Author Topic: Bunker Down AWS Video  (Read 17583 times)

nino brown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
Re: Bunker Down AWS Video
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
My bet is that Joey Guevara goes pro first. Also I noticed Alien flows Sammy Montano. Cool  8)
this makes up for how shitty 2nd and last guy is a lil bit

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2015, 11:10:39 PM »

Photo of the death-defying Max Garson handrail.

Jares

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »
Yeah... I gotta agree with you on this one Shitty. Other than poor music choice and the overdrawn opening montage the video was quite nice. The filming was beautiful and props should be given to the guys who shot this video for sure. I thought the guys who skated were all pretty sic, its just more should have been done to bring out their personalities and to keep the Alien vibe going. Also the "budget Jerry Hsu" jab was very harsh. How soul crushing must this article have been for anyone involved in this project to read, especially the editor.

I've never really liked Jenkem yet I think they should say whatever the fuck they wanna say- but dude, at least make sure the criticism your boys write is somewhat constructive, especially if they are writing about dudes you've worked with in the past and see from time to time... you know, dudes you have to look into the eyes of when they call you out in real life.

Alien will always have a special place for me in the corner of my brain and it sucks to see them struggle so much, but if the yungbloods running this show have any heart they'll work their way through this, pick the meat from the bones of these criticisms, ingest it, heal up, and carry on. Fuck it.

If you want to criticize something you should make points and not just go "NYAH NYAH THIS SUCKS THE MUSIC SUCKS EVERYTHING SUCKS WAAH" which is exactly what he (and most people on here) did. If it was some jerk off on here or on their own blog, whatever who gives a shit, but jenkem is supposed to be an alternative to horse shit like Transworld or Ride channel or even Thrasher. It was poorly written by an idiot and, for a "magazine" named after shit and piss juice, made the whole thing stink. A bad review is fine and I don't mind people having differing opinions than I do, but that was just some dipshit pissing and moaning. People say dumb stuff when they're stoned, and people run over other people when they're drunk.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2015, 02:24:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did they really take that shit down?
[close]
Way to stand behind your work Jenkem.
[close]

hey man -
it's ian
i did take down the stoned review.

the writer (cold pizza) actually used to post on here, i always thought he was really funny and we've done several "reviews" of a couple of other clips / vids. this one was def. more harsh than usual but i figured it wouldn't be taken too seriously.

long story short - woke up this morning with a big fuck you message from habitat. hit up one of the guys there and i really bummed him out and i'm sure a bunch of people over at Alien / habitat / ty .... the dude is not responding to my calls or text.

i've met the dude, he's super nice and always been helpful -  i worked with him on some stuff in the past
so yeah - it left me in this situation, do i stand by the post and have him and their crew completely bummed on me, or do i take it down, and bum out readers. i chose to take it down for now and try and work it out with them.

so yeah.. that's where i'm at right now. what would you have done?

Fuck, that review wasn't even that harsh. Just cut a little too close to the bone, perhaps?

Kind of says a lot about the whole Alien situation. I doubt they ever had to contact anyone about them talking shit on their past videos...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2015, 05:01:40 AM »
Expand Quote
hey man -
it's ian
i did take down the stoned review.

the writer (cold pizza) actually used to post on here, i always thought he was really funny and we've done several "reviews" of a couple of other clips / vids. this one was def. more harsh than usual but i figured it wouldn't be taken too seriously.

long story short - woke up this morning with a big fuck you message from habitat. hit up one of the guys there and i really bummed him out and i'm sure a bunch of people over at Alien / habitat / ty .... the dude is not responding to my calls or text.

i've met the dude, he's super nice and always been helpful -  i worked with him on some stuff in the past
so yeah - it left me in this situation, do i stand by the post and have him and their crew completely bummed on me, or do i take it down, and bum out readers. i chose to take it down for now and try and work it out with them.

so yeah.. that's where i'm at right now. what would you have done?

[close]

Read it before I posted it.

Ian - I consider myself a fan of Jenkem so keep that in context with my feedback. That "review" of Bunker Down was a piece of shit and unfunny on every level imaginable. You should be embarrassed as a staff to give the green light to go live with that dumb shit. I am a grown man and it was an insult to my intelligence and 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Pure shit.

But aside from that - what would I do? Exactly what SFB said - let the editor or webmaster actually READ IT first before posting. You guys have a better standard than that. Now, you aren't Time or Newsweek or some other actual journalist outpost with any ounce of integrity, but you are above posting nonsensical junior high ramblings from some random dipshit named Cold Pizza from SLAP. Is there no QC? Hold yourself to a higher standard. That review was just dumb. If you guys didn't like Bunker Down on it's own merit that's fine, variety is the spice of life. But you can express that in a more well thought out, and much better written, manner.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:04:12 AM by heritage »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
The people who brought you "street league on acid" now give a shit what they put on their site... It was a "stoned review," and it had some truth to it.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
The people who brought you "street league on acid" now give a shit what they put on their site... It was a "stoned review," and it had some truth to it.

Meh just watched it again and read the review. Dude was right that the music was garbage but to say majority of the skating sucked is pretty idiotic. I mean they killed it.

