Poll

Why do you support nike/adidas/converse?

You are a poseur and have to have whatever shoe is "cool" at the moment.
You love that sporting goods companies are involved in skateboarding.
You are a young kid who isn't gonna be skating next year because it's not cool anymore/too hard/painful.
You hate all the skate footwear brands.
You want to support child labour and unethical business practices.
You don't "love" skateboarding/not down for life/not really a true skateboarder.

Author Topic: Why do you support nike/adidas/converse?  (Read 7076 times)

felix.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -34
Why do you support nike/adidas/converse?
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »
???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:21:19 AM by felix. »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Why do you support nike/adidas/converse?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 05:52:59 AM »
Hey you dumb fuck, when you come pay my mortgage and my kids school invoice you can tell me what skate shoes I should buy and wear.

Until then, STFU. Fascism in skateboarding is so hot in 2016.

Such a great new topic for debate, great thread. 10/10. Subscribed.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:01:56 AM »
Hey you dumb fuck, when you come pay my mortgage and my kids school invoice you can tell me what skate shoes I should buy and wear.

Until then, STFU. Fascism in skateboarding is so hot in 2016.

Such a great new topic for debate, great thread. 10/10. Subscribed.
Well ain't the pot kalling the kettle fuckin black there bubba

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
I'll play along and just answer. It's been a long while since I bought any skate shoes, but I generally where "non-skate" nikes. Fact is they last me longer than any shoe. I've been skating the same three pairs of shoes on rotation for over a year and the tread is still in tact, the uppers aren't blown out, and they aren't soggy. Super glue stitching one time and I don't have to worry about them again. To me, the price I'm paying for a better shoe outweighs any morsel of feeling satisfaction of supporting a pseudo-skater-owned shoe company that doesn't hold up.

Tay

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
"You want to support child labour and unethical business practices."

Sole Technology (umbrella corporation of Etnies, Emerica and eS) is far less transparent to their labor sourcing compared with big brand athletic companies. In fact, Sole Technology has abysmal ratings. At least do a quick fact check of your statements.

Sources:
http://rankabrand.org/sportswear-sports-shoes/Etnies
http://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=5264
http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/browse/guide/?type=735

Personally I hate the way modern skate shoes are styled; spare the Westgate, project BA and SB Free. The majority of soft skate goods never appealed to me, I'm outside the target demographic. But I guess I don't skate, I'm just a kook.   :)

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »
The industry itself doesn't give a shit about this issue, riders leaving their friends company for a bigger cheque is far from unusual, yet you want me to be the sheep buying strickly skater owned ? What I care more about is the product itself... I've bought a whole lot of busenitz in the past 5 years because they fit me perfectly, but that never stopped me from buying a couple of emericas and supras (before kswiss)... Unless you're in the core skater owner 100% business, I think you should just worry about what you like and stop worrying about what others want to buy.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »
The industry itself doesn't give a shit about this issue, riders leaving their friends company for a bigger cheque is far from unusual, yet you want me to be the sheep buying strickly skater owned ? What I care more about is the product itself... I've bought a whole lot of busenitz in the past 5 years because they fit me perfectly, but that never stopped me from buying a couple of emericas and supras (before kswiss)... Unless you're in the core skater owner 100% business, I think you should just worry about what you like and stop worrying about what others want to buy.

ALL of this. Great post Julz. So many different fallacies surrounding "skater owned footwear". People with very limited understanding of business or even the world at large have a hard time wrapping their myopic sensibilities around it. It just sounds really cool to spew on a message board. I shake my head in second hand embarrassment reading some of the hilarity that gets posted.

At the end of the day, it's dumb to pour your hard earned money into someone's pocket that's making an inferior product. It's even dumber to worry about what others want you to buy.

Blanco

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »
Coregasmic thread bro

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
i cant even take this thread seriously hahaha

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
the shoes are more accessible and they are not cutting corners on production.  I went to europe and seen no one wearing "skate brand" shoes or whatever you want to classify it as.  and when they have a es, etnies etc in the shop they are super expensive.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
The last one.

zippy z

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
I skated adidas before they made skate shoes. I bought a lot of "core" brands over the years, but they never had the quality or consistency of the "big" brands.

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
i don't nigga, all their shit is ugly as fuck and i can only really skate one type of shoe and they don't have it. i had the same shoe preference since i was 7.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »
You don't "love" skateboarding/not down for life/not really a true skateboarder.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
simply put, they are better quality than everything else

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
I love Etnies and Emerica. But, Converse have that toe cap and it lasts forever. Plus, they upped them with Lunarlon which was my only gripe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
They make skate shoes... ???

