Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92503 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
Probably not "cool" by most standards but I went and saw Roger McGuinn (frontman for The Byrds) recently and it was sick. He had a bunch of really cool stories about Dylan, the Easy Rider soundtrack that The Byrds did, and touring. He still can play and sing great too.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
i saw andrew wk, he headlined a show my buddies band played.

within 30 seconds into the first song everyone was on stage.

i know two (2) andrew wk songs. i felt so out of place but jesus christ what an interesting and good time
good come sausage

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
in other news i bought tickets to see animal collective in february #jkjhnsn
good come sausage

Dengles

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
AnCo puts on one of the best shows ever.  I saw the first show they played at Merry Weather Post Pavilion after they released the album named after it.  That was a magical show, I took a tab of acid and an ecstasy pill, and like ran around the grass area all barefoot just loving on everyone.  Best show of my entire life so you have that to look forwards to. 

mattdun

• Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
Last week was a great week, Seen Mac Demarco who was great as always, even if your not a fan he puts on one of the best shows ever. Gum (Tame Impalas Jay Watson) solo project opened and couldn't have asked for more

Then on the weekend got to see the Flaming lips play a free show, those old trippers sure know how to put on a show. A great mix of old and new favorites and as always the trippiest light show of all time

No1knows

• Rep: -43
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
AnCo puts on one of the best shows ever.  I saw the first show they played at Merry Weather Post Pavilion after they released the album named after it.  That was a magical show, I took a tab of acid and an ecstasy pill, and like ran around the grass area all barefoot just loving on everyone.  Best show of my entire life so you have that to look forwards to. 

Saw Animal Collective too a couple of years ago. That thing you said about doing acid and stuff kinda remind me of my experience at the show.
Not being on it but all thoses hippies touching each others tripping balls kinda ruined the show for me. My friend paid for my ticket and I would not say that was the best show ever. BUT that is a good album, I do agree a lot !
hi.

Dengles

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
AnCo puts on one of the best shows ever.  I saw the first show they played at Merry Weather Post Pavilion after they released the album named after it.  That was a magical show, I took a tab of acid and an ecstasy pill, and like ran around the grass area all barefoot just loving on everyone.  Best show of my entire life so you have that to look forwards to.  
[close]

Saw Animal Collective too a couple of years ago. That thing you said about doing acid and stuff kinda remind me of my experience at the show.
Not being on it but all thoses hippies touching each others tripping balls kinda ruined the show for me. My friend paid for my ticket and I would not say that was the best show ever. BUT that is a good album, I do agree a lot !
AnCo puts on a hell of a show now that I've grown up a bit all the hippy stuff at the show would piss me off/make me uncomfortable.  I saw them again two years ago pretty much sober, I had a very large concert beer but that's about it so I wasn't just there to get fucked up.  I was 17 when I saw them the first time so acid and ecstasy seemed really cool to me, which they don't now. But even then I was a little put off by a lot of the hippy types with the pacifiers and the rave shit.  I've been to EDM shows before and just had the worst time, both because I hate the music and ravers make me uncomfortable, but because it was Animal Collective and I love AnCo I could trip and have a good time.    

No1knows

• Rep: -43
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Good enough Dave-E ! That make a lot of sense to me.  I would pretty much say the same except I think Acid is still ''cool'' lol... when you are at the beach or in a camping trip. Anyways all that is just perception. Just saying.

Probably not "cool" by most standards but I went and saw Roger McGuinn (frontman for The Byrds) recently and it was sick. He had a bunch of really cool stories about Dylan, the Easy Rider soundtrack that The Byrds did, and touring. He still can play and sing great too.

