Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92507 times)

WantSomeSlaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -26
  • bohica
bands you've seen recently
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
My friend's band was one of the openers for Badfish, which is a Sublime tribute band, so me and a few buddies drove up to see them. Super fun concert. I've been into sublime for a while, but seeing Badfish really got me into them now
Who have y'all seen lately?
Shit could be worse

Rusty_Berrings

Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
I ain't been to many shows in the past couple years but I saw the motherfucking Beach Boys the other night and went back stage and chilled briefly great time.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
saw these guys play their 1st show a few months back...proggy...3 30 am, was feeling it!

here's a video of it-

Ross Jenssen- "Balderdash" - Live @ Disc Jam 2015

sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
Slum village Monday, Thundercat on Tuesday.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
Motörhead by myself, Big Business/ Melvins with the lady. Potentially seeing Judas Priest on Tuesday.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
One day I randomly was by Hollywood and had some extra spending cash so i stopped by pharmacy to try to buy something. Had a shitty customer service experience and backed out ( They suck!!!). So i walked the block down to Ameoba and randomly walked in to a free Mini Mansions Concert. I had never heard of them at the time, but i ended up liking them and bought their album instead.

This is from that day.

Mini Mansions - Freakout!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:16 PM »
saw Wovenhand the other day and they were pretty awesome.  opened up for Chelsea Wolfe who i've seen a bunch of times and were pretty boring/corny.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »
At the gates 2 days ago, great show

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
This band from MTL called Solids that's super sick.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 06:52:34 AM »
Mot�rhead by myself, Big Business/ Melvins with the lady. Potentially seeing Judas Priest on Tuesday.

Motorhead was the worst show i've seen this year... Lemmy is like a living mummy.

Went to this last weekend:

The "?" was grave pleasures (former beastmilk)

Converge and Amenra were the highlights for sure... The rest was great too, just thought that some of the experimental acts felt like fillers (random noises are not my thing)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Anyone ever seen The Queers? Good live show? I've owned a CD or two in my day but I couldn't tell ya if I'd enjoy them live. Oh yeah and by the way I found out about it by looking for local shows just like you know new music I might not've heard b4 and yeah couldn't find nothin so yeah there's this. Should I officiate my marriage to pushing Mongo by dancing to "I'm not a mongo anymore"? yay or nay? right now. times runnin out.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
are we talking about the same Wovenhand? 

Wovenhand - Dirty Blue

just saw this band the other night and they were pretty great.  still kind of sloppy and rough around the edges, but great potential.  awesome female fronted deathrock:

https://flowersandfire.bandcamp.com/releases

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »
I ain't been to many shows in the past couple years but I saw the motherfucking Beach Boys the other night and went back stage and chilled briefly great time.

I went and it was dangerous as fuck....a bunch of seniors dancing around in the stands.....in the dark no less....

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 03:34:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went and it was dangerous as fuck....a bunch of seniors dancing around in the stands.....in the dark no less....
well. did you get wasted?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »

I saw Neurosis a month and a half ago

ORLY?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 07:17:08 PM »
homies band they also played with thrones rip off band who were also really good

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
Ive seen Stoned Jesus on Sunday, that was tight as fuck.

themoustache

• Rep: 26
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »
Saw Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats a few weeks back here in Boston.  Show was amazing, great play selection across their spectrum of albums.  The opener act was Ruby the Hatchet, never heard of em but they were fucking ripping shit live.  Amazing guitar and drum work.  Really glad I burnt one on the walk over too, melted into their groove immediately on entering.

Caught Yo La Tengo on a mellow acoustic set this past Saturday, really awesome.  Their shows are great, and there's a huge spectrum of young and old folks there, really great vibes.

Shannon & The Clams is on my radar in a few weeks, best way to start a work week is with a live act.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
saw twin shadow, and lolawolf last Wednesday. great show.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 35
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
Saw King Crimson a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Robert Fripp play guitar was almost like a religious experience. also, three fucking drummers

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Caught Yo La Tengo on a mellow acoustic set this past Saturday, really awesome.  Their shows are great, and there's a huge spectrum of young and old folks there, really great vibes.

