Author Topic: How do Brands Survive that should be failing  (Read 3854 times)

2thick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
How do Brands Survive that should be failing
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
I was just thinking about something that I thought was interesting. Let's be real for a second, who is buying brands like Globe, Dekline, Blind, Flip etc. These are all brands that are rarely seen being bought or supported by anyone, yet they continue to put out product year after year. How can this be/ how do they survive with literally no support?

Chesapeake Bay

• Rep: 5
Re: How do Brands Survive that should be failing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »
I was just thinking about something that I thought was interesting. Let's be real for a second, who is buying brands like Globe, Dekline, Blind, Flip etc. These are all brands that are rarely seen being bought or supported by anyone, yet they continue to put out product year after year. How can this be/ how do they survive with literally no support?
1. Globe probably does well internationally and they also have longboards/cruisers that do sell decently.
2. Dekline, while it's probably not our first choice of shoes, does half decent. Their shoes aren't too bad either. I suggest you give them a try...at least the newer ones. They're generally on sale in a lot of places.
3. I think SoCal has a small sect of kids who back Blind. Not to mention they sell completes at half the major sporting good chain stores. And they've got Dwindle backing them. I had a Blind board about 5 years back that was pretty cool.
4. Flip is a part of NHS...and NHS does really well. I assume there is also packs of kids who back Flip all throughout the mid west.
Side Note: One thing to keep in mind is to always think about how a company may do outside of your geographic location. I've wondered the same thing being from the east coast where TOA kills it.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Globe sells in just about every surf shop down here, its the "skate shoe" brand that hip dads buy to look cool

and as mentioned before, they make a shitload of cruiser and longboards

Blind completes are cheap and easy to sell off to beginners

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »
I've skated some of the resin 8 blind boards and they feel better to me than PS stix boards I've ridden in recent memory.  The flip boards I've tried were P2 and they were good.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
drug front/money laundering
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »
I've skated some of the resin 8 blind boards and they feel better to me than PS stix boards I've ridden in recent memory.  The flip boards I've tried were P2 and they were good.
have you tried the zero boards since they moved to dwindle? i want to one for my next set up, i like the graphics.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »

If they literally had no support, they would be out of business.  But they do, somewhere, as lame as the brands you mentioned may be, they do.  It's a big world, with lots of consumers.  I think the market is seriously flooded, and that a several companies will fold soon, but they have some support, even if it's just three people. 

I recommend you give this a listen.
David Cross - Literally
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:11:24 AM »
Lolglobedeklineblind

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »
But I don't know Blind has 8 ply decks. Win lose?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:52:32 AM »
I see Blind pricepoint decks all over the place in mall shops and sporting goods stores. They probably sell a shit ton of decks a day to broke kids/teenagers who just want something cheap and don't really care what brand it is.

BakedJunter420

• Rep: -60
  • BAked & SHaked 4 Lyfe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »
Dwindle bucks bro= Blind, Globe.  Euro bros like= Flip.   Everyone buys backpacks= Dakine. 

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »
I have a pair of Louie Barletta Taurus shoes and a pair of Globe winter boots. Yes, I'm a hip dad that buys to look cool.  :o

The Taurus are about the most comfortable and well made skate brand shoes I have. No idea about durability, since I've been skating DCs and Sol-Tech shoes for a while now.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
25 points for "who are Life Extention (sic) skateboards?" :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »
Dwindle bucks bro= Blind, Globe.  Euro bros like= Flip.   Everyone buys backpacks= Dakine. 
Dakine is different from dekline. Dakine's sales are fine for sure, however I have almost never see anyone wearing deklines (they are shoes distributed through Tum yeto).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
Could have just typed Dwindle...

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
I see Blind pricepoint decks all over the place in mall shops and sporting goods stores. They probably sell a shit ton of decks a day to broke kids/teenagers who just want something cheap and don't really care what brand it is.

Aren't price point boards a good thing though? Saves kids from learning on plastic trucks and wheels that don't turn. Skaters can't really claim "oh cause a certain company is sold in major sporting goods store we won't support them" when we've embraced Puma/Nike/New Balance/Adidas (three of which I bet 10 years ago people would never say would have a skate shoe.)  like we have.

