Author Topic: Castrucci of Self Respect  (Read 6360 times)

violentpizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
Re: Castrucci of Self Respect
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
That shit is crazy about the ear i didnt know that, and a double fuck yeah for posting Live at Pompeii. I have that on VHS so badass and heavy.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 02:17:07 AM »
I am not a fan of the band,
but i like both designs and woud
ride the boards.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »
whatever helps him lay off the Woods collabs.

Having said that, habitat should do a White Fence board  8)

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »
The Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd (Studio Version)

Pink Floyd are pretty sick, there's nothing lame about that collab.

The most iconic Baker board apart from the team logo
was that Aladdin Sane Reynolds graphic.

I.e. classic rock and skateboarding go well together

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
I really like the sound of Floyd on vinyl. If you listen the Dark Side of the Moon its totally different to the modern version of the record. Specially Brain Damage/Eclipse. Animals is an amazing record and I totally love that album.

Im always looking for the really old vinyls because I think the amazing part of collect LPs its the fact they have history. Both of these are really old. Im looking for Meddle, Wish you were here and The Wall but always I lose the bids at last minute. On the Record Store I love to go they just have re-issues and fuck that.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Echoes from Live @ Pompei = one of rock's greatest works of art
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

zippy z

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
It's not about Pink Floyd. It's about Habitat going down the same path that got them in hot water the first time. I'm scared this is the first step of another bad journey for the Habitat team.

JAM

• Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
It's not about Pink Floyd. It's about Habitat going down the same path that got them in hot water the first time. I'm scared this is the first step of another bad journey for the Habitat team.

Habitat was never in 'hot water'. The company that owned DNA went bankrupt. It had literally nothing to do with AWS or Habitat or how their sales or product were doing or what board graphics they were putting out. Also Pink Floyd is tight and so is Joe. You actually know nothing.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »
Habitat/Alien pre-Burton* never had to stoop to making lowest common denominator collaborations. Andy Warhol and Pink Floyd? Give me a break.

*I know they're not under Burton now, but that was the watershed moment.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
heavier than all that stoner rock crap:

Pink Floyd - The Nile Song

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
How you can hate this ? So classy.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »
Al Davis on AYC was a shock imo. But get money fuck bitches or something like that.

zippy z

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
They were a brand within a company. They were lucky to hold onto the ownership of the brand when the parent company went to hell and imploded.

If the collab was with Bob Marley's estate would you be cool with it? How about a Habitat X Ghost Face collab? Maybe Habitat X Doctor Bronner's? I'd hate a Habitat X Scott Walker collab. Let Huf do the garbage collabs with any and all takers. The Ginger Lynn of street wear.

My issue is with the business decisions collabs represent not with the aesthetics or associations of the collab itself.

Expand Quote
[close]

Habitat was never in 'hot water'. The company that owned DNA went bankrupt. It had literally nothing to do with AWS or Habitat or how their sales or product were doing or what board graphics they were putting out. Also Pink Floyd is tight and so is Joe. You actually know nothing.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
What about Habitat x Todd Jordan?

Jares

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
That would actually be pretty sic.

What about Habitat x Todd Jordan?

I'm not a big fan of the Floyd (I do love all of their early stuff) but their whole reality is a virtual treasure chest of images, its kind of dissapointing to only see the most iconic ones being used. For example, that Meddle ear graphic on a purple or blue stained board would have been gnarly or the "Labyrinth" album cover on a black stained board- oof! Not to mention the madness of "The Wall," hell, even a screen-grab from the live from Pompeii video would have been a rad shirt.

They could have gone way harder on this if they had wanted to.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »
I've actually got a few thoughts...

I could see a Habitat x GFK collaboration on an Al Davis board. Throw Al in the supreme clientele album art and I'd buy it.
Regardless of the Pink Floyd collaboration, their graphics haven't been consistently good since around the mosaic era, in my opinion. They remind me of a little kid who likes Habitat a lot and doodles board graphics in class, but doesn't quite get why they older Habitat graphics are good yet. Same with their videos. The skating and team have always been great, but it seems like after Inhabitants, all of the videos have been trying to copy the Habitat formula without fully grasping what it is, if that makes any sense. It's almost like Castrucci hasn't done the graphics since Wenning left. Case in point, those GX1000 boards, which I felt, personally, as a Habitat fan and a GX fan, to be extrememely lazy (same actual board graphic, different color scheme and pro only) and the 'Pack and Go' series. Or that could be me disliking the unnecessary "PACK AND GO" taking up a third of the graphic.

