Author Topic: Levi's Skateboarding  (Read 5766 times)

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Levi's Skateboarding
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
If big businesses are going to infiltrate skateboarding, at least Levi's is doing something productive for the community, even if it is just to sell a pair of jeans (that can only be bought at your local skate shop).

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/collections-home/men/skateboarding

Skateboarding in Oakland - Town Park Documentary
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

foley_

• Rep: 7
Re: Levi's Skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »
backing them. the diy campaigns has been great and the work pants and jeans are solid. they are supporting good skaters and pushing local scenes. there's a few videos to add...

Levi's Skateboarding Presents: Spot Delivery Tour
Skateboarding in Pine Ridge - The South Dakota Build Documentary
SKATEBOARDING IN LA PAZ (Full-length Documentary)
Skateboarding in India Full Length Documentary (UNCENSORED)

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
Levis is cool. I like this clip.

Al Partanen: Push & Play

bo golden

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Is Levi's the company Omar is referring to in his new Thrasher interview??

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
Yes

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
gotta say i expected more from the jeans.  got a black pair a couple months ago, they're already faded to hell (only washed a couple times in cold water, hang dry) and i think i'm on the verge of getting a crotch blow out just from riding my bike.  i got them real cheap on sale, but i'd be pretty bummed if i'd paid $80 for these. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
gotta say i expected more from the jeans.  got a black pair a couple months ago, they're already faded to hell (only washed a couple times in cold water, hang dry) and i think i'm on the verge of getting a crotch blow out just from riding my bike.  i got them real cheap on sale, but i'd be pretty bummed if i'd paid $80 for these. 

Black Jeans always look like shit after washing. I'm currently on my second pair of the rigid indigo 511's. The first pair lasted me like two years of being worn roughly 4 times per week, working and skating. The only reason I bought a new pair is because some recent weight loss has left me needing a smaller size. I've found them to be indestructible thus far and I'll continue to buy them. However, I can't speak for the quality of the other styles.

Xtal

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
Used to wear Levi's most of the time growing up. The "loose straight" were perfect, and over the years they've slowly been slimming them down to where they're not loose at all. The relaxed fit must be even tighter. I stick with Dickies, never lets me down. I think the skatepark they built at the Native American reservation is great for the kids, but it's no different than Nike or any corporation coming into skateboarding. They give the illusion that they care when really it's all about increasing their profits.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Used to wear Levi's most of the time growing up. The "loose straight" were perfect, and over the years they've slowly been slimming them down to where they're not loose at all. The relaxed fit must be even tighter. I stick with Dickies, never lets me down. I think the skatepark they built at the Native American reservation is great for the kids, but it's no different than Nike or any corporation coming into skateboarding. They give the illusion that they care when really it's all about increasing their profits.

I hear you, I'm just saying if this shit is gonna happen anyway, they're marketing themselves in the most palatable way. Also, I wear Levi's anyway. The one discerning difference between all these corporations is that Levi's won't sell their skate line anywhere but in actual skate shops, and I'm not talking about Zumiez (more than I can say for HUFhttp://www.zumiez.com/brands/huf.html).

Xtal

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hear you, I'm just saying if this shit is gonna happen anyway, they're marketing themselves in the most palatable way. Also, I wear Levi's anyway. The one discerning difference between all these corporations is that Levi's won't sell their skate line anywhere but in actual skate shops, and I'm not talking about Zumiez (more than I can say for HUFhttp://www.zumiez.com/brands/huf.html).

Nike entered the industry by doing the same thing Levi's is doing. Pledging to only sell in core shops and acting like they care. Once Nike was in, they sold their shit everywhere including Zumiez just like they do now. I've talked to numerous shop owners in the area that dropped their Nike accounts because their business tactics were terrible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:11:46 PM by Xtal »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Saw a couple of pairs of Levis skate jeans and twills at a local marshals. Wasn't to hyped on the feel. After skating in jeans and pants that have stretch in them its hard to go back to something with no stretch and feel stiff. Im hyped they are being productive but the overall product isn't that impressive considering some of their skate jeans are going well close to 80 bucks, not even Volcom jeans are that expensive.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nike entered the industry by doing the same thing Levi's is doing. Pledging to only sell in core shops and acting like they care. Once Nike was in, they sold their shit everywhere including Zumiez just like they do now. I've talked to numerous shop owners in the area that dropped their Nike accounts because their business tactics were terrible.

It's not hard to see that Levi's and Nike, while both being publicly traded/owned, are very different companies.

Xtal

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's not hard to see that Levi's and Nike, while both being publicly traded/owned, are very different companies.

In my eyes they're just corporations in the industry strictly for profits. One may me better or worse than the other but to me it doesn't matter. They don't care about skateboarding and never will.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »

In my eyes they're just corporations in the industry strictly for profits. One may me better or worse than the other but to me it doesn't matter. They don't care about skateboarding and never will.

I think that's the fairest statement on not being down with it. Like I said initially, if corporate is trying to bite our shit, then I appreciate the way Levi's is doing it.

With that said, here's who's behind their program:

http://www.levistrauss.com/unzipped-blog/2013/10/skaters-these-guys/

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Levis did just hire a pretty major ex nike executive,
http://www.mr-mag.com/carrie-ask-joins-levi-strauss-as-president-of-global-retail/

For the record I like both nike and levis

Xtal

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »
For the record I like both nike and levis

Support skater owned if you care about skateboarding.