Author Topic: Backside Slappies, how do you get on top of them?  (Read 4029 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Backside Slappies, how do you get on top of them?
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Been trying these for a while with varying success but no roll away  :-\

I often end up grinding at like a 45 degree angle in the center of the truck over the king pins on the corner of the curb. Any tips on how to get right up on top of the curb? Maybe i'm leaning back to much?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Backside Slappies, how do you get on top of them?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
seems like square curbs are easier. i can't seem to lock them good here in austin but when i lived in la i could lock them really good but the curbs were more square. might just be that i suck at them now.

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
It's one of those tricks where you dont understand it until you do it, then you're like OHHHHHH!
The trick is too basically just come in at huge angle and slam your board into the curb and act like you're trying to break the curb.

Or, i have heard people say do like a manual, but with the same side wheels (tip-toes) and youll roll up it.

Whatever works for ya

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
with frontside slappies, you put your weight on your heels to get onto the curb and then shift to your toes to lock in. with backside, you put your weight on your toes to get onto the curb and then shift to your heels to lock in. at least that's how it is theoretically.

basically, whichever side you're trying, as you're about to hit the curb, you lean your weight away from the curb so your trucks can get on and then you have to move your weight onto the curb to lock into the grind.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
watch the way barker barrett does slappies in this video. he has a very clear-cut slappie technique.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
i go at an angle with my front wheels hitting the curb first and then do alittle scoot poweslide thing to force my back wheels up then just grind it out. maybe practice on a smaller curb first to feel it out.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
with frontside slappies, you put your weight on your heels to get onto the curb and then shift to your toes to lock in. with backside, you put your weight on your toes to get onto the curb and then shift to your heels to lock in. at least that's how it is theoretically.

basically, whichever side you're trying, as you're about to hit the curb, you lean your weight away from the curb so your trucks can get on and then you have to move your weight onto the curb to lock into the grind.

I think the reverse w. Bs......toe heel....dig your toes...get the angle....then heel on.....you gotta unweight like a 50 on a ramp....

The toe heel is the secret to the corner wallie too...

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
you gotta unweight like a 50 on a ramp....

This, when i was first getting bs down it felt exactly like a back 50 on tranny, foot placement and all just seemed to sweep myself up on top,
wish i'd figured that out sooner

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
its easy to smack it up there into a bs feeble and get a heel lock but it wont work out for you long term.  I think it's all about that toeside lock in on bs slappies.  Toe into it, smash it on, and then kind of roll your board on top of it with your heels like tranny. 

Frontside is the exact opposite and is actually easier for me.  Heelside, smash into it, roll on with your toe weight.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
If you come at it way too fast, you'll probably end up on top. Like when you come up for a 5050 on tranny and end up way on the deck

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
speed helps.
too slow and its almost impossible.
ride almost straight into the curb. way more angle than if you were gonna Ollie on.
front truck first. right as that truck is touching the curb, swing your body on up like a bs powerslide.
grind.
try to keep grinding.

it kinda just happens on its own if you're going fast enough. don't think too much about it. just keep trying.

the best way to learn any trick is to skate with someone who can do it. let them watch your attempts and tell you what you're doing wrong. or give little pointers

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:20:52 PM »
Loosen your front truck...try putting both feet over bolts....front foot maybe a smidge over.....

If you wanna learn it the tard way.....front truck...pivot...back truck.....

Then try to unlearn it....

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 01:24:24 AM »
Enough of these threads. If you're going to do something you're going to do it.

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
maybe try practicing the backside powerslide scoot while riding a little bit. Like try to get your back wheels/truck to slide/jump backwards while your cruising. Then you can just come up to the curb at an angle (around 45) and scoot on that bitch. Im prolly not that clear, but if you get what I mean it is a piece of cake!