Author Topic: Which company has the worst marketing?  (Read 12172 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Which company has the worst marketing?
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 04:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Not entirely relevant, but can you believe that Consolidated and Natural Koncept are still going? I mean they've both always been kind of underground companies, but holy crap, how does NK stay in business?

Also, they've got a damn great team, but Jart has such a horrible aesthetic. The worst music in their videos (I think they might actually occasionally ignore their skater's song requests), basically no graphics other than logo boards in different colours. Heard a rumour that it's not owned by anyone interested in skateboarding at all, maybe a surf company or something, and it made sense to me. The only feel I get from their company is "corporate".

Real make great boards and have a stacked team, but they're also guilty of too many logo boards and their graphics have been going downhill for a couple of years too.
[close]

true
but according to a friend, who its a shop owner in Madrid, they sell like crazy in Spain and part of Europe,  mostly cause they are really cheap and their quality its beyond good.....
.... so their marketing campain its basically cheap shit but quality stuff....

their quality is beyond shite. its the fact that most start up companies have their boards made at the jart factory. and then of course the fact that they are cheap. when a girl board in greece costs 80 euros a jart board costs 50 euros including grip. i myself used to skate a new jart board every week instead of a new "american" board every 2 weeks or even month. then i realised how stupid that was. switched back to proper boards
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 05:20:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not entirely relevant, but can you believe that Consolidated and Natural Koncept are still going? I mean they've both always been kind of underground companies, but holy crap, how does NK stay in business?

Also, they've got a damn great team, but Jart has such a horrible aesthetic. The worst music in their videos (I think they might actually occasionally ignore their skater's song requests), basically no graphics other than logo boards in different colours. Heard a rumour that it's not owned by anyone interested in skateboarding at all, maybe a surf company or something, and it made sense to me. The only feel I get from their company is "corporate".

Real make great boards and have a stacked team, but they're also guilty of too many logo boards and their graphics have been going downhill for a couple of years too.
[close]

true
but according to a friend, who its a shop owner in Madrid, they sell like crazy in Spain and part of Europe,�  mostly cause they are really cheap and their quality its beyond good.....

[close]

God, Jart is the worst! I just hate all their image, they are the bland of the blandness, and the boards arent that great but yeah for the price they arent bad. They have a team full of rippers, they just need a fucking rebranding... Also, "Jart" is a really bad name tbh.
[close]

Jart is a good one. They have good products, made in a top notch spanish factory. The family that owns jart has initially a background in woodworking. They used to make wooden furnitures for the whole spanish market so they know what they are doing in term of products. Their woods comes from canada, and the whole process is made in spain, no drying bullshit by other companies...
They make their board one by one, and have a shitload of shapes available. They also do the graphic part.
Their product is really good and they have been producing boards for around 50 brands in Europe (Antiz, Frank and a lot of others...). They are cheap because they are in charge of the whole process, so you don't have too much middlemen.

In term of marketing, they have no idea of what they are doing. They have a limited knowledge on the skateboarding culture, but work with some guys that are true skaterats, the sad thing is they don't give them enough power. The ones that makes the final decisions are 3 brothers who decide in term of numbers instead of deciding in terms of skaterats culture. They still have a good team.

They been producing boards for close to 15 years, which is not that bad in the skate world where a lot of brands come and go even when they are backed by big names (Bueno, Mystery, Aesthetics, Rasa Libre, 3D...)

The thing is they are making money selling bad graphics on a good product for cheap. Why change if it works? They have a segment and they use it. A Jart board is 30% cheaper than any other brand, and the quality is on par (much better than Girl/choco).

The good thing about their marketing is that they've been doing the same shit for years, and if trends change, they'll stil be doing their logo boards... Which means they don't depend on trends unlike brands like Zero/Creature/Palace/DGK that have a strong identity but are prone to disappear when the trend change.

Being bland is not necessarily a bad thing, because a lot of skaters don't care about a bland product if the product is good.
For example riding a DGK/Zero/enjoi boards is making some kind of statement about your style, your skateboarding; while riding a Real/Jart/Almost is not making any statement.

That is one of the reasons that lot of people would buy a Jart board over a DGK/Zero/Enjoi board that costs 30% more here in Europe. Given a limited choice in the same range of price, a lot of people prefer a bland but quality product over a strong identified product with on par quality that costs 30% more.

are you serious jart boards are superior to girl? i have never seen a girl board form pressure cracks at the tips. nor have i seen a girl board entirely loose its pop and flatten after 4 hours skate. i have been riding only jart, girl and kayo boards for the last 8+ years  (actually only girl for the last one) and jart boards could even be compared to the very cheap chinese blanks. they used to make really good boards a couple of years after they had first started but the latest ones i skated were terrible. I really hope this changes soon because it will mean i can skate good wood for cheap. plus girl shapes fucking suck big time. kayo are good in all aspects but hard to find in quantity
Expand Quote
[close]

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 06:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

true
but according to a friend, who its a shop owner in Madrid, they sell like crazy in Spain and part of Europe,�  mostly cause they are really cheap and their quality its beyond good.....

