Author Topic: Skating tranny in later skate years  (Read 14142 times)

Al408

Skating tranny in later skate years
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
i've been native to street skating( curbs,ledges,etc) and i moved to a new area with an actual park with some nice transition, any idea where to start skating some of it, i've skated for about 10 years and can count how many times i've skated a ramp/bowl on my two hands and still have few fingers free to do lord knows what any advice would be rad.

Lenny the Fatface

Re: Skating tranny in later skate years
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Niggas might hate, but those Tony Hawk trick tips he did for vert were pretty lit. He knows what the fuck he is talking about so go on youtube and start there.

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
Some good advice here from Omar Hassan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFhHkCPQWfk

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
some people might disagree with me but i think coors light is best and a jam box helps

dgus138

• Rep: 7
    • Plains Hardware avatar image
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
I'm in the same boat, 32 years old and finally skated a mini ramp for the first time last winter. What I've done to try to get myself better at transition is to make myself have "no ollie" days. So I'll go to the park and instead of riding around for a while doing some 5050s and dicking around with flatground to warm up, I go straight to a 1/4 pipe and drop in and just try to maintain speed for a while to warm up. Then I just force myself to skate the 1/4 pipe for an hour or so. Once you start to learn a few of the basic tricks it gets a lot more fun. Honestly most days my brain drifts back to ledge tricks since it's so ingrained but I've been happy with my transition progress so far.

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
Looks like your asking where to skate?  Not sure, but if you want tips then look for the gentlest, smoothest tranny with coping that doesnt stick out hardcore.  I recommend learning in this order but whatever

Drop in > rock to fakie > bs rock and roll > tail stall > bs feeble > bs 50 50 > then grind it

after you learned that shit try for some frontside scratchers, then maybe a fs smith or fs 50-50 to get ready for standing up on top of grinds.  Somewhere in there practice some little frontside ollies, maybe some tricks over the corner or a footplant.  Once you get these tricks you should be able to start flowing some bowl and linking lines.  After that it's up to you with your fancy variations.

oh and watch this every day
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0VFeIlCI1Q

Al408

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Thanks dudes, after a couple hang ups and some heckling from some of the younger dudes I finally rolled away from a rock to fakie at my local's mini bowl, pretty stoked considering I was getting a little discouraged. time to ice my hip up and do again in a couple days.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »
ive never been good at tranny either. miniramps are one thing, but carving a bowl is a totally different game for me. every time i try to skate a bowl, it looks like its my first time on a skateboard. the worst is right after i take my run, some gnarly dude always seems to drop in going mach 10, grinding around the corners that i cant even hit frontside, and blasting airs. its very discouraging, but still pretty fun at the same time.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
ive never been good at tranny either. miniramps are one thing, but carving a bowl is a totally different game for me. every time i try to skate a bowl, it looks like its my first time on a skateboard. the worst is right after i take my run, some gnarly dude always seems to drop in going mach 10, grinding around the corners that i cant even hit frontside, and blasting airs. its very discouraging, but still pretty fun at the same time.
Big tranny scene in the midwest?

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
some gnarly dude always seems to drop in going mach 10, grinding around the corners that i cant even hit frontside, and blasting airs. its very discouraging, but still pretty fun at the same time.
There's always dick measuring but for me the best part about tranny is the hype and everyone getting all fired up to take a run.  Seeing that mach 10 guy pushing through deep end pool coping gets me so boosted, I want some of that hype too.  Usually tranny guys are really good about sharing the stoke too.  Throw in some 4 man party runs and some beer and you have a good time on your hands.

BMCsteve

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »
I'm 34 and lived in Michigan through my prime years of skating where we didn't have a single park within 50 miles.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to make an effort and learn to skate some tranny.  I've been slowly trying to build up to it but I can only rock to fakie, axle stall and do some 5-0 slashes.  I also have only been dropping in like once every 3 months.  Gotta step it up
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:52:09 PM by BMCsteve »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:51 PM »
If you skate a coping bowl....consider a. Helmet.....

I don't know where dudes get the idea it's safer than street.....

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »
I'm 34 and lived in Michigan through my prime years of skating where we didn't have a single park within 50 miles.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to make an effort and learn to skate some tranny.  I've been slowly trying to build up to it but I can only rock to fakie, axle stall and do some 5-0 slashes.  I also have only been dropping in like once every 3 months.  Gotta step it up
Ah 5-0 slash must feel nice can you do a hand down/"layback"? I'm not much younger than you and can't really skate it so you know whatever good for you i'm still appreciating believe it or not

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
Why the fuck would anyone want to learn to skate tranny, if they can still skate ledges? I'm 36 and I never wanna lose my ledge/flat game.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
I grew up skateboarding in a skatepark with NO tranny and got significantly comfortable on my board before my city rebuilt the park with actual transition... and now I've moved to a big city with 10+ skateparks and I eat cum at skateboarding transition. It's so hard for me to even do the simplest things (Axle's, Back D's, 5-0 stalls, etc). I might hit up some 'how to' videos for sure. 

N.L.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 10:52:37 AM »
Why the fuck would anyone want to learn to skate tranny, if they can still skate ledges? I'm 36 and I never wanna lose my ledge/flat game.

Because it feels fucking amazing?

