Author Topic: Unreleased & unfinished N64 games discovered  (Read 1867 times)

Can of Soup

• Rep: 113
Unreleased & unfinished N64 games discovered
« on: October 29, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »
Thought this was pretty cool--really want to know what's on that "Mario 2" cartridge...

http://www.unseen64.net/2015/10/23/freak-boy-prototype-has-been-found/

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
Re: Unreleased & unfinished N64 games discovered
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
Rad! I've been to this site Unseen64 several times before. Lots of fascinating shit on there, you can kill an hour browsing it real easily haha

g.i.s.m.

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
awesome!!! the only unfinished game i knew at the time was Mother 3, although it was later made for GBA which tbh was a perfect way to play that game. love the n64

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
awesome!!! the only unfinished game i knew at the time was Mother 3, although it was later made for GBA which tbh was a perfect way to play that game. love the n64

I remember having an old Nintendo Power that came out not long after the 100th issue with an article on the elusive 64DD. Mother 3 was in there,  it looked pretty dope, but yeah it getting made in the same style of the SNES game was probably for the best. I still wouldn't be opposed to a 3D Mother game coming out someday, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.

Can of Soup

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »

I remember having an old Nintendo Power that came out not long after the 100th issue with an article on the elusive 64DD. Mother 3 was in there,  it looked pretty dope, but yeah it getting made in the same style of the SNES game was probably for the best. I still wouldn't be opposed to a 3D Mother game coming out someday, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.

Had no idea about Mother 3, that's pretty wild!
Do either of you have any experience with the Everdrive64? Thinking about getting one. 

g.i.s.m.

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »
the idea is pretty cool and i purchased a flash drive for my ds years ago (for 30 bucks or so) and it was very worth it; its maybe not for "purists" (that being said, im actually pretty into collecting handheld games) but i saved hundereds of bucks trying out games rather than forking over $50 for some megaman battle network game. the everdrive 64s price seems really, really steep though... almost 200 bucks?! if you got the money then by all means put it down, and im sure its easy enough to add roms onto it, being a cartridge, but i dont think i even would play enough of a variety of games to make the price worth it imho. i guess itd be a good decision for saving tangible space and for playing more rare titles like snowboard kids 2 or somethin.

i seriously fucking love nintendo. i left all of my consoles behind when i moved out of state recently and regret it so much. i have the gb/gba/ds of course but sometimes nothing beats playing donkey kong 64 in the dark with only the glow of the television. what are some of yalls fave 64 titles?

Can of Soup

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
the idea is pretty cool and i purchased a flash drive for my ds years ago (for 30 bucks or so) and it was very worth it; its maybe not for "purists" (that being said, im actually pretty into collecting handheld games) but i saved hundereds of bucks trying out games rather than forking over $50 for some megaman battle network game. the everdrive 64s price seems really, really steep though... almost 200 bucks?! if you got the money then by all means put it down, and im sure its easy enough to add roms onto it, being a cartridge, but i dont think i even would play enough of a variety of games to make the price worth it imho. i guess itd be a good decision for saving tangible space and for playing more rare titles like snowboard kids 2 or somethin.

i seriously fucking love nintendo. i left all of my consoles behind when i moved out of state recently and regret it so much. i have the gb/gba/ds of course but sometimes nothing beats playing donkey kong 64 in the dark with only the glow of the television. what are some of yalls fave 64 titles?

The price is super steep, for sure--I like playing on the actual hardware, and it does let you play SNES titles (I think?), so I might just get one (from what I've read, emulation on the PC isn't as reliable). In college someone took off with most of my cartridges; so I'm debating between this or slowly rebuilding the collection w/ the physical cartridges.

DK64 was great: the music, the storyline, the games within the game--never got close to finishing it because I got really impatient with all the backtracking / collecting. I really love the N64 platformers, especially anything with music by Grant Kirkhope and most Rare titles. Lucasarts did a great job with Rogue Squadron and SOTE too, I think. Mario Kart 64 is still a lot of fun as well. N64 was the last console I got,  so my experiences playing newer iterations of titles like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart at friends' houses are almost like sensory overload  :o haha.    

Garth Marenghi

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:28:14 AM »
Never had a Nintendo 64 but as far as unreleased games go, hopefully someone unearths Ultimate Journey some day.

Can of Soup

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
Rare just recently put out a clip with some footage from what started out as "Twelve Tales: Conker 64" and eventually became "Conker's Bad Fur Day". Interesting how all this N64 unreleased stuff is being shown lately. 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:27:56 AM by Can of Soup »

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
I dunno if it says it anywhere but Im pretty sure that the 'freak boy' game was developed by Rare

The gameplay footage itself looks like its running on a modded version of the banjo engine
and the soundtrack resembles the goldeneye music a lot.