Author Topic: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala  (Read 41989 times)

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 02:04:09 AM »
Quote from: alecjahr  link=topic=88544.msg2411724#msg2411724 date=1448845825
Boulala should've never been pro. That being said I loved that dude when I was younger.

Shouldn't have been pro? pfft get over yourself. In addition to ripping on a board (dude kickflipped and switch ollied a 15 stair in the mid 90's when he was around 16 y.o) he has been one of the most marketable skaters in history. Not making him pro would have been a most colossal fuck up.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 03:00:56 AM »
Calling Ali a murderer is lame and I'm sure not what Shane or his family would want.

Ali almost died himself. A stupid accident but a similar situation many of us have been in and survived it.

Stoked to see his EL. Should be interesting.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
I for one am glad we are getting an Ali later'd. Also, I hate the title of the show.
Ali showed class in accepting the charges and the fact that Shane's family didn't press for a harsh sentence or different charges shows that they knew what he was like and acknowledge the fact that he was at least somewhat culpable in his decisions on the day in question.
I think we can all agree it was a horrific incident and one that will not be forgotten easily, one young man's life was taken away and another's was changed irreversibly (partially for the good but mostly in a negative way given the mental and physical trauma. not to mention the fact that he can no longer continue his profession).
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

jomeara1

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
They were both in the wrong.  But like other people said on here, Ali faced the consequences and took full responsibility for his actions.  It's such a heavy situation, but the best and only thing Ali can do from this point on is to just accept it and move on with his life.  From now on, instead of focusing on the negative about it, we should all just remember how great of a person/ skater Shane was and know that he is in a good, safe place right now.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
At least after all these years of seeing him drinking in vids, the guy is actually sober.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 06:04:34 PM »
Noone else in history stuck a 25 stair Ollie. The Lyon spot is sacred, if anyone lands it they are an asshole

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
oldmanepic is like 100 posts deep and is actually one of the worst slap posters in recent history
[close]

aaaaaaand ... he's gone
[close]

better to burn out than to fade away

Hey, Hey, My, My.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
This will be heavy.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:05 PM »
Ali and Shane were great mates. Ali has paid for his actions in more ways than any of us will ever know.. On a positive note, ive wanted an Ali episode forever! Can't wait for this to drop. The guy that said he's one of the most marketable skaters ever is dead right, Ali might not have been the most skilled skater ever, but he charged and looked original while doing it. Can anyone truly watch his Sorry part and not get hyped?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »
"not the most skilled"    I dont know who is the most skilled is but it seems like people are trying to paint some weird picture where Ali wasnt that good. Thats not what I remember.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

shark tits

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »
"not the most skilled"    I dont know who is the most skilled is but it seems like people are trying to paint some weird picture where Ali wasnt that good. Thats not what I remember.
not only was he real wicked fucking good but am i the only one who remembers that interview where he stated that he started skating as a regular foot then he quit and when he came back to skating at the behest of a friend, an older cousin or whoever, he was passing himself off as a goofy foot. had me tricked.
i wasn't there but the way i understood it was he juts cruised and bombed hills in the buffalo stance and all the tricks came later as a goofy boy.
anyone else remember that bit of trivia?
not much of a story but once upon a time i was on a payphone on stanyan st in sf [i think that's the name of the end of haight st by golden gate park?] and i'm talking to my friend's memere [rip memere] and just then ali boulala walks by in a flip shirt w/ all black tight pants and some kinda coat w/ a girl on each arm. i'm like 'hold on a second' and just kinda marveled at the spectacle then was like 'hey i'm sorry to hear about all your complaints but can you put rob on the phone?'

jomeara1

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »

I think some people thought his style was a little "too sketchy" to appreciate and maybe some might thought his choice of fashion was a little distracting but those were the things I really liked about him.  He's truly one of a kind and anyone who was in the original sorry video is a legend in my book.  That switch ollie he did down that 14 stair in his really sorry part is gold.

kingpinuser

• Rep: 54
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not only was he real wicked fucking good but am i the only one who remembers that interview where he stated that he started skating as a regular foot then he quit and when he came back to skating at the behest of a friend, an older cousin or whoever, he was passing himself off as a goofy foot. had me tricked.
i wasn't there but the way i understood it was he juts cruised and bombed hills in the buffalo stance and all the tricks came later as a goofy boy.
anyone else remember that bit of trivia?
not much of a story but once upon a time i was on a payphone on stanyan st in sf [i think that's the name of the end of haight st by golden gate park?] and i'm talking to my friend's memere [rip memere] and just then ali boulala walks by in a flip shirt w/ all black tight pants and some kinda coat w/ a girl on each arm. i'm like 'hold on a second' and just kinda marveled at the spectacle then was like 'hey i'm sorry to hear about all your complaints but can you put rob on the phone?'

