Author Topic: Portland, Oregon  (Read 4537 times)

jetset

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Portland, Oregon
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
Hey guys,

Heading over to Portland mid September and was wondering what's gooooood over there. Obviously going to check out Burnside –  are there any unwritten rules like showing up with some concrete or anything? Also any sick music venues or restaurant you suggest? I tried Reddit but they were pretty useless. Also if you wanna meet up for brews/to skate I'm down (going with a few people who don't skate).

Thanks

JAesop

Re: Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
Burnside vibe varies by time of day and who is skating. The few times I went it was just like any other park, empty during the day and busier later on... I did help clean beer cans out from around the round bowl with some locals when I went. Just don't be a kook and you will be fine. It was a rougher surface than I expectedand suprisingly hard to keep speed. I had 53's though...
Benedict is good and if you have a car you can hit up Battleground and my favorite, Hood River.
I just ate out of food trucks and they were mostly good. So many restaurants and neighborhoods, it would take weeks just to check it all out.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »
Actually they're adding to the park soon since a building is getting thrown up right next the park. I remember seeing an article somewhere saying the building manager or whoever was in charge had given the go ahead in an effort to keep a good relationship going with skaters. Peep this for a better idea of whats going on. Lots of music venues. Lots of food trucks, in tons of different areas I would recommend those over restaurants actually. The downtown has lots of spots to skate, some are bust some are changed but most are still there.

jetset

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »
Burnside vibe varies by time of day and who is skating. The few times I went it was just like any other park, empty during the day and busier later on... I did help clean beer cans out from around the round bowl with some locals when I went. Just don't be a kook and you will be fine. It was a rougher surface than I expectedand suprisingly hard to keep speed. I had 53's though...
Benedict is good and if you have a car you can hit up Battleground and my favorite, Hood River.
I just ate out of food trucks and they were mostly good. So many restaurants and neighborhoods, it would take weeks just to check it all out.

Thanks yo – will definitely cop some new wheels before heading there haha

jetset

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
Actually they're adding to the park soon since a building is getting thrown up right next the park. I remember seeing an article somewhere saying the building manager or whoever was in charge had given the go ahead in an effort to keep a good relationship going with skaters. Peep this for a better idea of whats going on. Lots of music venues. Lots of food trucks, in tons of different areas I would recommend those over restaurants actually. The downtown has lots of spots to skate, some are bust some are changed but most are still there.

Damn this was helllla helpful, thanks a bunch posguy!

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
no problem! have fun in Portland and skate downtown!

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
sorry to bump this but i didn't want to start a new thread.  Im going to portland at the end of the month with the gf.  What section is better for someone into something pretty laid back but easily accessible to dive bars good music and food and close enough to a skate shop etc? I found a place on airbnb that actually has a mini ramp in the backyard thats in NE portland.  Is this a cool area?

N.L.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
where in NE? if its close in the answer is yes. if its far out you might be on the bus/max.

Lmaopercs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:46:23 AM »
I just moved here and it's been raining for 2 weeks straight, anyone know of any indoor spots?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
sorry to bump this but i didn't want to start a new thread.  Im going to portland at the end of the month with the gf.  What section is better for someone into something pretty laid back but easily accessible to dive bars good music and food and close enough to a skate shop etc? I found a place on airbnb that actually has a mini ramp in the backyard thats in NE portland.  Is this a cool area?
I lived at 24th and east Burnside when I was there. Really accessible to good dive bars by both board and bus. Burnside was about a 5 minute skate away. It's been a while, but I think shrunken head is just around the corner from the shop in SE, and cal skates is just over the bridge in downtown. I'll be working in Mt. Hood this summer, so I'm really looking forward to getting reacquainted with the city.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I lived at 24th and east Burnside when I was there. Really accessible to good dive bars by both board and bus. Burnside was about a 5 minute skate away. It's been a while, but I think shrunken head is just around the corner from the shop in SE, and cal skates is just over the bridge in downtown. I'll be working in Mt. Hood this summer, so I'm really looking forward to getting reacquainted with the city.

Thanks!

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
Wow this was soo helpful! Anyone know where I can find some pics of Portland spots? Or some good local vids to lurk on youtube for spots?

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »
Shoebottom's youtube channel has some good Portland videos.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
Wow this was soo helpful! Anyone know where I can find some pics of Portland spots? Or some good local vids to lurk on youtube for spots?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:04:31 PM by posguy »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I skated this spot with Bobby Puleo the first time I ever went to Portland. I didn't even think about it when I lived there though. Nostalgia

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think I skated this spot with Bobby Puleo the first time I ever went to Portland. I didn't even think about it when I lived there though. Nostalgia

It's in a parking lot next to the river so if that rings a bell than it's the spot.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 05:47:42 AM »
Oh, I know it's the same spot. I just hadn't thought about it in a really long time. When I lived there I was pretty much just doing the Burnside thing.

The Shogun

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 02:30:13 PM »

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
Hey Portland PALS, I'm going to be up there in a few days for a week. Thanks for the street spots provided. Anyone know where this spot is?

My friend is more into parks so he'll take me to the one's he likes. Also on a long shot what gay bars or cafes are good? Museums worth checking out? What else should I check out before I leave?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:07:50 PM by yapple dapple »

StupidlyOriginal_SB

• Rep: -5
  • Fuck It.
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 06:29:19 PM »
Hey Portland PALS, I'm going to be up there in a few days for a week. Thanks for the street spots provided. Anyone know where this spot is?

My friend is more into parks so he'll take me to the one's he likes. Also on a long shot what gay bars or cafes are good? Museums worth checking out? What else should I check out before I leave?

Thats Lincoln High School, right across from Jeld-Wen Soccer Arena. Super easy to get too off the max.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »

random stuff I like in Portland that I deem worth checking out:

http://www.powells.com/
World's largest independent bookstore. Right downtown, worth a visit even if you aren't looking to buy, has a little caf? and some of the most esoteric, well-organized sections anywhere.

http://sistersoftheroad.org/
Somewhere between a bum-feed, an infoshop, and a community center, first-time visitors eat free or by donation. Used to always stop in when I was riding trains, still would go if I was out that way. I have met interesting people every time I've gone there.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
Very helpful so far Thanx. I definitely want to check out Powell's because I'm almost done with A song of ice and fire and need to pick up A clash of kings. I'm sure they have other goodies that will find me in there. What about hiking trails?
Keep em coming...

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »
Mt Tabor is really accessible for in city hiking/wooded walking and pretty decent.

Mostly

• Rep: 24
    • MostlySkateboarding avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »
Very helpful so far Thanx. I definitely want to check out Powell's because I'm almost done with A song of ice and fire and need to pick up A clash of kings. I'm sure they have other goodies that will find me in there. What about hiking trails?
Keep em coming...

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Main_Page
This is a good resource for hikes. Eagle Creek to Punchbowl is a classic hike with tons of photo ops, cliffs and a waterfall at the end. You can cruise through the Columbia River Gorge and see a bunch of rad waterfalls right off the road. I wrote some thoughts on that here: http://mostlytempleton.blogspot.com/2014/09/hikes-on-historic-columbia-river-highway.html

If you like mid-century modern furniture and design, check out The Good Mod. http://www.thegoodmod.com/ It's nearish Powell's on the top level of a building in a cool space with lots of cool furniture.

N.L.

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »
Mt Tabor is really accessible for in city hiking/wooded walking and pretty decent.

also has primo curbs and hills to skate.