Also why did he refer the last dude as "low budget Jerry Hsu", was it cause he is Asian also? Conformed Jenkem is racists   

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
reading anything on Jenkem other than interviews with professional skateboarders

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:44:19 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Also why did he refer the last dude as "low budget Jerry Hsu", was it cause he is Asian also? Conformed Jenkem is racists   

It always kinda bothers me when people can only compare skaters of the same race. If anything brandon nguyen's skating looked kinda like josh hawkins.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
Think I spotted 2 or 3 instances of using a sign to fix a cellar door. Now that is really taking California out to the east coast.
Bobby the rule maker would not approve.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »

If anything brandon nguyen's skating looked kinda brandon nguyen.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

Ian - I consider myself a fan of Jenkem so keep that in context with my feedback. That "review" of Bunker Down was a piece of shit and unfunny on every level imaginable. You should be embarrassed as a staff to give the green light to go live with that dumb shit. I am a grown man and it was an insult to my intelligence and 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Pure shit.

But aside from that - what would I do? Exactly what SFB said - let the editor or webmaster actually READ IT first before posting. You guys have a better standard than that. Now, you aren't Time or Newsweek or some other actual journalist outpost with any ounce of integrity, but you are above posting nonsensical junior high ramblings from some random dipshit named Cold Pizza from SLAP. Is there no QC? Hold yourself to a higher standard. That review was just dumb. If you guys didn't like Bunker Down on it's own merit that's fine, variety is the spice of life. But you can express that in a more well thought out, and much better written, manner.

This. I wasn't blown away by the video by any means, but there are far more deserving companies/videos/skaters out there to print pure shit talk about than this group.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2015, 12:40:53 AM »
how they gonna pick a better song for the yardsale then the regular edit? come on AWS, i wanna defend you over here but you sure are making it tough. what with calling a fucking internet website and crying about a poorly written review after YOU butchered what could have been a good promo with that robot diarrhea music. not to mention how you almost tried to tell a story going to a building then putting up a flag and a tent? and then forgetting what you were doing then kinda using a drone. WHAT THE FUCK! i wish i could kook myself this makes me so internet upset. 
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

dbnreeray

• Rep: 0
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »
this just got posted a few hours ago
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/alien-workshop-s-bunker-down-yardsale/

when a four minute clip is better than the actual video.

i also can't help but feel like joey guevara is a poor man's ryan sublette...

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

abudabi

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

when a four minute clip is better than the actual video.

wat

lalala

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

That's fucky

gripping the dick like a church girl giving her first hand job
head of the dick gonna be purple like my uncles face when he hung himself

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's fucky

Whoa, didn't recognize it from the video but that's down by sculpture park in denver right? That's fucked.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »

Better than the whole video.

imagine if they start with a couple chords of Little Ethnic Song and then went into this... arrrrrrrrrg!  so good.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
On Skateline Gary Rogers pointed out how they all are basically doing their best Miles Silvas impressions.  I agree. 

Jenkem Review was pretty Spot on too minus the mindfield diss.
where is home?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »
The fact that the Jenkem reviewer kept repeating the phrase "budget Jerry Hsu" made me so mad. Brandon Nguyen and Jerry Hsu skate nothing alike and look nothing alike. I'm pretty sure they're not even the same ethnicity. I'm tired of all the bullshit "Asians all look the same" jokes.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
On Skateline Gary Rogers pointed out how they all are basically doing their best Miles Silvas impressions.  I agree. 

How are they doing a Miles Silvas impression when Miles Silvas is doing an impression of Lucas Puig?(I haven't seen the LRG video yet and will happily retract that statement if he changes my mind)

These kids are just skateboarders as far as I can tell, they all look pretty normal and I guess that isn't enough for you guys. I wish they all looked like Dylan, or maybe wore all white like Heath, or had horse teeth like Mikey Taylor and then you'd feel it was the Workshop.
p-shuvs and v-flips

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2015, 06:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How are they doing a Miles Silvas impression when Miles Silvas is doing an impression of Lucas Puig?(I haven't seen the LRG video yet and will happily retract that statement if he changes my mind)

These kids are just skateboarders as far as I can tell, they all look pretty normal and I guess that isn't enough for you guys. I wish they all looked like Dylan, or maybe wore all white like Heath, or had horse teeth like Mikey Taylor and then you'd feel it was the Workshop.

1.  none of these guys skate like silvas... at all. 
2.  i too initially thought silvas was redundant of puig
3.  the LRG vid shows silvas is his own ripper
4.  yea, the budgest hsu stuff was just beyond lame

foureyedjim

« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »

All these baseless comparisons just support my belief that people wanted to hate the video before it even came out. 
Grasping at straws for things to hate on.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

All these baseless comparisons just support my belief that people wanted to hate the video before it even came out. 
Grasping at straws for things to hate on.

I've re-watched it a bunch of times and at least it makes me want to go skate. I turned Nyah's video off after two minutes. Sure it's impressive but it does not appeal to me because i will never will be able to do what he des.

These kids have fun and skate cool spots.
Yes, the intro was kinda "meh" but at least everything was filmed in a decent way.

But I must admit that the video they dropped afterwards is cooler than bunker down itself...

The only thing I wish is that workshop got at least one legit pro. Dudes like karangalov would be cool or Swap some people with Habitat like they used to do anyway... Imagine Fred Gall back on workshop!

I hate team boards and I want to support "a dude"... not only a company.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
The only thing I wish is that workshop got at least one legit pro. Dudes like karangalov would be cool or Swap some people with Habitat like they used to do anyway... Imagine Fred Gall back on workshop!

Karangelov should not be pro...all these dudes are light years ahead of him skill-wise. He has a cool style but is extremely one-dimensional.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed on all points after viewing the LRG video, although Silvas apparel choices still scream LUCAS PUIG to me.
p-shuvs and v-flips

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Karangelov should not be pro...all these dudes are light years ahead of him skill-wise. He has a cool style but is extremely one-dimensional.

point taken

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
I could see Rob Wooton on this team.