Author Topic: chad tim tim on christianity  (Read 15239 times)

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
Re: chad tim tim on christianity
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
don't forget about brian sumner! whats that dude up to anyways? Last time I checked, he was pro for that christian skate company Reliance/Siren... always liked his style

brian sumner is cool but I feel like he shoves his beliefs in everyone's faces constantly. Like I don't go around posting atheist shit all day because I know not everyone believes that. If i were a christian I would not post Jesus stuff all day either. It makes you look kinda arrogant.. to me anyway.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Guru is a sikh, which is a sect of hindu.  and lizard king is always talking about satan. 
do more yoga!

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
Pretty sure there's an interview where lizard king says he's not actually like a practicing satanist, he just thought it was funny and would always shout out to him. I think he's actually agnostic/atheist or whatever. Kind of like slayer.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Tim tim is on top beauti pros.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
When you have to search out videos to discover someones religion then it isn't an issue. When every interview discusses religion and board graphics, then it can be a bit distasteful. Tim Tim rips and has never been one to mingle his skating with his religion
p-shuvs and v-flips

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
I'll never understand why these topics exist. Tim Tim is a Christian, as many people and skateboarders are. I really don't understand why it's always looked down upon. Would you have started them topic if he were Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist? Probably not because then you'd be called a racist for saying it "weirded you out", but since he's Christian he's fair game. I don't get the double standard here.
Because it is a culturally dominant religion that thrives off of proselytization. Want to practice your religion? Fine, just don't fucking push it on me. And being a non-christian in America means CONSTANT attempts to convert you and questions about the validity of your faith. That's not a stereotype about Christians- its a rule they are supposed to follow.
At this point, we all know about Christianity, we know all of its pros and cons. Those of us who aren't buying what you are selling aren't doing that because they are confused. The fact that Christians are SO in-your-face about their beliefs and the fact that they think any other beliefs are wrong is gross, particularly as a majority.

As far as other religions? Aside from scientology and the mormons, which are absolutely the same in terms of proselytization, people tend not to put up youtube videos about the fact that they are that religion, that they are superior because of their religion, and that you need to join their religion or be tortured for eternity. If you put yourself out there as superior, get ready for people to tell you to go fuck yourself.

But let's also keep it simple- white power is a racist call for a dominant culture to maintain its dominance, so its fucked. Black power is a call for more power in a system that represses black people, so its not. Same thing goes with Christianity and other religions- if you are the dominant cultural group, and you insist on pushing your ways on others, you are just a dick.

I don't have a problem with your average christian, but once proselytizing comes into play, or the bullshit "war on Christmas" faux oppression bullshit, you can go fuck yourself.

Side note- did that video acknowledge the dude is only christian because of a bad acid trip? Seriously?! That's hilarious.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Pretty Serious

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
I must be getting off easy, because in all my years I have never been accosted by ravenous Christians trying to convert me here in the NW. Mormons and Jehovah's bang on my door now and then, but even they are polite and leave when I say "thanks but no thanks".  Politicians, lawmakers, lobbyists , consumer advertising industry, etc are probably better targets of sophomoric ranting if you're worried about dominant groups pushing their ideas on you.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
to be fair they think they're trying to save us from eternal hellfire, they're just being nice.

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
I'm gonna run away from this thread before it evolves into a religious debate

Bye!

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
I only learned about this recently too but there are quite a few jesus dudes in the skate world: ray barbee, christian hosoi, steve caballero, jamie thomas, and others.

Barbee and Caballero were news to me. I'm personally not a fan of organized religion and I don't like mixing that with some of my favorite skaters. I still think all those dudes are rad but I like to maintain separation of church and skate.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
I must be getting off easy, because in all my years I have never been accosted by ravenous Christians trying to convert me here in the NW. Mormons and Jehovah's bang on my door now and then, but even they are polite and leave when I say "thanks but no thanks".  Politicians, lawmakers, lobbyists , consumer advertising industry, etc are probably better targets of sophomoric ranting if you're worried about dominant groups pushing their ideas on you.

Great point about politicians, advertisers, etc. However I do think many religious people push ideas in implicit, passive ways which can be even worse. For example, I just looked up Brian Sumners instagram. Yesterday he posted a picture saying "real friends don't let friends die without knowing jesus." Along with a huge rant of some jargon I couldn't read through. What if my friend is Muslim? Are we not real friends if I don't successfully convert him to Christianity and Jesus? That is what I don't like. I'd rather have an advertiser say, "hey! check out our tacos they taste super good! and we have a deal on them!" or "check out this deal on this truck!" than someone pressure me and tell me i'm a bad person if I'm not a part of your thing.

