Author Topic: Carrying boards on low cost flights (Ryanair)  (Read 15662 times)

skate_spbr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Carrying boards on low cost flights (Ryanair)
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
Guys, any of you already tried to board in a deck/setup as hand baggage on a low cost flight? I'm heading to Barcelona for the weekend with Ryanair and I'm wondering if I can save some euros if I just carry my deck with me. I'm thinking on tying the deck to my back and covering with a jacket on boarding time hahahaha

any suggestion would be great!

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
Re: Carrying boards on low cost flights (Ryanair)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »
 They clearly write at their rules that they dont accept skateboards as carry on luggage, so I didnt try it when I was in your position. Since my board was shit I got my trucks in my bag and thought about buying a board in Barcelona, but I was still nervous because the trucks can easily be considered a blunt object. I was stopped in Greece and they asked the supervisor if it was OK and he said I am OK. They didnt mind at Girona airport at all, I guess they are used seeing skateboard trucks in carry on luggage in Spain.

I thought about selling back the board, but you skate so much in Barcelona that you can easily trash a board in a week, so getting a new board there is the sensible thing to do especially if you are going for more than a week.

skate_spbr

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply man. I carried my trucks to a few places with Ryanair and that wasn't a problem at all so I'm not worrying about that part. I'm arriving Friday night and leaving on Sunday night so my board won;t be that trashed yet (I think). Anyway, I think I'm going to try to smuggle my current board and will let you guys know here! My only concern really is the size of the deck, since they have very strict size rules for these low cost flights

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
it all depends on the airline. and how you carry it.

i strap mine to a backpack that can hold a skateboard while boarding and when i got to my seat placed it grip down in the overhead.

i pretty much only fly jet blue when i fly in big planes and every-time they have let me board with it as part of my carry on no questions asked. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
it all depends on the airline. and how you carry it.

i strap mine to a backpack that can hold a skateboard while boarding and when i got to my seat placed it grip down in the overhead.

i pretty much only fly jet blue when i fly in big planes and every-time they have let me board with it as part of my carry on no questions asked. 

i took a stack of boards when i flew to european countries as my carry on.  I have one of those thrasher duffel bags and i strapped them on the bottom with trucks and they were cool with me doing that.  I only got stopped once and they made me carry the boards and check in the bag when i flew from frankfurt germany to alaska

themoustache

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
When I was living out in Rome a few years back (2007 actually, so a "few" plus some), I flew with a stack of decks on my backpack from the US to Italy, no problem.  Oddly enough, once I hit the EU, everywhere I flew made me check my fucking board.  I ended up on a number of RyanAir flights, and they wouldn't budge on letting me fly with the deck strapped onto my backpack.  It always showed up on the carousel in my destination, somehow, grip tape abused, sometimes totally fine.

Anyways, moral of the story is that unless the rules have changed, plan on a checked deck.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
I've lost two fucking skateboards to European airlines. Once flying from Madrid to Rome I checked it. Never showed up. Then going from Heathrow to Madrid. The asshole at security said "you're not taking that on my plane mate." I wound up having to leave it at security as I would have missed my flight if I went back to check it. I would have if I had any money to let my girlfriend know that I was going to be coming in late.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

skate_spbr

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 01:57:11 AM »
hey guys, thanks for all the replies! So I ended up carrying my deck strapped to my backpack and it worked just fine. I put my trucks inside and the deck with the grip facing the bag between my back and the bag, put on a big jacket with the hoodie kinda covering the nose of the board and was able to board the plane just fine on both flights.

I don't know if it's allowed though because I didn't even ask to risk not being able to carry it, but it did work this way!

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
hey guys, thanks for all the replies! So I ended up carrying my deck strapped to my backpack and it worked just fine. I put my trucks inside and the deck with the grip facing the bag between my back and the bag, put on a big jacket with the hoodie kinda covering the nose of the board and was able to board the plane just fine on both flights.

I don't know if it's allowed though because I didn't even ask to risk not being able to carry it, but it did work this way!

Wow! I'm impressed that it worked. Never had any luck with this. Your method is ingenious and I will be using it on my next flight.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 08:09:30 AM »
Made it to Spain from US carrying my board on. Flying around Europe was a different story. They made me check it and some how there was minimal damage. Just a few scuffs on the grip.

ratherwatch

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:28 AM »
I've lost two fucking skateboards to European airlines. Once flying from Madrid to Rome I checked it. Never showed up. Then going from Heathrow to Madrid. The asshole at security said "you're not taking that on my plane mate." I wound up having to leave it at security as I would have missed my flight if I went back to check it. I would have if I had any money to let my girlfriend know that I was going to be coming in late.

Both those things happened to me too.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
Anyone flying Air Asia, watch out for a baggage sting. Fuckers just charged me $380 HK (US $48) to check a board in. I don't mind paying a little but I may as well have just bought a new board on arrival. Cunts.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
Anyone flying Air Asia, watch out for a baggage sting. Fuckers just charged me $380 HK (US $48) to check a board in. I don't mind paying a little but I may as well have just bought a new board on arrival. Cunts.
Do you mean just taking it as Carry-on? or strapped on a backpack or something? Either way that sucks. Luckily I have a rolling suitcase that I can fit a board in fully assembled.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you mean just taking it as Carry-on? or strapped on a backpack or something? Either way that sucks. Luckily I have a rolling suitcase that I can fit a board in fully assembled.
Nah, they refused carry on and said I had to check it in. For some reason it was more because I was transitting to Krabi. Why that costs more I have no idea... Ironically, the friend I was going to skate with here and I only rolled down one street and spend two days necking diazepam and drinking. All in all not a bad time but not really worth the $600 odd HK (I have to pay to ship the fucker back too!). Live and learn I suppose!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

BAZOOKA7

• Rep: -5
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
last time i went on an airplane, i brought my board on as a carry-on and the stewardess just held onto it the whole time. this was alaska airlines though

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
Anyone with recent good experiences? (ryanair, from/to UK)

3 cases:
a) just carry the trucks in the bag (works) and buy a cheap board from locals/shop
b) carry the trucks in the bag and the board, maybe not the freshest one, as a separate carryon (risky)
c) fuck it and carry the whole board as it is (very risky)

if b) or c) fails resort to a)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
Anyone with recent good experiences? (ryanair, from/to UK)

3 cases:
a) just carry the trucks in the bag (works) and buy a cheap board from locals/shop
b) carry the trucks in the bag and the board, maybe not the freshest one, as a separate carryon (risky)
c) fuck it and carry the whole board as it is (very risky)

if b) or c) fails resort to a)

Always break it down. As long as you're in a western part of the world (Western Europe, USA, Australia, etc...) where most people know what skateboarding is this is your best bet.

The reason is that with this you're able to blend. It's not obviously a skateboard so you're less likely to get stuck with a "sports equipment" fee but in my experience this is unlikely with a skateboard.

If you're worried about having to throw out a fresh deck then go with option B. Assuming you need a new one anyway and it won't cost a fortune wherever you're traveling to then save yourself the hassle of carrying it through the airport. Just buy one there.

Now, if you're traveling through places where you might not be able to communicate with  the staff and/or they might not know what a skateboard is I'd recommend saving yourself the hassle and checking it. I recently had the super fun experience of having to jump through hoops to get my deck back in Turkey "Jah bless that Pegasus airline's Pilot for snagging it from security for me" then on my next connection in India they told me I had to check the "metal rods" aka skateboard trucks.

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 11:10:04 PM »
Any experience with spirit?  Im going to LA from Chicago in a few weeks and might use them because the ridiculously low priced flight ticket. Honestly its probably a no for them. I heard they even want to charge extra to use the carry on overhead compartment. Im thinking of packing light in my backpack then buying clothes at a thriftshop. The deck I have now is in good condish, so dont want to hear bad news & just leave it at the airport... Considering just buying a deck there, but then I'd want to bring it back..

I flew delta to NYC recently and they were cool. While leaving, the flight attendant even recommended I dont hurt myself with the skateboard.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:14:13 PM by EPetrov »