Author Topic: Koston, Mariano, Beibel parting ways with Girl  (Read 126808 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Koston, Mariano, Beibel parting ways with Girl
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:09 AM »
This is a cheesy example but I like the fact that some years ago shit like this was on mainstream things

To me as a little skate rat the fact I recognize the Osiris logo and the Circa shirt was mindblowing because it was fucking MTV and was the underground shit I was into. Get the point right ? Retrospective Fred Durst was a sellout but he really enjoy the skateboarding culture to the point to wear skate clothes and shoes on stage/"awards"/videos and that was something super cool to me as a little kid.

Like some thread weeks ago about hidden skate logos on maintream tv shows or movies it was an instant smile when you realize something you know for the underground culture you love was there visible to people who "dont get it". We lost that now and thats sad.

I guess older people that me lived the same thing when Kurt Cobain was rocking Converse.

Well in this day and age young fellows cant understand this. They have five years skating and they know Nike SB is the ultimate cool-kid brand and they just assume skateboarding is something mainstream you can buy at the Mall right next to Lebron and Ronaldo shoes.

Whatcha want me to say? I won't lie, that I can't deny that it's common knowledge at this point that Nike isn't in it for the love, they are simply in it for the nookie, c'mon, the nookie, c'mon, so shops can take that cookie, and stick it up their yeah, stick it up their yeah, stick it up their. Then shops will wonder why it took so long to figure it out that their the only ones under the sun that didn't get it.

pabloalvarado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote
This is a cheesy example but I like the fact that some years ago shit like this was on mainstream things

To me as a little skate rat the fact I recognize the Osiris logo and the Circa shirt was mindblowing because it was fucking MTV and was the underground shit I was into. Get the point right ? Retrospective Fred Durst was a sellout but he really enjoy the skateboarding culture to the point to wear skate clothes and shoes on stage/"awards"/videos and that was something super cool to me as a little kid.

Like some thread weeks ago about hidden skate logos on maintream tv shows or movies it was an instant smile when you realize something you know for the underground culture you love was there visible to people who "dont get it". We lost that now and thats sad.

I guess older people that me lived the same thing when Kurt Cobain was rocking Converse.

Well in this day and age young fellows cant understand this. They have five years skating and they know Nike SB is the ultimate cool-kid brand and they just assume skateboarding is something mainstream you can buy at the Mall right next to Lebron and Ronaldo shoes.

[close]

Whatcha want me to say? I won't lie, that I can't deny that it's common knowledge at this point that Nike isn't in it for the love, they are simply in it for the nookie, c'mon, the nookie, c'mon, so shops can take that cookie, and stick it up their yeah, stick it up their yeah, stick it up their. Then shops will wonder why it took so long to figure it out that their the only ones under the sun that didn't get it.

That was awesome.  ;D 8)

JamesFardy

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Mariano on FA
[close]

I don't hate this idea

How would you feel if Mariano got on Vans with AVE?

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
Lakai and girl never turn anyone pro or flow all these thousands and thousands of skate die hards that would probably still be skating if they gave them the look. That's what I attribute it to
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

alecjahr

• Rep: -108
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
Bieble on Dgk

too much

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
The OP should have bumped the old thread. I'm not buying it.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
Quote from: alecjahr  link=topic=87776.msg2387788#msg2387788 date=1443991494
Bieble on Dgk
I think it was his free lunch they asked this, he said "nah, when i retire from skating i'll quit Girl. I'm not going to hop on something else."

So if he really is leaving, he'd start his own thing. And I think its safe to assume Guy is going to Nike.

micky682

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
Where's the proof?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »
Where's the proof?

Like lack of proof has ever mattered here.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mariano on FA
[close]

that would actually be sick, I mean him and koston were in cherry so its possible
[close]

Excellent logic

Chuckled.

Maggie

• Rep: -65488
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »
To me there is a big difference between skateboarders, and people who ride skateboards, 95% of the brain deads buying Nike will not even be in the market in 5 years, and it's pathetic that demographic is what is running the show.

this is gonna sound petty as hell but i don't want those 'brain dead' kooks rocking shit that i like

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Who honestly cares. This is going to be super insignificant sadly. The real story here is that girl is about to fold. so is lakai.

discuss that.
[close]

People really should care that the ones who made skateboarding what it is are getting sunk, while companies like Nike make a mockery of skateboarding and skaters are now being called "athletes", with it being okay for it to be in the Olympics.

