Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220693 times)

NJFly318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1800 on: January 02, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
Interesting how Ace Joey T is all "jah rastafari one love" and then makes a living ripping people off with made in china trucks that are riddled with problems. You gotta cross your fingers if you order them and hope you get a set that doesn't have some sort of defect.

This kind of information is what pushed me towards Thunder or Venture over Ace when I bought new trucks. I didn't want to spend more money on Chinese made trucks when Thunders where $3.00 less each, not about the money but the principle. Besides I skated Thunders back when there was a skull and crossbones on them.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1801 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Sent an E-Mail to NHS regarding Krux Bushings and as to why they don't have them in stock and also when they'll have them "In-Stock" again. Has anyone gotten a response? sent it almost 4 days ago. Can't find them anywhere online or my local. Anyone on here wanna PM me and possibly do a proxy via their local that carries it then i'm willing to get a couple and compensate for the help.

It's the holidays man. For a lot of people that includes today too, nobody's been working.
you never know about pre-cum 

N.L.

« Reply #1802 on: January 02, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Sent an E-Mail to NHS regarding Krux Bushings and as to why they don't have them in stock and also when they'll have them "In-Stock" again. Has anyone gotten a response? sent it almost 4 days ago. Can't find them anywhere online or my local. Anyone on here wanna PM me and possibly do a proxy via their local that carries it then i'm willing to get a couple and compensate for the help.
[close]

It's the holidays man. For a lot of people that includes today too, nobody's been working.

Aren't the indy blue cylinders bushings essentially the same as the Krux bushings?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1803 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Aren't the indy blue cylinders bushings essentially the same as the Krux bushings?
?\_(ツ)_/?
I think the whole "krux bushings in aces" thing is a little over-hyped. Loosen your shit up and the new bushings are fine right out the gate.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1804 on: January 02, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
?\_(ツ)_/?
I think the whole "krux bushings in aces" thing is a little over-hyped. Loosen your shit up and the new bushings are fine right out the gate.
A lot of people can't loosen their shit up enough with out the nut falling off constantly. Pretty much the whole krux bushing thing is about the top bushing being shorter than the stock ace bushings and actually being able to get the nut to stay on. I agree with new Ace bushings are fine though. But they still took some breaking in to not feel too tight.

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1805 on: January 02, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
I'm trying too figure out some options for my trucks. I like riding indy hallows with 54-56mm wheels. I ride my trucks on the looser side and I get a lot of wheel bit. Are there any indys that are a little bit higher than the hallows? I think the ones I have now are like some Koston or Ryenolds indy hallows.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1806 on: January 02, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I don't know if you're committed to hollows, but the new plain jane stage 11's are probably slightly higher. I ride 54mm and bite is a non-issue.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1807 on: January 02, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
I'm back on Indy.

Thunder skates the best for me on street and I think the Theeves were the best all around truck that I've skated but it's just nice having Indy's under my feet.  I can't explain it because I don't particularly like the geometry so I think their marketing is ingrained in my subconscious

I'm worried that this will happen to me, hence my attempts at forcing myself to have Thunder/Venture loyalty. This is my thing: All Indys from 86-2003 were great to me. Only other time I cheated was BPSW era Venture featherlights (awesome!). Anyway, startin at Stage XI, I noticed when I would land tricks, I'd do this rear-hand softball pitch move with my arm and my landings felt like luck, not skill. This is what started my "what the hell is up with these trucks issue" which has now lasted 13 years. I have video of me doing a flatground kickflip and doing that rear hand softball throw. ANYWAY, with Ventures I don't have it, and with Thunders I don't... and also with Thunders, my kickflips have pop that I didn't with venture orIndy. That all being said.. as far as crusing the streets, I KNOW I love the way Indys feel, I just suck at tricks on them. Or they don't feel as comfortable, one or the other

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1808 on: January 02, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm back on Indy.

Thunder skates the best for me on street and I think the Theeves were the best all around truck that I've skated but it's just nice having Indy's under my feet.  I can't explain it because I don't particularly like the geometry so I think their marketing is ingrained in my subconscious
[close]

I'm worried that this will happen to me, hence my attempts at forcing myself to have Thunder/Venture loyalty. This is my thing: All Indys from 86-2003 were great to me. Only other time I cheated was BPSW era Venture featherlights (awesome!). Anyway, startin at Stage XI, I noticed when I would land tricks, I'd do this rear-hand softball pitch move with my arm and my landings felt like luck, not skill. This is what started my "what the hell is up with these trucks issue" which has now lasted 13 years. I have video of me doing a flatground kickflip and doing that rear hand softball throw. ANYWAY, with Ventures I don't have it, and with Thunders I don't... and also with Thunders, my kickflips have pop that I didn't with venture orIndy. That all being said.. as far as crusing the streets, I KNOW I love the way Indys feel, I just suck at tricks on them. Or they don't feel as comfortable, one or the other

Trust me, Indy 139 lows
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1809 on: January 02, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm back on Indy.

