Author Topic: bands you've seen recently  (Read 92517 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: bands you've seen recently
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
Some of my friends are going to see Yo La Tengo tonight, but I backed out cause I have other stuff going on.
Did they mostly play new stuff, or was it songs from throughout their discography?

After spending the last few years barely going to any shows, in the last like month and a half, I've seen John Maus, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (for the 2nd time), Nils Frahm, and Gas (Wolfgang Voigt), all at the same venue.

Seeing Peter Hook playing Joy Division and New Order songs, and Panda Bear with Geologist as the opening act, there too within the next month.

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Sleep, last night.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mongoloid

« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
Some of my friends are going to see Yo La Tengo tonight, but I backed out cause I have other stuff going on.
Did they mostly play new stuff, or was it songs from throughout their discography?

After spending the last few years barely going to any shows, in the last like month and a half, I've seen John Maus, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (for the 2nd time), Nils Frahm, and Gas (Wolfgang Voigt), all at the same venue.

Seeing Peter Hook playing Joy Division and New Order songs, and Panda Bear with Geologist as the opening act, there too within the next month.

ahhhh due to being broke I just missed them play New Haven CT! No idea about the show, and really don't wanna hear the show was good.. I don't wanna get upset about it. Def going to see Kurt Vile in New Haven in June (Ex Best Friend's cousin is a member of the band).

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #333 on: April 13, 2018, 07:10:56 AM »
@childhood, they played new and old stuff, it was a good mix of both. Here's the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yo-la-tengo/2018/the-phoenix-concert-theatre-toronto-on-canada-23ef545f.html

They have so many albums and they could play any of these songs at a drop of the hat, so the setlists vary from show to show. It's a lottery, but you win every time. For example, they didn't play Sugarcube here, but did in the next show. But then they played Yellow Sarong, which they didn't play elsewhere.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2018, 04:23:00 AM »
Went to a TTNG show a few days ago. I am partially to some math rock once in a while, and this time it really hit the spot. And the banter was pretty funny, too.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Saw AJJ a couple nights ago. My friend's band opened for them and I'm still insanely jealous about it. Then a week from tomorrow I'm seeing Jeff Rosenstock, and hopefully seeing the two back to back will finally motivate me to make music again, because both of those bands are largely the reason I started in the first place.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Went to a TTNG show a few days ago. I am partially to some math rock once in a while, and this time it really hit the spot. And the banter was pretty funny, too.

Oh that's sick. I think I preferred them when they had their original vocalist, but their guitarist is still amazing. Victor Villareal-esque.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Saw AJJ a couple nights ago. My friend's band opened for them and I'm still insanely jealous about it. Then a week from tomorrow I'm seeing Jeff Rosenstock, and hopefully seeing the two back to back will finally motivate me to make music again, because both of those bands are largely the reason I started in the first place.

They came to Seattle a few months back and I just happened to walk past the venue. I talked to the bouncer and he let me in for free to watch for a few songs. Fuckin awesome. Thank you Chop Suey bouncer.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 27
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
Saw Earthless about a month ago and it was fucking amazing!  They put on one of the best live shows.  Kikagaku Moyo, from Japan, opened up for them and were mindblowing too.  Psychedelic rock with a sitar.

Caught Propagandhi at the beginning of March. They still bring it.  Been one of my all time favorite bands for over 20 years. 

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2018, 05:52:39 AM »
Saw Earthless about a month ago and it was fucking amazing!  They put on one of the best live shows.  Kikagaku Moyo, from Japan, opened up for them and were mindblowing too.  Psychedelic rock with a sitar.

Caught Propagandhi at the beginning of March. They still bring it.  Been one of my all time favorite bands for over 20 years.

I got burned on Earthless being sold out, but saw Dead Meadow in Brooklyn. Amazing.

Also saw Mac Sabbath again recently. If you don't know, look it up and go see them. You won't be disappointed.

jstankalwara

• Rep: -13
« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2018, 06:09:32 AM »
Sleep, last night.
saw them April 4 shit was tight

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
I caught Backtrack and Mizery a couple days ago at a small venue in Berkeley, both had rad sets.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #342 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »
Saw Parquet Courts last night and they were great. Goat Girl opened for them and they had a solid set. It didn't seem like a lot of people knew who they were but I heard a lot of people saying really positive things when they were done. I don't love all of their music but they've got a few good jams and it was just cool seeing a young band from the UK touring and playing to a decent sized crowd in the US on their first time here.

Parquet Courts played a lot of stuff off the new album. Everything they played was great and I think the songs that I didn't really love on the new one were the ones I enjoyed most live. "Before The Water Gets Too High" was a real highlight. They played some classics too that got the crowd going. Crowd was great too, tons of energy. I was dead tired from busting my ass in the yard all day, so I just stood on the edge of the pit, but the fact that people were going wild and nobody was on their phones made it really fun. My only gripe is that the jam they ended with wasn't really that good and I'm only saying it because I've seen them do way better ones. I don't know if it was all improvised, but it just didn't do it like they usually do. Really wish they would've played "Stoned and Starving" instead, but maybe next time.

Overall it was a great show. I'm glad my wife enjoyed it too because I drag her to all the shitty shows I want to go see and we very rarely get to go see something she likes.

