Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 47772 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #960 on: April 11, 2024, 06:57:51 AM »
Proud of you g.  You’ve got what it takes to make it out the other side.

Today is 1 year for me.  Fucking crazy lol.  From 16-36 I never would considered that a possibility.  Full steam ahead.

Hell ya, player! 1 year is wicked. You calculate how much $ you haven’t spent yet?

@Velcro Wallet

1% is a biker gang/MC thing, outlaws, HA, etc. pretty lame but maybe the dude has some cool mechanical knowledge or stories about exploits that could help lass time

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #961 on: April 11, 2024, 08:17:48 AM »
Any cost savings were immediately spent elsewhere so I’m broker than when I started tbh.   No complaints here though.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #962 on: April 11, 2024, 09:31:01 AM »
Thanks @Sleazy and others for the support and encouragement on the job front! Means a lot.

Always stoked when I see this thread get bumped back up.

Bought myself a gaming PC as a “happy 100 days without booze” gift, coming in soon. What’s crazy is it cost me about 6 weeks of typical drinking costs. Fuck did drinking add up.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #963 on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:46 AM »
@Coastal Fever congrats mane!

and hats off to everyone else keepin it goin

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #964 on: April 13, 2024, 05:01:53 PM »

Bought myself a gaming PC as a “happy 100 days without booze” gift, coming in soon. What’s crazy is it cost me about 6 weeks of typical drinking costs. Fuck did drinking add up.

Noice!! Might as well enjoy the extra money and buy something you want.
I cringe when I think of all the money I've spent on booze, since I was like, 17.

I've been three months last weekend no booze.
The sugar cravings are subsiding, and I have lost some weight, 5lbs. My wife says I look slimmer, so that gave my ego a boost!

It is lame to say this, but I am proud of myself as well.

Last night wife, me, and my daughter went to the local microbrewery for supper. They have a bbq pulled pork pineapple pizza that is super good that my wife likes a lot. We don't eat out much anymore because restaurant eating is so fucking expensive now, but she had a absolutely terrible week at work that emotionally destroyed here but eventually turned out ok, so it was kind of like a bitter sweet celebration the week.

I was so, so tempted to order a beer. (One won't hurt, right?!)
My head was literally vibrating inside with the thought of having a beer. It was consuming me all supper.
But... I didn't. I fought the temptation, and mainly though was how shitty and bloated it would end up feeling washing down the pizza with some beer, and also not being able to stop at one.

It's a small victory, but a victory none the less. I'll take it.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #965 on: April 13, 2024, 05:26:55 PM »
Good job man.  Those are actually the biggest victories.  The moments where it makes so much sense, and is so tempting to have a drink, but talking yourself out of it.  Huge W.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #966 on: April 13, 2024, 10:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I cringe when I think of all the money I've spent on booze, since I was like, 17.

The sugar cravings are subsiding, and I have lost some weight, 5lbs. My wife says I look slimmer, so that gave my ego a boost!

Last night wife, me, and my daughter went to the local microbrewery for supper. They have a bbq pulled pork pineapple pizza that is super good that my wife likes a lot. We don't eat out much anymore because restaurant eating is so fucking expensive now, but she had a absolutely terrible week at work that emotionally destroyed here but eventually turned out ok, so it was kind of like a bitter sweet celebration the week.

My head was literally vibrating inside with the thought of having a beer. It was consuming me all supper.
But... I didn't. I fought the temptation, and mainly though was how shitty and bloated it would end up feeling washing down the pizza with some beer, and also not being able to stop at one.

This is a huge achievement dude. But pulled pork pineapple pizza? Come on dude that‘s an abomination :-)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ticallion Stallion

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #967 on: April 14, 2024, 08:18:00 AM »
I was the worst drunk/druggy. Always getting into stupid shit. My former best got into some serious shit and ended up in prison 25/life. I was literally supposed to be there with him when it happened but decided not to go kick it.

But that didn’t stop me from continuing on my trajectory. Ended up leaving Cali to start anew in ATX but I did the same shit. Not until I met my future wife did I start changing and then I got married and had my son.

At this point I was only drinking but not for long, the guilt of leaving my wife to watch a newborn by herself because I was hungover pushed me to make the best decision of my life. Got back on the board and haven’t missed a moment with my son since that day! 493 days sober🤟

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #968 on: April 14, 2024, 04:51:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

way to go man. actually that's about as big as they get victory wise. for me there was the temptation for a while in restaurant which got replaced by boredom and now i can go out to a restaurant and it feels normal. took like 8 months though. temptation for me was probably at around 4-5 month mark though.

how did the morning after go for you? i bet it was epic

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #969 on: April 18, 2024, 11:29:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

way to go man. actually that's about as big as they get victory wise. for me there was the temptation for a while in restaurant which got replaced by boredom and now i can go out to a restaurant and it feels normal. took like 8 months though. temptation for me was probably at around 4-5 month mark though.

