Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 44949 times)

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #330 on: February 18, 2018, 10:37:04 PM »
seeing John Maus tonight, on a whim, i dig some of his songs... but don't really know what they'd be like in a live setting. whatever, only 13 bucks. stoked.

I saw John Maus last Sunday the 11th, at Union Transfer in Philadelphia.

At first I didn't want to go, cause I figured he'd mostly be playing tracks from his most recent album, that I've only listened to twice.

But he actually had a really good, varied setlist, which mostly followed a chronological order. All the live-versions of the songs from his earlier albums, sounded even better than they did on the records. "Rights for Gays" was probably the crowd favorite/got the biggest reaction.

I think in the second half of the show, only two songs off the newest album even got played, and like four or five "Pitiless Censors" (prob my fav release of his) tracks got played, with the encore of the show being "Believer", which he performed amazingly well.

Nancy Drew

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
seeing John Maus tonight, on a whim, i dig some of his songs... but don't really know what they'd be like in a live setting. whatever, only 13 bucks. stoked.

At first I didn't want to go, cause I figured he'd mostly be playing tracks from his most recent album, that I've only listened to twice.

But he actually had a really good, varied setlist, which mostly followed a chronological order. All the live-versions of the songs from his earlier albums, sounded even better than they did on the records. "Rights for Gays" was probably the crowd favorite/got the biggest reaction.

I think in the second half of the show, only two songs off the newest album even got played, and like four or five "Pitiless Censors" (prob my fav release of his) tracks got played, with the encore of the show being "Believer", which he performed amazingly well.

I saw him on the 16th in toronto! Great set. so glad he ditched the karaoke and got a backing band.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
Saw Jeff Rosenstock Thursday. Saw Touché Amore and La Dispute on Friday.

Both shows fucked me up in a good way.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »

I saw him on the 16th in toronto! Great set. so glad he ditched the karaoke and got a backing band.

backing band was great. the keyboard dude was unintentionally or possibly intentionally hilarious, and rhythm section was super tight. same encore for me i believe. played all the songs i wanted to hear with the exception of that one preston harper skated to in worship friendship.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »

backing band was great. the keyboard dude was unintentionally or possibly intentionally hilarious, and rhythm section was super tight. same encore for me i believe. played all the songs i wanted to hear with the exception of that one preston harper skated to in worship friendship.

Yeah! My friend and I were laughing about the keyboard guy too. We couldn't figure him out.

Seemed so bored, like he was kinda annoyed with John Maus at times, but then he'd do something legit funny. Also just walked the fuck off, immediately after the encore.
Nancy Drew

igrindtwinkies

• Rep: 2
  • S T R A I G H T J A C K E T
« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
I've got tickets for Sleep, Black Angels/Black Lips, and Bone thugs.  I've seen sleep and bone before.

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 417
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
Bump.

Ringworm with harms way early this month, and eyehategod with the Cro-mags few weeks ago. Pure insanity.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
godspeed you black emperor last weekend. was some bucket list shit for me. it was awesome, 30 bucks. amazing visuals. they are very tight live. played a bit under 2 hours. didn't play some songs i was looking forward to but when every song is 20 minutes long that's not surprising. they mixed certain parts of different songs together in a few places. ended it with the blaise bailey finnegan III, a great closer. very boring opening band that i don't care to remember the name of.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
I feel you on the bucket list shit, ungzilla. Saw Yo La Tengo tonight and I feel happier than I have in years at a live show.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: April 07, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
Some of my friends are going to see Yo La Tengo tonight, but I backed out cause I have other stuff going on.
Did they mostly play new stuff, or was it songs from throughout their discography?

After spending the last few years barely going to any shows, in the last like month and a half, I've seen John Maus, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (for the 2nd time), Nils Frahm, and Gas (Wolfgang Voigt), all at the same venue.

Seeing Peter Hook playing Joy Division and New Order songs, and Panda Bear with Geologist as the opening act, there too within the next month.
Nancy Drew

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #340 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Sleep, last night.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
Some of my friends are going to see Yo La Tengo tonight, but I backed out cause I have other stuff going on.
Did they mostly play new stuff, or was it songs from throughout their discography?