Woah ! Is he touring or was it just a random show that he did just like that ? The byrds deserves so much more. Seems like all theses cool
bands were in Dylan shadow.
hi.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:46 AM »
Maybe not in the same general taste of slap but I saw Dance Gavin Dance in December and it was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen. Just an all around great show and great band. They make weird music but I find there is a little something of every thing for people in there .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Xtal

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AnCo puts on one of the best shows ever.  I saw the first show they played at Merry Weather Post Pavilion after they released the album named after it.  That was a magical show, I took a tab of acid and an ecstasy pill, and like ran around the grass area all barefoot just loving on everyone.  Best show of my entire life so you have that to look forwards to.  
[close]

[close]
AnCo puts on a hell of a show now that I've grown up a bit all the hippy stuff at the show would piss me off/make me uncomfortable.  I saw them again two years ago pretty much sober, I had a very large concert beer but that's about it so I wasn't just there to get fucked up.  I was 17 when I saw them the first time so acid and ecstasy seemed really cool to me, which they don't now. But even then I was a little put off by a lot of the hippy types with the pacifiers and the rave shit.  I've been to EDM shows before and just had the worst time, both because I hate the music and ravers make me uncomfortable, but because it was Animal Collective and I love AnCo I could trip and have a good time.    

I've been listening to Animal Collective from the beginning. Back when their music wasn't "accessible" for the hipster kids and was very primitive and experimental. There isn't another band in the world that I've felt so connected to through lyrics and sound. I can't explain it, really. I've taken a lot of psychedelics in my life, and they were always the best to listen to in that state of mind, even sober. That chapter of my life has been over for a long time, though. I still love them but Centipede Hz fucking sucked, and that new single "Floridada" sounds like this is going to be another shitty pop record from them. I've been disappointed in how hipstery they've become, seems like they're losing their originality. I did see them at Pitchfork Festival before Centipede was released, they played a great mix of old and new. I was pretty much front row on a high dosage of mushrooms and it was all gravy man.

Dengles

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
Their experimental stuff was gold, it is a shame that they've become so different.  They've become super poppy and I've noticed a lot of more "bohemian" Coachella type girls who use the term wanderlust and wear those big floppy hats listening to them.  I also heard Floridada for the first time yesterday and it was really not my cup of tea. 

Xtal

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
I'm right there with you man. If you haven't already, you need to buy their visual album, ODDSAC. It's a life changer, especially if you dose beforehand. I don't want to say anything else and spoil it for you haha.

Dengles

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
During hurricane Sandy several friends and I got stranded in a dorm room and robo-tripped and watched Oddsac.  I miss dosed it was supposed to be six triple C's and then three increments of two until you reached twelve pills, but I was like fuck it and took all twelve at once and they hit me like a freight train.  I vaguely remember parts of the album, someone was playing in the dirt, I think Geologist maybe, and then I remember curling up in the fetal position and closing my eyes and having nothing but these red-ish purple triangles come at me.  But yeah I do need to get a copy/watch Oddsac and not be half dead in a shopping cart while watching it. 

Xtal

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »
Lol, yeah take 'er easy next time and just stick with actual psychedelics, not that nasty synthetic stuff. I had a steady flow of mushroom chocolates around that time so life was pretty damn good  8)

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
this'll be the third time i'm seeing anco so it should be chill

also got tickets to wavves // best coast later this month. anyone in here ever listen to iron chic? sick punk band from long island that plays around a lot. best shows i've ever been to in my life, super high energy.
good come sausage

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
ghost yesterday, and they were sick!

Xtal

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:11 PM »
I'm so disappointed in AnCo. They released another track from the new album to promote an app they came out with on iOS. The track is so fucking terrible, and I really think this new album is going to be even worse than Centipede. I read an interview where Brian says this is their "Ramones album", and the way he describes it is the exact opposite of their unique sound I've known and loved for all these years. They really did peak at ODDSAC and should have stopped making records and kept their legacy.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
Sabbath tonight!
you never know about pre-cum 

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 03:57:53 PM »
I'm so disappointed in AnCo. They released another track from the new album to promote an app they came out with on iOS. The track is so fucking terrible, and I really think this new album is going to be even worse than Centipede. I read an interview where Brian says this is their "Ramones album", and the way he describes it is the exact opposite of their unique sound I've known and loved for all these years. They really did peak at ODDSAC and should have stopped making records and kept their legacy.

Yeah Animal Collective seem to be declining overall, last thing they put out that I really enjoyed was "Fall Be Kind". I was so disappointed in "Centipede", I haven't even heard anything from the new one (partially because I'm not as big a fan anymore, but I also want to go into the album fresh). That Ramones comment kind of has me intrigued though. Sounds like a ridiculous expectation/comparison to make, but they've changed up their sound plenty of times, from album to album.

