Author Topic: Boston // Cambridge // Somerville Mass.  (Read 8610 times)

themoustache

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Boston // Cambridge // Somerville Mass.
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Hey dudes.  After an extended stay down in California and Ecuador this last year, I recently moved (back) to the East Coast and am settled out in Cambridge, Harvard Sq side.  Since I got here in August-ish, I've been hustling at work and between the move, my girlfriend's school schedule, and my M-F work life, have had next to no time to get the wood plank, four wheels rolling. 

This, as you can imagine, has led to some insane levels of cabin fever, and now that I've finally got all my shit in order, I realize I'm totally in the fucking dark about spots // area vibes.  I know Orchard out in Allston, and Max Hesh out in Davis, but don't really know much else.  As an aside, I randomly bumped into Goku a while back, but dude's out in JP and we haven't had a chance to connect up aside from some chance run-ins.  Anyone got some insight, recommendations, or feel like a game of SKATE and a 6 pack?  First round is on me...

Second Division

• Rep: 8
Re: Boston // Cambridge // Somerville Mass.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
I'm up in somerville, literally a block from Morse-Kelly playground. It's a really fun park with ledges/rails that a bunch of the same people skate at. If you head up there I'm sure I'll run into you eventually. Good crew and nice people always around.

Other than that it's typical Boston - there's a bunch of spots around MIT in Cambridge, and just skating around the financial district you'll find spots. Then there's all the other normal spots that people are at - eggs (nashua st park), Aquarium (long wharf), copley right now while its drained, and obviously the new park.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
eggs is the only spot. nothing else exists.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
eggs is great when there is not 100 people there.

Cambridge is my old stomping grounds and now that i moved to a different part of town i have no problem blowing up 5 of my favorite spots--

1) Acorns was BY FAR my favorite spot in Cambridge.  if you google map "diagnostics for all cambrdige you can see a basket ball court in the overhead view.  thats where acorns is and its just a series of various ledges (technically it would be one massive ledge that goes around the court but w/e) that change in height

2) behind the rite aid in davis like a block from max hesh is a really awesome manny spot that most people skate a warm up spot but i could skate for hours

3) i used to live right near this bank which is a fucking blast. and now that i moved i dont give a shit if it gets blown up as i was one of four people i know that skate it.
its hard to see in the image but its 139 sherman street
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3909016,-71.1327285,3a,70.4y,326.4h,90.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGdtjv6TaxMGq4fbscNYJPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

4) in between central and kendall where they are renovating the sidewalks the jersey barriers are kind of flush to this weird fake sidewalk which is wicked fun to dick around on

and lastly for now

5) its normally a bust but these ledges (which i dont know have a name) are pretty cool its across from the CPCU credit union near 247 hamshire street
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukowski+Tavern/@42.3741121,-71.1012996,3a,75y,227.58h,63.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sm_s_b_JUCo3ovOyqbWMroA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dm_s_b_JUCo3ovOyqbWMroA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D2.9284704%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3774c9ffdc529:0xd5cf1fd28231c83d!6m1!1e1

there are a bunch of other spots that you will find in between these spots and there is one that i have to ask my buddy if i can DM becasue he found the spot and as far as i can tell we are the only people who know about it because its off the beaten path and very easy to walk by
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
How is the Orchard Conservatory? Looking forward to checking that out when I'm in town for Christmas
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
How is the Orchard Conservatory? Looking forward to checking that out when I'm in town for Christmas

for a free indoor park its amazing.  just gotta do the dance between the upstairs and down stairs against the crowds.

its not a replacement for subliminal/rad/skaters edge but it makes a fantastic supplement

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

for a free indoor park its amazing.  just gotta do the dance between the upstairs and down stairs against the crowds.

its not a replacement for subliminal/rad/skaters edge but it makes a fantastic supplement

That's rad, I don't need anything too crazy just somewhere to skate while I'm home for the week. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

themoustache

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
I'm up in somerville, literally a block from Morse-Kelly playground. It's a really fun park with ledges/rails that a bunch of the same people skate at. If you head up there I'm sure I'll run into you eventually. Good crew and nice people always around.

Other than that it's typical Boston - there's a bunch of spots around MIT in Cambridge, and just skating around the financial district you'll find spots. Then there's all the other normal spots that people are at - eggs (nashua st park), Aquarium (long wharf), copley right now while its drained, and obviously the new park.

