Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92501 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
I saw Judge the other night in LA. I never got super into them growing up but they put on a pretty good show.
Really enjoyed Eternal Sleep, though I admit I am prejudiced.

I never really heard Judge, but Eternal Sleep is goddamn amazing! Theor last release, "The Emptiness Of​.​.​.", is one of the most underrated albums of this year. Textbook Heavy Hardcore!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2016, 06:57:48 AM »
Thee Oh Sees. Excellent show. Super energetic. I was so stoked on the show that I even bought a poster, even though I never buy merch...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2016, 01:42:49 AM »
Just saw mark kozelek ramble for 3 hours over Jesu riffs. It got kind of awkward toward the end.
you never know about pre-cum 

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
Thee Oh Sees. Excellent show. Super energetic. I was so stoked on the show that I even bought a poster, even though I never buy merch...

The Cleveland show was amazing too. I'm going to be sore for a while from slamming all over the place. I keep telling myself that I'm getting too old to be going nuts like I do at shows, but the second the music starts I have be in the pit.

I wish I would've taken at least one video or a photo, but I was having way to much fun to take my phone out.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Just saw mark kozelek ramble for 3 hours over Jesu riffs. It got kind of awkward toward the end.

were you at the LA show? I was there too. I have seen sun kil before and it was waaaaay better - I am a huge fan of any justin broadrick project so when i found out that him and mark were collaborating i was stoked. wasn't into the album much but didn't have high expectations because its a weird mix of styles. Still was cool to see justin and mark on stage together but wish it was jesu opening up for sun kil or vice versa. would be the ultimate show

doublesteveburger

« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:48 AM »
Saw Choking Victim about a week ago. Original line-up. So much energy. Crowd was going nuts, witnessed three people get bodied stage-diving, two knocked out.

Jordick

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »
Saw Choking Victim about a week ago. Original line-up. So much energy. Crowd was going nuts, witnessed three people get bodied stage-diving, two knocked out.
consider me jealous. No Gods, No Managers is one of the best.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah wow i missed out on those. they played two blocks from my apartment at the end of last month i totally missed that.

saturday saw iron chic, laura stevenson, worriers, nude beach, shellshag, outskirts, and big eyes all on one bill. crazy good.
good come sausage

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got clowned on pretty hard for enjoying that record when it first came out (upitty crusties can be dicks, even to 15 year olds). Haven't listened to it in a few years, but the last time I did, it held up pretty well for me. Leftover Crack however always has been and will forever be complete fucking garbage (so forced and corny). I went to see some friends open for them in some basement in like 2002 and Stza got super fucked up, said he was refusing to play (didn't say why) and sat on his macbook outside until the person who owned the house/the rest of the band guilt tripped him into playing. He performed really shitty on purpose and some kid punched him in the face, after which he went back out the van. Just dropped the mic and walked out, no confrontation on his part or anything. More entertaining than any of their records.
Ara is the shit though. Super sweet guy.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

were you at the LA show? I was there too. I have seen sun kil before and it was waaaaay better - I am a huge fan of any justin broadrick project so when i found out that him and mark were collaborating i was stoked. wasn't into the album much but didn't have high expectations because its a weird mix of styles. Still was cool to see justin and mark on stage together but wish it was jesu opening up for sun kil or vice versa. would be the ultimate show
I was at the SF show. See, I like the album, it's weird but it works. A lot of people were confused and thought it was one opening for the other though. The show was too long and Mark's an egomaniac and an asshole. He mentioned several times how many homes he owns... It was great for the first 2 hours, then he played some new solo song of his about a Muhammad Ali poem "me we" and it was bad, it totally lost the crowd. By the end there were probably 50 people in the place, you could hear the bartenders working.

Godflesh is going on tour next year though, that should be great.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
Damn Nallid, that sucks. I would pay a big amount of money to see a Jesu gig in solo. Silver and Conqueror are one of my favourite releases of all time. I like Godflesh too but Jesu just goes the extra mile for me, so fuckin' emotional. Broadrick is a genious.

Today I saw Brujeria for the second time this year, this time with Shane Embury on stage (like it should always be). It was fun as fuck, and the opening bands, 2 portuguese death metal acts were crazy good too. Great night.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2016, 05:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I was at the SF show. See, I like the album, it's weird but it works. A lot of people were confused and thought it was one opening for the other though. The show was too long and Mark's an egomaniac and an asshole. He mentioned several times how many homes he owns... It was great for the first 2 hours, then he played some new solo song of his about a Muhammad Ali poem "me we" and it was bad, it totally lost the crowd. By the end there were probably 50 people in the place, you could hear the bartenders working.

Godflesh is going on tour next year though, that should be great.

