Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92513 times)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
I just got tickets for Thou and Cloud Rat on my birthday. Going to be a heavy 35th.

Seeing them in Des moines in a week and a half.  Saw them a year and a half ago in Minneapolis and they were great.

slappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »
I took my little sister to her first punk show this past Friday. Trigger Happy and A Wilhelm Scream opened for Good Riddance. Openers were awesome, ended up only sticking around for a handful of Good Riddance though. My girlfriend and my sister kept talking hamburgers and I took the hint and we left to get some burgers.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I just got tickets for Thou and Cloud Rat on my birthday. Going to be a heavy 35th.
[close]

Seeing them in Des moines in a week and a half.  Saw them a year and a half ago in Minneapolis and they were great.
Some friends of mine told one of Thou's guitar players (Matt I believe) that I had just gotten out of prison for beating someone with a tire iron and use door money to fund a heroin ring (NOTE: I booked the show) because my friends are stupid and thought it was funny for some reason. They got bummed when I told them they were getting fucked with. Every time I've seen them since its been awkward.

Cloud Rat are homies and are they ever not touring? Kind of curious about those Des Moines shows. Never seen a show there and I'm curious about their scene, Iowa City and Quad Cities used to have some dope shit going on.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2017, 11:29:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Some friends of mine told one of Thou's guitar players (Matt I believe) that I had just gotten out of prison for beating someone with a tire iron and use door money to fund a heroin ring (NOTE: I booked the show) because my friends are stupid and thought it was funny for some reason. They got bummed when I told them they were getting fucked with. Every time I've seen them since its been awkward.

Cloud Rat are homies and are they ever not touring? Kind of curious about those Des Moines shows. Never seen a show there and I'm curious about their scene, Iowa City and Quad Cities used to have some dope shit going on.

This will be the first concert I've ever been to in Des Moines, or I think even Iowa for that matter.  I'm from South Dakota and usually drive to Twin Cities or Omaha for concerts.  I think they get a decent amount of good bands coming through in that area.  I haven't really listened to cloud rat much but I will definitely get familiar with some of their material beforehand.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
Saw Eagles of Death Metal last night and that was a blast. Great crowd this time, not too crazy, but everyone was dancing and having fun and actually cheering and making noise for the band, which is what needs to happen. Boots is such a great performer and really gets everyone into it which made the show super fun. For their encore, he came out and played midnight creeper by himself then the band came out and did a cover of Moonage Daydream. Thats not even in my top 5 Bowie songs, but I almost teared up a little when they first went into it. Dave switched out his flying V for an all black Les Paul on that song and just tore it to shreds at the end. The only way the could've played the song any better would've been if Bowie himself resurrected and came on stage. From there they played some heavy hitters off the first two albums and the crowd started getting rowdy. I ruined my shoes in the pit because I cant help myself. I think they ended with Speaking In Tongues, but right before that Boots said something like "I love you motherfuckers", took his red Maton guitar, which from my understanding is one of a kind specially built for him, and Pete Townsended the shit out of it while my mouth just hung open. It was amazing. He gave the pieces of the guitar to people in the audience too which was really sick. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen.

If you get a chance to see them play a small venue show, go. You won't regret it.

The only sort of bad thing was this one overly obnoxious older dude who kept taking toots out of his coke vile the whole show, but he was only next to me for a few songs. I saw a few other people get pissed at him for falling into them and shit like that. I thought it was pretty funny that he thought he was being discreet about the coke, but it was impossible not to notice. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #245 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This will be the first concert I've ever been to in Des Moines, or I think even Iowa for that matter.  I'm from South Dakota and usually drive to Twin Cities or Omaha for concerts.  I think they get a decent amount of good bands coming through in that area.  I haven't really listened to cloud rat much but I will definitely get familiar with some of their material beforehand.
Des Moines has a pretty legit scene. A lot of bands from Lincoln used to go out there to play shows and vice versa. I've been to a few shows out there, and always had fun.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Des Moines has a pretty legit scene. A lot of bands from Lincoln used to go out there to play shows and vice versa. I've been to a few shows out there, and always had fun.
I've come to find smaller city's scenes are usually pretty legit; the holier than thou, cool guy attitudes are harder to come by and they don't seem to take shit for granted like people in bigger cities tend to.