After spending the last few years barely going to any shows, in the last like month and a half, I've seen John Maus, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (for the 2nd time), Nils Frahm, and Gas (Wolfgang Voigt), all at the same venue.

Seeing Peter Hook playing Joy Division and New Order songs, and Panda Bear with Geologist as the opening act, there too within the next month.

ahhhh due to being broke I just missed them play New Haven CT! No idea about the show, and really don't wanna hear the show was good.. I don't wanna get upset about it. Def going to see Kurt Vile in New Haven in June (Ex Best Friend's cousin is a member of the band).
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Alan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2018, 07:10:56 AM »
@childhood, they played new and old stuff, it was a good mix of both. Here's the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yo-la-tengo/2018/the-phoenix-concert-theatre-toronto-on-canada-23ef545f.html

They have so many albums and they could play any of these songs at a drop of the hat, so the setlists vary from show to show. It's a lottery, but you win every time. For example, they didn't play Sugarcube here, but did in the next show. But then they played Yellow Sarong, which they didn't play elsewhere.

clamy

• Rep: 80
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
I saw Yo La Tengo a few years ago in Canada. They blew me away, Ira played with so much energy. They played a lot from I Can Hear The Heart, such as Autumn Sweater and Sugarcube. One of the best shows I've been to.

I'm seeing Mazzy Star in a couple of months. Already looking forward to that, too.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2018, 04:23:00 AM »
Went to a TTNG show a few days ago. I am partially to some math rock once in a while, and this time it really hit the spot. And the banter was pretty funny, too.

the_unknown_soldier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #345 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Saw AJJ a couple nights ago. My friend's band opened for them and I'm still insanely jealous about it. Then a week from tomorrow I'm seeing Jeff Rosenstock, and hopefully seeing the two back to back will finally motivate me to make music again, because both of those bands are largely the reason I started in the first place.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Went to a TTNG show a few days ago. I am partially to some math rock once in a while, and this time it really hit the spot. And the banter was pretty funny, too.

Oh that's sick. I think I preferred them when they had their original vocalist, but their guitarist is still amazing. Victor Villareal-esque.
Nancy Drew

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Rep: 20
« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Saw AJJ a couple nights ago. My friend's band opened for them and I'm still insanely jealous about it. Then a week from tomorrow I'm seeing Jeff Rosenstock, and hopefully seeing the two back to back will finally motivate me to make music again, because both of those bands are largely the reason I started in the first place.

They came to Seattle a few months back and I just happened to walk past the venue. I talked to the bouncer and he let me in for free to watch for a few songs. Fuckin awesome. Thank you Chop Suey bouncer.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 0
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
Saw Earthless about a month ago and it was fucking amazing!  They put on one of the best live shows.  Kikagaku Moyo, from Japan, opened up for them and were mindblowing too.  Psychedelic rock with a sitar.

Caught Propagandhi at the beginning of March. They still bring it.  Been one of my all time favorite bands for over 20 years. 

coyote2425

• Rep: 29
« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2018, 05:52:39 AM »
Saw Earthless about a month ago and it was fucking amazing!  They put on one of the best live shows.  Kikagaku Moyo, from Japan, opened up for them and were mindblowing too.  Psychedelic rock with a sitar.

Caught Propagandhi at the beginning of March. They still bring it.  Been one of my all time favorite bands for over 20 years.

I got burned on Earthless being sold out, but saw Dead Meadow in Brooklyn. Amazing.

Also saw Mac Sabbath again recently. If you don't know, look it up and go see them. You won't be disappointed.

jstankalwara

• Rep: -12
« Reply #350 on: May 03, 2018, 06:09:32 AM »
Sleep, last night.
saw them April 4 shit was tight

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
I caught Backtrack and Mizery a couple days ago at a small venue in Berkeley, both had rad sets.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 623
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #352 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »
Saw Parquet Courts last night and they were great. Goat Girl opened for them and they had a solid set. It didn't seem like a lot of people knew who they were but I heard a lot of people saying really positive things when they were done. I don't love all of their music but they've got a few good jams and it was just cool seeing a young band from the UK touring and playing to a decent sized crowd in the US on their first time here.

