Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92509 times)

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2016, 05:34:53 AM »
Saw Animal Collective in Philly last weekend. They put on an awesome show but they played a bit too much of their new stuff which Im not that into. They did play Alvin Row for the first time ever though, so that was really tight.

yeah i saw them in nyc last week. theyve only been playing their newest tracks when they've played live in past years. last time i saw them they played all of centipede, summertime clothes, did you see the words, and purple bottle (a real treat). i think the only ones they played that weren't on the new album were daily routine, bees, and loch raven. apparently they did a cover too but i had no clue what it was.
good come sausage

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »
DAMN "loch raven" would have been amazing to see live

I'd be mad if I went to see them and they just played a bunch of "centipede" stuff

"Words" and "purple bottle" must have been great tho

I think I've seen mostly mediocre reviews of the new album. It's not the best, but overall I like it, and there's a few standout tracks.
I think it's so dumb they used that "floridada" song as their lead single tho, sounds like some annoying lame Beach Boys shit

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
I have Animal Collective's entire discography and love every single album and song they've put out, up until these last two albums. When I was using psychedelics heavily I was obsessed with them. Even now, being sober for many years they're still one of my favorite bands. I can still listen to their extremely weird noise albums and get into it.

Once I heard Centipede Hz I started getting bummed on their sound...it just didn't sound like AnCo to me. When I read they were coming out with a new album, I was stoked and thought this would maybe be their 'redemption' from Centipede. Boy was I wrong, I could barely make it through Painting With. If it wasn't for their recognizable voices I would think I was listening to a completely different band. Without them actually being creative and getting weird, using tons of unique samples and sounds, their appeal just seems to evaporate into thin air. I kinda feel like it's never going to be good from here on out, and it pains me to say that because they...were...such an amazing band.

nath.

• Rep: 17
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2016, 10:42:56 PM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
Saw Deafheaven about 2h ago.
Myrkur was the opening band, meh show.. Songs are not bad and the Girl can sing (her growls are terrible tho) but all just felt so forced. She seams really shy too.
Deafheaven was perfect. Amazing show, everything played so well... They played all new bermuda songs then sunbather and dream house. George Clarke is a such a great front man, so much passion on his performance. People were having fun stage diving too. Great show/night!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
If anyone is in Philadelphia on June 3rd, Modern English will be playing at Johnny Brenda's with Dark Blue.

I could not be more stoked, as Modern English is fantastic, as Mesh And Lace is a solid album from start to finish. True post-punk.

And Dark Blue always delivers, as they have acquired an exquisite formula to creating superior music, often nodding to Roxy Music, Blitz (Second Empire Justice), and John Cale.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
saw nada surf on monday play an acoustic set which was pretty chill, dude came out and signed records and gave out handshakes once they were done too.
good come sausage

doublesteveburger

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
Saw Leftover Crack a few months back and caught an AJJ/Joyce Manor show a few weeks ago. AJJ always puts on a solid show.

themoustache

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
Tortoise on Tuesday,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBD1jGdGFX4

Elder & Earthless on Wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZvARd0hY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgC-fkXVol4

...Its Sunday and I'm still soaking it all in

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:55 AM »
Saw Deafheaven about 2h ago.
Myrkur was the opening band, meh show.. Songs are not bad and the Girl can sing (her growls are terrible tho) but all just felt so forced. She seams really shy too.
Deafheaven was perfect. Amazing show, everything played so well... They played all new bermuda songs then sunbather and dream house. George Clarke is a such a great front man, so much passion on his performance. People were having fun stage diving too. Great show/night!

I caught Deafheaven at a free show they did in Toronto for some Converse thing a little over a year ago. They played great, but goddamn the crowd was a bummer. Total Pitchfork crowd who were all way too cool to show any sense of enjoyment. People against the stage looked like they were waiting for a bus.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
Going to Jonathan Richman in Minnesota on Friday.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »
Saw Christian Death not to long ago. They fucking sucked.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »
Tortoise on Tuesday,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBD1jGdGFX4
Damn super jealous of Tortoise! But have a good time at all of those

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
  Like a Motorcycle are sick live.     One of them is so hot too.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »
Saw ACxDC and Implore last tuesday... What a blasting show. Moshed like i havent in a while and done a couple stage dives! Pure fun (my neck still hurts tho).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2016, 08:59:55 PM »
Going to Jonathan Richman in Minnesota on Friday.
I was expecting only newer songs, then he played this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63stLm1Rw_U

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:25 AM »
Watery Love
Jowe Head
Counter Intuits

Watery Love was the gem of the night.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:45:03 AM by brycickle »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2016, 06:31:52 AM »
They played great, but goddamn the crowd was a bummer. Total Pitchfork crowd who were all way too cool to show any sense of enjoyment. People against the stage looked like they were waiting for a bus.

i feel like this is how just about every show i go to is like. im such a boring mellow person every day, but when i go to a show i cant hold anything back. you cant go see a rock and roll show and just stand there looking like youre waiting for the bus. thats fucking lame. its the worst when the crowd is so boring that the band gets upset and gives a mediocre performance. some people dont understand that a concert is an interaction between the band and the crowd. show some fucking excitement and appreciation for what these bands do.

