Poll

Do you wear clothing from skate brands?

Shirts, pants, socks, jackets - all the time.
22 (23.4%)
I have decent amount of skate clothing and wear it semi-regularly.
37 (39.4%)
I own and wear almost no skate clothes.
35 (37.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Do you wear apparel from skate brands?  (Read 6820 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Do you wear apparel from skate brands?
« on: September 10, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
The Fourstar BA thread made me think of this. I was surprised that so many people seemed invested in a skate clothing company. That's not a knock or critique, it just seemed alien to me.

I haven't bought any skate clothes since the Bones Brigade/Vision Street Wear/JimmyZ's era when I was in middle school. Aside from a few T shirts from then and some random shirts from skate events/fund raisers I own no skate clothing. I'm obviously older but I'd say I stopped rocking the skate stuff by high school.

I'm just curious as to how many skaters buy a lot of skate clothing. (Not counting shoes)

Rusty_Berrings

Re: Do you wear apparel from skate brands?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
I haven't bought any skate clothes since the Bones Brigade/Vision Street Wear/JimmyZ's era when I was in middle school.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
i try and buy like shop clothing from places i travel to. pitcrew, vu, refuge, rise, embassy... just shops outside of my local area

JAesop

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
i try and buy like shop clothing from places i travel to. pitcrew, vu, refuge, rise, embassy... just shops outside of my local area

I do the same thing. Went to Philly, got a Nocturnal shirt, went to Birmingham, got a Faith shirt etc...

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
I only have one pair of skate (toy machine) sock that I almost never wear. But all the jeans I have are mostly fourstar, with a couple vans and matix (i like the spandex).
I have a nice fourstar jacket for winter, like 4 mini logo skate beanies for messy hair or cold days, I have 2 baseball caps, that I only wear when my hair is short and I don't want to brush it, they are adidas Gonz caps, and pretty much all my shirts are skate brand, every pair of shoes i have is skate brand too.
Of course I only buy jeans when they are on sale for like $25 or less, so it's been a while.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
I usually wear companies that I actually use.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:42:33 PM »
I have a spitfire shirt with no logos on it.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
I have a spitfire shirt with no logos on it.
I've got one with 50 logos on it but I can never ever wear it because it's a size medium.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
I have some shit I like to wear. I'm also one of those dudes that buys shirts from skateshops.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do the same thing. Went to Philly, got a Nocturnal shirt, went to Birmingham, got a Faith shirt etc...

I got a shirt from nocturnal and after using it to wipe down a ledge to skate my ex threw it out cause it was dirty. She didn't even think to throw it in the wash...

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
usually just hats...maybe some socks or shit if im gettin my shine on

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
If it's free, but yeah I have a lot of skate logo garments over the years.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
I usually wear companies that I actually use.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
All of the pants are way too tight now. I'd love to wear some Fourstar or something that was baggy and an inseam longer than 32"
For Your Health

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
I have a bunch of t-shirts from artists I like (Todd Francis pigeon, Transportation Unit) but feel silly wearing them in public. It's cheaper than collecting decks as wall-hangers.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
shirts and sweatshirts from a couple companies i like to support.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
All the shirts I actually wear are skate shirts. I have a Poler shirt, a couple Pyramid Country shirts (AZ!), a PS118 shirt, and a Cowtown shirt I'll wear to school. They're all the soft shirts. Whenever I go skating I'll wear my less-than-nice shirts: some Thrasher shirts and whatnot. The hat I wear to school is a small brand I do photography for, and when I skate I have a sweat stained Cowtown hat. For pants I just wear black Dickies. I think I have 5 pairs (?) I realized after typing this that most of the stuff I own is AZ brands. Maybe once I get out of school I'll tone it down, but I just like supporting local brands.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:40 PM »
I have an old ass Indy shirt from 2010 that I still wear. It's all ripped up and worn out.
Still got three or four Vans shirts that I still wear from time to time from back in the day when I worked for them for a lil bit.
I also own a shirt from a local shop that went out of business not long ago, got it for free one time when I bought a board from there.
Had an old spitfire tee from five years ago that I used to wear a lot but I traded it to jordick last winter for a misfits sweater.
Those are pretty much the only skate related clothing I own. Pants have always just been dickies and I've never given a shit about socks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:13:26 PM by Noble Experiment »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
I have this thing that if I wear a pair of socks from a shoe brand and shoes from another brand I feel like my skating isn't good for that day, my way around it is to use socks from stance or Toy Machine socks. I have to match companies also, it's just my tick or whatever.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ZEBRA

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
Most everything I have are skate brands. The only thing I don't invest in is pants. Skate pants are crazy expensive. I've had skate pants as a kid, and I loved them, but they never lasted me. I stick to Levi's and Dickies. The skate pants I do own, I found at TJ Maxx and Ross, or something along those lines.