Good looks, that playground looks fuckin right-on!  Might cruise over there tomorrow, Porter's just around the corner and this weekend's weather looks great. Eggs is dope, actually ended up over there a few years back when I was pushing around and skated the ledges for a while - spaced on where it was tho, just remember catching the Charles // MGH T on the way out, and had no fucking idea what its namesake was.  Oddly enough, totally empty except for me and my buddy.  Great spot for sure.

Much appreciated on the run down.  Sure I'll bump into you Somerville side if you're a toss away from that playground. 

themoustache

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »

Cambridge is my old stomping grounds and now that i moved to a different part of town i have no problem blowing up 5 of my favorite spots--

1) Acorns was BY FAR my favorite spot in Cambridge.  if you google map "diagnostics for all cambrdige you can see a basket ball court in the overhead view.  thats where acorns is and its just a series of various ledges (technically it would be one massive ledge that goes around the court but w/e) that change in height

2) behind the rite aid in davis like a block from max hesh is a really awesome manny spot that most people skate a warm up spot but i could skate for hours

3) i used to live right near this bank which is a fucking blast. and now that i moved i dont give a shit if it gets blown up as i was one of four people i know that skate it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3909016,-71.1327285,3a,70.4y,326.4h,90.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGdtjv6TaxMGq4fbscNYJPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

4) in between central and kendall where they are renovating the sidewalks the jersey barriers are kind of flush to this weird fake sidewalk which is wicked fun to dick around on

and lastly for now

5) its normally a bust but these ledges (which i dont know have a name) are pretty cool its across from the CPCU credit union near 247 hamshire street
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bukowski+Tavern/@42.3741121,-71.1012996,3a,75y,227.58h,63.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sm_s_b_JUCo3ovOyqbWMroA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dm_s_b_JUCo3ovOyqbWMroA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D2.9284704%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3774c9ffdc529:0xd5cf1fd28231c83d!6m1!1e1

there are a bunch of other spots that you will find in between these spots and there is one that i have to ask my buddy if i can DM becasue he found the spot and as far as i can tell we are the only people who know about it because its off the beaten path and very easy to walk by

Much obliged my dude.  I've "heard" of Acorns but appreciate the location call out, super close to where I am, didn't realize.  I'll check the Davis Sq Rite Aid manny next time I'm out there too...which is probably tomorrow.  I'll cruise the Sherman St bank too, but will make sure to abide by a code of silence on any ?s relating to it...

If you're still out this way give a shout!

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I started making a spot book for the Boston area because there were so many spots I was having trouble keeping track.:) Here's a few favorites I haven't seen mentioned:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIwXWB6dc17aEU4Tk9MSmJ6Y0E/view?usp=sharing

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »
Expand Quote

and lastly for now

[close]

Much obliged my dude.  I've "heard" of Acorns but appreciate the location call out, super close to where I am, didn't realize.  I'll check the Davis Sq Rite Aid manny next time I'm out there too...which is probably tomorrow.  I'll cruise the Sherman St bank too, but will make sure to abide by a code of silence on any ?s relating to it...

i moved to another part of town but its boston so nothing is too far.  ill be skating copley a lot now that its drained and will try to remember to send you a DM the next time im heading over. 

just to give you some warning you are probably a lot better than me.

themoustache

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

1) Acorns was BY FAR my favorite spot in Cambridge.  if you google map "diagnostics for all cambrdige you can see a basket ball court in the overhead view.  thats where acorns is and its just a series of various ledges (technically it would be one massive ledge that goes around the court but w/e) that change in height

and lastly for now

[close]

Much obliged my dude.  I've "heard" of Acorns but appreciate the location call out, super close to where I am, didn't realize.  I'll check the Davis Sq Rite Aid manny next time I'm out there too...which is probably tomorrow.  I'll cruise the Sherman St bank too, but will make sure to abide by a code of silence on any ?s relating to it...

[close]

i moved to another part of town but its boston so nothing is too far.  ill be skating copley a lot now that its drained and will try to remember to send you a DM the next time im heading over.  

just to give you some warning you are probably a lot better than me.