Anyway, I got a couple free tickets to go see Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson in a couple of weeks. I've seen Bob Dylan a couple of times (was pretty underwhelmed, but fuck it, I got to see him in person) but have never seen Willie. I'm pretty stoked.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:47 AM »
Steve Earle is playing Omaha August 1.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
I saw Nick Cave last week and it was fucking incredible, seriously the best live show I've ever seen.  From all the videos I've seen, this whole US tour has been crazy every single night.  Dude knows how to work a crowd.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
saw chastity belt a couple days. got flaked by two friends but the set was incredible. brooklyn sucks

my girlfriend tried to get me to go see them once and i blatantly said i wasn't interested. then i listened to them and was like "fuck man i shoulda went"

i second brooklyn sucking. what venu
good come sausage

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »
I've seen St. Vincent and Belle & Sebastian within the last few years. Both good shows. I'll be seeing Bryan Ferry, Depeche Mode, and Peter Murphy over the next 8 months or so.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I've come to find smaller city's scenes are usually pretty legit; the holier than thou, cool guy attitudes are harder to come by and they don't seem to take shit for granted like people in bigger cities tend to.

Anyway, I got a couple free tickets to go see Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson in a couple of weeks. I've seen Bob Dylan a couple of times (was pretty underwhelmed, but fuck it, I got to see him in person) but have never seen Willie. I'm pretty stoked.

Glad I checked this thread. Didn't realize Thou was touring before they play with City of Caterpillar in San Diego in October. They're playing around here twice before that.

I saw Melvins last night. Wish I'd gone to the Troubadour show instead of the Observatory, but they were awesome regardless.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 09, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »
Thou was incredible as always.  Also, I was in the smoking area and saw some dudes wearing denim sitting at a table at a neighboring bar.  I thought there was no way in hell it was actually him ,but it was Riley Hawk.  I checked his Instagram the next day and his band petyr is touring through the Midwest right now.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
Last night I was pretty fortunate to see the awesome Lumpy and the Dumpers play live... at a small media center, for what apparently is a cable access show.  

I have always had mixed feelings about this band, the Sex Pit 7" was the shit on top of the shit...  regardless, they were great live, pretty wild and  the singer has a pretty great stage presence.  

I also had a really strange reality check/old man moment... I looked around kinda tripping out on how young everybody was, thinking that they were a "young persons" hardcore band; didn't take long to realize I was now the "old guy at the show".  Eeks.  

Still... catch them live if you can.  

Lumpy & the Dumpers - Sex Pit
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:04:58 PM by bea! »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »
im either the young guy at the show or the old guy at the show depending on what band im seeing.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
Seen Sturgill Simpson a couple of weeks ago for a friends b-day. I had never really heard of him and tried getting youtube hyped prior to the show but none of his stuff really grabbed me. Then he comes out with just a 4 piece band(doing all the lead guitar work himself) and I was blown away and had a pretty good time. Suffice to say he's just one of those acts you have to see live to appreciate.
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
Just bought tickets for a the dillinger escape plan concert. Soo fucking hyped! My head is gonna get ripped appart.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2017, 03:33:22 AM »
Just bought tickets for a the dillinger escape plan concert. Soo fucking hyped! My head is gonna get ripped appart.

Im seeing them in two weeks too, last chance to do so. Im fucking hyped. Also, Prong, Madball and Crowbar on the same festival, cant wait.

Also, saw Flogging Moly last month, shaked hands and had a little chat with Mat Hensley. I fanned out like a little girl. Got a picture with him that some bitch ruined with her stupid face sneaking in.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:36:49 AM by Filip »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2017, 05:31:24 AM »
Photoshop a cock over her face.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Glad I checked this thread. Didn't realize Thou was touring before they play with City of Caterpillar in San Diego in October. They're playing around here twice before that.

I saw Melvins last night. Wish I'd gone to the Troubadour show instead of the Observatory, but they were awesome regardless.

