Author Topic: Could Trump's tariffs on Chinese or Mexican Goods hit deck prices?  (Read 3845 times)

jonnysheen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
I know Dwindle wood is made in China , but i think Generator wood is made in Mexico?

DLX wood is already pricey enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48469408

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Could Trump's tariffs on Chinese or Mexican Goods hit deck prices?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:42 AM »
holy hell, well hopefully they come down in the next 6 months before i need a fresh setup

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »
They could,as it was discussed earlier in Trump's  presidency. Everyone will pay $100 US for a deck just like a guest on the Nine Club asked for.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »
Most likely.  And if the skate industry is anything like the washing machine industry, the US deck manufacturers will just raise their prices like all the importers. 

Just remember - trade wars are good and easy to win. 

Also, Trump seems to still think that tariffs are paid by the country we levee the tariff on and not the US consumer.

Imposing these tariffs on Mexico WILL hurt their economy, causing more of them to try to illegally cross the border. The policy will probably do the opposite he intends - which is pretty standard, because he's a fucking moron.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019/04/23/trumps-washing-machine-tariffs-cost-us-consumers-every-job-created/?utm_term=.7c1377fba307
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:29:28 AM by backinaction »

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 07:06:10 AM »
its about to be a real hot summer *kiss laugh*

soonbanned

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »
People that go through a lot of decks won't pay 80-100 unless it's composite like flight or vx. Readily available good wood blanks all over the place for 20 bucks or less. Draw a graphic that says fuck the industry and skate it.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
Im so fucking glad i dont live in the US, and even happier that i can get boards from my local who gets them directly from ps stix, tho we would probably end up paying about 35 bucks for a deck, wich is fine if you qork in the US and live in mexico, bit it will for sure put a dent in every mexican border skaters pockets
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »
Im so fucking glad i dont live in the US, and even happier that i can get boards from my local who gets them directly from ps stix, tho we would probably end up paying about 35 bucks for a deck, wich is fine if you qork in the US and live in mexico, bit it will for sure put a dent in every mexican border skaters pockets

Is it possible to buy boards from BBS in Mexico?

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it possible to buy boards from BBS in Mexico?
nah, but you can get direct from ps stix if you register as a business
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »
I think you have to suck up the loss until there is a clear picture of whether the tariffs are here to stay.
Just curious is there any way to guess how much this affects a board brand's costs?  I know it varies but don't brands get boards pressed from bbs/ps stix etc at way below what they retail for? Would the tariff be based on what a brand pays the factory or the msrp of the board? I know I'm an idiot for asking this I just have no idea how these things actually impact businesses.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »
INTERESTED IN seeing how this plays out. Very.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:57 PM »
I wish more people, including our president, would understand how tarrifs work. Unless he does understand and doesn't care because he's got people eating out of the palm of his hand.

As stated above, $12.50 tax per board. I don't believe it's feasible to not raise the price of boards to counter that.

At $12.50 per board, if boards stayed at $50 a pop, the company will be eating $1,250 in losses per 100 sold.

I wonder how much it actually costs these companies to have the boards made in the first place.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
Saw a comment reply from Paul/psstix (on his own post) basically stating the only issue with the tariffs currently are getting boards across the border. I'm sure board prices will go up for a lot of the smaller brands first

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 12:25:01 AM »
I wish more people, including our president, would understand how tarrifs work. Unless he does understand and doesn't care because he's got people eating out of the palm of his hand.

As stated above, $12.50 tax per board. I don't believe it's feasible to not raise the price of boards to counter that.

At $12.50 per board, if boards stayed at $50 a pop, the company will be eating $1,250 in losses per 100 sold.

I wonder how much it actually costs these companies to have the boards made in the first place.

According to BBS, in the very flawed Vice article about deck prices, boards cost $10 to manufacture and another dollar for heat transfers (after they moved to Mexico). That was around 2004. Assuming only inflation on the U.S. dollar, that would bring current prices to a little over $15.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

According to BBS, in the very flawed Vice article about deck prices, boards cost $10 to manufacture and another dollar for heat transfers (after they moved to Mexico). That was around 2004. Assuming only inflation on the U.S. dollar, that would bring current prices to a little over $15.

The numbers that Landon is referencing came from me regarding an assumed scenario that Crail may be dealing with, but the article I attached states that the tariffs are on ‘landing cost’ which is total cost not sale price. So, assuming Crail boards cost them less than boards from Mexico I would assume a 25% tariff on China wood would be a break even. My customer is not leaving China because they feel the current Tariff situation it just temporary. I assume Crail can suck up $3-$4 per board for the next 0-18 months waiting for something to happen between the US and China.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
Easy. Problem solved. Go live in Mexico or China.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

handplant circle

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »

That's an interesting concept minus the fact that the average joe can't go the the generator factories in mexico and pick up a blank freshie.

You'd still be buying from a skateshop.....that bought the board (with graphics applied in the US) from the US company...that alreay paid a higher price due to the dipshit in charges new tarrifs...making boards even more expensive in Mexico.

Yes...boards made in Mexico will be even more expensive in Mexico compared to the US.   

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 02:16:55 AM »

Easo. Problem solved. Stop skating. Instant savings.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
With today's news of another huge China tariffs tweet from Trump, and the markets reaction, is it time to stock up now? Tips on how to keep them snappy and crisp in the long run?

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
With today's news of another huge China tariffs tweet from Trump, and the markets reaction, is it time to stock up now? Tips on how to keep them snappy and crisp in the long run?
Vacuum storage bags come in luggage size. Stock up n’ seal em

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Nic

• Rep: 3
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
I tried to understand more about this a little bit ago by talking with Schmitt and some other people, but that was pegged on news that the import tariff would be 20% instead of the 5% in OP's article.

Bottom line I came to was that yes it could affect board prices and no one would really be happy about it.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/03/27/trumps-boarder-tax/

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 11:31:59 AM »
Pretty sure they can just put felt on the bottom of the boards and declare them as slippers like walmart does with their shoes. Oldest trick in the book.