Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92555 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I was in Detroit for work and went and saw Joe Satriani last night. Pretty fucking awesome. Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death next Saturday. I've seen all 3 multiple times and they all kill it live, so when I saw all 3 on the same bill I was fucking stoked. Mutoid Man/Sweet Cobra on Sunday in Chicago.
[close]

Damn dude! That MB/M/ND
:o

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was in Detroit for work and went and saw Joe Satriani last night. Pretty fucking awesome. Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death next Saturday. I've seen all 3 multiple times and they all kill it live, so when I saw all 3 on the same bill I was fucking stoked. Mutoid Man/Sweet Cobra on Sunday in Chicago.
[close]

Damn dude! That MB/M/ND gig mist be insane! Stoked for you. Mutoid Man is dope also! Some of my favourite musicians playing cool tunes...
[close]
Like I said, none of them ever disappoint. To be honest I've never seen Mutoid Man. I've known all 3 of them personally for years and love the records, so figure that one out.

Also, apparently Converge is playing "Jane Doe" in its entirety at Roadburn tomorrow. I was debating taking out some of my savings to fly to the Netherlands to go, but ultimately (and probably wisely) decided against it.
[close]

Yeah, i know a dude that went to that show... Motherfucker! Converge is in my top 5 bands and that's a one life oportunity!
[close]

Holy shit, that show must have been fucking incredible. Jane Doe is an emotional rollercoaster.
[close]
I've seen them upwards of 50 times and I've never seen them play "Jane Doe" and I don't think they've ever played "Phoenix in Flight." Those are my 2 favorite songs on the record, so I envy those who got to witness them played live (though judging by the crowds they draw nowadays,�  I doubt most will care about "Phoenix in Flight").
[close]

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I saw a live 2016 recording on youtube of them playing Jane Doe as an encore. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live but I can see what you're saying about doubting most will care about those particular songs.

That still shouldn't take away from how heavy AWLWLB was. Still one of my favorite recent records to date.
[close]

I saw them 2 times, the last one was last year and they played Jane Doe as an encore like doublesteve said. I was amazing, but in the first time i saw them they played Grim Heart/Black Rose and that one takes the cake for me. That song just give me shivers up my spine like no other.

Well, I just got back from Roadburn and the two Converge sets were fucking epic. On Saturday they played a set comprised of slower songs with Chelsea Wolfe on vocals (Wretched World was my favorite).

Also saw Diamanda Galas, Amen Ra, Hell, Pentagram, Hemelbestormer (shout out to Distant Rumor!), Alkerdeel, Oranssi Pazuzu and a ton of other great bands.

It was my first time going there and I loved every second of it. The festival pass was not cheap by any means, but well worth every cent. Highly recommended.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn dude! That MB/M/ND gig mist be insane! Stoked for you. Mutoid Man is dope also! Some of my favourite musicians playing cool tunes...
[close]
Like I said, none of them ever disappoint. To be honest I've never seen Mutoid Man. I've known all 3 of them personally for years and love the records, so figure that one out.

Also, apparently Converge is playing "Jane Doe" in its entirety at Roadburn tomorrow. I was debating taking out some of my savings to fly to the Netherlands to go, but ultimately (and probably wisely) decided against it.
[close]

Yeah, i know a dude that went to that show... Motherfucker! Converge is in my top 5 bands and that's a one life oportunity!
[close]

Holy shit, that show must have been fucking incredible. Jane Doe is an emotional rollercoaster.
[close]
I've seen them upwards of 50 times and I've never seen them play "Jane Doe" and I don't think they've ever played "Phoenix in Flight." Those are my 2 favorite songs on the record, so I envy those who got to witness them played live (though judging by the crowds they draw nowadays,�  I doubt most will care about "Phoenix in Flight").
[close]

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I saw a live 2016 recording on youtube of them playing Jane Doe as an encore. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live but I can see what you're saying about doubting most will care about those particular songs.

That still shouldn't take away from how heavy AWLWLB was. Still one of my favorite recent records to date.
I think there are a handful of songs from that record that kids will always be into (Fault & Fracture, The Broken Vow), I can see how Jane Doe could become one of them. Not to sound elitist, I've definitely noticed how the crowds have changed, and it's not even a matter of people liking some records and disliking others, sometimes it seems like people had never heard the records before, they just go to blow off some steam. That's always existed but it seems like it's gotten worse over the past few years. I've even seen that kind of shit at super DIY basement/warehouse shows; people just go to get fucked up and act like asshole. Either way, next time they're within 3 states I'll go see them.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I saw them 2 times, the last one was last year and they played Jane Doe as an encore like doublesteve said. I was amazing, but in the first time i saw them they played Grim Heart/Black Rose and that one takes the cake for me. That song just give me shivers up my spine like no other.
[close]

Well, I just got back from Roadburn and the two Converge sets were fucking epic. On Saturday they played a set comprised of slower songs with Chelsea Wolfe on vocals (Wretched World was my favorite).