The morning after I felt great, besides all the salt I ate the night before.

It was good because I had a side job to do to make some extra cash, and I didn't wake up all shitty and stuffed up from the beer and hops. Felt great!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #970 on: April 18, 2024, 12:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The morning after I felt great, besides all the salt I ate the night before.

It was good because I had a side job to do to make some extra cash, and I didn't wake up all shitty and stuffed up from the beer and hops. Felt great!

I almost forgot about feeling stuffed up in the sinuses after drinking. Shit was awful, as was the constant neck pain from passing out in weird positions and being dehydrated.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #971 on: April 18, 2024, 02:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I noticed the financial literacy increase with sobriety as well and usually end up treating myself (more on the food end than anything)

Not sure if it counts but I usually cook with my beer for my deep oil fried fish and chicken recipes...I dont drink any of it. I read the alcohol is completely burned off in the oil but others say it does not, I taste it but there is no buzzes from eating meals cooked with them...thoughts from the pals on cooking with alcohol.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #972 on: April 18, 2024, 05:34:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I noticed the financial literacy increase with sobriety as well and usually end up treating myself (more on the food end than anything)

Not sure if it counts but I usually cook with my beer for my deep oil fried fish and chicken recipes...I dont drink any of it. I read the alcohol is completely burned off in the oil but others say it does not, I taste it but there is no buzzes from eating meals cooked with them...thoughts from the pals on cooking with alcohol.

I don't let a proper beer batter, or red/white wine pan deglaze stop me from my sobriety.

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #973 on: April 18, 2024, 06:30:35 PM »
Yeah, that stuff burns off and definitely adds a dpleoth of richness to the flavor of cooking.

My mom cooks like crazy with wine. She used to use that as a way to sneak drinks when she was supposed to have quit. She did a 60 day inpatient rehab a few years ago and I don’t think she has had a drink since. She still cooks with wine like crazy so kinda worry about it occasionally. Ugggh that was such a difficult time dealing with her alcoholism. I stopped and my dad around the same time as she was in the inpatient treatment. Shit just caused so many problems for everyone it wasn’t worth it anymore. My bro still drinks everyday though unfortunately. Called him the other night on a Tuesday and was just thinking “dang dude, you sound wasted”.

hmmoookay

• Rep: 71
  • content nausea
« Reply #974 on: April 18, 2024, 06:46:39 PM »
Yeah, that stuff burns off and definitely adds a dpleoth of richness to the flavor of cooking.

My mom cooks like crazy with wine. She used to use that as a way to sneak drinks when she was supposed to have quit. She did a 60 day inpatient rehab a few years ago and I don’t think she has had a drink since. She still cooks with wine like crazy so kinda worry about it occasionally. Ugggh that was such a difficult time dealing with her alcoholism. I stopped and my dad around the same time as she was in the inpatient treatment. Shit just caused so many problems for everyone it wasn’t worth it anymore. My bro still drinks everyday though unfortunately. Called him the other night on a Tuesday and was just thinking “dang dude, you sound wasted”.

I was never one to cook with booze, just drink it alongside cooking, but I agree I wouldn't let it stop me from enjoying some good beer batter fried fish these days. I did toss a whole pint of some kind of icecream last summer though because it was a tiramisu flavor and as soon as I took a spoonful I could taste whatever coffee liquor they used. Like it was real on the nose. Not fun, mostly bummed I wasted $7. Better that than it triggering me back off the wagon.

____

I've had drinking dreams two nights in a row this week and it's really kind of fucked me up in the morning. I've had them in the past, but two nights in a row is kinda weird. It's usually the same scenario most times too; sneaking drinks or trying to hide my drinking (doing a piss poor job at that), just like I did in real life. The exception being in the dreams when my bottle gets discovered or someone recognizes I'm drinking they're really accepting of it, almost excited? It's really weird. I've been having a rough time at work and spend a lot of free time lately applying for new jobs so maybe my subconscious is recognizing I'm seeking approval or something idk.

I have absolutely no desire to drink, I just want to make that clear. But, I do want to point out these things on the off chance someone else is going through something similar. It can definitely be a strange thing to assess when you wake up.