Author Topic: Style: Fake it til' you make it?  (Read 2822 times)

SkateJawnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Style: Fake it til' you make it?
« on: September 19, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »
General opinion on style. Should you fake it until you grow into what you wanna skate like, or should you just grow into your own over time?

Fukd

• Rep: -45
Re: Style: Fake it til' you make it?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »
I do not condone faking your style to replicate another's, but I do believe that you pick up on what you exposed yourself to. If you strictly watch Peter Hewitt all day long, you might notice your elbows up and fists ready to throw punches over the coming years. I'm a pretty huge fan of dylan. and although I don't try to replicate his style necessarily, I've noticed that I've picked up on a few movements unintentionally (the front arm twisting around the front of your body, being the main one).

BraveUlysses

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »
Wish I was Drake.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 11:01:47 PM »
I've been doing the close-feet cruising for a few years, and couldn't figure out where I got it. I was watching HK's Mindfield part and he does it in the beginning, so I'm gonna go with that's where I got it. Never did it intentionally though.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »
Don't ever fake the funk cause someone might not see your games hurting and be like "yo dogg you need to _____" and that's the truth ruth.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:25:47 PM »
i pretend i'm grant taylor

pinch a loaf

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:53:50 AM »
Mullen said it best -"You might think you're doing what looks frickin awesome, but its not awesome because it's not you. Stop, you're an idiot."

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Mullen said it best -"You might think you're doing what looks frickin awesome, but its not awesome because it's not you. Stop, you're an idiot."
I think that episode of the Simpsons where everyone's wearing nothing but underwear said it better. "If it feels good do it" and then dude grabbed chief Wiggum's underwear elastic and snapped it so hard he went "owwww that huuuuurrrrrt"

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Worse than faking style..
 filming a trick in a crowded park a hundred times over with exaggerated bails/freak outs

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
definitely one of those things that comes naturally the more you skate and hang out with other skaters.

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »
i jack styles like the soup of the day, i change it up every once and a while, when i get the bug from the part i get hyped on it and i learn certain tricks from, i don't 100% copy it but i copy enough to be able to land a new trick, does that make sense, like you see a dude do the trick and you go "oh, THAT'S how to land it!" it's funner than watching a trick tip that's for sure. i'm looking at some jamie thomas parts to figure out grinds and shit. almost got nose grinds on the curb the other day, pretty hyped. and the style copy is me more of figuring out what to do with my arms too, most the time i don't think of it and my arms just move where ever, but day where i'm really on my shit i have total control and then i kinda don't know what to do, then i do the gravette thing where i point my front arm where my foot needs to go, it works some what.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
I've been told I'm ripping off Heath, but standing with your hands on your hips is just more comfortable.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
 I saw this Mexican Dylan clone at a park the other day he had his kit down, it was just painful to watch the exaggerated pushes with his hand on his knee and pushing foot in the air for like 5 seconds