Author Topic: Vans Insoles  (Read 10707 times)

ZEBRA

Vans Insoles
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:55:04 PM »
Anyone know what the best way is to take out the insoles that are in their classic shoes?? Like the Old School, Authentic, etc.??

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Vans Insoles
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
In the past i've walked around in them for a day or so to let the glue soften up from heat and then butter knife / rip it out combo

ZEBRA

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:31:44 AM »
In the past i've walked around in them for a day or so to let the glue soften up from heat and then butter knife / rip it out combo

It's winter, so not sure how well that's going to work. That is a good idea though.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:39 AM »
OP, you are a kind and thoughtful individual for actually making a thread asking how to do it, instead of just botching up the job as yours truly. I tried to remove mine and just ended up fucking up the insoles on my pair of slip-ons by being unpatient. The glue is strong and the material can be quite soft. It flaked out like styrofoam, too, which was the worst part. I had to scratch them off like a rash. The insoles were pretty much useless by them, so I chucked them in the trash and took it as a lesson.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's winter, so not sure how well that's going to work. That is a good idea though.

if you're sitting by a fire/heater, kick your feet up for a bit then check the glue, works roughly the same way

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:43 AM »
use a hairdryer

micky682

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Vans should sell their Ultra Cush insoles.

ZEBRA

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
I've seen videos of people putting their shoes under extreme heat, like a boiling pot of water, to take off midsoles, etc. etc.

I'm concerned that putting them next to a lot of heat will make the outsole pull away from the upper.

I tried looking on YouTube, but no luck. Guess I'm going to have to just go for it.

Will be picking up a couple pairs soon. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

skate_spbr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:17 AM »

ZEBRA

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
Hairdryer/heat gun sounds like the best option. Concentrate it into just the insole.

Now, to figure out what insoles I wanna swap the stock ones out with...

Thinking about some of those moldable Footprint ones, but not too sure yet... I might just hit a Finish Line or a Footlocker, cause I know they got some good insoles. My whole thing is, I have a high arch, so I need something with good support.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:13 AM »
Never removed the insoles for some vans but I have for a pair of chucks before.
You just gotta pick a place to lift up and pull with all your might, and hope it comes out in one piece. With one shoe it came out in one piece, but it took a bit of pulling. With the other shoe some foam was left stuck to it. You just gotta chisel it out with a spoon or something; I used a potato peeler. Definitely not difficult, but real time consuming and and requires patience.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
You just gotta pick a place to lift up and pull with all your might, and hope it comes out in one piece. With one shoe it came out in one piece, but it took a bit of pulling. With the other shoe some foam was left stuck to it. You just gotta chisel it out with a spoon or something; I used a potato peeler. Definitely not difficult, but real time consuming and and requires patience.

That's how I ruined mine, don't do that! For Vans, at least.

Clang

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
Anyone else noticed that the vans pro insoles have been declining in quality as of late? They used to be three different gels: Blue for forefoot, Orange for heel, and black everywhere else. Then they changed the colour and got rid of the forefoot gel and kept the heel, and now, its all just one gel? What are they doing? you'd figure vans would try to increase they quality of their shoes to compete with Nike, Adidas, NB# etc...

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's how I ruined mine, don't do that! For Vans, at least.
You sure you just didn't do it wrong? That method worked fine for me and a lot of other people who I've talked to who used the same method. Even when there were chunks of foam left over they still weren't that hard to chisel out.

ZEBRA

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
Anyone else noticed that the vans pro insoles have been declining in quality as of late? They used to be three different gels: Blue for forefoot, Orange for heel, and black everywhere else. Then they changed the colour and got rid of the forefoot gel and kept the heel, and now, its all just one gel? What are they doing? you'd figure vans would try to increase they quality of their shoes to compete with Nike, Adidas, NB# etc...

They were all blue for awhile, but still had different gels. Now I think it's just all one piece. Kind of disappointing, but they're still really good. I love them. Underrated, in my opinion.

All companies do this. They come out with something awesome and wait for everyone to notice and trust the product and start buying them, and then they slowly start cutting cost and making them cheaper. But, because everyone trust's it and it has the hype, they still keep selling and the company has a higher profit margin.

Can't really do this with hardgoods, like boards, trucks, etc. But shoes/clothes?? Yup. Every company does it.

I had a  pair of the Stage 4's when they first came out. First run, and they were amazing and lasted forever. I had a pair like a year later and they were still good, but didn't last a month, it seemed like.

Nike does it, Vans does it, everyone does it.

fangen

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
You cunts are retards. Bend your shoe a few times the wrong way (heal to toe). Now use your finger tips to gently pry the sole, starting around the edges first, working towards the toe area. Takes 5 mins max.
or...
Yank it like a dumb cunt and spend the next hour scraping bits of foam out of the toe area.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:05:55 PM by fangen »

Xtal

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »

Finally, someone else brings it up. I've tried all their different Pro Classics and the Rowley Solo's. The old insole used to have a nice gel circle at the heel, now it's all one solid foam insole. It's better than the average Core Classic, but they don't offer much more protection. Then, I noticed in the Rowley Solo's the same "Ultracush HD" label is on top of the insole but if you take it out it's crap compared to the other pro models.

