Author Topic: Magnets on your skateboard?  (Read 1749 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Magnets on your skateboard?
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:30:08 AM »
Or how about in your coping, etc.

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
Re: Magnets on your skateboard?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »

Back when it was still morally acceptable to ride killer whales, I visited a now infamous sea-themed park to watch a skateboarding stage show called "City Streets". It had nothing to do with the ocean or the park's Southern California surroundings. Instead, an entire New York city block (or a perception of one) was constructed with a large concrete square to facilitate a day-glo, '80s, albeit, more effeminate version of a Jets vs. Sharks dance off.

The shining light in this sea of neon was an extremely mullet-tailed Filipino American skateboard freestyler and his attractive Caucasian wife/partner. Several non-skater schoolmates who'd already seen the show agreed that he ollied a bunch of random kids from the audience.  As the show progressed, I wasn't too impressed with their safe synchronized routine and was sure that the audience still couldn't comprehend it. I'll admit Primo did get more speed than any freestyler and I was even more surprised when he pushed towards the BMX quarterpipe, kickturned 3/4 ways up, pumped back down towards the plaza, and impulsively hurdled over 4 kids laying on the ground. I knew it was too good to be true. As Primo chucked the "ollie" board behind something, I glimpsed at what looked like two Superbird lappers mounted topside (aka, "sky hooks") through the mounting bolts. Exiting the show, I noticed that the brownstones of the elaborate set weren't buildings at all, just facades. I couldn't help but think that even skateboarding's self-proclaimed "Ultimate Showman" couldn't be bothered to place magnets under the grip and in his soles.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 12:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Back when it was still morally acceptable to ride killer whales, I visited a now infamous sea-themed park to watch a skateboarding stage show called "City Streets". It had nothing to do with the ocean or the park's Southern California surroundings. Instead, an entire New York city block (or a perception of one) was constructed with a large concrete square to facilitate a day-glo, '80s, albeit, more effeminate version of a Jets vs. Sharks dance off.

The shining light in this sea of neon was an extremely mullet-tailed Filipino American skateboard freestyler and his attractive Caucasian wife/partner. Several non-skater schoolmates who'd already seen the show agreed that he ollied a bunch of random kids from the audience.  As the show progressed, I wasn't too impressed with their safe synchronized routine and was sure that the audience still couldn't comprehend it. I'll admit Primo did get more speed than any freestyler and I was even more surprised when he pushed towards the BMX quarterpipe, kickturned 3/4 ways up, pumped back down towards the plaza, and impulsively hurdled over 4 kids laying on the ground. I knew it was too good to be true. As Primo chucked the "ollie" board behind something, I glimpsed at what looked like two Superbird lappers mounted topside (aka, "sky hooks") through the mounting bolts. Exiting the show, I noticed that the brownstones of the elaborate set weren't buildings at all, just facades. I couldn't help but think that even skateboarding's self-proclaimed "Ultimate Showman" couldn't be bothered to place magnets under the grip and in his soles.
This was during the Reagan administration I take it.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »
Just say No!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

RickRust

• Rep: -26
  • Shout out all the pear.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »
How about an electromagnet housed inside of an old camcorder?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »

can you tattoo with it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 04:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

can you tattoo with it?
No. No you cannot.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 04:05:44 AM »

Yep someone shoulda kept those klingons away from uranus.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 04:09:28 AM »
(Ferrite is an iron ore to begin with and can be used in making an electromagnet)