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Dakine is different from dekline. Dakine's sales are fine for sure, however I have almost never see anyone wearing deklines (they are shoes distributed through Tum yeto).

Dakine is owned by Altamont.
same guys who own Huf and just bought Girl/Choc/Lakai
http://www.altamontcapital.com/portfolio.php

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
1. Globe probably does well internationally and they also have longboards/cruisers that do sell decently.
2. Dekline, while it's probably not our first choice of shoes, does half decent. Their shoes aren't too bad either. I suggest you give them a try...at least the newer ones. They're generally on sale in a lot of places.
3. I think SoCal has a small sect of kids who back Blind. Not to mention they sell completes at half the major sporting good chain stores. And they've got Dwindle backing them. I had a Blind board about 5 years back that was pretty cool.
4. Flip is a part of NHS...and NHS does really well. I assume there is also packs of kids who back Flip all throughout the mid west.
Side Note: One thing to keep in mind is to always think about how a company may do outside of your geographic location. I've wondered the same thing being from the east coast where TOA kills it.
they have a lot of brands and videos/magazines etc. you can't find at a lot of shops outside American big cities. so im sure a lot of people in smaller american cities as well as outside the country order stuff off TOA
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 05:17:16 AM »
Quote from: TOAST-FACE KILLA  link=topic=87013.msg2366827#msg2366827 date=1439178199
Expand Quote
[close]
have you tried the zero boards since they moved to dwindle? i want to one for my next set up, i like the graphics.
I haven't ever skated a zero board. I'm sure they're good. Just don't get the plain 7 ply boards from dwindle. I think that's the secret.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Dakine is owned by Altamont.
same guys who own Huf and just bought Girl/Choc/Lakai
http://www.altamontcapital.com/portfolio.php

They don't own HUF, they invested in them. Big difference.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:51:00 AM by Xen »

dillanharp

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
You ever been to a skatepark? Like a major one, on a weekend? That's what EVERYONE SKATES.

BMCsteve

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
As far as I know, Dwindle is the largest distribution company in world.  You'll see every mall shop stocked up with Blind and Almost decks.  Kids think Tensors are amazing because they're light and Daewon skates them. 

Once you step outside the Slap tastemaker or over 30 bubbles that a lot of us are in, you'll see where the product sales are going.  Middle America is filled with kids that shop at Zumiez and PacSun

It's like every time Nickleback releases a record, it sells a million copies and your first thought is "I don't know a single person who listens to this terrible band"

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
Quote from: TOAST-FACE KILLA  link=topic=87013.msg2366827#msg2366827 date=1439178199
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I haven't ever skated a zero board. I'm sure they're good. Just don't get the plain 7 ply boards from dwindle. I think that's the secret.
true, i wonder if they razor tail fast, the impact lights and the double impact boards look nice.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Quote from: TOAST-FACE KILLA  link=topic=87013.msg2367691#msg2367691 date=1439332341
true, i wonder if they razor tail fast, the impact lights and the double impact boards look nice.

cmon youre on slap and dont know how a board razortails fast
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »
Quote from: TOAST-FACE KILLA  link=topic=87013.msg2367691#msg2367691 date=1439332341
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
The Resin7 I had seemed to have been more brittle/prone to razor tail than the Impact Daewon board I had. I'm really interested. Well a little interested anyway, in trying the Impact Plus and the Double Impact decks at some point. Impact plus is supposedly an 8 ply with carbon fiber inserts. On the other hand I did have an Element with carbon fiber that lost all its pop the first week or so of skating it (on flat).

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »
DSM is Dwindle's own press, right? I suppose this means all their companies get boards made really cheaply, so even at half price they will make money.

Last DSM board I skated was a Palace. It was pretty decent and lasted well.

Also, I ordered completes for kids at my school. I gave some advice but let them choose what they wanted. Three of them chose Blind, Enjoi and Darkstar (out of six kids)...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 02:19:30 AM »
I haven't paid for product in so long that I don't care

sharkin

• SLAP Pal