Parquet Courts played a lot of stuff off the new album. Everything they played was great and I think the songs that I didn't really love on the new one were the ones I enjoyed most live. "Before The Water Gets Too High" was a real highlight. They played some classics too that got the crowd going. Crowd was great too, tons of energy. I was dead tired from busting my ass in the yard all day, so I just stood on the edge of the pit, but the fact that people were going wild and nobody was on their phones made it really fun. My only gripe is that the jam they ended with wasn't really that good and I'm only saying it because I've seen them do way better ones. I don't know if it was all improvised, but it just didn't do it like they usually do. Really wish they would've played "Stoned and Starving" instead, but maybe next time.

Overall it was a great show. I'm glad my wife enjoyed it too because I drag her to all the shitty shows I want to go see and we very rarely get to go see something she likes.

aloftystandard

• Rep: -6
« Reply #353 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
Finally got to go see Godspeed You! Black Emperor last Friday at Pappy and Harriet's. One of the best shows I have been to in a long while. Seeing a band like that under the stars in the middle of the desert can be a pretty surreal experience. The sound was amazing and they had some really great visual effects going throughout the show. They used tree reel to reel projectors running different film loops. At one point they were projecting what looked like a civil rights era klan riot, brown people getting jumped by a mob, then you realize it was just a trump rally in Huntington Beach. That was paired with a loop of a plane falling from the sky. The whole show was real heavy.

Owen

• Rep: 12
    • My Photos
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
Saw Power Trip last night and I feel like I got hit by a bus. Overall good show

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »

At the same show? I just heard about TFS and thought their new album was pretty awesome. Sounded like some shit you'd hear at like a demonic psychedelic circus.

I don't love everything king gizz puts out, but I'd love to see them live. Everything I've watched on youtube is great.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: June 18, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
My brother and sister in laws got us free tickets to Peter Frampton and Steve Miller last night. Not something I would've paid to see, but I had a lot more fun than I expected. Everyone on stage was a great musician and I enjoyed their playing. People watching wasn't bad either.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -43
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #358 on: June 18, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
Face to Face awesome show in Lake Worthless
Descendants Ft Lauderdale rad but a bit cramped
Dwarves amazing but minus he who must not be named
Marky Ramone mehhhh...... Okay I guess
Everymen, give it a rest these guys fucking suck your music is a few years too late
She wants revenge a pseudo goth hipsterish chic type of dark wave new romantics of ex's it was alright
Eyehategod in a rural small bar super awesome but bummed on smokers but to see a rad band like this you have to bite the bullet
Weedeater in Miami awesome show rad people goodtimes a plenty
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Rep: 20
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
Saw some random math rock bands at the Neptune on thursday because my buddy had a spare ticket. The crowd was pretty rad and the pit was really fun. Not normally my scene but I had a great time. Mastodon and Primus on friday super fucking rad. Mastodon mostly just played stuff from their two newer albums but played bladecatcher and some other gems. Primus fucking killed like usual. Third time seeing both bands. I think im going to try to go to smaller venues and seeing bands I havent seen before.

Face to Face awesome show in Lake Worthless
Descendants Ft Lauderdale rad but a bit cramped
Dwarves amazing but minus he who must not be named
Marky Ramone mehhhh...... Okay I guess
Everymen, give it a rest these guys fucking suck your music is a few years too late
She wants revenge a pseudo goth hipsterish chic type of dark wave new romantics of ex's it was alright
Eyehategod in a rural small bar super awesome but bummed on smokers but to see a rad band like this you have to bite the bullet
Weedeater in Miami awesome show rad people goodtimes a plenty

Saw Dwarves, Queers, and Screeching Weasel a few years back and it was a really awesome time. Eyehategod would be sick especially in a small little venue like that.

My brother and sister in laws got us free tickets to Peter Frampton and Steve Miller last night. Not something I would've paid to see, but I had a lot more fun than I expected. Everyone on stage was a great musician and I enjoyed their playing. People watching wasn't bad either.

You summed that up pretty well. I felt the same way when Mark Knopfler came with Bob Dylan. Would have loved to see Knopfler but with Dylan attached it just wasn't worth it. No hate on any of his fans but I just couldn't ever get into most of his music. Same with the Beatles. I guess there is just something wrong with me haha. I dont think they're bad musicians or anything its just most of their music doesn't do it for me.