Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220592 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1590 on: November 27, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »
Okay super obvious question and answer but for cylinder bushings the sharp edge side with the rebound circles on the surface touch the hangar yoke and the rounded edge with glossy surface touches the bottom washer right ?

I only ask cause back when I got a set of indy's the rounded edge side of the bushing was against the hangar but in other trucks like krux it wasn't but I wasn't sure which side of the bushing is set right

It's obviously sharp edge side with the circles on the surface to hangar cause that's how all bushings are setup right

When the rounded edge was against the hangar the trucks turned deeper but kinda slouched

When the sharp straight edge was on the hangar the trucks didn't turn as easy or deep but return to center real easy
yes

duzerdrof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #1591 on: November 27, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »
For barrel/cylinder bushings I've always put the sharp edge against the hanger. Indy aftermarket bushings have tiny rings on the sharper surface that look like tread and in my mind it makes sense for the hander to grip there when pushing the bushing down during a turn. There's no wrong way to set up your trucks though, do whatever feels best!

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1592 on: November 27, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
 I have some thunder 149 hi's coming soon,  think they'll work with 56 mm wheels and no risers?  I'm thinking I may need an 1/8 inch riser any experience?

N.L.

« Reply #1593 on: November 27, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
I have some thunder 149 hi's coming soon,  think they'll work with 56 mm wheels and no risers?  I'm thinking I may need an 1/8 inch riser any experience?

You'll likely need risers. 54+ with Thunders, its mostly unavoidable unless you ride super tight trucks. Risers aren't a bad thing with Thunders though, as they are pretty low trucks and the risers will make 'em turn even better.

NJFly318

« Reply #1594 on: November 27, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll likely need risers. 54+ with Thunders, its mostly unavoidable unless you ride super tight trucks. Risers aren't a bad thing with Thunders though, as they are pretty low trucks and the risers will make 'em turn even better.

Think that 1/8" is enough, or should I go with 1/4"?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1595 on: November 27, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Think that 1/8" is enough, or should I go with 1/4"?

I'd go 1/4" t be safe with 56mm

NJFly318

« Reply #1596 on: November 27, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »
I'd go 1/4" t be safe with 56mm

Good already have those on my current set up, I don't have to go to the shop.
Thanks for the input.

N.L.

« Reply #1597 on: November 28, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
1/8" will work and to me is preferable. 1/4" feels a tad hight for my taste. I ride loose and never had a serious wheel bite concern with 1/8" risers on thunder 149/ 151s even with wheels as big as 58mm.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:55:46 AM by N.L. »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1598 on: November 28, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
Yah I think hi truck and 56's shouldn't be too bad.....1/8th I think should be fine....tons of people skate 54's no riser on regular thunders.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1599 on: November 29, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
lifes so busy im starting to think does it matter much for what trucks you have anymore specs wise?

i say cause i dont get to skate as much as i use to anymore working and doing school that i feel the chance you get to skate since skating is so mental wouldnt it be easier to just skate the brand you like or want to support and just enjoy skateboarding?

probably not in the long run but dug up some good ole 149 reynolds gc hollows and plugged in some bones cause i like the rebound compared to the aftermarket indy cylinders more with the urethane and inserts and indys to me look more hesh with bones bushings since they are such a goto for pros that dont like the stock

i wanna see if indys are more decent than ive experienced in the past since i use to just ride them with the after markets but now got some bones in them, the after markets are good but theyre a little too soft for me for mediums, and im too lazy to get the 94ś. just gonna work with what i got :)

yes

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1600 on: November 30, 2016, 02:25:55 AM »
I've changed my long time indy139 /bones bushing for some thunder 147 /bones bushing and I'm so happy I did.
A lot of wheelbites at first, then, I got used and every bs 180 tricks work better for some reason.

wBandito

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1601 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Soooo: I hopped on the ace + Krux cushions bandwagon, but ended up giving the setup to my little bro before riding it, to hook him up.

Now I basically remade a similar setup for myself, but everywhere is out of Krux cushions and the ace stock is truly trash, people weren't exaggerating.... almost unsusable. Even shitty storefront sites that say they are in stock, get back to me 5 days later with the bad news.

What's the deal? Are Krux cushions out of production?

Shit sucks.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1602 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:08 AM »
I found some Krux bushings on ebay two weeks ago, ordered 2 sets so I'm good for a while.
Maybe go check in the Ace trucks thread, some cool guys posted links when I was looking for it.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1603 on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:31 AM »
I like indy's aesthetically and the idea behind it, I'm just not into the weight, and height but I think I fixed my Indy 149's on my small 8.12 to work for me by throwing some classic bones hards in there and so far it's good, not as good in control and feel like thunders but fun, maybe I'll forget height and weight eventually and just ride them cause they're fun and cool looking ahaha
yes

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1604 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:39 AM »
I really warmed up to the stage 11's, especially that deep turn! It's so nice when you're on any kind of tranny. I don't even think about the height and weight anymore :-*

Plus I can run 57mm conical fulls without risers!

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1605 on: December 02, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
Nail polish remover removes paint from trucks, right?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1606 on: December 02, 2016, 10:24:35 AM »
Soooo: I hopped on the ace + Krux cushions bandwagon, but ended up giving the setup to my little bro before riding it, to hook him up.

Now I basically remade a similar setup for myself, but everywhere is out of Krux cushions and the ace stock is truly trash, people weren't exaggerating.... almost unsusable. Even shitty storefront sites that say they are in stock, get back to me 5 days later with the bad news.

What's the deal? Are Krux cushions out of production?

Shit sucks.