[close]

God, Jart is the worst! I just hate all their image, they are the bland of the blandness, and the boards arent that great but yeah for the price they arent bad. They have a team full of rippers, they just need a fucking rebranding... Also, "Jart" is a really bad name tbh.
[close]

Jart is a good one. They have good products, made in a top notch spanish factory. The family that owns jart has initially a background in woodworking. They used to make wooden furnitures for the whole spanish market so they know what they are doing in term of products. Their woods comes from canada, and the whole process is made in spain, no drying bullshit by other companies...
They make their board one by one, and have a shitload of shapes available. They also do the graphic part.
Their product is really good and they have been producing boards for around 50 brands in Europe (Antiz, Frank and a lot of others...). They are cheap because they are in charge of the whole process, so you don't have too much middlemen.

In term of marketing, they have no idea of what they are doing. They have a limited knowledge on the skateboarding culture, but work with some guys that are true skaterats, the sad thing is they don't give them enough power. The ones that makes the final decisions are 3 brothers who decide in term of numbers instead of deciding in terms of skaterats culture. They still have a good team.

They been producing boards for close to 15 years, which is not that bad in the skate world where a lot of brands come and go even when they are backed by big names (Bueno, Mystery, Aesthetics, Rasa Libre, 3D...)

The thing is they are making money selling bad graphics on a good product for cheap. Why change if it works? They have a segment and they use it. A Jart board is 30% cheaper than any other brand, and the quality is on par (much better than Girl/choco).

The good thing about their marketing is that they've been doing the same shit for years, and if trends change, they'll stil be doing their logo boards... Which means they don't depend on trends unlike brands like Zero/Creature/Palace/DGK that have a strong identity but are prone to disappear when the trend change.

Being bland is not necessarily a bad thing, because a lot of skaters don't care about a bland product if the product is good.
For example riding a DGK/Zero/enjoi boards is making some kind of statement about your style, your skateboarding; while riding a Real/Jart/Almost is not making any statement.

That is one of the reasons that lot of people would buy a Jart board over a DGK/Zero/Enjoi board that costs 30% more here in Europe. Given a limited choice in the same range of price, a lot of people prefer a bland but quality product over a strong identified product with on par quality that costs 30% more.
[close]

are you serious jart boards are superior to girl? i have never seen a girl board form pressure cracks at the tips. nor have i seen a girl board entirely loose its pop and flatten after 4 hours skate. i have been riding only jart, girl and kayo boards for the last 8+ years  (actually only girl for the last one) and jart boards could even be compared to the very cheap chinese blanks. they used to make really good boards a couple of years after they had first started but the latest ones i skated were terrible. I really hope this changes soon because it will mean i can skate good wood for cheap. plus girl shapes fucking suck big time. kayo are good in all aspects but hard to find in quantity

I swear you are the only one I ever heard that has problems with Jart boards. Majority of decks I, or anyone I know skates, are made by Jart, be it their own brand or the decks they make, and they always perform good. Your shop probably does some fucked up things with their decks, because I have no idea how else would that be possible. I have had only good experience with their boards, unlike anything Dwindle or Crailtap I ever skated, or someone I know skated.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
thread deterioration here.
girl and jart boards were bought at the same shop so i suppose they get treated the same way. i may have to check on jart again but seriously, i have not skated a decent jart board since 2006-ish and all jart spin offs i have seen (clan comes to mind) had terrible problems with pressure cracks and also very flat, unconcaved tips
Expand Quote
[close]

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
Im not saying you are wrong, it just seems weird to me, because all their boards I have ever skated or seen have been the highest quality, ever since they started.  And Im a big guy, 185cm and almost 90 kilos, so its not like Im not heavy so I dont break boards.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 06:32:06 AM »
I've ridden a lot of Jart boards, girl, dwindle,  polar, DLX, Hopps...
And even if Hopps and DLX are generally super good, Jart is way better than the girls that I've had, and on par with any dwindle.

I don't know why yours felt bad. Maybe the transportation or storage conditions were bad. The one I've had where directly fresh from the factory.
Maybe their boards suffer from bad transportation or bad storage conditions.

It's funny because I've never heard this kind of complains on products from any of the french/german/English/Russian brands that Jart manufactures, only complains I hear is when it comes to the Jart brand, which makes me wonder if the complaint is objective, or just due to the fact that is Jart.

I've stopped to skate Jart a couple years ago, because I want to push Pontus hard work, so I try to only skate Polar (or Hopps when I find one), so I don't know how is the current level of quality.
A couple months ago I heard they bought new machines and hired a dedicated engineer to improve the quality of their products.