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
Finally got to go see Godspeed You! Black Emperor last Friday at Pappy and Harriet's. One of the best shows I have been to in a long while. Seeing a band like that under the stars in the middle of the desert can be a pretty surreal experience. The sound was amazing and they had some really great visual effects going throughout the show. They used tree reel to reel projectors running different film loops. At one point they were projecting what looked like a civil rights era klan riot, brown people getting jumped by a mob, then you realize it was just a trump rally in Huntington Beach. That was paired with a loop of a plane falling from the sky. The whole show was real heavy.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
http://youtu.be/zYWHjfVtoSM

http://youtu.be/PUZn1I6llJs

At the same show? I just heard about TFS and thought their new album was pretty awesome. Sounded like some shit you'd hear at like a demonic psychedelic circus.

I don't love everything king gizz puts out, but I'd love to see them live. Everything I've watched on youtube is great.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: June 18, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
My brother and sister in laws got us free tickets to Peter Frampton and Steve Miller last night. Not something I would've paid to see, but I had a lot more fun than I expected. Everyone on stage was a great musician and I enjoyed their playing. People watching wasn't bad either.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #347 on: June 18, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
Face to Face awesome show in Lake Worthless
Descendants Ft Lauderdale rad but a bit cramped
Dwarves amazing but minus he who must not be named
Marky Ramone mehhhh...... Okay I guess
Everymen, give it a rest these guys fucking suck your music is a few years too late
She wants revenge a pseudo goth hipsterish chic type of dark wave new romantics of ex's it was alright
Eyehategod in a rural small bar super awesome but bummed on smokers but to see a rad band like this you have to bite the bullet
Weedeater in Miami awesome show rad people goodtimes a plenty
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
Saw some random math rock bands at the Neptune on thursday because my buddy had a spare ticket. The crowd was pretty rad and the pit was really fun. Not normally my scene but I had a great time. Mastodon and Primus on friday super fucking rad. Mastodon mostly just played stuff from their two newer albums but played bladecatcher and some other gems. Primus fucking killed like usual. Third time seeing both bands. I think im going to try to go to smaller venues and seeing bands I havent seen before.

Face to Face awesome show in Lake Worthless
Descendants Ft Lauderdale rad but a bit cramped
Dwarves amazing but minus he who must not be named
Marky Ramone mehhhh...... Okay I guess
Everymen, give it a rest these guys fucking suck your music is a few years too late
She wants revenge a pseudo goth hipsterish chic type of dark wave new romantics of ex's it was alright
Eyehategod in a rural small bar super awesome but bummed on smokers but to see a rad band like this you have to bite the bullet
Weedeater in Miami awesome show rad people goodtimes a plenty

Saw Dwarves, Queers, and Screeching Weasel a few years back and it was a really awesome time. Eyehategod would be sick especially in a small little venue like that.

My brother and sister in laws got us free tickets to Peter Frampton and Steve Miller last night. Not something I would've paid to see, but I had a lot more fun than I expected. Everyone on stage was a great musician and I enjoyed their playing. People watching wasn't bad either.

You summed that up pretty well. I felt the same way when Mark Knopfler came with Bob Dylan. Would have loved to see Knopfler but with Dylan attached it just wasn't worth it. No hate on any of his fans but I just couldn't ever get into most of his music. Same with the Beatles. I guess there is just something wrong with me haha. I dont think they're bad musicians or anything its just most of their music doesn't do it for me.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2018, 10:53:42 PM »
Just went to the San Pedro el Cortez 10 year anniversary show in Tijuana last night. Other headliners were Crush (Black Lips side project), Gary Wilson (legend, influenced Beck, Ariel Pink, Odd Future members, etc.), and Los Dug Dug's (late 60's, early 70's rock) legends.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »
Crush (Black Lips side project)

How is this? I've searched online but I can't find any music.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #351 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
Just saw Converge and Neurosis. Was great.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #352 on: July 11, 2018, 04:56:57 AM »
saw Jack White a couple of weeks ago, that was amazing

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
Alvvays and War On Drugs last night.  Holy shit.  10/10.  Wish they would’ve played Thinking Of A Place and Nothing To Find, but still no complaints.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #354 on: July 24, 2018, 01:38:53 AM »

At the same show? I just heard about TFS and thought their new album was pretty awesome. Sounded like some shit you'd hear at like a demonic psychedelic circus.

I don't love everything king gizz puts out, but I'd love to see them live. Everything I've watched on youtube is great.

Sorry I haven't returned to this thread so only just saw your post then.

It was at the same venue but two nights apart.

Check out the Drones if you like TFS, it's the same singer- Gareth Liddiard. Sorry if you're Australian as this will be obvious.

King Gizz are great live. Really tight and energy packed. Don't be shy about not liking all their stuff. It's very diverse yet also very repetitive at times. Highly recommend checking a gig if you get the opportunity.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
Saw ELO at Madison Square Garden the other night. Performance was good (as expected), but the light show/stage blew my mind.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2018, 07:12:37 AM »
Saw BJM in Amsterdam a week back
See Matt Hollywood and the bad feelings in 2 weeks
See BJM again in October
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #357 on: August 30, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »
Just saw Annihilation Time. I wouldn't put their music on so much these days, but seeing them live was neat. Very talented band to say the least. They played with Hank Wood and The Hammerheads. Now that band just doesn't do it for me.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
saw the bellicose minds on the weekend
and they were amazing. unfortunately the
sound in the location was not as good but
whatever. they killed it and the other band
they're on tour with was quite cool as well

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Saw Sete Star Sept yesterday, finest japanese noisecore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msOn7_OU7cY

I was supposed to go to Dylan Carlson (Earth) solo gig on friday but it's cancelled... Ar least Stephen o'Malley from Sunn O))) is playing for free on sunday. Also, got 2 old school Death Metal gigs back to back monday and Tuesday.
Stoked to see Spectral Voice and Necrowretch again!