Author Topic: AYC: rider roulette  (Read 3211 times)

shags6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -119
AYC: rider roulette
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
I would love to compare the team from when it first started to today.................

shags6

• Rep: -119
Re: AYC: rider roulette
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Im not hating on the brand, but it has a zumiez/non skater demographic filled with a team of wildcards. The team/brand has no personality.

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Oh I can hate. That new martyr collection is so forced and just chasing what other people have been successful with, apparel wise, outside of skateboarding. If it was just a clothing/urban brand I'd have no problem with it. But when you look at that collection and then Al Davis's picture on the team page it doesn't seem well thought out. It just seems like a clothing brand trying to chase trends that are already working for other brands.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Oh I can hate. That new martyr collection is so forced and just chasing what other people have been successful with, apparel wise, outside of skateboarding. If it was just a clothing/urban brand I'd have no problem with it. But when you look at that collection and then Al Davis's picture on the team page it doesn't seem well thought out. It just seems like a clothing brand trying to chase trends that are already working for other brands.

I didn't even know that Al Davis was on their team.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
Al Davis was on Domestics, then left for this shitty brand only for the paychecks.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also can hate but at the same time I cant hate. This is just for the cash but we all know that. They launch the brand with a red carpet. The skateboards are just that...skateboarders.

They are paying Al Davis and thats ok on my book. I really like this shirt

But is just annoying. Is just some random brand like Active or whatever the hell Figgy is on right now...

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I also can hate but at the same time I cant hate. This is just for the cash but we all know that. They launch the brand with a red carpet. The skateboards are just that...skateboarders.

They are paying Al Davis and thats ok on my book. I really like this shirt

But is just annoying. Is just some random brand like Active or whatever the hell Figgy is on right now...

I get your sentiment and I'm glad Al's getting paid, but when a company's overall aesthetic isn't within your range you're easily disposable. I like Stevie and I like Peter Huynh's work, and am glad Peter got a check. Problems arise when Peter, an actual creative, doesn't gel with AYC's chase mentality. Peter was disposable. Why pay a guy with vision, when you only need a kid who copies already existing product guided by sell through reports.

BTW every street wear brand made a nautical flag collection. Again, they are chasing a trend and were lately on delivery. Even Ecko released a collection very similar to this maybe a year before.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 05:56:15 PM »
I agree with everything. Janoski talking about this and for a while I was hype but...same with 3D just doesnt work.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
AYC reminds me of a lame bar that also had "yacht club" on the end of its name. Plus the fact that it's another triangle logo is kind of unappealing to me.

The team could just be Stevie and Al, and be an east coast company. I didn't know Peter Huynh was involved, I liked his work with UXA. If he worked on it, it could be something genuine and cool, pan-east coast. Probably won't happen though, but whatever.  I don't want Stevie's credibility to shrink, esp. by creating too many projects that lose their luster like Steelo Hero and AYC.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
glad jaws and al davis are getting paid!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
long as al and stephen lawyer getting paid im ok wit it

JACKSONVILLAIN

• Rep: 12
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
my boi Paul Hart slidin in there, gettin that ayc check now $
Good to know photoshopped jizz is the line that SLAP doesn't cross. Pansies.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 03:57:51 AM »
Anyone who refers to a skateboard as an "asphalt yacht" is kooking it.

That being said, these guys release more footage/tour clips than just about any other brand. At least they're productive.

jimmyhoffa

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
Im not hating on the brand, but it has a zumiez/non skater demographic filled with a team of wildcards. The team/brand has no personality.
I've said this as well.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
I'd be more into this brand if they rebranded as YMCA.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
All this is truth, but the question is, How are they still in business?

An AYC shirt in the wild is about as rare as a Mystery deck. Yet, they have a pretty good, relevant team that they must have to pay pretty well to stay on. And theres a fair amount of content from them. They seem to have more of a presence in skating than their sales would allow. Doesn't really make sense to me

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
All this is truth, but the question is, How are they still in business?

An AYC shirt in the wild is about as rare as a Mystery deck. Yet, they have a pretty good, relevant team that they must have to pay pretty well to stay on. And theres a fair amount of content from them. They seem to have more of a presence in skating than their sales would allow. Doesn't really make sense to me
Monster deal with Tilly's, and Pacsun. Aren't you yankees pretty patriotic? I could see your average skater wearing this

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
Al Davis was on Domestics, then left for this shitty brand only for the paychecks.

Nike has made that acceptable now