Damn I would kill to see Godflesh. Just play Streetcleaner in its entirety
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
My brother got me tickets to see Snoop Dogg, Bone Thugs, Tha Dogg Pound and Warren G for "Christmas" (we were both obsessed with all of these artists as kids, so he really just wanted a justification to buy tickets and I'm fine with that) and the show was last night, and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised (when a bill is stacked w/ groups like that, I get cynical). Snoop's set was "meh" in points, and fucking awesome in others (that's just him I realize), Tha Dogg Pound's set was too short and DJ Quik was replaced with Twista (had to have been last minute) which was a definite bummer. Overall though, the show was sick.

Some specific highlights:
Kurupt being visually drunk and grinding on random chicks on stage (who were probably there because the won tickets from a radio station or something) standing with their boyfriends.
Warren G coming out in, and there is no other description for these, straight up dad clothes (like Eddie Bauer had a sale) with a big ass blunt in his hand. For some reason I thought/think that shit was badass. Then he did a Nate Dogg tribute medley, capping shit off with "Regulate" (of course).
Twista came out with a setlist and set it up by his monitor up front. A FUCKING SETLIST! I can't recall another Hip-Hop show where a group/artist had a visible setlist. Once again, for some reason, I though was badass.
Bone Thugs doing "Fo tha Love of $", "Notorious Thugs" and "Thug Luv" WELL all without very important guest artists. I was pretty shocked by "Notorious Thugs," I must say.
"Ain't No Fun If the Homies Can't Get None"

I will also point out, that DJs need to stop the fucking airhorn. For the love of god, stop! It sounds fucking stupid and they do it constantly. They did it during "Tha Crossroads"!

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:56 AM »
Saw Sleep in Seattle (haha) a couple weeks ago. It was loud as fuck and pretty goddamn awesome.

got tickets to see them in Minneapolis in April.  Stoked.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
Saw The Body and Alcest about a week ago. So fucking good. The Body's set was just as terrifying as their music.

« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »
Saw The Body and Alcest about a week ago. So fucking good. The Body's set was just as terrifying as their music.
I saw the Body/Full of Hell last year having heard neither of them and it was great. I knew they were friends w/ the Thou guys and a bunch of other friends of mine, but just never got around to it. It's a shame, I've been really digging their records.

I just got tickets to go see the Descendents in April. Stoked.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:02:29 AM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Caught Japandroids in Toronto this past Friday. Killer show, I unfortunately missed the opener (Craig Finn of The Hold Steady) but Japandroids were awesome, those two guys can make a lot of fucking noise. They closed the show playing "Stranded" by The Saints (Ragdoll skates to it in one of the Black Label videos) with Craig Finn on vocals, a perfect way to end the show.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

yungapplejuice

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »
going out to see buddy guy play hendrix @ the wiltern tonight

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Saw Vince Staples at the Fox theatre in Oakland last Sunday rad show with lots of energy

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Saw Teenage fanclub last week, great show, haven't seen them in over 20 years.
Will go and see Napalm death and brujeira in a few weeks, hopefully it will be great as well

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »
Saw Lucero on Thursday. They were super good. Next up is Dinosaur Jr.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
Saw Teenage fanclub last week, great show, haven't seen them in over 20 years.
Will go and see Napalm death and brujeira in a few weeks, hopefully it will be great as well

I have yet to see Napalm live. They played a few years ago close by my hometown but I couldnt go :/

I went to my first show in germany this weekend. I saw Brutality Will Prevail, Cruel Hand and No Turning Back in Nuremberg.
Sincerely I was pretty disapointed with the "scene". The crowd was dead as fuck, just 2 or 3 random kids doing karate moves on the huge hole in front of the stage, nobody else really moving. When NTB started the things got better but I was never a huge fan of them so bahhh, bummed. A line-up like this in Portugal would have been a diferent history.   

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
Saw Dinosaur Jr. last night. I was on the younger side but the crowd was still really cool and getting into it. They are one of my favorites so every show I see is great. This one was sweet because they happened to play almost all of my favorites too, and ended it with Just Like Heaven by the Cure.
10/10 would recommend
(Cool Trick GIF)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
^^^I'm going tonight.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
^^^I'm going tonight.

Hell yeah, have fun
(Cool Trick GIF)

ungzilla

« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
Last night, saw Tortoise, and it was fucking sick.

How tight they perform their stuff live is unreal, I don't think I've ever witnessed a band that has their shit together that much before. All the more insane considering they all pretty much played all the instruments over the course of the show, and played all of it perfecto (except for one song they restarted due to monitor issues)

doublesteveburger

« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Seeing Thursday with Touché Amore in April. My mascara is already bleeding I'm so excited.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:53 AM »
DRAB MAJESTY and they were amazing

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
This one was sweet because they happened to play almost all of my favorites too, and ended it with Just Like Heaven by the Cure.
10/10 would recommend
damn! that would've given me some warm fuzzies fo'sho

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

themoustache

• Rep: 26
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
Saw Mogwai play Atomic a few weeks back...walking in after a couple of joints was unreal.  They had the documentary playing on a screen behind their live performance.  Mind bending.  Also caught George Clinton // Parliment // Funkadelic earlier this month.

Seeing Steven Merritt from the Magnetic Fields on back to back nights next month, then the Black Angels in May.