[close]

[close]

Trust me, Indy 139 lows
Trust him, he's sworn 6 truck companies in as many weeks. He knows.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1810 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
Ahahaha trust me! They work! Throw some of those new Indy low conical medium soft reds and you'll be in good hands
yes

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1811 on: January 02, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
I think this thread is my favorite place on the internet. I don't feel so lonely knowing there's others out there with the same crippling mental illnesses as me (:

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1812 on: January 03, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
Ahahaha trust me! They work! Throw some of those new Indy low conical medium soft reds and you'll be in good hands

I ended up skating them with cutted indy bushings  AND without bottom washers and they still wouldn't turn as i like my indys to turn. Ended up bying standard stage 11 and im hppy to go,no more low trucks for me.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1813 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
Hehehe, low trucks and turning....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1814 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
60 plus pages and indys are the best?  What's next?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1815 on: January 03, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
Its the nature of the universe. In the beginning is always indy. Then there's agitation that gives birth to the whole spectrum of alternatives, until the day everything contracts and returns to the origin.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1816 on: January 03, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
anyone know if and how much is wheelbite an issue when riding thunders loose?

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1817 on: January 03, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
I have some wheelbite marks on my deck, but I've only been thrown off once from it. I'm riding Thunder Team 149's  with 56mm conical fulls, I did put 1/8" risers under them recently.
Over all I am really loving them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:09:47 PM by NJFly318 »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1818 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »

If you skate 54+ wheels and loose thunders make sure you have a good life insurance policy

BMCsteve

« Reply #1819 on: January 03, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
I tried a set of Thunders for a few days and couldn't get them loose enough to even get wheel bite with 54mm wheels. I had some aftermarket medium Thunder bushings and they just felt stiff.

Even though the stock Ace bushings feel a little stiff at first, they broke in nicely for me (skating a set of stock 44s for like 9 months with no problems). With the Thunders they felt like they were never going to become loose enough.

The medium thunder bushings are pretty hard.  try the stocks

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1820 on: January 03, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
I tried a set of Thunders for a few days and couldn't get them loose enough to even get wheel bite with 54mm wheels. I had some aftermarket medium Thunder bushings and they just felt stiff.

Even though the stock Ace bushings feel a little stiff at first, they broke in nicely for me (skating a set of stock 44s for like 9 months with no problems). With the Thunders they felt like they were never going to become loose enough.

[close]

The medium thunder bushings are pretty hard.  try the stocks

Or just get soft Indy conicals.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1821 on: January 04, 2017, 05:17:22 AM »
I roll with 51/52...the height of thunders just trips me out but I guess the geometrics are so different than indy that who knows...was definitely gonna roll with the red indy conicals.

been skating the hollow indies with out the bottom washer and they are that loose that with the shakeage, any bushing/pivot cup gets shredded in weeks so need to find something equally turning without getting shithoused all the time and what I remember that at least thunders have a tight turning radius.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1822 on: January 05, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
Getting new trucks for the first time in years and really don't know what to do.

My old set which I loved were Indy Stage 9 169's with Bones Hard bushing set really loose.

I've heard that the Indy's since stage 9 have been kinda shit, so I was thinking of going with Ace or Thunder.

My reservation with Ace is that I've heard they don't last too long. The guy at my shop said he went from Indy to Thunder when they started going downhill and really likes them.

I'm just worried that I'll end up with a setup I don't like as I'm pretty sure I've only ever rode Indy and I've had the same pair of trucks for like 4 years.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1823 on: January 05, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
What ever shit you heard about with stage 9's now is not going to be worse than ace....and thunders are not going to turn like your indys.....

The correct answer is THEEVE.....

Which is why you should just back away from this whole thread and buy another set of indys.....

N.L.

« Reply #1824 on: January 05, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
ha ha J Soy is probably correct. I don't even acknowledge Theeve. I'm too old and stubborn to take such a risk. Indy, Thunder, Ace only... maybe Krux.

But to the dude who posted above. Stage 11s are far better than 9s. 8s and 9s were the worst. Go ahead and get some 159 Stage 11s. They are probably closest to what you are used to. Stage 169s are now 9.125" wide I believe.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1825 on: January 06, 2017, 06:51:45 AM »
ha ha J Soy is probably correct. I don't even acknowledge Theeve. I'm too old and stubborn to take such a risk. Indy, Thunder, Ace only... maybe Krux.

But to the dude who posted above. Stage 11s are far better than 9s. 8s and 9s were the worst. Go ahead and get some 159 Stage 11s. They are probably closest to what you are used to. Stage 169s are now 9.125" wide I believe.

What was wrong with 8s? I only had one pair but I don't remember much about em. 7s were the shit. 9 were the worst of all time. I've read that a few times about 8s but I can't remember much about them as I had stage 7s then got 8s not long before the 9s came out and 9s sucked so bad

Edit: actually if I recall correctly stage 8 may have been the first time I ever broke a kingpin leading me to buy stage 9 and becoming a turncoat using ventures asap
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:54:35 AM by fang »

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1826 on: January 06, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
What was bad about 9's? I'm riding an old set of stage 9 159's cause they're all I got for now until I can afford new 11's. They seem more or less the same, but I think they're lower or something cause they bite more than stage 11's, also a bit wider.

N.L.

« Reply #1827 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
8s and 9s didn't turn as well as the 11s. in my humble opinion. 11s returned to a deeper turning geometry. the kingpin was also pretty exposed with 8s and 9s.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1828 on: January 06, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Cheers, thanks for the insights. I'll go with the Indy's + Bones hards.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1829 on: January 06, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
 Indy replacemet bushigs.  Conical or cylinders ? What's the difference /pros and cons of each?

Conicals = more turny and cylinder = less turny but more stable or am I way off?