Also saw Diamanda Galas, Amen Ra, Hell, Pentagram, Hemelbestormer (shout out to Distant Rumor!), Alkerdeel, Oranssi Pazuzu and a ton of other great bands.

It was my first time going there and I loved every second of it. The festival pass was not cheap by any means, but well worth every cent. Highly recommended.

This is insane. Was she on vocals for the entire set?

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No, she came on stage for the second part of the set, starting with Cruel Bloom (together with Steve von Till).

Here's the setlist.

Plagues
In Her Blood
Grim Heart/Black Rose
Coral Blue
Minnesota
Disintegration (The Cure cover)
Cruel Bloom (with Steve von Till)
Wretched World (with Chelsea Wolfe)
In Her Shadow (with Chelsea Wolfe)
Last Light (with Chelsea Wolfe)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »
That's so sick. Converge are still killing it after all this time.

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

No, she came on stage for the second part of the set, starting with Cruel Bloom (together with Steve von Till).

Here's the setlist.

Plagues
In Her Blood
Grim Heart/Black Rose
Coral Blue
Minnesota
Disintegration (The Cure cover)
Cruel Bloom (with Steve von Till)
Wretched World (with Chelsea Wolfe)
In Her Shadow (with Chelsea Wolfe)
Last Light (with Chelsea Wolfe)

Damn.

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
So that Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death show was last night. The venue that it was at notoriously sounds like shit, which was definately proven with Melt Banana and Melvins sets (due to their use of electronics/effects) but they both fucking ruled regardless. While watching MB I realized I had never seen them open a show, so it was a lot shorter than usual which was a slight bummer. The Melvins always kill it. I'd only seen Napalm once prior, and they were definitely the highlight  of the night, easilly. I got my old man mosh on during "Mentally Murdered," Suffer the Children," "Lucid Fairytale," and "Adversarial. They also played "Conform" by SEIGE, which was a fucking treat. Apparently Buckethead's here tonight too.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
So that Melt Banana/Melvins/Napalm Death show was last night. The venue that it was at notoriously sounds like shit, which was definately proven with Melt Banana and Melvins sets (due to their use of electronics/effects) but they both fucking ruled regardless. While watching MB I realized I had never seen them open a show, so it was a lot shorter than usual which was a slight bummer. The Melvins always kill it. I'd only seen Napalm once prior, and they were definitely the highlight  of the night, easilly. I got my old man mosh on during "Mentally Murdered," Suffer the Children," "Lucid Fairytale," and "Adversarial. They also played "Conform" by SEIGE, which was a fucking treat. Apparently Buckethead's here tonight too.

I think I would lose my mind. Glad you enjoyed yourself anyway.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
I'll be seeing them on Monday. Definitely looking forward to it. That Ghost show was fucking amazing. I never thought that I could be entertained by one band for 2 hours straight. They proved me wrong.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2016, 07:06:02 AM »
Saw The Body and Full Of Hell last tuesday on the local venue. It was a really sick show. I've seen FoH 2 times in less than a year and this one was even better (and longer). Tickets were a little pricey for what people are used to here so there werent too many kids and people barrely moved, which was a little odd since FoH pumps so much energy into their performance. The Body was like listening to a horror movie soundtrack, really hauting and despair inducing. Sickass performances!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BErtXexNx9k/?taken-by=in.her.room

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2016, 01:02:42 AM »
Saw The Body and Full Of Hell last tuesday on the local venue. It was a really sick show. I've seen FoH 2 times in less than a year and this one was even better (and longer). Tickets were a little pricey for what people are used to here so there werent too many kids and people barrely moved, which was a little odd since FoH pumps so much energy into their performance. The Body was like listening to a horror movie soundtrack, really hauting and despair inducing. Sickass performances!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BErtXexNx9k/?taken-by=in.her.room

Went to the same gig in Switzerland. Really enjoyed both bands, The Body crushes it!