anyway, i just saw iggy and josh homme last night and that was incredible. probably the show ive been host hyped about my entire life and they fucking killed it. ive seen the stooges and qotsa and i think this show topped them all. the crowd was mostly older people, so not much rocking out from the crowd, but we delivered on cheers and hand claps. they played pretty much everything off the new album, a few good ones off the idiot and just about everything off lust for life which i wasnt really expecting more than the passenger, success and lust for life. they played sixteen like third song in and i totally lost it. during the encore they played fall in love with me, which i didnt expect at all. everything was amazing and im so happy that i got to see it. and ive never really been a fan of the song nightclubbing, but holy shit did they kill that song. the best ive ever heard it without a doubt. the only thing that was a bummer was that my dad was supposed to go with me, but couldnt because he broke his ankle last week, and that they didnt play any stooges songs. the songs from lust for life definitely made up for it though, and im super stoked that my fiancee got to come with me and see it. she bought me dinner, an album, and a shirt too.

still so stoked on that show. not having a very fun time at work right now though.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2016, 08:57:59 AM »
Saw Leftover Crack a few months back and caught an AJJ/Joyce Manor show a few weeks ago. AJJ always puts on a solid show.

AJJ are one of my faves. Sean Bonnette is playing a solo show here soon that I wanna try and go to.

Saw The Suicide Machines a couple weeks ago play a benefit show for the water crisis in Flint. It was the smallest venue I've ever seen them play.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2016, 12:11:29 PM »
I was in Detroit for work and went and saw Joe Satriani last night. Pretty fucking awesome. Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death next Saturday. I've seen all 3 multiple times and they all kill it live, so when I saw all 3 on the same bill I was fucking stoked. Mutoid Man/Sweet Cobra on Sunday in Chicago.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:21:56 PM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
Brainbombs are coming to California the US......
If you live there, go...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-psychic-tv-destruction-unit-berserktown-festival-20160406-story.html

And the Kids! I gotta try to make it out there for this.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
I was in Detroit for work and went and saw Joe Satriani last night. Pretty fucking awesome. Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death next Saturday. I've seen all 3 multiple times and they all kill it live, so when I saw all 3 on the same bill I was fucking stoked. Mutoid Man/Sweet Cobra on Sunday in Chicago.

Damn dude! That MB/M/ND gig mist be insane! Stoked for you. Mutoid Man is dope also! Some of my favourite musicians playing cool tunes...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn dude! That MB/M/ND gig mist be insane! Stoked for you. Mutoid Man is dope also! Some of my favourite musicians playing cool tunes...
Like I said, none of them ever disappoint. To be honest I've never seen Mutoid Man. I've known all 3 of them personally for years and love the records, so figure that one out.

Also, apparently Converge is playing "Jane Doe" in its entirety at Roadburn tomorrow. I was debating taking out some of my savings to fly to the Netherlands to go, but ultimately (and probably wisely) decided against it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Like I said, none of them ever disappoint. To be honest I've never seen Mutoid Man. I've known all 3 of them personally for years and love the records, so figure that one out.

Also, apparently Converge is playing "Jane Doe" in its entirety at Roadburn tomorrow. I was debating taking out some of my savings to fly to the Netherlands to go, but ultimately (and probably wisely) decided against it.

Yeah, i know a dude that went to that show... Motherfucker! Converge is in my top 5 bands and that's a one life oportunity!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

doublesteveburger

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, i know a dude that went to that show... Motherfucker! Converge is in my top 5 bands and that's a one life oportunity!

Holy shit, that show must have been fucking incredible. Jane Doe is an emotional rollercoaster.

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Holy shit, that show must have been fucking incredible. Jane Doe is an emotional rollercoaster.
I've seen them upwards of 50 times and I've never seen them play "Jane Doe" and I don't think they've ever played "Phoenix in Flight." Those are my 2 favorite songs on the record, so I envy those who got to witness them played live (though judging by the crowds they draw nowadays,  I doubt most will care about "Phoenix in Flight").

doublesteveburger

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I've seen them upwards of 50 times and I've never seen them play "Jane Doe" and I don't think they've ever played "Phoenix in Flight." Those are my 2 favorite songs on the record, so I envy those who got to witness them played live (though judging by the crowds they draw nowadays,  I doubt most will care about "Phoenix in Flight").

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I saw a live 2016 recording on youtube of them playing Jane Doe as an encore. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live but I can see what you're saying about doubting most will care about those particular songs.

That still shouldn't take away from how heavy AWLWLB was. Still one of my favorite recent records to date.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I've seen them upwards of 50 times and I've never seen them play "Jane Doe" and I don't think they've ever played "Phoenix in Flight." Those are my 2 favorite songs on the record, so I envy those who got to witness them played live (though judging by the crowds they draw nowadays,�  I doubt most will care about "Phoenix in Flight").
[close]

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I saw a live 2016 recording on youtube of them playing Jane Doe as an encore. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live but I can see what you're saying about doubting most will care about those particular songs.

That still shouldn't take away from how heavy AWLWLB was. Still one of my favorite recent records to date.

I saw them 2 times, the last one was last year and they played Jane Doe as an encore like doublesteve said. I was amazing, but in the first time i saw them they played Grim Heart/Black Rose and that one takes the cake for me. That song just give me shivers up my spine like no other.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP