Author Topic: thrasher stairset challenge?  (Read 4627 times)

nikki_fishstix

• Rep: -7
thrasher stairset challenge?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
about 6 months - a year after back to the berg, there was a video posted to thrashermagazine.com of phelps standing at the bottom of some marble stairset (forgive me, im not from cali so i dont know which) saying he was going to give "ten thousand dollars" to whoever could do the gnarliest shit down the stairs. he talks for maybe 30 seconds before closing out the video saying "so come kill yourself, right here!" it was taken down later that week, which i only remember because i went back to show it to someone else.

sorry, i know this is random. but this seems like the only other place where somewhere else might check thrashermagazine as regularly as me & might remember this.

also i'm sort of hoping since people affiliated with highspeed productions post on here, maybe they could let me know if i'm crazy or this video really exists? 8)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: thrasher stairset challenge?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:05:08 PM »
Was this the one where some Euro guy showed up and then they got busted at the spot and ended up somewhere else?

iwshilvdnfinland

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -106
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »
i remember this... but can't remember anymore than you.  just posting so you know you're not crazy.

chalk it up with Phelps's 5 days of hate that never made it past day 2 with things that have been deleted from the Thrasher site

Can of Soup

• Rep: 113
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:31:48 AM »
Totally remember this, too. Pretty sure the vid of Phelps issuing the challenge is gone. Thought at first maybe it was the Canadian embassy in DC, but digging around found out it was a different set, for 1k:

http://twitpic.com/kfh57

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=37929.0

nikki_fishstix

• Rep: -7
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
oh my god! thank you so much, haha thats exactly it! i spent a long time searching too, but i couldn't find anything.

part of the reason that this has always been in the back of my head is that its such a cool concept for a contest. even when i saw that video back in the day i was like "oh man finally!" i guess it just doesn't work in reality.

Can of Soup

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
oh my god! thank you so much, haha thats exactly it! i spent a long time searching too, but i couldn't find anything.

part of the reason that this has always been in the back of my head is that its such a cool concept for a contest. even when i saw that video back in the day i was like "oh man finally!" i guess it just doesn't work in reality.

Haha happy to help! Guessing that the legal consultant(s) for Thrasher told the mag that it would not look good if some kid hucked themselves down the stairs in hopes of $1,000 and ended up in the ER or worse; as a result the vid was probably pulled.  I agree / am kind of surprised that the idea of a "bounty" on a trick at a spot hasn't been a big thing, though. 

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
Haha happy to help! Guessing that the legal consultant(s) for Thrasher told the mag that it would not look good if some kid hucked themselves down the stairs in hopes of $1,000 and ended up in the ER or worse;

"bring it don't sing it"

Can of Soup

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »
Haha happy to help! Guessing that the legal consultant(s) for Thrasher told the mag that it would not look good if some kid hucked themselves down the stairs in hopes of $1,000 and ended up in the ER or worse;

"bring it don't sing it"

Shit, never saw that before--is the DJ Gaudin one the only one?