Author Topic: We Are Blood.  (Read 31674 times)

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: We Are Blood.
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
Was about to buy this, then I watched the trailer for the second time, changed my mind.  Have a bad hangover and the slo mo shots gave me a fair amount of nausea :(

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
I'm 20 minutes in and I just came here to say the video is worth the asking price just to see all the ridiculous shit Tiago is getting up to

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
Link or die

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
Second watch through, I've decided this video is pretty sick, even though it's heavy handed and sappy.

There is definitely insane skating, and i'm sure that when these dudes were on these trips it was fucking fun.

If anyone is still curious, there are no individual skaters' parts, it's all location-based parts. China, Dubai, Midwest road trip, Brazil, LA, etc. Tiago does have a small spotlight part in the Brazil section, but overall it's all location-based.

Also, they went to Skatopia, which is pretty sick. And they pick up Jamie Thomas at some point before that, so you know that the permission to rip was indeed granted. And by the way, Chief is still ripping. Dude is 39 and not scared of handrails. That's some shit. I'm 36 and keep it pretty low key these days. To see a dude pushing 40 still killing some of the gnarly spots is pretty inspiring.

Hate if you want, some of it is warranted. But it IS a good video.

Murdercapital

• Rep: -21
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 05:24:38 PM »
The voiceover makes me visibly cringe. I was embarrassed watching while my girlfriend was sitting beside me.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
I'm a camera nerd, so all the silly drones/slow mo/gimbal stuff doesn't bother me, but the narration is woeful. P Rod sounds like Kevin Arnold from the 'Wonder Years' and what he says is beyond insipid.

BUT

The skating and visuals are insane. I'm over vx1000 and death lens, so watching this in HD on a 80" TV was pretty fucking rad. The only problem I had with it was how it was edited, seriously, it's as tight as a Zero video, like you barely see the roll up/roll away. It would've been nice to see more of that, and they use too many second angles - like they have a quarter of the trick from one angle and then cut to another angle, it gets tiresome over such a long film.

But it's worth the money, and it's raised the bar for skate videos. People will now take this and make something amazing, not amazing and also cringeworthy.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Netflicks

• Rep: -3
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »
Looks interesting. I've never asked this before, but please make me aware of any updates on the availability of this skate production beyond iTunes?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
i cant believe they spent all that money and time and used that weird fisheye crap. it looks so terrible, basically any shot with it didnt even register. a lot of the angles and skating were really good tho
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
"Gonna go ahead and pop another MD sticker on my shred sled..."

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
Second watch through, I've decided this video is pretty sick, even though it's heavy handed and sappy.

There is definitely insane skating, and i'm sure that when these dudes were on these trips it was fucking fun.

If anyone is still curious, there are no individual skaters' parts, it's all location-based parts. China, Dubai, Midwest road trip, Brazil, LA, etc. Tiago does have a small spotlight part in the Brazil section, but overall it's all location-based.

Also, they went to Skatopia, which is pretty sick. And they pick up Jamie Thomas at some point before that, so you know that the permission to rip was indeed granted. And by the way, Chief is still ripping. Dude is 39 and not scared of handrails. That's some shit. I'm 36 and keep it pretty low key these days. To see a dude pushing 40 still killing some of the gnarly spots is pretty inspiring.

Hate if you want, some of it is warranted. But it IS a good video.

I agree with this. Getting ready to watch it again.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
Is this worse than Pretty Sweet? Jack Black or some Hollywood people don't appear do they?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
Is this worse than Pretty Sweet? Jack Black or some Hollywood people don't appear do they?

Nope. I would think that was Spike's deal anyways.....not Ty.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
i can't watch shit that's filmed like this

can't tell you i'll be watching it again

eastenders

• Rep: -115
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »
It's not filmed good, every shot has to be slow panning left or right it get so unoriginal and lame after 5 minutes. There's no style it's super bland. Maybe compared to most skate videos long lens filming it's filmed pretty good, but any actual cinematographer seeing this would think it looked like a budget MTV video. Put this camera/30x drones at once in countless other filmers hands and I guarantee you'll see a skate video more interesting and stylish.  Tiago is so fucking sick. Switch shuv switch bs tail sits on it.  I want to make a re-edit of just his footage but I can't sit through the thing again trying to find it all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:35:57 PM by eastenders »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:41 PM »
"Gonna go ahead and pop another MD sticker on my shred sled..."

