Author Topic: Frying anxiety  (Read 3142 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Frying anxiety
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:46:54 PM »
I used to really not mind flying at all. The first flight I went on was to New York and we got caught in really severe storms, very bad turbulence and had to land at Newark as JFK was impossible. It didn't phase me at all at the time.

About four years ago I was on a domestic flight in Vietnam that went into a full nosedive. All arms in the air and everyone screaming. Since then, I'm getting worse and worse flight anxiety. I've been taking valium and pounding some drinks before flights but it seems to be getting more uncontrollable.

Anyone else get this? Any way to get over it? I know its irrational but don't want to get to the point where I can't even get on a plane...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Rusty_Berrings

Re: Frying anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
Holy shit that nose dive sounds horrendous.

KING TUT

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
Become a Pilot

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
I've had two near death experiences on planes. Lightning strike on a prop plane and engine fire on a jet. For some reason, I'm still ok. But many of my friends that hate flying visit Thailand and buy shit loads of Xanax and Valium etc for such purposes. Works for them.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 03:00:18 AM »
i hate flying and xanax work for me. they take the edge off and i just sleep.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:17:05 AM »
When I was little I'd think about how there are like 30 sports teams in every professional league who fly a shit load every year and none of them have ever died in a crash.

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 06:02:55 AM »
When I was little I'd think about how there are like 30 sports teams in every professional league who fly a shit load every year and none of them have ever died in a crash.
Ever seen the movie "Alive" my friend?
But yeah, when I go on planes I usually just think about people that travel every day for business and shit
Shit could be worse

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 06:48:14 AM »
smoke a blunt, make love to a sweet girl, take a beer and stop flying !!!

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »

Busby Babes?

I know basically it isn't worth stressing about but if I could have parachuted out of my last flight at 30,000 feet into the sea I would have. I'm starting to worry I'll try and open a door or something. Maybe more Valium is the way to go? It's the pre-death minute I can't handle. Doesn't help that plane crashes seem to be in the news 24/7. I know it's madness.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
I developed flying anxiety after a flight to Japan where the plane hit an air pocket and it felt like we were free falling for several seconds. I looked around and people had looks of terror on their faces. I don't know if there's any way of dealing with it once you've developed it. You can only cope as best you can. I try to sleep most of the time.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Busby Babes?

I know basically it isn't worth stressing about but if I could have parachuted out of my last flight at 30,000 feet into the sea I would have. I'm starting to worry I'll try and open a door or something. Maybe more Valium is the way to go? It's the pre-death minute I can't handle. Doesn't help that plane crashes seem to be in the news 24/7. I know it's madness.

I get you like you wouldn't believe

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »
Whenever I fly I just try to remind myself that the worst case scenario is nothing happens and we land safely on the ground and I have to continue living my life. Power of positive thinking.

BakedJunter420

• Rep: -60
  • BAked & SHaked 4 Lyfe
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
smoke weed bro.  get high to fly.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_involving_sports_teams

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
I don't get how you can get a fear from flying but not have one for driving. Driving is so much more fucked. At least in the air it's mainly all trained professionals while any idiot can get a license to drive a car.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

straight

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
I don't get how you can get a fear from flying but not have one for driving. Driving is so much more fucked. At least in the air it's mainly all trained professionals while any idiot can get a license to drive a car.

For me it's that I have no control of the situation I'm in. My life is in the hands of someone else and it freaks me out.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
i've burnt myself a bunch of times cooking bacon. i know this fear.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
weed gives me really bad anxiety, haven't touched the stuff in years

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
What you're all describing is not the fear of flying, but the fear of death. It's very normal to be anxious 12000 feet up when the plane is shaking. Aircrafts today fly themselves ftmp, have backup engines and reinforcement beyond comprehension. Air Canada has a perfect track record, millions of flights every year. Take your corolla to the gas station chances are you'll see an accident or near collision. I'm not calling you guys pussies or anything, but wrap your head around the actual numbers. Everyone has been in a car accident, you know NOONE that had a plane accident