You're in luck. Last one.
http://www.saltypeaks.com/products/31830/Krux-Worlds-Best-Cushions-Bushings-92a.html

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1607 on: December 03, 2016, 01:40:57 AM »

Yeah, I did that with a set of black theeves
yes

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1608 on: December 03, 2016, 07:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

peels right off
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1609 on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off

I think it depends. I rubbed a logo off some Indys with a little acetone and cotton balls, but I let a baseplate sit overnight in acetone and it didn't do shit.
you never know about pre-cum 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1610 on: December 04, 2016, 04:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off
[close]

I think it depends. I rubbed a logo off some Indys with a little acetone and cotton balls, but I let a baseplate sit overnight in acetone and it didn't do shit.

Might be anodized. You can remove that also, but I'm not exactly sure how it's done.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1611 on: December 04, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off
[close]

if you're having a hard time getting the paint off, you should use some sandpaper to give the acetone some surface to start chewing on.
even the steven

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1612 on: December 04, 2016, 08:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off
[close]

[close]

if you're having a hard time getting the paint off, you should use some sandpaper to give the acetone some surface to start chewing on.

also, it's best to use 100% acetone. some nail polish is not.

NJFly318

« Reply #1613 on: December 05, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
So ran my new Thunder team 149's with no risers and F4 56mm conical fulls. It wasn't too bad stock (clear yellow) bushings are very mushy feeling & the wheel bite wasn't too bad. Every board I've had has wheel rub marks on it though so I didn't think twice about that. If these bushings don't work out I'll throw in some Indy reds.

But going from some Indy stage 7or8 to Thunder with no risers was strange, any pop that had feels like it's gone, and I couldn't get a nose slide to work at all. Is the geometry so much different that it would affect the nose/tail slides? And being low is strange, I will be adding some risers, but I'll give it a few more sessions as is before any changes get made. Do you guys feel like you can get good pop from low boards like this?

N.L.

« Reply #1614 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »
So ran my new Thunder team 149's with no risers and F4 56mm conical fulls. It wasn't too bad stock (clear yellow) bushings are very mushy feeling & the wheel bite wasn't too bad. Every board I've had has wheel rub marks on it though so I didn't think twice about that. If these bushings don't work out I'll throw in some Indy reds.

But going from some Indy stage 7or8 to Thunder with no risers was strange, any pop that had feels like it's gone, and I couldn't get a nose slide to work at all. Is the geometry so much different that it would affect the nose/tail slides? And being low is strange, I will be adding some risers, but I'll give it a few more sessions as is before any changes get made. Do you guys feel like you can get good pop from low boards like this?

I've def noticed the same between Indy and Thunders. nothing you can't get used to but there's a big difference in timing on some tricks.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1615 on: December 05, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure the nose/tailside thing that people notice with thunders is because of the angle of the hangar and shape of the baseplate. Thunder hangers are pushed out towards the nose so and has a flat baseplate so it feels like you're mostly sliding on your wheels. Indy and especially Ace are further inward so you get that comfy baseplate slide. Venture hangers are closer to thunder's, but the baseplate sticks out more so you're still sliding more on that. I can still slide pretty far with thunders, but I have to use a harder wheel.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1616 on: December 05, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »

*raises hand* I've recently been in the same boat so here is my advice/ what I've learned:
1. someone on here mentioned it, but just run with those standard bushings for 3 or 4 sessions without touching them and they'll eventually break in (they suck in the beginning). I have confirmed this and recently gave them one full turn and they are definitely not mushy anymore.
2. pop sucks if your coming from indys, like seriously sucks. I was floundering around on my board looking like a clown. After my 4th sesh on them it seems like my body has adjusted to the timing. They also lengthen up your wheelbase too which will fuck with your head ... heavily!
3. Haven't noticed that much of a difference in the noseslide dept. but I've already got mine on some 1/8 risers (w/ 54mm wheels) which probably puts them at the same height as old skool indys
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:45:50 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1617 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off
[close]

[close]

ive only used them on hangers so you could be right... i left a pair of hangers to sit in paint thinner over night and didnt do shit... same hangers in nail-polish remover for 45 min and it peeled right off.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1618 on: December 06, 2016, 12:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

*raises hand* I've recently been in the same boat so here is my advice/ what I've learned:
1. someone on here mentioned it, but just run with those standard bushings for 3 or 4 sessions without touching them and they'll eventually break in (they suck in the beginning). I have confirmed this and recently gave them one full turn and they are definitely not mushy anymore.
2. pop sucks if your coming from indys, like seriously sucks. I was floundering around on my board looking like a clown. After my 4th sesh on them it seems like my body has adjusted to the timing. They also lengthen up your wheelbase too which will fuck with your head ... heavily!
3. Haven't noticed that much of a difference in the noseslide dept. but I've already got mine on some 1/8 risers (w/ 54mm wheels) which probably puts them at the same height as old skool indys

I really don't know how people can ride thunders without risers, unless your trucks are tight as fuck. Even tried 51mm wheels, and they still bit hard for me (and that's at like medium looseness).

Was always kind of hesitant towards risers, but thunder 149's with a little 1/8th pad turn beautifully. Get's you a little more pop too. But that's for my 54mm wheels. If I was riding 56+, I'd prolly consider 1/4th risers (seems high, but really it's the same as reg Indy's with 1/8th pads).

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1619 on: December 06, 2016, 01:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

peels right off
[close]

[close]

[close]

ive only used them on hangers so you could be right... i left a pair of hangers to sit in paint thinner over night and didnt do shit... same hangers in nail-polish remover for 45 min and it peeled right off.

Best way to remove logos or paint from trucks is to use nitro paint thinner, rub it with rag or cotton balls on trucks and paint will start to come off.
Just make sure to do it in well ventilated area or in open.