For the record, after skating like it was a full time job for 10 years, I've been on a +/- three year hiatus.  Grad school called, I responded, and now that I'm out of that educational prison, I'm reconnecting with my inner 360 flip on a shredder board after the M-F office grind.  

Don't sweat it.  Def. message me next time you're rolling, we can swap digits and connect up.  Just checked out the new park this past Sunday actually, good vibes if you're into threading the needle.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:42:26 PM by themoustache »

themoustache

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
I started making a spot book for the Boston area because there were so many spots I was having trouble keeping track.:) Here's a few favorites I haven't seen mentioned:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIwXWB6dc17aEU4Tk9MSmJ6Y0E/view?usp=sharing
Good looks Getty, and way to document.  If I went thru my camera phones from the past 10 years and made a photo dump, a document like this would def. be in order.  Same to you, if you want to connect up in the future, shoot a message and I'll pass my # along.

Duncan Macnaughton

• Rep: -55
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
Hey dudes.  After an extended stay down in California and Ecuador this last year, I recently moved (back) to the East Coast and am settled out in Cambridge, Harvard Sq side.  Since I got here in August-ish, I've been hustling at work and between the move, my girlfriend's school schedule, and my M-F work life, have had next to no time to get the wood plank, four wheels rolling. 

This, as you can imagine, has led to some insane levels of cabin fever, and now that I've finally got all my shit in order, I realize I'm totally in the fucking dark about spots // area vibes.  I know Orchard out in Allston, and Max Hesh out in Davis, but don't really know much else.  As an aside, I randomly bumped into Goku a while back, but dude's out in JP and we haven't had a chance to connect up aside from some chance run-ins.  Anyone got some insight, recommendations, or feel like a game of SKATE and a 6 pack?  First round is on me...

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/skate-savant/id983252660?mt=8

Check out the Boston city pack on Skate Savant ^^ might be helpful.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
The ride channel just posted a pretty good boston edit.

PACE

definitely need to find some of these spots the next time I go.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »
Okay, this is a bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know where the stoneham ditch is?

I've heard second hand accounts, and i found this vine https://vine.co/v/huz6eh72q0L but i can't seem to find it.

I work in Woburn so it would be awesome to have a place nearby to skate on lunch breaks.

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
from south to north-

- loading dock ledge, on a small street around portland street around MIT
- jfk park
- brattle square ledges
- down curb around bow street
- porter t station
- on broadway across the street from grafton street in arlington--curb
- ledge on the east side of mass ave north of arlington center at a bank
- small down ledge in lexington on waltham street
- possible ledge at horn pond plaza in winchester/woburn
- sloped curb on the bridge over 95 on the minuteman bike path
- spots all over the offices on loomis street in bedford
- long ledge at the bedford free public library
- curb spot on self ridge road bedford behind baptist church
- spots around the offices on middlesex turnpike near mall

are acorn ledges skateable? seem kind of rough. those may be bmx marks

Andmoreagain

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
from south to north-

- loading dock ledge, on a small street around portland street around MIT
- jfk park
- brattle square ledges
- down curb around bow street
- porter t station
- on broadway across the street from grafton street in arlington--curb
- ledge on the east side of mass ave north of arlington center at a bank
- small down ledge in lexington on waltham street
- possible ledge at horn pond plaza in winchester/woburn
- sloped curb on the bridge over 95 on the minuteman bike path
- spots all over the offices on loomis street in bedford
- long ledge at the bedford free public library
- curb spot on self ridge road bedford behind baptist church
- spots around the offices on middlesex turnpike near mall

are acorn ledges skateable? seem kind of rough. those may be bmx marks

This is suckh a weird list of boston spots, and i cant skate atm (hurt) but I'd gladly meet you at any of these spots for a pic with those OJ Rowley wheels

rails

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »

Andmoreagain

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
Nah

rails

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
what is your estimated time length for recovery?

Andmoreagain

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
what is your estimated time length for recovery?

4 weeks

rails

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
ankle?

rails

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
washington street x columbia street close to central. ledges

rails

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
nbd ledge at phi beta epsilon, MIT

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
En route to bedford mass right now, might be able to break free from family to skate. Hopefully make it to eggs and downtown boston. All recommendations for grub, spots, record stores, whatever are greatly appreciated. Anyone want to meet and push around or roll a legal spliff get at me.