Only articles of clothing that I have that aren't skate related is a Carhartt vest, some plain shirts, a couple sweatshirts/jackets, and any sports apparel I have, and most of my pants, as I mentioned above.

For long time I didn't wear a lot of skate stuff. I didn't like anything that was out for a couple years. Those were the couple years I didn't skate much either due to bad knees. Ended up getting into a brand called Rebel8. Their kinda lame now, as you can go to any mall and find their stuff at Zumiez, Tilly's, etc. But, before they got super big, they were making some really good stuff. The artist who does all of the graphics, rules. He's a renowned graffiti and tattoo artist.Draws everything with a Sharpie. He actually got his start with Think skateboards. Pretty sure he was the one who created their logo. The yellow and red colors of Think, that was all him. And he's colorblind. Dude rules.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
I only wear armani exchange

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
I never buy skate t shirts, only pants. After buying skate pants that have that 2 % stretch its hard to go back to normal non stretch pants. Big fan of Altamont and Volcom.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 10:57:18 PM »
ive never really been into buy skate branded pants. i'll buy second hand levi's or new dickies as they're generally the cheapest option, and last forever. i'm not one for branded t-shirts for the most part, i prefer plain tees or kinda techy tees like soccer jerseys, but if it's a company i really like and the branding isn't too overwhelming i'll grab it (got some krooked, polar, palace, alltimers and theories in the collection). i buy antisocial shop tees as they use good tees and i like to support them. i have a few really nice krooked 6 panels as well, can't pass those up when i see em. gotta get a hold of a lewis cruise tee and hat and i think i'll be good for skate related clothes for some time.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 11:18:54 PM »
By skate brands, is that only meant to mean hardware brands or clothing companies with a team, I've tried all kinds of companies with some relation to skateboarding but lately RVCA pants can't be beat, the ones from the states are always way more durable than the ones I've gotten from RVCA down here

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 01:07:26 AM »
Most everything I have are skate brands. The only thing I don't invest in is pants. Skate pants are crazy expensive. I've had skate pants as a kid, and I loved them, but they never lasted me. I stick to Levi's and Dickies. The skate pants I do own, I found at TJ Maxx and Ross, or something along those lines.

Only articles of clothing that I have that aren't skate related is a Carhartt vest, some plain shirts, a couple sweatshirts/jackets, and any sports apparel I have, and most of my pants, as I mentioned above.

For long time I didn't wear a lot of skate stuff. I didn't like anything that was out for a couple years. Those were the couple years I didn't skate much either due to bad knees. Ended up getting into a brand called Rebel8. Their kinda lame now, as you can go to any mall and find their stuff at Zumiez, Tilly's, etc. But, before they got super big, they were making some really good stuff. The artist who does all of the graphics, rules. He's a renowned graffiti and tattoo artist.Draws everything with a Sharpie. He actually got his start with Think skateboards. Pretty sure he was the one who created their logo. The yellow and red colors of Think, that was all him. And he's colorblind. Dude rules.
The THINK tag logo is drawn by Mike Giant out of the bay area. Well. He's from New Mexico but been in da Bay since the 90's(?) painting BART tunnels and shit and then eventually tattooing. I got a book by him I'll trade ya if you got any good skateboard photography books. He's done some clothing designs for Upper Playground too man if you ever check them out they got some nice clothes.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 05:04:08 AM »
Just Ts and tops. Always think skate pants are a ripoff really. Too much money for something that gets fucked quickly. I do have some habitat shorts but they are too heavy to skate in. I need quick drying cheap trousers/shorts.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
A little bit. Very few t-shirts, they all seem to fit terribly. Pants aren't too expensive, they're always on sale somewhere. I'd rather hoard hardgoods.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
always stoked on brixton stuff, if that counts. and kr3w chinos. other than that, not so much, except for the already mentioned shop-shirts from various places.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
i buy t shirts every now and then, and pants if they're on sale, but skate brand stuff is usually terrible quality.  can't go wrong with black levi's.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
almost all my t-shirts have super heroes, cartoons, or anime on them

skate branded shit mostly never appealed to me, when it did. i found it
not worth the cost. I know the quality of skate merch has improved, but
I'm really not interested

i like stance socks, I have a few pair of those and better