Author Topic: Question for Graphic Designers  (Read 1242 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Question for Graphic Designers
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
I randomly got offered a side job to make designs for flyers for a state soccer association.  I have no idea what to charge, and the guy didn't know what to pay me either.  He floated the numbers $50 and $75 per flyer out there.  Does that sound reasonable? I figured somebody in here has some clue about this. 

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
Re: Question for Graphic Designers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
With doing freelance design, I've made the mistake several times of charging a flat rate. The problem with doing that is, they might see it, ask for revisions, and I've worked with people who will do that a lot. I think it's always best to charge an hourly rate. If you do go the route of a flat fee, I would be specific on how many revisions that includes, and if it goes over, work our an extra fee. I also don't know if these flyers are something you're able to crank out in 20 minutes or something, in which $50-$75 would be a good price.

Irvine-Sucks.com

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
With doing freelance design, I've made the mistake several times of charging a flat rate. The problem with doing that is, they might see it, ask for revisions, and I've worked with people who will do that a lot. I think it's always best to charge an hourly rate. If you do go the route of a flat fee, I would be specific on how many revisions that includes, and if it goes over, work our an extra fee. I also don't know if these flyers are something you're able to crank out in 20 minutes or something, in which $50-$75 would be a good price.

Exactly this. Also make sure you communicate with them what you will need in terms of files cause they might send you a shitty 150 x 150 pixel logo that you need to recreate in Illustrator that takes 4 hours. Charge an hourly rate but give a realistic time estimate and try to stay under. They will really appreciate that. Also post up the flyers so we can critique them!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
I always have to put this disclaimer when I talk about this stuff. I have a degree in graphic design but never did it for a living. Most of what I am going to say was told to me during school so take it for what it is but I have no idea if this is really done in the real world.

You are supposed to charge by the hour or time. I know some people that literally set a timer and just clock the start and end time when doing a project and invoice the client later. Of course a lot of this has to do with your credibility as well. If you don't have a decent portfolio and you're barking orders in getting a certain fee, no one will want to pay for that. The graphic design industry can be a total shit business for rookie designers. People and companies all way to pay shit but get a product that is equivalent to something from a design firm. No your spot first and maybe asses it that way. If you've never done this and they know so, you won't be able to get away with getting good money.

Personally I think a good deal would be a $100 but that would include the revisions and what not before print. Don't spend anymore than 2-3 hours on the design unless you are using this project to just get some design pieces in your portfolio. Make sure they pay for everything in regards to the print aspect but definitely talk to the print shop yourself and get a proof first. Last you want to do is design a nice flyer and have it printed at Kinkos to make your work shitty. Get it all professionally done. It makes you and the client look good.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:07:15 AM »
Thanks this is helpful...I will probably say $100 including revisions.  I make a lot of Powerpoint presentations for my job and that's what I used to design a crest for a supporter's group which caught his attention: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lm028n&s=8#.VcOh1LX0-WM.  It shouldn't be hard because I only have to do better than flyers such as this haha:

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
Just make sure all your stuff is in high res. As stated by RCB3, some people provide you with images that are only web friendly and wonder why they look like crap on print. Whether it be logos or the photos, make sure all of it given to you is in full res. OR even just take your own photos and use that as reference. Flyers are a tricky thing cause there is no real model to follow. I think for the most part, don't go ape shit on the fonts and use just one font family for everything. Other than that, I think anything is a go like using overshadows, motion blur filters, glowing fonts, etc.

Also just google flyers as references as well. Kind of take inspiration from others and run with your own idea.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
Cool thanks.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
If you need some generic photos make sure to check out Pixabay or another stock photo site. I use Pixabay at work and they have a good amount of images in different sizes. Brands of the World is another useful source, maybe not for this job but definitely for future reference if you're looking for vector logos.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
Awesome, I was just going to ask a related question.  There is nothing unethical/illegal about using random pictures on the net right?  I'd expect no, but figured I'd ask.  Obviously if there's a copyright mark on it, it's a different story.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
Awesome, I was just going to ask a related question.  There is nothing unethical/illegal about using random pictures on the net right?  I'd expect no, but figured I'd ask.  Obviously if there's a copyright mark on it, it's a different story.

Totally depends on the image. Just because there is no copyright mark on it does not mean it's free for whoever to use.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
The using random shit off the internet is iffy, because it depends on ownership. If it's just some guy, he'd probably notice his shit getting used more than shutterstock or something like that. I use elicit shutterstock all the time because in the volume they sell they have absolutely no way of knowing if you're using a licensed image or not. Same with envato/audiojungle stuff. You can find torrents of volumes of shutterstock images. You'd never have to go anywhere else for stock shit.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
The most someone can do is give you a cease and desist but even with this, I doubt they'll do that. There is no real value in the flyers, so i say just use whatever.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
If you're worried about using an image that is copywrite change your search parameters on Google image search under the Usage tab to labeled for reuse with modification or labeled for reuse.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
The way a lot of freelance works from my experience (which is more on the web-dev side, but they overlap all the time):

If you have a great portfolio and are an in demand guy (you can pick and choose what work you like or have time for) then you'd be totally fine charging $50/hour (or more if it is realistic). The hourly rate would be what you expect it to take, with a little bit of padding just in case. Even with this, you would want to outline this upfront. Tell them first of all that you're going to need half of the money and half when the project is completed. From here, you will give them an invoice or quote that explains how many hours it would take you and how many revisions you include in this pricing.

If you're just starting out or doing it for fun/on the side, then the base rate I see these days is around $35/hour. Treat it the same as above and you should be all set.

midevilco

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
Worst case scenario, you spend 4 hours between communicating, negotiating, gathering files, designing the flyer, getting feedback, making changes. etc. Best case, 1-2 hours. $50 isn't even close to enough, $100 is better, but not enough to sustain a business. If they won't pay $100, they don't want the flyer that bad.

Bigger picture, hourly work is for employees, and/or deep pocketed clients willing to pay $100/hr. +. Most people will appreciate a flat fee, and you can get paid more per hour by working smarter, and having a clear contract. If you charge by the project and know what you are doing, you can charge people $100/hour that would never have agreed to pay $100/hour.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:55 PM »
Ya, I'm not trying to sustain myself doing this whatsoever haha, just make a few extra bucks to blow on a drum machine and a PS4 or some other shit I normally wouldn't buy.  I plan on doing this at my current job.