Author Topic: what is a 'park hero'?  (Read 2758 times)

abudabi

what is a 'park hero'?
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
Ive been seeing this phrase here and there and i dont know what it means.
i skate the same park a lot because there arent any good street spots around and it's close to my apartment.
am i park hero? what's the difference between a park hero and a local?

shark tits

Re: what is a 'park hero'?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
Ive been seeing this phrase here and there and i dont know what it means.
i skate the same park a lot because there arent any good street spots around and it's close to my apartment.
am i park hero? what's the difference between a park hero and a local?
a local can blend into the scenery like wallflower jacob dylan but a hero does heroics. they're quick w/ a joke, they'll bum all your smokes and one up whoever at a moment's notice but there's some place they'd rather be. or so they'd like you to believe w/ that faraway glare in their eyes. but really, if ya want to be somewheres else you'd go there so i think most skatepark heros have found their niche and hang onto it while pretending to be indifferent or angsty.

abudabi

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
i think i have the faraway glare down pretty good but my social anxiety safely places me in the wallflower local category. phew!

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Someone who can parallel park a lincoln continental with only 2 inches of clearance front and back, first try.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
Park hero is a friendly skater, and skates the same park every day/ week. They typically have a shop (discount) sponsor, lack street footage, and demand you film their instagram lines. They are good skaters, but not mindblowing

There is no way you can park a continental with only 4 inches of clearance

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
Park hero is a friendly skater, and skates the same park every day/ week. They typically have a shop (discount) sponsor, lack street footage, and demand you film their instagram lines. They are good skaters, but not mindblowing

I'd pretty much agree. I'd say there's also some lore attributed to them.  He did this, he can do this, etc. I used to skate a park regularly and even though I wasn't true friends with the local kids, I still managed to hear some stories about this guy named "Cheetah" and how well he could skate the bowl.

I was skating there once and this guy rolls up and starts blasting huge airs out of the bowl, way higher than any of the other locals I'd seen, and was skating the vert extension really well. So I figured it was him. It was cool, I wanted to see airs back into the bowl instead of the "Canadian fly-out" onto the deck, but no dice.  He also gave me a tip on learning how to roll in. Another time I was there, he wasn't skating but redoing a graffiti piece.

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
some dude whose trying to ripping at some skate company's demo/contest to get noticed, thats how i seen park hero used.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »
A guy who is only good at his home park. Take him anywhere else and he'll find a million things to complain about as to why he isn't landing shit.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »

pinch a loaf

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »
The guy at 3:49 is the epitome of a park hero. Why do people think they'll get sponsored by snaking pros at a demo?
20 Years of Chocolate, Denver & NYC

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
The guy at 3:49 is the epitome of a park hero. Why do people think they'll get sponsored by snaking pros at a demo?

This dude at :33 is much worse. After reynolds ollies this gap this fucking guy just comes blasting through people to show "Hey look i can do it too, give me attention". These guys during demos are the fucking worst!!

Strange Notes - Skateboarding? Classics - Checkin' In Andrew Reynolds
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:46:00 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
i know right, like sit the fuck down and send a sponser me tape for theotis to reveiw, like shit, theres getting hyped and getting buck from the energy, then theres just being a fucking douche, also didn't chocolate and girl try to vibe out tom penny at a contest way back because they thought he was some park hero/kook or something.

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »
though longer than average flaccid bozack, the park hero often finds himself 'pee shy' at public urinals. it's a metaphor for his world view and it's how he evacuates his bladder.
in his mind he can handle a larger audience and the variety of surfaces but it doesn't ever seem to happen.
not everyone who is intellectually lazy or whatever it is that makes people 'park locals' is a hero. one can spend all their time at the park out of convenience sake [it seems the way of the present for most of the people i know].
once upon a time not long ago was a stickup kid named choppy omega. as a burnside loc he robbed another and another and a sister and a brother, got to the point where nobody thought he could 211 w/out the bridge's cover.
his ends were going away like every day so he took a trip to philly and made fountain history.

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 11:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This dude at :33 is much worse. After reynolds ollies this gap this fucking guy just comes blasting through people to show "Hey look i can do it too, give me attention". These guys during demos are the fucking worst!!

Strange Notes - Skateboarding? Classics - Checkin' In Andrew Reynolds

True, but how good is it when they slam! This guy at 3:17 won the demo, and was laughed at by hundreds of people. I was honoured to be there.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3kJ9EKzP8

In regards to the park hero, I never really understood how these guys while ripping, don't want to branch out and skate new parks/spots. I like variety, guess that's why I don't have a 'local' park.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:52:49 PM by Suit Up! »

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »

Visiting Colorado, our group went to this park. I can say that there was an absurd amount of terrible park hero's. Those locals are the worst.
Kids were literally following us around skating whatever we were purposefully trying our tricks, it was actually hilarious ahah.

However, I don't think all park hero's are bad.
Sometimes park hereo's could be the "older kids" who are really good but have different careers, other interests, etc.
50% locals really good at the park, and 50% dipshits doing STUNTS