Either way, this isn't the worst of their worries.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »

I could see a Habitat x GFK collaboration on an Al Davis board. Throw Al in the supreme clientele album art and I'd buy it.
Regardless of the Pink Floyd collaboration, their graphics haven't been consistently good since around the mosaic era, in my opinion. They remind me of a little kid who likes Habitat a lot and doodles board graphics in class, but doesn't quite get why they older Habitat graphics are good yet. Same with their videos. The skating and team have always been great, but it seems like after Inhabitants, all of the videos have been trying to copy the Habitat formula without fully grasping what it is, if that makes any sense. It's almost like Castrucci hasn't done the graphics since Wenning left. Case in point, those GX1000 boards, which I felt, personally, as a Habitat fan and a GX fan, to be extrememely lazy (same actual board graphic, different color scheme and pro only) and the 'Pack and Go' series. Or that could be me disliking the unnecessary "PACK AND GO" taking up a third of the graphic.

Great points start to finish here. I've always been a big supporter of Habitat (since Day 1) but I try to stay unbiased without sounding too much like a fanboi. The graphics have kind of ebbed and flowed IMO. I kind of liked both Charley Harper collabs and there have been some amazing series (the Exposition series might be one of my favorites from any company in the last 15 years), but also some real misses.  There is some good looking stuff coming in this Fall '15 catalog.

Regarding the team... they've always had some great riders but I feel like the team now, in it's current inception, is the best representation of the aesthetic Habitat is trying to capture. As corny as that may sound.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:59:45 AM by heritage »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
heavier than all that stoner rock crap:

Pink Floyd - The Nile Song

I totally forgot about this song, nice!  Not a big fan of the band anymore either, but I still get down to St. Tropez and Fearless.  Nothing wrong with this collab, it's not like it's infowars or anything.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great points start to finish here. I've always been a big supporter of Habitat (since Day 1) but I try to stay unbiased without sounding too much like a fanboi. The graphics have kind of ebbed and flowed IMO. I kind of liked both Charley Harper collabs and there have been some amazing series (the Exposition series might be one of my favorites from any company in the last 15 years), but also some real misses.  There is some good looking stuff coming in this Fall '15 catalog.

Regarding the team... they've always had some great riders but I feel like the team now, in it's current inception, is the best representation of the aesthetic Habitat is trying to capture. As corny as that may sound.

YO, who's that in your sig....

clemsausage

• Rep: 23
  • Recordings of Boardings
    • Recordings of Boardings avatar image
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
hypothetical situation: freddy on cons and scum co.

edit: and heineken

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »

Paul Shier from Make Friends with The Colour Blue. One of my favorite parts.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
How you can hate this ? So classy.

not into Floyd at all, but these look really nice
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »

Money bumps

The issue here is that the graphic is an obvious money grab. The mass opinion generally approves of Pink Floyd, and these habitat boards will appeal to those 60mm college cruiser bro/stoner and general know nothing about skateboarding types.  Also, it's not creative. It's one of the laziest graphic design ideas that also seems to work. I'm sure templeton made that board just to sell decks, because you know that's why he runs toy. To sell boards.

Design wise, it isn't clever. Nothing new. Money bumps. Mass appeal is boring.

nothing's been the since same

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really.. wouldnt' have thought that.

Shier's sick though, Isle skateboards are putting out some of the best graphics right now.

zippy z

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »
Oh, for fucks sake! Habitat X Official collabo.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Really.. wouldnt' have thought that.

Shier's sick though, Isle skateboards are putting out some of the best graphics right now.

The original Blueprint was fantastic. I distribute their boards some years ago and everytime a new shipment came I was fascinated with how everything was create with such a good taste. Make friends with the colour blue is a unique skate video. I enjoy it a lot !

Around this same time I also sell Habitat boards and shoes. I dont remember any collection of boards that really was mindblowing but all the soft goods were always on point. Thats a plus with that company !

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »
Habitat x Bernie Sanders collab
#makeithappenyesterday
do more yoga!