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2016, 12:51:09 AM »
Just saw Sunn... I got drunk and it was boring. I'm glad I wore ear plugs.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2016, 05:38:52 AM »

I saw Stephen O'Malley last year at amplifest and thought it was so fucking borring. Almost 1h of guitar buzz. Only cool shit was seeing all those giant amps and shit, that was cool.  It really isnt my type of thing...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2016, 08:41:06 AM »
Saw Bob Mould in Chicago last Friday, and it was easily among the greatest things I have ever seen. I mean that in the most literal sense. Observe:
Bob Mould In A Free Land at Metro May 6, 2016
This is the third time I've seen him, and though the other times were great, this fucking blew them away. He played like 10 Husker D� songs too, with "Celebrated Summer," "Something I Learned Today," "Hardly Getting Over It," "I Apologize," among them.

Also Sunn 0))) sucks ass and everyone who says they enjoy them is lying.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I saw Stephen O'Malley last year at amplifest and thought it was so fucking borring. Almost 1h of guitar buzz. Only cool shit was seeing all those giant amps and shit, that was cool.  It really isnt my type of thing...

The place was filled with so much smoke that they could have just put mannequins up there in robes and played a CD of Kannon, nobody would have known different.
you never know about pre-cum 

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Iron Maiden!

Cancer hasn't slowed Bruce Dickinson down a beat, he was awesome.

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
i saw boris last week, best show ive ever been to. wata is so cute !!

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »

Lucky! Seems like every time they play a show I can't make it for one reason or the other.

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lucky! Seems like every time they play a show I can't make it for one reason or the other.

not sure where youre from, but i just found out earlier today that they're doing another us tour this summer and playing pink in its entirety. super hyped for that

doublesteveburger

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
For all you (probably like 2 or 3 of you) sad depressed pop-punk enthusiasts,

I saw Jeff Rosenstock last night. 4th time seeing him, 5th if you include Bomb The Music Industry!, he puts on such a high-energy show. Fucking loved it. Also seeing Modern Baseball with Joyce Manor next week and I'm excited.

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2016, 07:25:37 PM »

I saw Jeff Rosenstock last night. 4th time seeing him, 5th if you include Bomb The Music Industry!, he puts on such a high-energy show. Fucking loved it. Also seeing Modern Baseball with Joyce Manor next week and I'm excited.
Been getting into them recently. Got the offer to see them perform (actually at the same place I was talking about when I started this thread) but I had something going on.
Shit could be worse

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
I went to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre about 2 weeks ago. They played for 3 hours straight. It was a really good show, but they didn't play a lot of the classics/fan favorites that I thought they would. I was still very pleased with the set list though. A lot of the new songs sound like the Their Satanic Majesties Second Request/Take It From The Man era of the band. Very cool.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2016, 05:06:19 AM »
I think Modern Baseball are coming to my town where no one comes to anymore, so I'm probably going to see them. What should I expect, having never heard them before?

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »

Oh man I love Jeff Rosenstock, BTMI and ASOB were a big part of high school for me. Never got a chance to see them though, and he hardly comes to Canada so as of yet I have no live experiences with Jeff.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

doublesteveburger

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
I think Modern Baseball are coming to my town where no one comes to anymore, so I'm probably going to see them. What should I expect, having never heard them before?

I've never seen them live before so I'm not entirely sure what their shows are like, this will be my first time. I've heard nothing but good things about their performances, though, so expect to have some fun. I'd give their albums 'Sports' and 'You're gonna miss it all' a listen or two before heading out. Great lyrics. Real catchy.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »
Seen Ty Segall not that long ago. Awesome show.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh man I love Jeff Rosenstock, BTMI and ASOB were a big part of high school for me. Never got a chance to see them though, and he hardly comes to Canada so as of yet I have no live experiences with Jeff.

I got to see BTMI on the leg of their last ever tour. I was fresh out of knee-surgery (like three weeks fresh) so I didn't get to really go nuts at the show but it was fucking amazing. Jeff immediately started touring solo after the split and I've seen him every time he stops in Arizona. He puts on such a chaotic/fun show experience. Super funny interaction between him and the crowd too. He covered a fucking Lenny Kravitz song as an encore this last time I saw him, hahaha.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
last 3 bands i saw live were blonde redhead, tortoise, & explosions in the sky.

eits were sick as usual, the fox theatre in Oakland was a nice venue for them. their lights were really good, beside the music. something new from seeing them in smaller venues where that's kinda harder.

blonde redhead's live shows are tooo good. like their music is already haunting in a good way, live is like x10 more. the couple in front of me couldn't stop making out. also, my friend told me she got in free bc she once gave one of the guys in BR a foot job.

it was my first time seeing tortoise & i couldn't have been more impressed. I've been listening to them since i first watched photosynthesis, and am wondering why it took me this long. they played 2 encores. it was at the great American music hall, and for their second encore, I got up to the balcony to check the whole stage. some dude in front was rocking out all its crazy like, definitely feeling  himself.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3