Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92514 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »
Is that something they do regularly there? Have bands play boat shows?

I'd be lying if I said I knew any of those bands, but that sounds really cool.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
Is that something they do regularly there? Have bands play boat shows?

I'd be lying if I said I knew any of those bands, but that sounds really cool.

This is the first thing like this I've ever heard of. The boat is more of a touristy thing. You can go for cruises on the weekends for $40 or dinner cruises for about $80. People rent it for weddings and big events, but most of that stuff is a little rich for my blood. I'd probably never go on it if something like this weren't happening so I'm pretty excited.

METZ is probably my favorite out of all the bands. They're a really loud, noisy punk band. Preoccupations and Protomartyr are more post punk and Tyvek sounds pretty garage rock to me.

METZ - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)

slappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
Dang JB, that's going to be an amazing show. I was thinking about going too, it's only a couple hours from me. Metz is easily my favorite of the bunch, Preoccupations was previously Viet Cong, who are great as well.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »
Dang JB, that's going to be an amazing show. I was thinking about going too, it's only a couple hours from me. Metz is easily my favorite of the bunch, Preoccupations was previously Viet Cong, who are great as well.

I have a Metz shirt that is too short for me so my girlfriend uses it to sleep. Thats all.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
I'm contemplating buying OG Misfits tickets,partially because I feel I can just scroll instagram the night of and feel like I'm there.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
So I saw The Dillinger Escape Plan almost 2 weeks ago and got my face melted. I was hit in the face by Ben's guitar when he jumped into the pit and started swinging it like crazy ahah got a small bruise near my left eye and shit. Totally worth it.

Then 2 days ago I went to this fest in Portugal and saw Nothing, King Krule, Ho99o9 and At The Drive-In.
Nothing was good, but I saw then last year and it was better.
I dont really know king krule's music but I was wocked, really good show.
Ho99o9 was the gig of the day, holy shit, I wasnt expecting that. Everyone was going apeshit and the moshpit was massive. They made a new fan.
ATDI was a mixed feeling, it was good, but not that good. Lots of new songs that arent bad, but not classic level. Cedric is fat, tired and looks like he's trying to go crazy just because he "needs to".
After that Chet Faker or whatever the guy is called now played aswell but I almost fell asleep. It was a good day all in all.

But how good was Omar?!?!?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
So I saw The Dillinger Escape Plan almost 2 weeks ago and got my face melted. I was hit in the face by Ben's guitar when he jumped into the pit and started swinging it like crazy ahah got a small bruise near my left eye and shit. Totally worth it.

Then 2 days ago I went to this fest in Portugal and saw Nothing, King Krule, Ho99o9 and At The Drive-In.
Nothing was good, but I saw then last year and it was better.
I dont really know king krule's music but I was wocked, really good show.
Ho99o9 was the gig of the day, holy shit, I wasnt expecting that. Everyone was going apeshit and the moshpit was massive. They made a new fan.
ATDI was a mixed feeling, it was good, but not that good. Lots of new songs that arent bad, but not classic level. Cedric is fat, tired and looks like he's trying to go crazy just because he "needs to".
After that Chet Faker or whatever the guy is called now played aswell but I almost fell asleep. It was a good day all in all.
[close]

But how good was Omar?!?!?

we had tickets to see ADTI maybe a year or two ago and the show got canceled because cedric couldnt sing or something like that. we got our money back and i promised my wife that id take her to the next show they did. their new album came out before they scheduled another show in detroit and i couldnt make it through the album so i never bought us tickets. their over the top edgyness that i loved as a teenager just isnt appealing as an adult and i dont think i could pretend to be into it at one of their shows, especially since the energy they had in the early days is almost totally gone.

i ended up telling my wife that tickets were sold out or costed some absurd amount of money and that was why we couldnt go. i felt a little bad about it because she seemed like she really wanted to see them, but i just couldnt do it. i suffered through an XX show with her to make up for it though. shes a better person. she comes to all the shitty shows i want to see and never complains.   

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
I've got tickets to see Eyehategod in Minneapolis on Monday.  I really hope I can make it.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
I saw Roky Erickson the other night. It was a good show but a little weird and sad.

I had misgivings about the show because the last time he was around I watched a YouTube video from the night before where he was clearly not all there and I opted not to go. This time I figured what the hell, he's a legend either way and I might not get the opportunity again.

So he takes the stage and sits in a chair with guitar while the band cuts loose. He probably only hits 70% of the lyrics for the first few songs. His voice is more pinched but still sounds good. When they pause between songs he just stares into the middle distance and says nothing. Fans say, "I love you" and the band guys say "He loves you back". Eventually he gets more into it and his percentage increases. The band is all young guys but they are really good. Roky gets more animated while singing and hits some bits of the high stuff like he was 18 again and possibly enjoying it. Played nearly every song I would have wanted to hear. The whole show he said nothing.

I enjoyed the music a lot but it was hard to tell if Roky wanted to be there or if it was a quasi Weekend At Bernie's thing.

Dude is now 70 and I'm not sure how many tours he has left in him so I'm glad I went but it did feel a bit off.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
Kind of reminds me of when I saw Daniel Johnston like 10 years ago.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
yeah, i could see how that would be a bit disheartening to watch.

whats crazy is that iggy at 70 is still performing like he did in his 20s.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:49 AM »
Iggy Pop is something else.