EDIT: Let's not focus on Jart, you know who has a bad marketing? Globe. I know their product is not bad, they have a great team, have been in the skateboarding world for a long time, but they still struggle to be relevant.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:21:53 AM by Turtle Boy »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »
My experience with Jart is they are average at best. The price is good but they arent that great quality wise. I havent had a Jart in a long time but i've had 2 Antiz (same factory as you say) recently and they were the least durable boards i've had. A shame because i love the brand and want to support them. A friend of mine had a Jart blank on past christmas and it broke the 3rd day skating flat (this guy doesnt break boards). The quality compared to, lets say, a generator board (polar, magenta, etc) is night and day.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

chump91

• Rep: -8
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 10:03:50 AM »
Nike...what Nike is doing is creating super diverse teams with no culture. All traditional skate brands have a culture and Nike has no culture except their bullshit corporate culture. Maybe when Jordan was in his heyday Nike had some of his culture but the NBA was gangster as fuck back then. They have great shoes and whatever but I don't like how there is nothing to identify with the brand other than being a world domination shit for decades. I can't get into any Nike marketing but I have skated their shoes for many years and would again so whatever haha.

Backed 100% except I'll always buy Es or Emerica

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
 Jart image is shit but quality is very good. I am a big guy, 2m 98kilos, and I skate entirly jart bords with a few exceptions. The only grudge I have against jart is that their boards dont feel good right away and they are rather hard and stiff for a few sessions. Jart boards are the most durable boards I have ever skated for sure. The best skate feel for me were the roger boards my local shop used to carry for a while. Jart boards are on par with roger boards, jart wins at durability and roger wins at best feel with OK durability.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
Since I was complaining about their aesthetic before, I feel I should say that Jart's boards are actually very good in my experience (Antiz was good as well). And yeah, I don't know if Americans would know about their sales in Europe, but they're easily one of the biggest brands, they're everywhere.

They still leave a bad taste when I see their ads/videos/graphics though.

Greg

• Rep: -43
  • CRUSTY PALMS
    • // 1017 GLO GANG // FREE MAX B // FREE GUCCI // STREET MONEY // BLACKLAND // HOTHEADS // FUCKOUTTAHERE // avatar image
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
what about destructo?

i don't even think this runs ads, its either you know or you don't
| FUCK JAMIE THOMAS | IT'S CURTAINS |

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »
what about destructo?

even tensor does a better job marketing lol
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
Speaking about Jart, they are currently starting a reengineering process to improve the durability of their boards, and make them resist better the transport and storage. I have not too much info about it, but it's probably about the glue they are using.

Also, it appears that they are in talks with big brands (Euro and US) to start manufacturing for them (some of them are slap favourites).

j

• Rep: -24
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:40 AM »
cant believe no one's said this one yet...

LOSER

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »
Honey Brand Co.

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2015, 03:34:45 AM »
Guess what, skateboarding is a sport now, like surfing,  all products are redundant .....
'quiksilver has a better team than rip curl I'm going to buy their board shorts'

marketing is about self awareness and affirmation with something cool

I'm a 90's dude as most of us are and back then DC was fresh, Girl and Chocolate were the shit,
Rodney Mullen rode for Globe, Daewong rode for World, everything made more sense and fitted together nicely...

now its brands of spin off brands, hipster retro chic, and rolling your pants up to reveal your trendy socks is a thing,
mustaches ..oh what a glorious thing the progression of skateboarding is, did I mention energy drinks?

Which is why my vote goes to DC, i used to respect and look forward to each new catalog, loved the Droors brand but man they sold
out, whackadoo shit now, proper Target , Walmart, Kmart tier now, I'm not mad I would say hats off to Vans that company keeps it real year after year..

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2015, 06:26:22 AM »
Guess what, skateboarding is a sport now, like surfing,  all products are redundant .....
'quiksilver has a better team than rip curl I'm going to buy their board shorts'

I'm a 90's dude as most of us are and back then DC was fresh, Girl and Chocolate were the shit,
Rodney Mullen rode for Globe, Daewong rode for World, everything made more sense and fitted together nicely...

now its brands of spin off brands, hipster retro chic, and rolling your pants up to reveal your trendy socks is a thing,
mustaches ..oh what a glorious thing the progression of skateboarding is, did I mention energy drinks?

Which is why my vote goes to DC, i used to respect and look forward to each new catalog, loved the Droors brand but man they sold
out, whackadoo shit now, proper Target , Walmart, Kmart tier now, I'm not mad I would say hats off to Vans that company keeps it real year after year..

This statement is ironic, right?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2015, 12:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This statement is ironic, right?

should we tell him?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2015, 04:25:32 AM »
Go on, then.

Tyler

• Rep: -4
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
Osiris
-Past American Idol Judge

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
what about destructo?

Do they still exist?