I remember reading that ( or a version of it ) in his TWS check out back in...hmmm 96 i think it was as i remember being in grand 9 and having the mag at high school.

I Don't think this was posted on Slap, if you don't mind subtitles give it a watch...nice little warm up to his epicly episode.

Harem

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:20:23 AM by Harem »

rideflannel

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
Wish Ali all the best. I couldn't imagine what it's like to have to live with all that. I'm starting to wonder if Dustin Dollin will ever wise up a little. He starting to look fucking rough as shit for as young as he is.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
This one killed me

"Fast forward to a year or so ago. I posted a photo on my Instagram of Stevie Williams, where Stevie said "I want to do an episode your show, but I don't want any of that depressing bullshit..." Ali Boulala commented on the photo, "I'll do an episode, but I'm sure it will be all depressing."

Also Dollin casually drinking beer while talking about Ali...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:39:50 PM by Tufty »

g.i.s.m.

• Rep: 34
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
him trying to skate again was fucking heartbreaking - guy lost fucking everything. maybe one of the stronger sk8-docu redemption stories (duane peters you are not shit). ali was definitely one of my favorite skaters growing up, considering sorry/really sorry dvd and subject to change were my first videos. also really crazy to think he hasnt been in the states since 99 maybe? never realized... kind of shocked to hear tbat

did the dustin dollin stuff seem slightly in bad taste?

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
that was extremely moving, and i'm so glad that he's sober and has some semblance of positivity.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
That was great. Ali was my favorite when I was starting out, I even bought a few pairs of his Osiris shoe just because it was his. It makes me happy that he's found sobriety and accepted what happened. I couldn't imagine living with that guilt, but it's inspiring to know that he can carry on with his life and take accountability for his actions. The honesty about drug use (especially the "crack, it was crack" aside in the drug buying story) was refreshing. I like that this was just a no bullshit, in depth look at Ali's life, like Epicly Later'd should be.

not editing out Dustin sipping his beer after him saying "that's the thing with drunk driving" or whatever was powerful.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »
The most powerful film about a person I have ever seen. I wont lie, I cried when he talked about the accident and at the end when you see him push. Patrick you made one of the greatest documentaries on a person I have ever seen.

jomeara1

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
Wow, amazing episode.  Thank you Pat!

I am kinda surprised that they didn't blur out the youtube names of those comments. 

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
captivating.

well done.

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
This is a tremendous story. It's refreshing to hear a perspective that is something besides "Fuck Ali". I hope all is well with him, and I hope he can motivate other people to rid their addictions.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
Wow.

That kind of took the wind out of me.  What a heartbreaking story.  I hope for nothing but the best for him and his continued sobriety and that each day is a bit easier for him.

The narrative had deep content. Didn't anticipate it striking a cord at all but it did. Never really understood this man's deal, but as I hear him speak now I wish the best for him on his sobriety.

jomeara1

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
him trying to skate again was fucking heartbreaking - guy lost fucking everything. maybe one of the stronger sk8-docu redemption stories (duane peters you are not shit). ali was definitely one of my favorite skaters growing up, considering sorry/really sorry dvd and subject to change were my first videos. also really crazy to think he hasnt been in the states since 99 maybe? never realized... kind of shocked to hear tbat

did the dustin dollin stuff seem slightly in bad taste?

I do remember seeing him in the Flip Feast tour videos and that was around 05-07, and it was in the US.  Maybe he forgot about that?

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
This as completely changed the mood of my day. Once again, a wonderful job done by Mr. O'dell and a big thank you for Ali to opening himself to the public. This episode is tied with the Card's one IMHO !

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
To see where this show has gone from the humble beginning is truly amazing. What an incredible piece of work that was.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
That was moving.  I hope it puts to shame the childish nonsense that went on earlier in this thread about Ali never deserving forgiveness.  

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3316
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »
All of the best to Ali.

Honesty in the face of tragedy, particularly something avoidable, is such an incredible thing to behold.

A large percentage of people are simply lucky that they haven't hurt or killed a loved one or stranger because of a stupid decision they've made. Ali was extremely unlucky.

Thanks for this Pat. Wonderful work.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
I was a huge fan of both Ali and Shane and still remember how bummed I was when I found out about their accident. Watching this and seeing the face of this tragedy makes it all the more heartbreaking. Even though there it's hard to get a happy ending from this, I'm glad to get some closure and I'm glad to see Ali doing well on his own.