Check out CGI him in the new Oneohtrix Point Never video, for the song they did together:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZ6-OqjoIg

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
I went to riot fest in chicago all three days so I've got a list. Four Year Strong, Action Bronson, The Story So Far, Ministry, Vic Mensa, Cold Beat, Bad Brains, The Regrettes, Wu-Tang Clan, Taking Back Sunday, Versus, Cap'N Jazz (their set was hilarious), Pennywise, Dinosaur Jr, Prophets of Rage, Jawbreaker. It's been a great three days.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2017, 05:33:00 AM »
how was bad brains? id love to see them. and was wu tang any good? i saw them once and it was awful. only like 5 of them showed up. no gza. no rae. no ghost. it was basically the method man show for 45 minutes then they called it quits. i was pissed that i stood through 2 hours of shitty local rappers to get such a half ass wu tang show.

did you see queens of the stone age? they were playing, right?

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
how was bad brains? id love to see them. and was wu tang any good? i saw them once and it was awful. only like 5 of them showed up. no gza. no rae. no ghost. it was basically the method man show for 45 minutes then they called it quits. i was pissed that i stood through 2 hours of shitty local rappers to get such a half ass wu tang show.

did you see queens of the stone age? they were playing, right?
Bad Brains was awesome. The pit was insane. I thought it was gonna be kind of a letdown because HR isn't young and angry anymore but I'm glad to say I couldn't have been more wrong. Wu-Tang was fucking lit too. They played most of 36 Chambers and Raekwon did Ice Cream and they played a new song too. They brought two kids on stage because Wu-Tang is for the children. They had one of my favorite sets, I'd see them again if you get a chance. Queens of the Stone Age was playing but I didn't see them because I haven't listened to them a ton and Taking Back Sunday (who I LOVE) was at the same time.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
I went to riot fest in chicago all three days so I've got a list. Four Year Strong, Action Bronson, The Story So Far, Ministry, Vic Mensa, Cold Beat, Bad Brains, The Regrettes, Wu-Tang Clan, Taking Back Sunday, Versus, Cap'N Jazz (their set was hilarious), Pennywise, Dinosaur Jr, Prophets of Rage, Jawbreaker. It's been a great three days.

Were you wearing a prevent this tragedy shirt ?

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, had a Sonic Youth shirt on Friday, white overalls on Saturday, and a Toy Machine shirt Sunday

lilboosie

« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nah, had a Sonic Youth shirt on Friday, white overalls on Saturday, and a Toy Machine shirt Sunday

Ah ok I was only there Sunday wearing a blue our life shirt today is my last full day in Chicago.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »
I had 3 ex girlfriends at riotfest that I had gotten into jawbreaker(used to be my all time fav) that saw the jawbreaker reunion and I didn't go. very weird how that turned out

lilboosie

« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
I had 3 ex girlfriends at riotfest that I had gotten into jawbreaker(used to be my all time fav) that saw the jawbreaker reunion and I didn't go. very weird how that turned out

did they all go togther?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »
oddly enough, nope  :o

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Last week I saw AJJ (formally Andrew Jackson Jihad) and Streetlight Manifesto back to back, and they were both commemorating records they put out in 2006 that had a pretty big impact on a 16 year old me. It was pretty special to see them play both records front to back.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
I'm going to Vegas for work next month and you best your asses I'm going to see Billy Idol.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: September 25, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
The boat show last Friday was pretty sick. Tyvek was the first band and we watched them for a little bit. They were decent. We skipped the next band who was kind of like a deep house synthy band so that we could hang out on the top deck. Preoccupations were next and I was pretty stoked to see them, but honestly they sounded like shit. I don't think of them as a noise band, but they definitely wanted to be that night. Half the show they weren't even "playing" just being loud with no structure. I stuck around long enough to watch them play Bunker Buster then bailed back to the top deck which was honestly a lot more fun. They had DJs spinning records up there. People watching was great too. METZ was next and they kicked ass. Great show and they sounded a lot better than the previous bands. They played almost all the songs I wanted to hear. The only bummer was that the stage was really low and I couldn't see the drummer.  We ended up leaving after their set, which I sort of felt bad about because we missed Protomartyr, and they were the ones headlining the whole thing, but I've never been a huge fan of theirs. The main reason we left was because it was 11:30 and neither me or my wife had eaten anything since breakfast. Overall, it was definitely worth $20 to see METZ and ride the boat around.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
saw the Melvins a night ago.  even though I don't love the new album, the new songs were so much better 'live'.  I generally think they are a waaaay better live band than studio band (except for Senile Animal...that is the best sound production on a melvins album)
hardly art, hardly starving

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
saw the Melvins a night ago.  even though I don't love the new album, the new songs were so much better 'live'.  I generally think they are a waaaay better live band than studio band (except for Senile Animal...that is the best sound production on a melvins album)

A friend of mine recently gave me his copy of Senile Animal, and it quickly became my new favorite Melvins record. I'm not as well acquainted with their new material, but I'm a big fan and they're a fun band to see whether you know everything or don't. I think I told this story already, but they played here in July but got shut down right before they were gonna play Hung Bunny. :(

On the complete opposite spectrum, I saw Paul McCartney last night with my parents. Like pretty much everyone, The Beatles were basically my introduction to music as a whole when I was super young, so it goes without say that seeing Paul was a real goddamn treat. We were on the main floor too which was absurdly expensive, but my dad has been a huge fan his whole life so he insisted on getting good seats.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
saw the oh sees on thursday last week. it was great.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
i have seen dirty fences again and it was as great as the last time.
surprise of the evening were birdcloud for me - truely a great show

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »

you lucky son of a bitch. theyre absolutely crushing with that current lineup. ive had to get my fix on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2fNxWG8E0o

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you lucky son of a bitch. theyre absolutely crushing with that current lineup. ive had to get my fix on youtube.
You might be able to see me when they pan back, haha. It was SO good.