Author Topic: Health and skateboarding  (Read 9262 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Health and skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Sadly, I work out more than I skate these days due to work, kids, etc. - I'm also single, so I need to be marketable ;)

I workout 6 days a week, that includes morning yoga classes and the gym after work, eat well, etc.. I found a park that is super close to my office so I'm going to attempt lunch skate sessions soon.

- Best tip I can give is you is drink more water, so few people enough to meet their daily needs.
- Stretch AFTER the session, only slightly before (I just skate around to warm up) sticks/rollers are good if you can use them at home before you roll out.
- Yoga!
- Swimming is fantastic, I'm picking this up again in the AM to alternate with Yoga. It's the best low impact cardio you can do.
- Eat better, fuck soda and energy drinks. Grab a coffee or some hookers and cocaine if you need a pick me up.
[close]

What can you tell me about yoga? Are there simple exercises I can do at home based upon yoga? I don't feel like paying to do it. I'd love to have somewhere to swim, so I'll do my research. It's definitely great exercise. Good tips.

For skating, especially before and after I do these, Google:

Downward dog
Legs up wall pose
malasana pose
pidgeon

Basic bend over and let your body just hang (don't try and touch your toes), 'roll' your body up, they put your arms over your head and stretch the fuck out of everything (you can lay down for this as well). I do this every morning, seconds after getting out of bed.

Sit cross legged and suck in your stomach and lengthen through the top of your head and lean forward keeping your back straight, go as low as you can. Release it, change the cross of your legs and do it again.

There are a number of balance [warrior, triangle] poses which strengthen your legs but I go in for flexibility, my lower back is fucked (need to find a chiro) and so are my knees. There's a metric ton of ground poses you can do for hamstrings.

FWIW, Bucky Lasek (and a bunch of older guys, even SALBA) practice yoga.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
FWIW, Bucky Lasek (and a bunch of older guys, even SALBA) practice yoga.

Matt Field was way ahead of the game!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:56 AM »
anyone have those ankle injuries that are more from vertical impacts than rolling or sideways twists of the ankle? and you get a sort of stinging pain? usually happens when you land too much on your toes or primo. I don't know if these are a type of sprain. is there any way to deal with or rehab these?

dude, i think i have the same problem. up until i was 29-30 i could skate every day for 10 hrs a day. for the last 5-6 years i have been getting ankle pain which has escalated to the point that if i skate for 2-3 days my ankles give up and start to proper hurt even going down a curb, although i haven't rolled them. even when im fresh out of bed its a task just to get to the bathroom because my ankles are so stiff that walking is agonising. i had mri (targeting the achilles' tendon because i thought i had torn it) and the doctor just said that my ankles look like the belong to a 70 yo and that my achilles' hurts because of all the general damage on that area. he mentioned scar tissue build up but didnt give any guidance apart from "rest and quit skating".
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone have those ankle injuries that are more from vertical impacts than rolling or sideways twists of the ankle? and you get a sort of stinging pain? usually happens when you land too much on your toes or primo. I don't know if these are a type of sprain. is there any way to deal with or rehab these?
[close]

dude, i think i have the same problem. up until i was 29-30 i could skate every day for 10 hrs a day. for the last 5-6 years i have been getting ankle pain which has escalated to the point that if i skate for 2-3 days my ankles give up and start to proper hurt even going down a curb, although i haven't rolled them. even when im fresh out of bed its a task just to get to the bathroom because my ankles are so stiff that walking is agonising. i had mri (targeting the achilles' tendon because i thought i had torn it) and the doctor just said that my ankles look like the belong to a 70 yo and that my achilles' hurts because of all the general damage on that area. he mentioned scar tissue build up but didnt give any guidance apart from "rest and quit skating".

I have a big lump of scar tissue on the top of my ankle, at the bottom of my leg where the foot bends. I think that's from those awkward stinger type of landings. I don't know if it is going to keep building up so that I have chronic problems, 'cause that would suck as I can't pay for surgery.