AC isn't what they used to be, but their crew has put out so much good music over the years, I'll probably always give them the benefit of the doubt. In addition, they recently (six months ago?) put out an enjoyable live album, "Live at 9:30", which I'd recommend checking out if you haven't already.

Panda Bear's solo material has consistently been great too though, for what that's worth. Hoping for some Noah song's on the new album, they're pretty much always the album standouts. I got to see him touring for "Person Pitch", and he played the upstairs of a church in Philly, so we got to just sit and chill in the pews while he played, accompanied by a dope projection (there was a vintage erotic video of people having sex on a roller coaster) presentation. I believe he played the album all the way through, plus a couple other tracks ("Laughed for a World Filled with Fantasy", was one I think). By far my favorite show I've ever attended.

Also, has everyone heard this?
panda bear - marijuana makes my day
It's been around for a bit, but I just found out about it.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
And more relevant to the topic, I saw Atlas Sound open up for Deerhunter a few weeks back.

I really like Atlas Sound, and got kind of drunk during his opening set.
During intermission, I hit the merch table, got Logos on LP, a few more drinks, and by the time of the third Deerhunter song, I was "flagged" by security, and asked to leave. I was drunk, but I def wasn't wasted. I wasn't starting shit or harassing girls, I was just chilling at the bar drinking. I really feel like it was unnecessary. I prefer Atlas Sound, so I wasn't as mad, but that new Deerhunter album "Fading Frontier" is pretty good, so I wouldn't have minded hearing some more of that.

Instead I drunkenly walked 20 minutes back to my place in the cold, while my friends got to see the rest of the set.

I'm seeing Oneohtrix Point Never there in a month, so I'm def gonna keep my drinking in check that night, cause he's one of my favorites and I'm not trying to get flagged again.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
My pops flew out to SF for a few days and we went to see Black Sabbath in San Jose. Honestly one of the best shows ive seen. They're coming to Oakland in September and I gotta see em again.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »
My pops flew out to SF for a few days and we went to see Black Sabbath in San Jose. Honestly one of the best shows ive seen. They're coming to Oakland in September and I gotta see em again.

I was there. The set was incredible, but for a farewell tour it could have been longer. I think they barely played an hour.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I was there. The set was incredible, but for a farewell tour it could have been longer. I think they barely played an hour.
[close]

I had the option to go but passed and now I am kinda regretting it.  I saw them like 10 years ago or so.  Some shitty OzzFest tour and and it was such a phoned in set that I figured this one would be as well but I've heard nothing but good things about every show a friend of mine has gone to.

Yea I saw them on the tour for 13 and they sounded great but were playing a lot from that album. This set was rad, Dirty Women was kind of out of nowhere, but it played like a greatest hits set. Ozzy's never been much of a mover but you can tell he's getting old.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
best coast / wavves on thursday in NYC...anyone else?
good come sausage

N.L.

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
Godspeed You Black Emperor. Saw them a couple of weeks back. Nothing makes me want to skate less than this band but Jesus Christ I love them, even at their most agonisingly indulgent extremes. I am still having a hard time coming down from this show...

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Damn that's awesome, super jealous. They're one of my favorites, and I actually had tickets to see them in Philly a couple months back, but got the nights mixed up and missed the show. Genuinely one of my bigger regrets.

I really like A Silver Mount Zion too, though they seem polarizing within the GYBE! fanbase.
And I enjoyed Efrim's solo album, as well

N.L.

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
ah man, that's a shame you missed them...

new unreleased material sounds as good as, if not better than anything they've ever done. they definitely put more effort into playing their newer tunes.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »
Saw Besta yesterday and it was amazing as always, true madness. It was a free show and the venue was full. The singer was spitting to the air so much that stalactites of spit started to form and dripping in his hair and body. It was metal as fuck. Haha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB_c2w1tx87/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
Probably not a huge hit with those who frequent this forum (aside from those who've posted in the country thread), but I saw this dude play this album in its entirety this week: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnS7uiXlCk0

He sounded awesome, his pedal steel player was insane, and he brought out Robert Earl Keene for a couple songs.

shredstix

• Rep: -5
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
Saw Animal Collective in Philly last weekend. They put on an awesome show but they played a bit too much of their new stuff which Im not that into. They did play Alvin Row for the first time ever though, so that was really tight.