Author Topic: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala  (Read 41987 times)

shark tits

Re: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
holy shit that was fucking heavy! they could make a 2 hour movie based offa that. in the movie at the end he'll have regained his skating skills but as for a story those sad flip attempts were better. i don't wish that on ali, it's just more dramatic and if episode 3 hadn't been overwhelmingly sad his skating might've made me want to cry.
couple things, oldmanepic focused just in time. humanizing the demonized guy on the youtube video really makes you feel like a piece of shit for blithely [or bitterly] calling ali a killer. or it makes me feel like you're a piece of shit and you prolly should as well.
is it just me or does geoff rowley display inappropriate affect? kind of smiling through some dialogue that doesn't fit well w/ a smile [not to mention his handling of the screwdriver story]. is there a sociopath spectrum? cause i think he might be on it. as a slap pal who gets a nut check i am qualified to hand out diagnoses and i'm the king of inappropriate affect.
dustin didn't have any rock bottom so i don't think he should be expected to quit drinking. if he'd grabbed the wheel after that swig it'd be different but he seems to be the 1 in a 1000 successful drunks but that was definitely an awkward moment.
one of the best ELs, keep it up, odell!

French manicure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
That was one of the heaviest things I've watched in a long time.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
^^^^Yeah, the youtube comments shown really should hit close to home with people on this board. I am glad they touched on that though. Not advocating either or side but it's just one of those things that come with the territory of this generation and how we love to voice our opinions on social media.

A couple of things I noticed.....this had a heavy soundtrack to it in the sense of the mood it provokes. I think I read it somewhere on here but I think it was Cardiel?....that Patrick actually added a background soundtrack that was provided for the other episodes. The whole thing just felt sad from the get go which of course is what they were going for. Also I noticed the visuals being a lot better for this one as well just from the angles and compositions of just Ali walking. It just felt a lot more professional. And the thing that made me the saddest was seeing him skate at the end. Just seeing people I've idolized as pros go from the best to not even knowing how to skate at all. That was a total bummer.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
Probably the only episode that's really resonated with me that much since Cardiel.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
i hope dustin doesnt get sober lol, talkin bout drinkin and driving then sips beer hahaha fuck
ali was a hood child favorite
great series happy that release these on same day now
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:14:55 PM by nino brown »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »
damn that was heavy...

jomeara1

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
holy shit that was fucking heavy! they could make a 2 hour movie based offa that. in the movie at the end he'll have regained his skating skills but as for a story those sad flip attempts were better. i don't wish that on ali, it's just more dramatic and if episode 3 hadn't been overwhelmingly sad his skating might've made me want to cry.
couple things, oldmanepic focused just in time. humanizing the demonized guy on the youtube video really makes you feel like a piece of shit for blithely [or bitterly] calling ali a killer. or it makes me feel like you're a piece of shit and you prolly should as well.
is it just me or does geoff rowley display inappropriate affect? kind of smiling through some dialogue that doesn't fit well w/ a smile [not to mention his handling of the screwdriver story]. is there a sociopath spectrum? cause i think he might be on it. as a slap pal who gets a nut check i am qualified to hand out diagnoses and i'm the king of inappropriate affect.
dustin didn't have any rock bottom so i don't think he should be expected to quit drinking. if he'd grabbed the wheel after that swig it'd be different but he seems to be the 1 in a 1000 successful drunks but that was definitely an awkward moment.

I thought that too at first.  But you never know, maybe before that moment they were talking about a funny story that involved Shane or just something positive about him that just kept a smile on Geoff's face. 

I almost cried when watching Ali attempt a kickflip  :'(

No1knows

• Rep: -43
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
Wow, amazing episode.  Thank you Pat!

I am kinda surprised that they didn't blur out the youtube names of those comments. 

Yeah same, i'm pretty stoked about that though.
Fucking great documentary. A+.....
hi.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
kind of overwhelmed after that, don't even know what to say, I hope making this film and getting it out there helps him let go of some of the pain, he doesn't deserve to feel that way. Not sure if he would ever lurk SLAP, but if you see this somehow, I wish you all the best.

jomeara1

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote

I am kinda surprised that they didn't blur out the youtube names of those comments. 
[close]

Yeah I like that he exposed all of them like that..but I wonder if he is legally allowed to do that?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought that too at first.  But you never know, maybe before that moment they were talking about a funny story that involved Shane or just something positive about him that just kept a smile on Geoff's face. 

In regards to Dustin, it looks like they interviewed him the same day talking about Spanky as well. I am sure all these guys had prior conversations before getting into the hectic stuff.

Sorry was one of the first videos I've seen that met the hype. I kind of wanted more interviews by the OG Flip guys like Arto, Appleyard and Bastien.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I like that he exposed all of them like that..but I wonder if he is legally allowed to do that?

It's not the first time that I see someone doing something similar, I wouldn't surprised if youtube specifically mentions that anyone can quote a post made by a youtuber.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In regards to Dustin, it looks like they interviewed him the same day talking about Spanky as well. I am sure all these guys had prior conversations before getting into the hectic stuff.

Sorry was one of the first videos I've seen that met the hype. I kind of wanted more interviews by the OG Flip guys like Arto, Appleyard and Bastien.

Me too but I can't imagine all the hassle it would mean to get a hold of everyone, Tom Penny impression on a young 16 years old Ali clone would of been gold !