Bringing this back to home:

Chad Tim Tim is the fucking man. And he doesn't push his ideologies on people. He believes in something, and that's great. I love that. But he allows other people to believe their things too.

Y'erd me?

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »
In addition to my last post, some kid comments saying "It's really hard when someone close to you dies suddenly and you aren't even sure of their status with God." That's sad to me. Instead of thinking "What a great dude or girl, I'm really sad they passed away." and thinking of the good times you had with them while mourning their loss, this kid is thinking "Shit, Bobby might be cast into eternal hellfire to be tortured relentlessly by Satan for all of eternity."

Ugh. So sad to me. I would be a wreck if I thought that might be a possibility for someone I cared about. But now we are approaching the religion debate so I'll stop there and just say that's why I hate why people post these pictures. It affects people. Clearly someone that kid knows just died.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »
Donny Barley and Lance are Christians. Doubt anyone on here has anything bad to say about them. Yet other skaters who are Christians get made fun of on here. Makes no sense to me. I guess you have to be a legend to get a pass.

If it makes 'em happy and they ain't hurting you, who cares?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
Pretty sure there's an interview where lizard king says he's not actually like a practicing satanist

You don't say ::)

Donny Barley and Lance are Christians. Doubt anyone on here has anything bad to say about them. Yet other skaters who are Christians get made fun of on here. Makes no sense to me. I guess you have to be a legend to get a pass.

Probably because Donny and Lance have never preached their beliefs to people and/ or used them to sell proddy

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »
Are you serious? First of all, no matter how many pleases and thank yous a person uses, saying they are superior based on their beliefs and that you need to abandon yours because theirs is the greatest is definitive bigotry, and not polite. Along with that, they aren't ravenous?
 They haven't fought against the rights of gay people to get married because they think everybody needs to live by their bible? Do they not shoot up and picket abortion clinics because they think everybody should live by their values? They haven't put up religious statues and displays all over the country, including fucking courthouses? They haven't claimed there is a "war on christmas" because not everybody celebrates their holiday?
 Christians push for theocratic law in America more than any other group. Its not even an issue of individual proselytizing, they are going after the whole fucking country, and hurtin a lot of people while doing it.

For the record, as stated in my last post, I don't care if you want to practice your own religion in a personal way regarding your personal practices and beliefs, its the bigotry of pushing it on others that I hate.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Are you serious? First of all, no matter how many pleases and thank yous a person uses, saying they are superior based on their beliefs and that you need to abandon yours because theirs is the greatest is definitive bigotry, and not polite. Along with that, they aren't ravenous?
 They haven't fought against the rights of gay people to get married because they think everybody needs to live by their bible? Do they not shoot up and picket abortion clinics because they think everybody should live by their values? They haven't put up religious statues and displays all over the country, including fucking courthouses? They haven't claimed there is a "war on christmas" because not everybody celebrates their holiday?
 Christians push for theocratic law in America more than any other group. Its not even an issue of individual proselytizing, they are going after the whole fucking country, and hurtin a lot of people while doing it.

For the record, as stated in my last post, I don't care if you want to practice your own religion in a personal way regarding your personal practices and beliefs, its the bigotry of pushing it on others that I hate.

you seem to be overreacting to a pretty harmless video featuring a skateboarder with a pretty good reputation who doesn't seem to be pushing anything. you sort of come off like a dejected teenager whose parents are forcing him to go to mass every sunday.

for the record, i am not religious.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 12:35:18 AM »
^^too funny

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
Religon is fine if it helps make someone a better person.  But the preaching stuff is annoying.  One of my wife's best friends is Mormon.  Full on went to BYU, has 12 kids in her family, has never had a drop of booze, went on the, "mission."  She's cool because she never talks about it.     

