Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92524 times)

yatallfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
the other day I finally got to cross dinosaur jr off the bands to see list!

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
probably unpopular opinion BUT

sebadoh>dino jr

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Saw Yelawolf a few months back, was a pretty damn good show

Going to see Foxygen in a few weeks.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
probably unpopular opinion BUT

sebadoh>dino jr
Old post, but I agree.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
last week saw josh ritter, surfer blood, and sunflower bean. this week i might see surf curse. then iron chic and white reaper in may. and probably a bunch of other shows in between.
good come sausage

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Not one I've seen yet, but in a couple months Jeff Rosenstock is coming to Call The Office here in London, ON and I could not be more excited. One of my absolute favorite musicians, so I am beyond stoked. It'll be the first time I force someone to take a photo with me.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
i took my fiancee to see the XX a few days ago. she enjoyed it. i've felt more excitement over shows ive seen on youtube.  :(
gotta take one for the team sometimes. i drag her to all my shitty shows because all my friends are lame as fuck.

themoustache

• Rep: 26
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Black Angels, last night in Boston.  Ear drums are still a bit fried, and pretty sure I'm sweating out THC.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
I finally went to see Einstuerzende Neubauten a week ago, was even better than expected.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »
sleep at first avenue in Minneapolis a few weeks ago.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
Not one I've seen yet, but in a couple months Jeff Rosenstock is coming to Call The Office here in London, ON and I could not be more excited. One of my absolute favorite musicians, so I am beyond stoked. It'll be the first time I force someone to take a photo with me.

Holy shit, I love seeing Jeff get love on SLAP. I've seen him play numerous times (will be doing so again in July), even with BTMI!, you're in for an energetic/fun show!

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
Seeing the murder city devil's tonight. We're watching this fuckboi from Seattle warm up right now. I don't know if I've ever felt bad for an opening act before today. I might buy the poor kid a drink just for his courage. Picture Ian Curtis trying to sing over vaporwavey drakeish beats.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2017, 06:36:26 PM »
Ian Curtis wearing a supreme hat. Forgot to clear that up the first time.

« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »
Seeing the murder city devil's tonight. We're watching this fuckboi from Seattle warm up right now. I don't know if I've ever felt bad for an opening act before today. I might buy the poor kid a drink just for his courage. Picture Ian Curtis trying to sing over vaporwavey drakeish beats.
Saw them Monday. They still fuckin got it, I saw them when I was in high school and it was legitimately one of the best shows I've ever seen.  So sick.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
Going to see Foxygen tomorrow night, pretty stoked, never seen them live.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jIdvGPDj4

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Saw them Monday. They still fuckin got it, I saw them when I was in high school and it was legitimately one of the best shows I've ever seen.  So sick.

They were great. Really put their hearts and souls into the show and I really appreciated it. Our crowd though, my god you wouldve thought they were dead. I don't know if it was because everyone was a bit older (I'm 29 and felt like the youngest one there) or if everyone is just lame, but there was no pit, maybe about 10-15 people clapping after the songs, just no crowd interaction whatsoever. I just don't understand how people can pay money to see a band play and just stand there looking indifferent. Have some fun and make some damn noise for the band. Make them feel like you care. After their last song they just got off the stage and didn't say "thank you" or anything and I don't blame them. The crowd sucked. I went up to all the guys I could find afterward and shook their hands and thanked them for coming just because I really feel like bands should feel appreciated and I seriously felt bad for them.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
Bryan Ferry

Now that David Bowie is gone (R.I.P.), possibly the coolest old man on the planet.

« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They were great. Really put their hearts and souls into the show and I really appreciated it. Our crowd though, my god you wouldve thought they were dead. I don't know if it was because everyone was a bit older (I'm 29 and felt like the youngest one there) or if everyone is just lame, but there was no pit, maybe about 10-15 people clapping after the songs, just no crowd interaction whatsoever. I just don't understand how people can pay money to see a band play and just stand there looking indifferent. Have some fun and make some damn noise for the band. Make them feel like you care. After their last song they just got off the stage and didn't say "thank you" or anything and I don't blame them. The crowd sucked. I went up to all the guys I could find afterward and shook their hands and thanked them for coming just because I really feel like bands should feel appreciated and I seriously felt bad for them.
The crowds have changed, mate. The older fans are generally too old (i.e. me) to go nuts (I do my thing when necessary) and the younger fans were raised with shit bands who put on boring shows and despite their tastes changing, the damage was done and they're often satisfied to just stand with their arms crossed. Not trying to seem superior or any of that shit, every once in a while a crowd brings it, but it's just a different world. The best is seeing people getting yelled at for moshing at Hardcore shows. If you don't like it, go back to the mall.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
The crowds have changed, mate. The older fans are generally too old (i.e. me) to go nuts (I do my thing when necessary) and the younger fans were raised with shit bands who put on boring shows and despite their tastes changing, the damage was done and they're often satisfied to just stand with their arms crossed. Not trying to seem superior or any of that shit, every once in a while a crowd brings it, but it's just a different world. The best is seeing people getting yelled at for moshing at Hardcore shows. If you don't like it, go back to the mall.

i get that the older you get, the more you have to hold back. my neck will probably be sore for the next few days. the past few shows that i got really crazy at made me hurt for a few days after, but i cant help myself. im the most boring, quiet, no emotion showing person you'll ever meet, but put a decent band in front of me and that all changes. its like theres a spirit of rock and roll that comes and lets you just let loose and go crazy and i just dont know how some people can ignore it. thats why i go to shows.

Bryan Ferry

Now that David Bowie is gone (R.I.P.), possibly the coolest old man on the planet.

you and my dad would be good buddies. how many times did he change his fit during the performance?

buns out

• Rep: 3
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
Saw Opeth and then the Red Hot Chili Peppers last month. Going to see Hall and Oates in 2 weeks.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
Haven't been yet, obviously, but this is going to be pretty great.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Priests play.

Saw a bunch of bands while I was visiting back home, the best one being Sievehead from Sheffield, the worst one being Pile from Boston.

@JB: I don't know about the younger crowd, but I definitely can't hold my own in the pit anymore, and I'm fine with that. It's the same like skating, you just mellow out with age...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
saw white reaper on tuesday. they were stellar.
good come sausage

maxwellkeeper

• Rep: 2
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
Saw DIIV. Stood next to johan stuckey the whole time & they even played the song from his cosmic vomit part.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
About to go see Jack Johnson in a month.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2017, 02:28:14 AM »
I saw Evan Dando last Thursday. He could barely speak coherently between songs he was that high, but it didn't fuck with his guitar playing or singing and made for a pretty great set. Dando is tops.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:36 AM »
I saw Deftones like a month ago and now I'm going to see Touche Amore with Swain the next wednesday.

Deftones was good but could be better if they played less songs from the last album (or at least the good songs. Prayers/triangles has to be one of the worst songs they ever made). Still one of my top favourite bands of all time.

Touche Amore gonna be sick, love their stuff, but I'm kinda bummed that is Swain opening. Not that I dont like Swain, is that the show in Porto is with Code Orange that I love and I already saw Swain like 3 times. Gonna be sick regardless

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

N.L.

« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
About to go see Jack Johnson in a month.

I hope for your sake this shows gets cancelled.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
I wasn't at this, but just found it on youtube and it might be the most ridiculous performance I've seen from them. I saw them with one drummer and they were loud as fuck. Three is just insane. and theyre all at the very front of the stage too.

Oh Sees (formerly Thee Oh Sees). "Contraption/Soul Desert" with 3 drummers. Manchester. June 2017.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
I just got tickets for Thou and Cloud Rat on my birthday. Going to be a heavy 35th.
you never know about pre-cum