $450 ticket worth a Manila/Seoul stopover for $450 or would you pay $200 more for Seoul and possibly a China stopover?

Figured I'd ask here since you guys have said some mixed sounding things about Manila haha. For reference though, I'm usually into pretty sketch cities - love Bangkok for instance that a lot of people seem to love/hate.

Oranges and Apples. I'd take Seoul over Manila any day of the week but then again, it's fucking freezing in Seoul at the moment. "Sketch" cities are fine, I just don't know if you are ready to deal with that traffic :o

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
I mean, it's a pretty cheap ticket so if it's an interesting enough city I'd probably just go to have brews, skating, explore the nightlife, and maybe a beach day trip. That's basically all I'm looking for so whatever would give me the best of those things would be meant. From what I understand Filipinos are a lot more open to westerners/white people as opposed to Koreans but not sure exactly how that fares out or would affect my trip.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »
I mean, it's a pretty cheap ticket so if it's an interesting enough city I'd probably just go to have brews, skating, explore the nightlife, and maybe a beach day trip. That's basically all I'm looking for so whatever would give me the best of those things would be meant. From what I understand Filipinos are a lot more open to westerners/white people as opposed to Koreans but not sure exactly how that fares out or would affect my trip.

Fair enough. If I was going to visit for pleasure Manila would be the last place I would choose to go in the Philippines. If you moved around outside of business/ traffic hours though you might be fine. If you take your board hit up the fort at night; SOOOOO many untapped spots there

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
I'll definitely make a trip later in the year to Korea/Philippines or something but actually just bought a ticket to Bogota, Colombia for a little over a week in February. Haven't been to Colombia before either so I'm pretty stoked. I'm curious to see if every Colombian woman has the biggest ass I've ever seen haha.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:34 PM »
I'll definitely make a trip later in the year to Korea/Philippines or something but actually just bought a ticket to Bogota, Colombia for a little over a week in February. Haven't been to Colombia before either so I'm pretty stoked. I'm curious to see if every Colombian woman has the biggest ass I've ever seen haha.

K, nice!

Was in Shanghai for the weekend and I really dug it (apart from the pollution and the fact that my taxi driver fell asleep at the wheel on the freeway). Wish I wasn't there for work/ had my board with me; saw so many spots just travelling around. Seems like it would be a great city to just cruise around at night with no particular destination in mind.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
your mum.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
(this is the thread I was looking to bump btw)
So this: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36692613 happened over the weekend for those of you who avoided the news.
Fucking HEAVY! I stayed like a 100 meters from that bakery last time I was there and went 3 or 4 times during the period of one week.
The really crazy thing about it is that it's one of the safest parts of Dhaka. I'm scheduled to go there again in Sept. and I really need to have a meeting with management to convince them that it's a really really bad idea :-\

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 04:52:04 AM »
Super fucking gnarly, yeah. My coworker's wife is from there and he just got back from a trip.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
Super fucking gnarly, yeah. My coworker's wife is from there and he just got back from a trip.
World is fucked :-\ Luckily (?) management saw the light and were like, "yeah... maybe you should go this year". Maybe?... :'(

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
Most fun I've had on and off a skateboard by far was in Copenhagen (https://www.instagram.com/p/_MtiAAExoZ/?taken-by=doctor__sus this spot was so fucking fun), Rotterdam, and Paris (biased because I met my fiance there)

But for cheap everything and stupidly attractive women, Krakow was the place to be. $5 US for 2 liters of beer, a shot of vodka, and a 3 course dinner. There were also some really good granite ledges and banks once you go just outside the city center.

Avoid the train station in Marseille at all costs.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
hunters point in sf, almost got boxed in and car jacked there once when i was younger, it was tight, lol

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 40
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
Definitely not for skateboarding, but I'd have to give it to Nepal. I was there for 6 weeks back in 2008, we only had electricity for a couple of hours every night, which was hard considering we were shooting a documentary. People were awesome, super nice, great hospitality, best food and once you got over the difficulties like wiping your ass with your hand as there is no toilet paper available, not having electricity, sleeping in mud-walled houses without doors, and the fucking worst traffic I've seen in my life, it's just an awesome, beautiful country with tons of trustworthy people that will invite you to lunch to their homes even though they just met you. Be prepared to only use gestures for communicating, but don't worry, everyone will try to help you - just make sure to get out of Kathmandu and explore the countryside and not get stuck in the tourist spots at the Himalaya range.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
World is fucked :-\ Luckily (?) management saw the light and were like, "yeah... maybe you should go this year". Maybe?... :'(

update: someone affiliated to my current workplace may have been involved in orchestrating the attack. This shit is waaaay too close to home :o

but I'd have to give it to Nepal.
Fair call, I love Nepal and I've only been to Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Pokhara. Not really in the mood for travelling at the moment but I will be heading there in December for work.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
Mount Emei outside of Chengdu

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I just returned from a 3 week holiday it Sri Lanka. It ticked all the boxes- beautiful natural scenery i.e beaches and highlands, everything was cheap, lots of animals, friendly locals, good food, amazing ancient cities and ruins and cool old colonial era trains and archietecture. To anyone considering a visit, I would highly recommend it.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
Yo, I'm going to Sri Lanka for a month this summer, all of this sounds rad!
Did you bring your board or saw anything even remotely skatable?
I'll probably invest in some softer wheels, was thinking about those 54mm (bigger and i'll need risers :/) rictas 92a, do you think it might be enough?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought bringing this one back might be a good idea.