A MAN

• Rep: 68
    • SKATE TIT avatar image
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
Not being flippant but it was the kickflip attempts in part 4 that hit me the most emotionally. I kept hoping he still had skating in some form. That was a punch in gut seeing that.

jomeara1

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought that too at first.  But you never know, maybe before that moment they were talking about a funny story that involved Shane or just something positive about him that just kept a smile on Geoff's face.  

I almost cried when watching Ali attempt a kickflip  :'(.  
[close]

Exactly.  As for the OG flip dudes, I would have loved to see more of them as well, but I have a strong feeling that Apples and Arto might be bitter towards Ali after all of that, could be wrong though.  I am kind of surprised they didn't have Penny in it.

EDIT:  Its strange that Alex Chalmers is never mentioned in any of these things with the Flip dudes involved.  You'll hear them mentioning Rune, Geoff, Arto etc but never Chalmers..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:01:38 PM by Johnny »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
Thank you Ali and Pat. This was one of the most meaningful things I've watched that had anything to do with skateboarding.

Keep it up with the sobriety and hopefully you can find more meaning and purpose to this life the more of it you live each day.

It made me hopeful at the end that you're pointed in the right direction as you keep making the effort of taking the right steps out of the darkness.

What happened was really tragic, but it would be a complete tragedy if you never manage to find your way out of the dark.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
That was good shit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I took it as him not knowing that side of those guys as well as some of the other interviewees.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
I've never been a fan of Ali or the Pissdrunx/Baker thing, and I wasn't planning on watching this... but i'm super glad i did.

Honestly have a newfound respect for the guy and that was extremely well done, O'Dell should win an award of some kind for this.

All the best luck to Ali in the future (awesome dog, too).

Degobrah

• Rep: -58
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
oldmanepic is like 100 posts deep and is actually one of the worst slap posters in recent history
[close]

aaaaaaand ... he's gone
[close]

better to burn out than to fade away
[close]

Hey, Hey, My, My.
man i thought  my old account was the worst in recent history, i used to post some dumbass shit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
Don't let your post count fool you. You're maintaining quality.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought that too at first.� But you never know, maybe before that moment they were talking about a funny story that involved Shane or just something positive about him that just kept a smile on Geoff's face.�

People react to these kind of things differently. Especially after almost a decade. Dude has probably talked about the subject a million times already.

This was one of the most touching documentaries I've seen, and it didn't have any corny overly dramatic bullshit trying to make it seem like anything else than what it was. Hats of to O'dell for making this masterpiece.

Kinda felt like there was some people missing from it, but I guess they wanted to keep the focus mainly on Ali rather than make it a Flip episode.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:57 PM »
Damn. That was sad. I feel like the last time I heard Ali Boulala's name come up was when the whole accident went down. After that it was just: "Shane's dead, Ali's going to jail"

Definitely good to see him at least getting out there and rolling around again. I've definitely been involved with some dumb drunk shit involving skateboarders / partying and am glad no one was ever killed during the process. You don't realize how quickly shit can go bad until it's too late.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »
Pure gold. Odell outdid himself with this one. Can't even think of where they could go with another skater after the magnitude of these episodes. Very well done. Nothing but the best for Ali in his future endeavors

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
How eerie was that session with Shane, Ali, Lewis Marnell, and Jake Duncombe?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »
leaving in the shot of dustin drinking was appropriate. it would be patronizing and insincere to have him acting sober and uber serious. he still drinks and parties. that's who he is and that's the scene ali came out of.

era

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
^^^^Yeah, the youtube comments shown really should hit close to home with people on this board. I am glad they touched on that though. Not advocating either or side but it's just one of those things that come with the territory of this generation and how we love to voice our opinions on social media.

A couple of things I noticed.....this had a heavy soundtrack to it in the sense of the mood it provokes. I think I read it somewhere on here but I think it was Cardiel?....that Patrick actually added a background soundtrack that was provided for the other episodes. The whole thing just felt sad from the get go which of course is what they were going for. Also I noticed the visuals being a lot better for this one as well just from the angles and compositions of just Ali walking. It just felt a lot more professional. And the thing that made me the saddest was seeing him skate at the end. Just seeing people I've idolized as pros go from the best to not even knowing how to skate at all. That was a total bummer.

Naw, him rolling down that hill at the end was awesome. After I haven't skated for a long time i'm rusty as fuck and feel like shit because of the whole "comparison to my former self", but once you get rolling it's the small things that bring back that sense of accomplishment and joy. He doesn't need to be pro again, he just needs to be stoked.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
Don't drink and drive you dumb fucks. How is alcohol even legal let alone marketed, everywhere, to children?

That little "please drink responsibly" small print isn't fucking good enough. They don't give a fuck about you, you can't advertise tobacco anymore why can you still advertise drinking? So ridiculous how alcohol companies do their business, they are pieces of shit I hope they all get cancer.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2015, 07:22:21 PM »
That struck way deeper than I think I was ready for, but nevertheless I am really happy to see Ali still has a sense of humor,
(Ex. when he looked at the camera and was like, "crack... it was crack.")
And also that he is a really down to earth smart guy.
But yeah, that was one of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen for sure.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »
Really well done.  I was definitely a fan of Ali and the while flip team.
I can't imagine having to deal with the guilt of killing your friend.
That was seriously heavy.