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »
In my experience, atheists tend to be just as preachy, if not more than most Christians I know. They're like vegans, crossfitters, and runners...they get their validation from something outside of themselves and just have to tell someone about it. Skateboarders are the same way. Everyone worships something.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2015, 06:48:04 AM »
religion is the codification of a particular group's ethos with a spiritual component added on to instill compliance and obedience in its followers. that's why every religion is tailored to each group of people - it's why you can have countless sects of christianity, which are all supposedly the same religion. I could start my own sect of christianity, in fact, that's a perfect expression of my worldview, and, if I were charismatic enough, I could convert a bunch of people to it. it's why everyone's god looks like them. religion can be viewed as something that promotes social cohesion and altruism by strengthening bonds among the in-group, which are very beneficial traits in terms of evolution and the continuation of the species. it's a form of tribalism. it's a manifestation of the human ego.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:15:22 AM by jonnysheen »

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »
Religon is fine if it helps make someone a better person.  But the preaching stuff is annoying.  One of my wife's best friends is Mormon.  Full on went to BYU, has 12 kids in her family, has never had a drop of booze, went on the, "mission."  She's cool because she never talks about it.     

That's kinda funny, I've heard people bitch about Mormons in the same way. My Mom/Step-Dad are Mormon (my step-dad's a former bishop, or "pastor who does't get paid" essentially) and they even put missionaries up in their house, and the only person who's ever tried to preach to me is my mom. A lot of it's regional too, like Mormons from the token "Mormon States" (Utah, Idaho, Arizona to a lesser extent) are a lot more aggressive then those from elsewhere. Mormons from states with smaller Mormon populations have to learn to assimilate with others more so it's pretty much a given.
It's already been said: Who cares if he's a Christian/who cares someone decided to make a thread about it?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
religion is the codification of a particular group's ethos with a spiritual component added on to instill compliance and obedience in its followers. that's why every religion is tailored to each group of people - it's why you can have countless sects of christianity, which are all supposedly the same religion. I could start my own sect of christianity, in fact, that's a perfect expression of my worldview, and, if I were charismatic enough, I could convert a bunch of people to it. it's why everyone's god looks like them. religion can be viewed as something that promotes social cohesion and altruism by strengthening bonds among the in-group, which are very beneficial traits in terms of evolution and the continuation of the species. it's a form of tribalism. it's a manifestation of the human ego.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

MIKE TYSON UNCENSORED QUOTES

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »

This is why I wish some kids parents didn't tell them they're great

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
Pretty serious- I saw your point, I just didn't think anybody was stupid enough to take it seriously.
 How fucking dumb are you that you think those issues are mutually exclusive?
 Do you REALLY think that lawmakers don't have anything to do with religion?
 Does Rick Santorum not exist? Does the moral majority and the religious right not exist?
Are there no lobbies pushing a christian theological government?
 Do the consumer advertisers not spend 1/6th of the year commercializing religion?

You don't come off as more serious, you come off as stupid, naive, and desperate to turn the attention to other things....other things where proselytizing exists and is actually far more damaging because of it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you seem to be overreacting to a pretty harmless video featuring a skateboarder with a pretty good reputation who doesn't seem to be pushing anything. you sort of come off like a dejected teenager whose parents are forcing him to go to mass every sunday.

Or, maybe I'm not Christian and sick of you fuckers pretending you are the only culture, the only people with a sense of morality, and that all of the rest of us are incomplete if we aren't like you? Maybe I don't like the fact that my government oppresses people because of people who push their morality on the rest of us?
Nope, I must be a teenage christian, since all that exists are different types of Christians

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2015, 01:24:13 PM »
i swear people that have posts under 30 shouldn't be allowed to make threads. so many shitty threads

Pretty Serious

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
Pretty serious- I saw your point, I just didn't think anybody was stupid enough to take it seriously.
 How fucking dumb are you that you think those issues are mutually exclusive?
 Do you REALLY think that lawmakers don't have anything to do with religion?
 Does Rick Santorum not exist? Does the moral majority and the religious right not exist?
Are there no lobbies pushing a christian theological government?
 Do the consumer advertisers not spend 1/6th of the year commercializing religion?

You don't come off as more serious, you come off as stupid, naive, and desperate to turn the attention to other things....other things where proselytizing exists and is actually far more damaging because of it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Or, maybe I'm not Christian and sick of you fuckers pretending you are the only culture, the only people with a sense of morality, and that all of the rest of us are incomplete if we aren't like you? Maybe I don't like the fact that my government oppresses people because of people who push their morality on the rest of us?
Nope, I must be a teenage christian, since all that exists are different types of Christians
+1 for petulance

SilvergultRab

• Rep: -58
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
I'm an avid goer to the church of skatan