Why wouldn't you skate everything...?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »

Because it's fun as fuck, go figure. Enjoy your ledge game mate

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 06:09:24 PM »
for me being old I stick to the street.  tranny means knock outs n shit.  Big hippers.  worst slams I've had were all tranny. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 03:12:47 AM »
there was an app for the iphone a while back called miniramp 101 or something similar - had a good set of trick tips (about 20 or 25 I think from memory) and did actually give you a decent progression route

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
Skating tranny is super fun. 
I grew up skating street also.
Started really learning tranny in my 30's. 
Learning to skate tranny will help all other aspects of your skating. 
You might take some hard slams at first but once you learn to fall an slide down the transitions
I find there is was less impact then jumpin down shit.
Learning is all about the basics and building blocks.
Start at the beginning and keep adding. 

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because it feels fucking amazing?

Why wouldn't you skate everything...?

Truth. It makes you such a better skater too. I used to tic tac out of slow ass ledge tricks, then skated only tranny for a summer. Learned so many more ledge tricks at a decent speed after that and just feel way more comfortable on a board in general.

If you only skate one thing you're doing it wrong

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
I have been a street guy for most of my nearly 29 years skateboarding.  I'm skating a lot more transition because it's a new challenge (especially anything deeper than 7').  Also, being older, I don't care if I look like I'm heading to battle fully padded up.

poster

• Rep: 14
  • tomatoes rule!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
Skating tranny is super fun.  
I grew up skating street also.
Started really learning tranny in my 30's.  
Learning to skate tranny will help all other aspects of your skating.  
You might take some hard slams at first but once you learn to fall an slide down the transitions
I find there is was less impact then jumpin down shit.
Learning is all about the basics and building blocks.
Start at the beginning and keep adding.  

Agreed on everything, especially with the re-learning how to bail.

And once you went through the shameful "learning how to carve and feeling like an idiot" phase, it's going to be so much fun!

edit: The fastest way to learn how to carve is to follow somebody who can already do it. Much easier to understand that way, what you're supposed to do, and where to go. The most important thing to a nice carve is to NEVER KICKTURN, it'll just take your speed away.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:39:20 AM by poster »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 07:09:23 AM »
I'm also 34 and also grew up without a park, so I have fucking no clue how to skate tranny. I can do front and back disasters and that's it. Can't even axle stall. Tried to learn and ate shit so hard I quit. I don't need that shit. Started learning manual stuff instead.

abudabi

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
man tranny is fun as hell, im nothing special at it but id be bummed if i didnt know how.
if youre trying to learn just immerse yourself in it, keep pumping around and if you learn a trick, do it a million times.
switch rocks and rock and rolls are probably the easiest tricks to learn. a backside 5-0 stall is just a kickturn, no need to get on top of it to learn it.
if you have a small quarter pipe to skate (that still has decent transition), that's the best thing for learning. i probably never would have learned any blunt or hard tranny tricks in general without the little quarter i learned on.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
I'll include myself in the "later skate years" demographic, as I'm an older beginner and went to a skate park for the first time today. The local skate plaza in the city where I work has been renovated, and the place looks like something out of a dream. I'm beside myself about it. I'm learning the absolute basics of pumping right now, of not trying to lose momentum and how to gain it. Transition is very fun. I was scared shitless of merely looking inside the bowl, though.

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
Some of the first tricks you want to learn are BS 5050's and FS 5-0's (standing up). With those two you can keep up the speed and cruise around. They are also quite easy to learn. One thing that really helped me learning tranny was focusing on where I look when doing a trick and where to lean (basically where my bodyweight should be, on top or leaning towards tranny).

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

Someone who cant skate tranny would say some ignorant shit like this. Dont you wanna go fast? Dont you wanna be in the air?
Man up...

Besides, your broke ass knees will thank you later. Have fun doing noseslides on the box dude

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 05:49:02 AM »
I'll be nosesliding the box too^ (sounds like skateboarding to me)      I'm not say that tranny skating isnt dope looking or feeling.  I'm just saying "fuck bowls" for public parks cause they get used a fraction as much as street plazas.  Tranny dudes should have to go fuk themselves but instead they get these empty ass bowls to knee slide around in.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:50:49 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
I'll be nosesliding the box too^ (sounds like skateboarding to me)      I'm not say that tranny skating isnt dope looking or feeling.  I'm just saying "fuck bowls" for public parks cause they get used a fraction as much as street plazas.  Tranny dudes should have to go fuk themselves but instead they get these empty ass bowls to knee slide around in.

I love bowls, ledges, rails, banks....you're the problem those bowls are not being used. You're probably the kid at the park that cant skate transition, or is too petrified to even start trying. You most likely mask this feeling by saying something like:

I'm just saying "fuck bowls" for public parks cause they get used a fraction as much as street plazas.

Don't limit yourself to one type of terrain. Your mind will become stale with stagnant ideas floating in your mind. A skateboarder who is having the most fun can skate everything. Don't make fun of the transition dudes because they don't use YOUR bowl, at YOUR park. If you could actually skate tranny, you would understand the whole concept about skating everything, but since you limit yourself to one terrain, your narrow-mindedness intensifies...

How old are you anyways?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:06:47 AM by ohhgreenworld »