Cuba was probably the most interesting place I've been. It was amazing to see a place where everyone had food, but there was little selection. Everyone had a place to sleep, but many of the homes needed renovations. It was amazing that people could live off of 20 dollars a month, but it was sad that people lived off of 20 dollars a month. It was amazing that everyone had so much free time and it was sad that so many people needed work. Everything was a contradiction of some sort. Life there seemed amazing and sad all at once. I was envious of them and thankful for all the stuff I had back home.

The most interesting part was to see how "charities" actually work. It seems nothing is free. Christian charities go over there and literally attempt to trade skateboards for God. Also, I don't trust many of the skate charities. It is hard to tell who is really benefiting. The locals of the guys running the charity.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2018, 03:25:10 AM »
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought bringing this one back might be a good idea.

Cuba was probably the most interesting place I've been. It was amazing to see a place where everyone had food, but there was little selection. Everyone had a place to sleep, but many of the homes needed renovations. It was amazing that people could live off of 20 dollars a month, but it was sad that people lived off of 20 dollars a month. It was amazing that everyone had so much free time and it was sad that so many people needed work. Everything was a contradiction of some sort. Life there seemed amazing and sad all at once. I was envious of them and thankful for all the stuff I had back home.

The most interesting part was to see how "charities" actually work. It seems nothing is free. Christian charities go over there and literally attempt to trade skateboards for God. Also, I don't trust many of the skate charities. It is hard to tell who is really benefiting. The locals of the guys running the charity.

I'm curious which skate charity in Cuba are referring to and what experiences you've had with others to make you generally not trust them?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm curious which skate charity in Cuba are referring to and what experiences you've had with others to make you generally not trust them?

I'm not going to name names on this one. (Even if the charity sucks, I don't want any less shit to be donated to the dudes down there.)

However, I'll just say--on top of all the other shit that I was bummed on--the last straw was when the guy running the charity ate the candy my mom donated for the locals.  My mom bought a few boxes of candy which I gave to the charity to distribute. A few days later, I rolled over to where the dude who runs the charity was staying and he was eating the fucking candy my mom bought. It is small, but holy fuck, I just don't understand why an American who can easily afford to buy candy from the store in Havana is eating the shit my mom bought for the Cuban kids.

I've heard the charity has gotten better, but I'm skeptical. It is tough to say if the dude who runs it is getting more than he gives.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:28:46 PM by TheLurper »

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm not going to name names on this one. (Even if the charity sucks, I don't want any less shit to be donated to the dudes down there.)

However, I'll just say--on top of all the other shit that I was bummed on--the last straw was when the guy running the charity ate the candy my mom donated for the locals.  My mom bought a few boxes of candy which I gave to the charity to distribute. A few days later, I rolled over to where the dude who runs the charity was staying and he was eating the fucking candy my mom bought. It is small, but holy fuck, I just don't understand why an American who can easily afford to buy candy from the store in Havana is eating the shit my mom bought for the Cuban kids.

I've heard the charity has gotten better, but I'm skeptical. It is tough to say if the dude who runs it is getting more than he gives.

I haven't made it a point to do much research on charities in general but religious one's always seem like they have an ulterior motive to me.

The last time I did volunteer work was for Peace Boat back in the day but I've always wanted to volunteer for a Skateboarding one. I tried to link up with Skatistan the last time I was in Cambodia but it's all handled by the locals. They don't let anyone outside the organization in the park because of the child sex trafficking problems there. It seems like they've generally set everything up and handed it over to the locals so they don't really need foreign volunteers which is great - getting everything to be sustainable is part of the point.

I've emailed with the guys at EthiopiaSkate but they don't seem to have a proper volunteer program set up yet. They told me to just fly out and bring as much product to donate as I can since getting product in is the hardest part. That was over a year ago though so maybe I'll reach back out to them.

I did apply to volunteer at SkatePal for March/May but I'm waiting to get the official confirmation back from them.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2018, 03:42:15 AM »
going to havana in the end of january with friends who doesn't skate... tempted to bring my board.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »
I haven't made it a point to do much research on charities in general but religious one's always seem like they have an ulterior motive to me.

The last time I did volunteer work was for Peace Boat back in the day but I've always wanted to volunteer for a Skateboarding one. I tried to link up with Skatistan the last time I was in Cambodia but it's all handled by the locals. They don't let anyone outside the organization in the park because of the child sex trafficking problems there. It seems like they've generally set everything up and handed it over to the locals so they don't really need foreign volunteers which is great - getting everything to be sustainable is part of the point.

I've emailed with the guys at EthiopiaSkate but they don't seem to have a proper volunteer program set up yet. They told me to just fly out and bring as much product to donate as I can since getting product in is the hardest part. That was over a year ago though so maybe I'll reach back out to them.

I did apply to volunteer at SkatePal for March/May but I'm waiting to get the official confirmation back from them.

Yea, the religious charities I ran into were super sketchy. I interviewed one dude from a religious charity and he didn't give a shit about anything other than pushing his religion on the locals. It was a huge bummer.

What exactly is SkatePal?

The Ethiopia Skate would be interesting. They recently built a park, right? I wonder if any of the skate dudes from China are doing things out there since China is heavily investing in Ethiopia with their "One Belt One Road" initiative.

Also, that Pushing Boarders conference had a whole panel on skate charity. I think they posted the discussion on youtube.

going to havana in the end of january with friends who doesn't skate... tempted to bring my board.
Bring your board and bring some random stuff for the locals. Shoes, bearings, wheels, boards, flash drives with videos on them, whatever.

The main meet-up spot in Havana is 23rd Street and G Street. Also, San Antonio has a super fun little park. I think it is like an hour away from Havana and worth the trip out there. Just don't drink the tap water or any Kool-aid made from tap water.