Wake up

koston is on nike
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 02:15:08 AM »

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 02:21:24 AM »
Heard about the Mariano thing from a realiable source around July.

It would be a brand on his own with some big euro and us pros, not through Crailtap nor any current big company like DLX, Big Time or Kayo.

One thing is sure, is that it was talked.
Conversations happened.

But I have no idea how it ended up.

Shredface

• Rep: -44
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 03:53:43 AM »
Expand Quote
To me there is a big difference between skateboarders, and people who ride skateboards, 95% of the brain deads buying Nike will not even be in the market in 5 years, and it's pathetic that demographic is what is running the show.

[close]

this is gonna sound petty as hell but i don't want those 'brain dead' kooks rocking shit that i like
and I don't want kooks like you on my forum , clogging it up with your " brain dead " attempts at getting attention

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
I don't want to believe this, but it's probably time.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
Heard Guy has been seen around the Converse offices...
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
Biebel has killed this skate thing for a long time. He should run for office. I'd vote for him

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »

I hope this is true. I had so many pairs of Converse One Stars and Dr. J's when him and Pupecki were on.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »

Time for Guy to make some real money. He's one of the best ever and still is skating at the highest level. Unfortunately I don't think Lakai can compete with the cash that is being thrown around these days. Sucks he's leaving Girl but it's time for him to start his own company in my opinion.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
Quote from: alecjahr  link=topic=87776.msg2387788#msg2387788 date=1443991494
Expand Quote
Bieble on Dgk
[close]
I think it was his free lunch they asked this, he said "nah, when i retire from skating i'll quit Girl. I'm not going to hop on something else."

So if he really is leaving, he'd start his own thing. And I think its safe to assume Guy is going to Nike.
BA said that in multiple interviews as well...

blue

• Rep: -22
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
I really hope they don't start something. The market is already so over saturated.
What i would like to see is:
Koston to Hockey & ACTUALLY FUCKING SKATE
Mariano staying on girl but getting a big shoe sponsor(cons or nike)
Beibel also staying but also getting a big shoe check(Adidas would be cool)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »

i'm sure you're probably a kid and i'm not trying to vibe but this was the best skate shoe in the 80s for street skating

the problem with the core vibe is that to me at this point it reflects people who need skating to be under ground and core because they don't have much going on outside of it. it's just a hobie. get over it.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hope this is true. I had so many pairs of Converse One Stars and Dr. J's when him and Pupecki were on.

It's not converse. I heard from a very reliable source that it is Nike.

Swoosh.

They can afford to buy everyone who is relevant in skateboarding and they are doing that.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

naw, not petty at all. It's nice to stand out from the Nike horde.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
the problem with the core vibe is that to me at this point it reflects people who need skating to be under ground and core because they don't have much going on outside of it. it's just a hobie. get over it.
Preach

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Time for Guy to make some real money. He's one of the best ever and still is skating at the highest level. Unfortunately I don't think Lakai can compete with the cash that is being thrown around these days. Sucks he's leaving Girl but it's time for him to start his own company in my opinion.

it's so hilarious to see how a thread started by an obvious troll, at first gets dismissed, halfway down the page becomes 'yeah but what if?" then by page 2 becomes fact.  (unless you're being sarcastic).

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

it's so hilarious to see how a thread started by an obvious troll, at first gets dismissed, halfway down the page becomes 'yeah but what if?" then by page 2 becomes fact.  (unless you're being sarcastic).

I think it's just people starting to realize that it is true.. I don't know about Biebel but the Guy and Koston part is a real thing. Something with Supreme involvement. Should be mildly interesting I guess.

rideflannel

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Expand Quote
indoor skateboards?
[close]

best comment :D

^This whole indoor instagram footage is starting to really annoy me. Damn near perfect weather in southern California for skateboarding and they skate indoors what seems like all day everyday. Not impressed.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
The one thing I hate more than pros who never skate are pros who skate all day every day and don't do it on my terms.