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
What you're all describing is not the fear of flying, but the fear of death. It's very normal to be anxious 12000 feet up when the plane is shaking. Aircrafts today fly themselves ftmp, have backup engines and reinforcement beyond comprehension. Air Canada has a perfect track record, millions of flights every year. Take your corolla to the gas station chances are you'll see an accident or near collision. I'm not calling you guys pussies or anything, but wrap your head around the actual numbers. Everyone has been in a car accident, you know NOONE that had a plane accident
Never thought I'd say this, but Tracer you made sense

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
I have a fear of frying as well. This usually limits my options to baking, broiling or roasting. It's definitely a no go if I want to cook in the nude.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »

The death part isn't the scary thing it is the 20/30 seconds of terror and people losing their shit before impact that freaks me out. The death part would probably/hopefully be fairly instantaneous.I know statistically flying is way safer than driving but this isn't really something you can rationalise. Airplane accidents are also permanently in the news, car accidents rarely are. Finally, I don't drive and mainly use ferries,trains and trams.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The death part isn't the scary thing it is the 20/30 seconds of terror and people losing their shit before impact that freaks me out. The death part would probably/hopefully be fairly instantaneous.I know statistically flying is way safer than driving but this isn't really something you can rationalise. Airplane accidents are also permanently in the news, car accidents rarely are. Finally, I don't drive and mainly use ferries,trains and trams.
when it's going down just think about never having to wipe your ass again. or pay bills. or impress anyone. or listen to someone. or do something you don't want to. or get the flu. or go to the dentist. or get cancer. or have to go to peoples funerals . or go to work. or get annoyed, mad, and sad. or go bald. or get too old to skate. or get dentures. or have a stroke. or do laundry. or cook . or puke . or lose your eyesight. or be bored ever again

straight

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
or fly again

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
you just need to monitor your heat. Frying isnt so bad.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »

I sometimes like when I get weed that bugs me out a little. Sitting around the house by myself freaking out for an hour or two is fun.

I know flying is statistically safe. Everyone knows that. Even the people who get on planes that crash. Statistically, their plane wasn't going to crash. Then it crashed.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 03:19:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I sometimes like when I get weed that bugs me out a little. Sitting around the house by myself freaking out for an hour or two is fun.

I know flying is statistically safe. Everyone knows that. Even the people who get on planes that crash. Statistically, their plane wasn't going to crash. Then it crashed.

The safety advice freaks me out too. The brace positions and landing in water advice. I mean really, we'll be in pieces on impact. It's almost like they're fucking with you. Yeah, we'll land in the sea and just slide down these fun inflatable slides then into our rafts. Surprised they don't have Santa delivering shit to us too.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 06:10:35 AM »
'In the unlikely event...'

Thanks, I love Carlin and today has been really shitty.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
My thought process is usually that I trust the plane more than I trust myself in all sorts of situations....I'm pretty good at giving up control....

Recently though I had a bad landing and it was pretty lightweight but in my mind...it's totally rational to get freaked out.....

The main thing that was running through my mind was that you're stuck with all these people....none of which can help...and they are all acting like a bunch of tards.....it's like a super bad customer service experience....like Home Depot but you die....

Way rather drown alone.....

No joke one of my buddies was in a plane crash....the plane crashed on the roadway near the airport and people just came running and hauled the passengers out....my friend was right behind the two pilots who burned and died.....his back was broken...couldn't move and gave up...but someone pulled him out.....

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
I don't have an issue flying but I do understand people who do. That nose dive situation seems fucked but for just regular turbulence (or what may seem like bad turbulence), I usually keep my eye out for the flight attendants. 9.9 out of 10 times they're gonna be chillin'. If the flight attendants, who live their life flying to and from places several times a day are acting fine, I rest assured everything is normal.

Of course this only works up until the point where I see one looking nervous and I found myself pissing my pants two hours from my destination.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.