And now...all their new pro models are slimmed down to the point where the shoes look and feel terrible. Next time you're in a shop that has an old model of an Era Pro, look at it next to a new one or better yet try them on. They only did this to the pro models, not the classics. Failure.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »

And now...all their new pro models are slimmed down to the point where the shoes look and feel terrible. Next time you're in a shop that has an old model of an Era Pro, look at it next to a new one or better yet try them on. They only did this to the pro models, not the classics. Failure.

I've got a mountain of older Era Pros from a few years back all new in boxes and yeah, the insoles have changed completely, the gel center thing was way better, now its this neon blue foam crap that packs outs quick.

I'd still swap them out for lunarlon 99% of the time though.

Xtal

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've got a mountain of older Era Pros from a few years back all new in boxes and yeah, the insoles have changed completely, the gel center thing was way better, now its this neon blue foam crap that packs outs quick.

I'd still swap them out for lunarlon 99% of the time though.

Right on man, aren't Era Pro's just the perfect skate shoe? Most of the time I wouldn't even lace them and they were perfect as slip ons, yet never fell off my feet. You should post a pic of your collection. I had a couple dope colorways including some Cardiels that I probably shouldn't have skated.

JollyOli

• Rep: 5
  • old as dirt
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:07 AM »
Warm them up just a bit, like getting your toes nice and cosy next to the fire then take it slow, there are always big splodges of glue in there, especially if there are overlaying thread ends.
Be prepared to take some time and at all costs try to avoid the dreaded "Vandruff".
Pea Suit.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 08:17:44 AM »
The drop in design quality on the recent Ultracush HD insoles has me bummed.

I already stopped buying any other vans... now they're pinching me out of the stuff I was willing to pay extra for?

Fuck

Xtal

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
The drop in design quality on the recent Ultracush HD insoles has me bummed.

I already stopped buying any other vans... now they're pinching me out of the stuff I was willing to pay extra for?

Fuck

Hopefully a rep from Vans reads this thread. They need to get their shit straight.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »
Era Pro's just the perfect skate shoe.
You should post a pic of your collection.

Stuck at work so i'll have to just have to use this as a guide but theres about 15 pairs of this colourway
I got some of the first Cards pair, that i'll never skate & quite a few pairs of the Barbee 46 pros that came out not to long ago

Once they're broken in, they're the best form fitting skate shoe i've ever had, been through probably 15-20 pairs since they came out.

Xtal

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Era Pro's just the perfect skate shoe.
You should post a pic of your collection.
[close]

Stuck at work so i'll have to just have to use this as a guide but theres about 15 pairs of this colourway
I got some of the first Cards pair, that i'll never skate & quite a few pairs of the Barbee 46 pros that came out not to long ago

Once they're broken in, they're the best form fitting skate shoe i've ever had, been through probably 15-20 pairs since they came out.

Nice. I found the trick to breaking them in right out of the box was folding them and twisting them in every direction to stretch them out. Once I put my foot in, it was on. However, until Vans goes back to the original fit I won't be buying them.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 03:07:36 AM »
Nice. I found the trick to breaking them in right out of the box was folding them and twisting them in every direction to stretch them out. Once I put my foot in, it was on.

Yeah, insole out, heel to toe both ways and a little twist, its like slippers after that. I've got one pair of the latest version and yeah they feel far less comfortable and really lower profile wise then older versions, i'll just alternate between my stack of old ones and suede cons for now

Xtal

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 06:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice. I found the trick to breaking them in right out of the box was folding them and twisting them in every direction to stretch them out. Once I put my foot in, it was on.
[close]

Yeah, insole out, heel to toe both ways and a little twist, its like slippers after that. I've got one pair of the latest version and yeah they feel far less comfortable and really lower profile wise then older versions, i'll just alternate between my stack of old ones and suede cons for now

Slippers indeed! There's two new "46 Pro" colorways that just came out in a blue/white and red/white colorway. The skateshop owner near me showed how just for these two shoes they kept the normal wide trim so if you want to pick up new ones they'll fit how they should. They're also all suede too, no canvas anywhere. The suede cons chucks are amazing shoes, I had them awhile back but once I found out Nike owned them, I donated them to Goodwill.

skate_spbr

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »
Hairdryer/heat gun sounds like the best option. Concentrate it into just the insole.

Thinking about some of those moldable Footprint ones, but not too sure yet... I might just hit a Finish Line or a Footlocker, cause I know they got some good insoles. My whole thing is, I have a high arch, so I need something with good support.
I'm skating footprint gamechanger insoles, they've been pretty good for me. I feel like I'm less sore then before after I skate. Since you have to heat them and it molds to your feet, I think it would be good for any thy of archs

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm skating footprint gamechanger insoles, they've been pretty good for me. I feel like I'm less sore then before after I skate. Since you have to heat them and it molds to your feet, I think it would be good for any thy of archs

Did you buy them here in Brazil? If yes, where and for how much?