I just bought a ticket to the city of caterpillar w/ thou in SD. So stoked to finally be able to see city of caterpillar, I generally have an affinity for anything pg. 99, pygmy lush, CoC related haha. I have seen thou a few times over the years and they always kill it. I love a ton of doom/sludge stuff but for some reason I never get into their recorded stuff that much. their cover of into the void kills though. hot damn

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
I went to see Hazel English last Wednesday  at the bootleg theater in LA. The show was exceptional. Her band sounded perfect. Her debut album " Just give in/Never Going Home" is easily one of my favorite releases this year.  Sounds like Angel Olson meets Diiv if you dig that  definitely give her a listen. Real dreamy stuff. Perfect music for cuffing season.  "Never Going Home" and "Control" are good tracks to start with.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
It was a couple weeks ago, but I finally got to see Jeff Rosenstock. He played Call The Office in London, ON (it's a somewhat famous punk venue) and it was incredible. I've been going there for years and this easily in the top 5 shows I've ever seen there. Had the chance to talk to him afterwards a little bit, my girlfriend knows what a fan I am and wanted to take a picture of Jeff and I. She took about 6 and I started to feel bad, but Jeff was a good sport. Got to chat with Laura Stevenson afterwards as well. She was super approachable and appreciative of so many people coming out to the show.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Mongoloid

« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
Just got tickets to see Slowdive in Nov. I've been listening to Souvlaki a lot the last couple years since splitting from the ex (coincidentally she was from Reading), and the new record is quite good. Also been on a Mojave 3 binge the past week.

Super hyped!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »
It was a couple weeks ago, but I finally got to see Jeff Rosenstock. He played Call The Office in London, ON (it's a somewhat famous punk venue) and it was incredible. I've been going there for years and this easily in the top 5 shows I've ever seen there. Had the chance to talk to him afterwards a little bit, my girlfriend knows what a fan I am and wanted to take a picture of Jeff and I. She took about 6 and I started to feel bad, but Jeff was a good sport. Got to chat with Laura Stevenson afterwards as well. She was super approachable and appreciative of so many people coming out to the show.

This makes me so happy. Stoked for you, bud! I recently missed seeing them play in Phoenix because I moved away but I've seen Jeff on numerous occasions. The energy at his shows is fucking amazing. Never seen Laura play though, that must have been awesome.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
I went to Lollapalooza yesterday and a number of performances which were all really good, but the best one by far was Mac Demarco. Like it was essentially a spiritual experience. I've got a ticket to see Surf Curse in September, a 3 day pass to Riot Fest, and a ticket for Beach Fossils in October. These next couple months are gonna be great.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2017, 04:53:29 AM »

laura stevenson is high up in my list of "babes in music nowadays"
good come sausage

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
So I saw The Dillinger Escape Plan almost 2 weeks ago and got my face melted. I was hit in the face by Ben's guitar when he jumped into the pit and started swinging it like crazy ahah got a small bruise near my left eye and shit. Totally worth it.

Then 2 days ago I went to this fest in Portugal and saw Nothing, King Krule, Ho99o9 and At The Drive-In.
Nothing was good, but I saw then last year and it was better.
I dont really know king krule's music but I was wocked, really good show.
Ho99o9 was the gig of the day, holy shit, I wasnt expecting that. Everyone was going apeshit and the moshpit was massive. They made a new fan.
ATDI was a mixed feeling, it was good, but not that good. Lots of new songs that arent bad, but not classic level. Cedric is fat, tired and looks like he's trying to go crazy just because he "needs to".
After that Chet Faker or whatever the guy is called now played aswell but I almost fell asleep. It was a good day all in all.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »
just got super lucky and came across tickets to see pg.99 and majority rule for their reunion tour. every shows been sold out since the day after they went on sale, super hyped and relieved

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
Stoked to see some Jeff Rosenstock love on here. Caught him last month and he never fails to disappoint. He is unquestionably my favorite songwriter.

I also got to see The Melvins last month, but the police shut the show down because it was apparently "at capacity". Upon talking to more people after the fact it sounds more like somebody inside was tired of being pushed around and called 911 themselves.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
I just bought tickets to see Protomartyr, Metz, Preoccuations, and Tyvek on a fucking boat in the Detroit river. $20 a pop.

*edit: it will be on this. You can't even go on a normal cruise for less than $40. They're practically giving tickets away.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:44:49 AM by JB »