Author Topic: Albert Camus would have backed skateboarding  (Read 5576 times)

shark tits

Re: Albert Camus would have backed skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
Is skating with fake style an example of "bad faith"? I think so
Can an unnecessary power slide affirm our acceptance of the absurd? Is that what Magenta was thnking?
smolik's whole career has been 'bad faith'. if he were a character in an existential novel he'd have a suicidal epiphany and remove a pistola from an oversized snow camo jacket, remove his grill which he gives to 'lil B' and turns his back on us, looks out the bathroom window at the assorted people in the courtyard and says 'lata, fools!'
a grave lil B moves the grill back and forth between hands like a stiff slinky and  mutters 'he'll fart no more.'

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do y'alls bosses know you're posting on SLAP rather than drawing quirky designs in people's latte foam?
[close]
Is your point that skateboarders are supposed to be stupid? That's just you dude.
[close]

lol reading/discussing camus doesn't mean you're non-stupid, it just means ur not good at math but still want people/yourself to think you're smart. that is why we presently have here someone bringing up some author from his "hey look at me i'm smart" required-reading list on a skateboard forum. because people can't help but feel proud of themselves.
your insecurity is showing. Liking the works of Albert Camus doesn't make a person anything. Telling a person they aren't supposed to like his works reeks of "I don't know about this so I'm going to belittle it in any way I can!"
I'm no philosophy person or major, I just like Camus. You are an asshole if you want to tell me I shouldn't like or discuss him
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do y'alls bosses know you're posting on SLAP rather than drawing quirky designs in people's latte foam?
[close]
Is your point that skateboarders are supposed to be stupid? That's just you dude.
[close]

lol reading/discussing camus doesn't mean you're non-stupid, it just means ur not good at math but still want people/yourself to think you're smart. that is why we presently have here someone bringing up some author from his "hey look at me i'm smart" required-reading list on a skateboard forum. because people can't help but feel proud of themselves.

"they hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool" John Lennon

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
your insecurity is showing. Liking the works of Albert Camus doesn't make a person anything. Telling a person they aren't supposed to like his works reeks of "I don't know about this so I'm going to belittle it in any way I can!"
I'm no philosophy person or major, I just like Camus. You are an asshole if you want to tell me I shouldn't like or discuss him
i literally never used the words "like" or "liking" in my post. i don't care if people like camus. i'm just saying, people who read camus generally think of themselves as "intellectuals," "deep thinkers," or "more well-read than the average person."

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
i literally never used the words "like" or "liking" in my post. i don't care if people like camus. i'm just saying, people who read camus generally think of themselves as "intellectuals," "deep thinkers," or "more well-read than the average person."

I hate to agree with Reagan, but if you're attempting to define activities by their motivation - intellectualism is egoism - then your motivation seems to be insecurity.

And if egoistic master morality is psychologically better (for human fulfillment) than the slave morality of insecurity, then you suck.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
what are master moralities and slave moralities?

abudabi

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
is it really Camus that youre referring to here? or are there a whole bunch of authors we could sub in and youd say that people who read that author thought that way about themselves?

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
what are master moralities and slave moralities?

Master morality self-creates values (what is good for me is good) in affirmation of life and power. Also recognition of the inequality of people - some are just more ambitious, capable, intelligent, etc.

The weak resent/envy/hate the strong (master morality), since they'd like to be strong and accomplished, but are too afraid or incapable. Out of revenge (their morality is reactive not creative), they turn morality on its head. Good = obedient, weak, poor, ugly. It's Jewish/Christian values.

Nietzsche's crit is that Judaism and Christianity are not religions of love, but hatred. They hate (from envy/resentment) the independent, strong, egoist. And they hold the best of us down with fictions like equality, a judgy God, etc.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
interesting idea. do you believe it?

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
I don't.
Most monotheists aren't motivated by a dark swill of emotions, and religion doesn't suppress power seeking.

And even if Nietzsche's account is true, it doesn't follow that monotheism is false.

Still, his psychology of resentment/envy/weakness seems right.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:45:52 PM by 4LOM »

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »
well at least it's accurate enough to determine that i suck.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
well at least it's accurate enough to determine that i suck.

Now that I believe

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Just beautiful, like two kids on the playground discovering friendship.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 12:32:33 AM »
Albert Camus would have backed this thread.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »
But who would he ride for? I think he'd fit on Krooked IMHO

SLAP[/size]

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »
The Unbelievers?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2015, 07:04:41 AM »
"Style, like the sheer silk underwear, sometimes hides eczema"

It has become clear with the release of the FA's/Strobeck's new existential skate video, that this philosophy is the guiding principle for many at this divergent juncture in skate history, whether they know it yet or not. A schism between the Street League-r's who skate to find meaning in being the best/richest and those pros who skate or even don't skate as an act of acceptance, yet at the same time rebellion against the absurd and often meaningless nature of reality.

Further examples:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:11:35 AM by perverted super otaku! »

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
i kno learning is fun but u guys need to chill
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
i kno learning is fun but u guys need to chill

learning is fun, but spelling sucks

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
He would have backed it if for no ther reason than because of its antiwar properties

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
I don't.
Most monotheists aren't motivated by a dark swill of emotions, and religion doesn't suppress power seeking.

And even if Nietzsche's account is true, it doesn't follow that monotheism is false.

You're conflating a lot here.  The concept of master/slave morality wasn't an argument that monotheists were bad people nor was it an argument that monotheism was a faulty or false belief system. It was simply an examination of what Nietzsche believed to be the underlying motivations of the system of beliefs and a possible explanation for their virulent and often violent reactions against those who questioned their authority and foundational beliefs.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't.

[close]

You're conflating a lot here.  The concept of master/slave morality wasn't an argument that monotheists were bad people nor was it an argument that monotheism was a faulty or false belief system. It was simply an examination of what Nietzsche believed to be the underlying motivations of the system of beliefs and a possible explanation for their virulent and often violent reactions against those who questioned their authority and foundational beliefs.

You're right, he's not making moral or metaphysical claims.