That Mountain Dew bottle has to have been brightened in some way, right? Looks like straight up nuclear waste.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2015, 12:45:36 AM »
i actually didnt hate it as much as i expected. i cannot stand those wideangle shots though, and as amazing as the skating was i am pretty sure i`ll never find a reason to watch it again.
that being said, every single person that used to skate or never stood on a board is gonna freaking love that movie. and then go back to kicking you out of every spot.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:14 AM »
ive gotten half way through... Skatings good everything else is dreadful

companguero

• Rep: 247
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 01:24:36 AM »
-A review of this video would need to be entirely capitalized to convey how exhausting it was to watch and hear
-but that would be obnoxious
-I've only seen it once, at the second screening in DTLA so I can't analyze it but it was memorable: the skating, skaters, locations
-Ironically, the first thing I thought after a few minutes into the intro: on one hand highest available picture quality, interesting camera placement/movement/angles ...
then, comparatively, the leanest cuts I've ever seen between tricks.
-The post production editing removed the rhythm of watching skating on screen throughout most of the video but there are some great moments
-I think you'll need the Dew in your system to bring you up to a baseline processing speed to appreciate the production
-It must be in your blood at the molecular level intercepting synaptic activity, which was shown in cgi during the opening of the film
-"We are blood" is what the advertising behind MD is telling you, it's what your vascular system craves
-Remembering tricks: someone back 50s that long curved rail in sacramento with clean camera panning
-Biebel's nollie back heel attempts over picnic table
-clint walker's body varials
-jordan maxham's feeble transfer
-omar is a favorite to watch, doing a ditch speed run with a few pops and a manual made this worth my time
-more irony, the slam section was the most satisfying montage
-Dubai: "what the fuck is humanity up to?"
-Heard muffled laughter after Brandon White's first audible appearance
-20% of attendees get up and leave as soon as credits roll, missing interesting stuff and the darkslide at Uni High

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2015, 06:04:52 AM »
Watch it and Tiago Lemos will be your favorite skater.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:16 AM »
"Should have really been sponsored by Tampax." D Trump.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
Pretty much just want to see Clint's footage.  Any more details on his stuff?
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
Dear Ty,
Thank you for closing out your SUPER EPIC SKATEBOARD MOVIE with the last trick of a guy doing a stationary kickflip on flat in SUPER FUCKING ULTRA HD SLOW MO.

We are Todd Falcon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:49:49 AM by layzieyez »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
Dime challenge -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We Are Blood

There's the spectrum, folks.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »

-Heard muffled laughter after Brandon White's first audible appearance

This made me laugh in a not-so-muffled way.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »
A friend of mine sent me a download link of this so if anybody wants to see it send me a PM for the link...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
the Brazil section was sick...vai de anghabao (sp) looks insane in 4000p hd or whatever the fuck
Tiago is in the conversation for Best Dude Out

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
I have less of a problem with this because I don't really view it as a skate video, and it's definitely WAY better than Pretty Sweet which was supposed to be a skate video.  It kind of comes across as a skateboard episode of Human Planet with a bad voice over (seriously, leave that shit to the Richard Attenboroughs of the world.  They're better at it.) but I don't really see the hate as being justified because I don't see this as necessarily being meant for skateboarders.  It's a presentation of skateboarding around the world for everyone else.

Ty, it's time to leave skateboarding and go direct a big motion picture.  I think you'd do very well at that.

I agree it being somewhat of a Animal Planet documentary. Ty's is like trying to create a story but it didn't come off as organic and seemed way too planned out. But seeing how this was funded by Mountain Dew and not a core skateboard company, it makes sense.

I do love how there were so many odd cameos in this film from Pops, Ramondetta, Nyjah, Forest, Torey, Jesus Fernandez, old man kickflipping, etc.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
the Brazil section was sick...vai de anghabao (sp) looks insane in 4000p hd or whatever the fuck

Could you clarify on what you mean by "Out"?

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could you clarify on what you mean by "Out"?

;D

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
I have less of a problem with this because I don't really view it as a skate video, and it's definitely WAY better than Pretty Sweet which was supposed to be a skate video.  It kind of comes across as a skateboard episode of Human Planet with a bad voice over (seriously, leave that shit to the Richard Attenboroughs of the world.  They're better at it.) but I don't really see the hate as being justified because I don't see this as necessarily being meant for skateboarders.  It's a presentation of skateboarding around the world for everyone else.

pretty much. it was obviously not meant to be core. i imagine for kids who are 8-12 and have the sports kind of parents this video could be like this generations THPS and get a lot of kids who otherwise wouldn't get into skating into it and that doesn't seem like a bad thing.

i also didn't find it as annoying as ty's crail work but i think that's because it was the "zaney" stuff that bugged me in those videos more than the music and slow mo high fives.