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Because I shop the sale section of my local skate shop

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Because Converse supports people like Kenny
Because Nike supports people like Ishod
Because Adidas supports one of the greatest teams ever

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 06:03:59 AM »
Because they are the only ones in Europe who are 13 US on all models, I guess in USA is easier, but here it is impossible to buy a Emerica, Lakai or any brand on my fucking size.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
Because I shop the sale section of my local skate shop

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:15 AM »
The only non-shitty skate shoes I've had since I started skating were Vans, Huf (expensive Dylan ones), Nike, Adidas, and DC. I've been wearing Chuck Taylors since I was in elementary school, so idgaf either way.

Frosty178

• Rep: 6
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 02:40:42 AM »
Clicked this thread thinking it would be peoples actual preferences and reasons. As soon as I saw the multiple choice I knew it was over.

I'll just convey my opinion anyway though. I buy Nike because I like Dunk lows. I buy Adidas because I like the Busenitz and the old Campus Vulc. Only Converse I've bought were the cts? The ones with the memory foam tongue and collar.

End of the day it's all personal preference isn't it.

Just to add, those bullet point choices at the start of the thread are fucking dreadful.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 04:22:43 AM »
Fuck, I think I just found a worm hole through to the early 2000's. I feel like a lower budget Marty McFly.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 06:01:06 AM »
What the fuck is skater owned anyway these days? Sole Tech, Filament, Vox? Any others?

When it comes to my feet and knees I am a complete mercenary and will ride whatever works and doesn't hurt. It was Nike for a while, right now Sole Tech G6s. If Robert Mugabe put out a good skate shoe I would buy that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
Same reason I wear Levis over Krew.....Costco over Stance.....definitely buy skateboards made by skateboard companies though.....

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 03:26:25 PM »
What people have said about the sporting goods companies footwear being of a better quality, I can understand that but don't you think that if everyone bought shoes from companies that actually gave a fuck about skateboarding they could make better quality shoes. Lakai definitely made an effort to improve their shoes to compete with the sporting goods companies who have taken over a large percentage of the skate footwear market. The quality of Vans before they moved production overseas was super fucking great but the shoes they make nowadays while still good are not of the same quality. McCown De Leeuw & Co made the decision to manufacture shoes for less money so they could put more money into their pockets. All businesses have to make a profit but actual skate companies care about skateboarding whereas giant corporations do not, all they care about is $$$.

I've bought sale skate shoes made by sporting goods companies but I regret doing so because there shouldn't even be skate shoes made by sports companies, they are total culture vultures milking skateboarding for what it's worth. I feel sorry for any pro skater who takes the big corporate paycheck because if everyone supported skate companies those companies would be able to pay them large amounts of money too.

I will never fuck with Nike Sb for kicking Peter Hewitt off the team for smoking weed when they released the Todd Bratrud Skunk Dunks. FUCKING ASSHOLES!  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:08:02 AM by felix. »

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
What people have said about the sporting goods companies footwear being of a better quality, I can understand that but don't you think that if everyone bought shoes from companies that actually gave a fuck about skateboarding they could make better quality shoes. Lakai definitely made an effort to improve their shoes to compete with the sporting goods companies who have taken over a large percentage of the skate footwear market. The quality of Vans before they moved production overseas. was super fucking great but the shoes they make nowadays while still good are not of the same quality. McCown De Leeuw & Co made the decision to manufacture shoes for less money so they could put more money into their pockets. All businesses have to make a profit but actual skate companies care about skateboarding whereas giant corporations do not, all they care about is $$$.

I've bought sale skate shoes made by sporting goods companies but I regret doing so because there shouldn't even be skate shoes made by sports companies, they are total culture vultures milking skateboarding for what it's worth. I feel sorry for any pro skater who takes the big corporate paycheck because if everyone supported skate companies those companies would be able to pay them large amounts of money too.

I will never fuck with Nike Sb for kicking Peter Hewitt off the team for smoking weed when they released the Todd Bratrud Skunk Dunks. FUCKING ASSHOLES! 

dont worry dude, life after high school is gonna be way better than it is now...just you wait fam.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
simply put, they are better quality than everything else

micky682

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but what "non-skate" shoes are good for skating?