Saw them a couple of months ago. Non-acoustic, but it was exactly like you described. They played a range of songs from their discography and it was amazing.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Johnny Rad

• Rep: 13
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 11:06:38 AM »
Good year of shows so far in 2015, I've seen:
Bob Mould
War on Drugs
No Joy
Diiv
Steely Dan
Sebadoh
Modest Mouse
Smoking Popes
High on Fire
Ride

Tonight I'm seeing Luna tomorrow I'm seeing Neon Indian
And coming up I have Naked Raygun, Mark Kozelek, and Deerhunter.
I also saw him snake a kid with cancer once for some go fund me or some shit.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
I saw Defeater (probably my favorite band) and Four Year Strong a couple weeks ago, it was so much fun. Plus it was right down the street from my apartment. God I love walking to shows. Defeater I was right up in front, then Four Year Strong I was drunk and near the back half deaf. This is the second time I've seen Four Year Strong this year so I think I should start listening to them more regularly, they're really fun live.

A week from tomorrow my girlfriend and I are going up to Baltimore to see Circa Survive. They're her favorite band, and they're touring for the 10 year anniversary of their Juturna album so it should be a really good show. We saw them last year and I had a great time even though I wasn't familiar with their stuff. Plus I surprised her with the deluxe package or whatever so before the show she gets to see them play an acoustic set and she gets a meet and greet with the band, plus a special pressing of Juturna on vinyl and a wall banner. I'm going to drink beers near the venue during that, haha.

Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »
Saw King Crimson a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Robert Fripp play guitar was almost like a religious experience. also, three fucking drummers
hollly shit. Fripp is probably my favorite rock guitarist. That must have been amazing. What was the set list like?

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
Just saw Battles last week which was amazing as always. Hungout at black afterwords which was fun.Jamie XX and DJ Harvey this past monday. This chick Empress Of who just signed to XL was really fucking great live. Her first proper LA show was sold out at the Echo which is always my favorite way to see an up and comer.  Psychic TV was a dreadful experience however.  I can't fucking wait for the 29th. I have tickets to see Philip fucking Glass with the Kronos Quartet performing a score to Dracula live to the film at the Ace Theater in downtown. Fuck that's going to be amazing.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 12:36:45 AM »
Good year of shows so far in 2015, I've seen:
Bob Mould
War on Drugs
No Joy
Diiv
Steely Dan
Sebadoh
Modest Mouse
Smoking Popes
High on Fire
Ride

Tonight I'm seeing Luna tomorrow I'm seeing Neon Indian
And coming up I have Naked Raygun, Mark Kozelek, and Deerhunter.

Fucking eh you've been to some good ones so far this year.. I would kill to see diiv.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:47 AM »
I saw Defeater (probably my favorite band) and Four Year Strong a couple weeks ago, it was so much fun. Plus it was right down the street from my apartment. God I love walking to shows. Defeater I was right up in front, then Four Year Strong I was drunk and near the back half deaf. This is the second time I've seen Four Year Strong this year so I think I should start listening to them more regularly, they're really fun live.

A week from tomorrow my girlfriend and I are going up to Baltimore to see Circa Survive. They're her favorite band, and they're touring for the 10 year anniversary of their Juturna album so it should be a really good show. We saw them last year and I had a great time even though I wasn't familiar with their stuff. Plus I surprised her with the deluxe package or whatever so before the show she gets to see them play an acoustic set and she gets a meet and greet with the band, plus a special pressing of Juturna on vinyl and a wall banner. I'm going to drink beers near the venue during that, haha.

I've seen Defeater this year too, 2 or 3 months ago i think. They didnt play that much stuff from Empty Days & Sleepless Nights which is my favourite album from theirs. I was a little bummed.
Their latest stuff starts to sound all the same imo...
Four year strong is pretty fun in album so they should be great live!
I couldnt get into circa survive yet, the winny voice bugs me out a bit.

This friday i will see Capsize in a small venue, i'm expecting to be fun as hell.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've seen Defeater this year too, 2 or 3 months ago i think. They didnt play that much stuff from Empty Days & Sleepless Nights which is my favourite album from theirs. I was a little bummed.
Their latest stuff starts to sound all the same imo...
Four year strong is pretty fun in album so they should be great live!
I couldnt get into circa survive yet, the winny voice bugs me out a bit.

This friday i will see Capsize in a small venue, i'm expecting to be fun as hell.

that should be a good time. I felt the same way about circa, they're growing on me though. If you get a chance to see FYS I'd definitely recommend it, they're seriously a blast. Honestly, I kind of agree about Defeater. I love them, I love the overarching story in their records, but this most recent one just didn't hit me as hard as the other ones have. There's one chorus in particular that was a little "butt rock" for my tastes. Also I understand that they can do slower acoustic stuff too and I appreciate it for what it is, but it's starting to kind of annoy me that they feel the need to throw it on every album. I'm just pouting though. Travels is still my favorite, but Empty Days and Sleepless Nights is a close second.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.