Author Topic: Detroit/Ann Arbor/Cleveland, OH  (Read 3087 times)

ratfink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Detroit/Ann Arbor/Cleveland, OH
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
Probably should've posted this earlier but just got to detroit today and will be here till'
the 22nd. looking into jumping on a greyhound to cleveland next monday and then stoping by ann arbor on the way back.
let me know whats good with some food, spots, bars & record shops. staying out in hamtramck, by the way.
any tips are greatly appreciated. peace!

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Detroit/Ann Arbor/Cleveland, OH
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »
If you stop in Toledo, the greyhound station is right downtown. There are 5-6 spots in the general vicinity. PM me if you need help with that.
Definitely hit the Skateplaza in Ann Arbor.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
Hit up Plus if you're looking for a rad shop http://pluskateboarding.com/

Ann Arbor has a crazy new park that is massive. Whiskey in the jar is a great dive bar in Hamtramck. 

If you are skating around detroit, you absolutely have to go to Hart Plaza.  It's Detroit's Love Park

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
Ann Arbor Park's a blast. We've also got some decent record stores downtown. My favorite is Underground Sound, but also keep an eye out for Wazoo and Encore Records.

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
tower city is cleveland's LOVE PARK. lot of good cheap diners when i usedta live there. detroit was kinda hurting food-wise. lot of coney islands and some fast food. some BBQ in parking lots on the east side but i never ate it. downtown is full of shit to skate.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
tower city is cleveland's LOVE PARK. lot of good cheap diners when i usedta live there. detroit was kinda hurting food-wise. lot of coney islands and some fast food. some BBQ in parking lots on the east side but i never ate it. downtown is full of shit to skate.

its full of yelp foodies now, so theres plenty of cutsie bistros and shit.

if youre looking for food in detroit, id recommend checking out these places.

http://www.bucharestgrill.com/ (get their chicken shwarma. the best.)
http://www.russellstreetdeli.com/
http://supinopizzeria.com/

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »
Sent you a message Ratfink.

Michael - I think you would be blown away how much Detroit has changed in just the few years since you were here. It's unreal! Never seen the city like it is now. Food spots popping up left and right these days. There was definitely a limited number of food spots when you were here though.

P.S. Hope you've been doing great bud!

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »
If you're vegetarian or vegan, try Seva.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Yes, hit Bucharest in Detroit and get a chicken shawarma, then go skate Northwestern school. The wig is a pretty fun DIY spot, also the ride it park.

shark tits

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
Sent you a message Ratfink.

Michael - I think you would be blown away how much Detroit has changed in just the few years since you were here. It's unreal! Never seen the city like it is now. Food spots popping up left and right these days. There was definitely a limited number of food spots when you were here though.

P.S. Hope you've been doing great bud!
i'm a little torn on that news, buddy. on the one hand if anyone deserves more places to eat it's the D but on the other hand it was the one place i thought/hoped would resist gentrification and not that restaurants in of themselves are that but i fear they are harbingers.
alas........
i'm dece, thanks for asking. i skate a few times a wk at my strip mall/sometimes elsewhere and been recycling even though cans are only a nickel out here. getting by and have an SSI hearing at the end of the month. hopefully i'll get a lifelong 'artists grant' outta the deal though i'm sure i missed the bus for getting a home out there for 10 large or under.
remember me and melissa were gonna hop to chicago to make loot/buy a new setup and such but the CN cops caught us and ganked all our gear? you kicked us $2 for the road and that super warmed my heart. always was a fan of your skating but that made me think a lot of you as a person. hope our paths cross, detroit is still one of my favorite places even if the detroit i love isn't quite extant anymores.
have a bless-ed day, DR!

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
This

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Add Xochimilco in Mexican Town to that list if you're down with that.
Also, Slow BBQ is the best BBQ I've ever had. And I am a huge BBQ fan. You must go to Slow's BBQ.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Add Xochimilco in Mexican Town to that list if you're down with that.
Also, Slow BBQ is the best BBQ I've ever had. And I am a huge BBQ fan. You must go to Slow's BBQ.

have you been to the woodshop out in clarkston? i think its better than slows. im no bbq aficionado though.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
Ann Arbor Park's a blast. We've also got some decent record stores downtown. My favorite is Underground Sound, but also keep an eye out for Wazoo and Encore Records.

This. Ann Arbor is pretty spoiled with record stores. Underground has new stuff and Encore is packed to the brim with used stuff and some new. Wazoo is somewhere in between.

Expand Quote
[close]
This

Seva just moved from downtown to right by the skatepark, so that's convenient. If you like meat, Zingerman's roadhouse is also nearby and their deli is downtown.

My other downtown food favorites are Pita Kabob Grill, where you can and should order Meghan's Falafel, and Earthen Jar, a delicious vegan Indian food buffet.

The Blind Pig is the main venue in town and often has good shows, as does the Majestic/Garden Bowl in Detroit. StabMasterArson might be your bartender there. The 8 Ball in Ann Arbor, which is right behind the Blind Pig, is the local dive you'll see a lot of skaters at. Circus is another nice spot a couple doors down.

Launch is the skateshop in Ann Arbor where I used to work. They have a location right by the skatepark focusing on hardgoods, and the main location downtown at Church and South U with more shoes, clothes, and hardgoods.

The Wig is StabMasterArson's DIY spot and a main meet up spot in Detroit. Google "Wigle Recreation Center" and you'll find it.

Also I'd like to add that I'm vegetarian and I love Slow's.

shark tits

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »

The Blind Pig is the main venue in town and often has good shows, as does the Majestic/Garden Bowl in Detroit. StabMasterArson might be your bartender there. The 8 Ball in Ann Arbor, which is right behind the Blind Pig, is the local dive you'll see a lot of skaters at. Circus is another nice spot a couple doors down.

Also I'd like to add that I'm vegetarian and I love Slow's.
i seen the detroit cobras at majestic, that was pretty dope. didn't get to bowl while i was there, alas. kind of a neat combo. there's a goth club upstairs of a diner, sorry i'm horrible w/ remembering this shit. the building is a giant hotel/apartment buidling, lotta neat stuff there. i got offered a job at the diner in 04 w/ this girl i left yellowstone w/ but i never showed up to wash dishes. [i suck].
there's a few anarcho-houses, 'Trumbullplex' being the OG and 'Mulberry Collective' being the younger sister. i haven't been to the former in 11 yrs and the latter ever but they're doing good things. urban gardening, workshops on sustainable living if that's your bag [what in the world is in that bag?]
cleveland's westside market has the greatest eggs i've ever purchased. they're from Amish country and taste like butter!
i had a lot of spots in that town but it's changed over the yrs, 'the flats' were a bar district on the dirty Cuyahoga but apparently they went belly up via the recession.
i do love and miss those rusty cities!

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 06:04:54 PM »
Also, I've never been to Cleveland, but I know they have a bar/venue called Now That's Class with arcade games and a vert mini.

yungCOLDsweat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Find and kill Jordan Garland before he releases "A Detroit Film" and sets the city back 15 more years. Please.
"Yung Nigga 2 Yung"

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:47 AM »
^hahahaha I heard about this dude last time I was in Detroit

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:05 AM »
Going to be in Detroit today
Last year, my buddy broke his thumb on those city flatbars
Year before, broke his collar bone at that ditch by big boy
Wonder what will happen today?