Author Topic: ankle braces  (Read 7691 times)

Jordick

ankle braces
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »
Ok stupid question here so excuse me, would skating with an ankle brace on each foot with a low top shoe have as much support as a mid or hi top? My ankles are just too fucked up to be skating low tops anymore, as they roll extremely easily. And it's kind of tough to find cheaper hi/mid tops that don't look like complete shit.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: ankle braces
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
Do you do any ankle exercises?

Jordick

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
No, any you recommend?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »
I think it would be more support but be uncomfortable...

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No, any you recommend?

I have tendonitis in the ankle, my doctor told me to walk on my toes to strenghten it. It's probably a different thing, but making it a habit was good in the long run. Skateboarding itself helped me out with the chronic pain -- I actually started skating after the injury, as a grown-ass man. So I'd like to know some good ankle exercises too.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
yeah it definitely might be uncomfortable to have two ankle braces but if they still make them the ETC ankle braces are pretty good. I got one after I rolled my ankle pretty bad and wore it when I'd skate and my ankle wasnt fully back yet and its definitely really easy to skate in it while still feeling like your ankle is supported. I think they were like $30 though? So yeah the ETC ankle brace is pretty comfortable to skate in

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I wore ankle braces for years, they are a bad thing. There is no substitute for doing pt exercises, if your ankles are weak, reducing their mobility will make them weaker and less mobile in the long run and lead to more serious problems/ worse injuries. Even 10 minutes a day is enough exercise to strengthen your ankles if you do it right.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
I wore ankle braces for years, they are a bad thing. There is no substitute for doing pt exercises, if your ankles are weak, reducing their mobility will make them weaker and less mobile in the long run and lead to more serious problems/ worse injuries. Even 10 minutes a day is enough exercise to strengthen your ankles if you do it right.

this. get a wobble board.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Very simple but effective exercise:

Stand on one leg, eyes closed, balance upright for 5s with minimal upperbody movement, no arm-flapping etc.
once you are steady, bend your knee and go down as far as you can into a squat, then back up x5
5th dip, hold and balance at lowest point for 5s
x5 more dips, then switch legs

If you want make this more challenging, do it standing on a thick piece of memory foam, a mattress, or any other soft surface that will making balancing more difficult

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D1VJGO/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i18

This torture device is really handy for several things.  For ankle exercises, I wrapped the strap around my foot and the other end to something immovable and did ankle exercises.  Start off with one and build up from there to two and so forth.  It will retain elasticity better than other oversized rubber bands.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

I have a buddy who always skates with an ankle brace on each foot. I'm constantly telling him the same thing. It just makes your ankle rely on the brace for strength. Not good to always skate with them on.

I'm currently 3 weeks into an ankle roll. Still can't skate. But I'm working hard to get back. Doing a lot of toe raises. Got a rubber strap (not as fancy as yours, layzieyez). Epsom salt. Tiger Balm. Stretch and strengthen. Find the motion or movement that hurts; and keep doing it. There are 8 different ligaments to sprain in your ankle. So, 8 different ways to recover and exercise it back to health.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »

u.got.rekt

• Rep: -3
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
When I rolled my ankle the doctor told me to do ankle exercises like standing on one foot and then slowly going onto your tip toes and back down.

Tyler

• Rep: -4
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
just recently fractured my left ankle, tore ligaments, and muscle and whatnot. I have no choice at this point but to wear braces on both ankles. one more bad roll and I'm looking at major surgery. I understand it makes your ankle weaker and I'm going to have to start doing more ankle exercises if I want to keep skating.     
  I used to wear a brace on my right ankle when I rolled it like last year and found that the brace really didn't mess with my ability to do flip tricks and stuff, it was just a pain in the ass to take on and off.
-Past American Idol Judge

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
I've worn ankle braces on both feet while skating for at least the past year and a half. It's definitely not ideal, and you want to avoid doing that, but my ankles were weakened from repetitive injuries to the point of no return. Make sure you do as many exercises as you can, wear the right shoes and take supplements.

It's always better to skate without ankle braces as they make you rely on them, but if you just straight up can't skate properly without ankle braces with any degree of confidence, then wear them, its fine. I would recommend not wearing them when you're just cruising around and exercising in other ways though, just so your ankles can build confidence in as many ways as possible when you're not having a heavy session.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
honestly the best thing you can do is write the ABC's over and over with said hurt ankle in the morning and at night before you go to bed.
good come sausage

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
honestly the best thing you can do is write the ABC's over and over with said hurt ankle in the morning and at night before you go to bed.

What do you mean? To move the ankle around as if you're writing with it?

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah dood. like pretend you're writing them with your whole foot and your big toe is the point of your pencil. as i'm writing this i'm realizing this is a shitty comparison but whatever.
good come sausage

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah dood. like pretend you're writing them with your whole foot and your big toe is the point of your pencil. as i'm writing this i'm realizing this is a shitty comparison but whatever.

I've been doing that. It's been helpful, especially because it's not a difficult or tiresome exercise to do. The tip toe exercises are obviously much more important, but they take getting out of bed, so it's not as easy to do them religiously. All in all, I feel a lot more confident and with much less pain. My injury doesn't hurt too much, but it's that kind of gross inflamation pain that really ruins my mood.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
My ankle's been fucked for a while, and I seem to re-injure it every weekend. Bought an ankle stabilizer, like the etc, from amazon. I'm returning it. It's a pain in the ass to put on and get a comfort/support balance that it's not even worth my time. Just going to start skating mids and highs again.
you never know about pre-cum 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 06:13:41 AM »
for those of you with ankle problems, if you haven't seen this already, check it out:

Ankle Sprain Fix and Prevention (IMPROVES SQUAT TOO!)

jshnrz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
ive been using an ankle support on my right ever since. i ride goofy - the only thing is sometimes its hard to flick but more steady on landings. ive wrecked my right ankle during high school and ive had trauma.

now, to be able to skate again, i have to put it on everytime i play. works though but uncomfy at times.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »
Guess I'll be looking for some ankle support for a while... I rolled my ankle recently, and while it wasn't a particularly nasty roll, it really made my tendonitis flare up and nag me again. Which makes it hard to do anything with the ankle other than lay low and do damage control. Am I glad I did all of those ankle strengthening exercises... my ankle is almost well now, mostly stable. But the pain is a bitch.